Customs Cracking Down On Us Shipments & Returning Them To Sender

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

Just thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has had a similar experience lately.

Last month I had 2 records sent back by customs with no explanation. Nothing  too expensive (both records were in the $40-60 dollar range), but I did as always declare a low value on the customs form.

Yesterday I was at the post picking up a package thinking it was a record I was waiting for. It turned out to be 2 vespa speedometers that I had shipped to the UK. No explanation. There was a tab on it that the postal worker removed and refused to let me see.

I emailed the buyer to tell him what happened and that I had reshipped the speedos except this time I gift wrapped the box hoping that customs would have enough of a heart not to open something that is gift wrapped. 

The buyer informed me that this is the 2nd time this has happened to him this year, which was surprising as I expected him to assume I feeding him a lie.

Have any of you guys across the pond had a similar experience?

Social source share

I had to pay duty on a record I bought from the USA a few weeks ago.

The record cost £170, I had to pay £33 tax plus post office admin fee of £8.

The post office make money by acting as tax collectors.

I am minded to register the imports directly with HMRC and save myself the post office admin fee.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

Records made in the 60's should rate 75 cents on the paperwork. Finders fees agreed mutually should kept separate. Hard working crate diggers and dealers deserve their fees but there is no reason that they be factored into a customs ticket.

^^ for that reason. I've sold tons of records to members on here, not once has anyone NOT asked me to do so on customs forms.

Plus....this is a UK website, I am from the states. I didn't state which/ nor where these specific transactions took place. Who do I have to fear?

Social source share

• its time maybe ebay took on the postal services but that will take major complaints from all ebay users of every product purchased, supplied and by public pressure it might work lets face drop of a hat our country goes to war with someone!!!!!!!! sponsored by the majority tax payers.
  • im doing a bit of buiss with aus at the moment so far no probs got a batch of  white stickers fill em in put paperwork if its one record put 2nd hand records /used if more, doing ok at moment , I use to in between 2003-2007 send dollars to state convert here and then mail dollars their, funny enough costing's were similar and always worked (this is the time I was using my private earnings to sponsor the records)!!!!
Social source share

Just thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has had a similar experience lately.

Last month I had 2 records sent back by customs with no explanation. Nothing  too expensive (both records were in the $40-60 dollar range), but I did as always declare a low value on the customs form.

Yesterday I was at the post picking up a package thinking it was a record I was waiting for. It turned out to be 2 vespa speedometers that I had shipped to the UK. No explanation. There was a tab on it that the postal worker removed and refused to let me see.

I emailed the buyer to tell him what happened and that I had reshipped the speedos except this time I gift wrapped the box hoping that customs would have enough of a heart not to open something that is gift wrapped. 

The buyer informed me that this is the 2nd time this has happened to him this year, which was surprising as I expected him to assume I feeding him a lie.

Have any of you guys across the pond had a similar experience?

Had these packages left the US and come back? Or had they been rejected for international shipment (i.e. never left the US)? Just trying to understand what you are saying like.

Social source share

I agree. We aren't buying new goods here. We are buying 1960's records that have been payed for and taxed already in the 60's. To 99.9% of the population they are worthless pieces of junk.

Post them in a proper mailer with proper cardboard packers, mark as a gift with a value of $10, and they will get to this country very quickly and with no problems. 

Problems occur when US sellers pack a 45 in a huge box that would be more suitable for delivering pizza.  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I agree. We aren't buying new goods here. We are buying 1960's records that have been payed for and taxed already in the 60's. To 99.9% of the population they are worthless pieces of junk.

Post them in a proper mailer with proper cardboard packers, mark as a gift with a value of $10, and they will get to this country very quickly and with no problems.

Problems occur when US sellers pack a 45 in a huge box that would be more suitable for delivering pizza.

Biggest parcel for a 45,now there's a whole new topic :)
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought an expensive 45 (about 400 €) on Yahoo Japan with Japan Auction Center (Jauce) as an intermediate. 

Once in France customs taxed 100 € + 20 € processing fee.

There is an important risk of being taxed by customs when using the services of an independent carrier. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought an expensive 45 (about 400 €) on Yahoo Japan with Japan Auction Center (Jauce) as an intermediate. 

Once in France customs taxed 100 € + 20 € processing fee.

There is an important risk of being taxed by customs when using the services of an independent carrier. 

Very truie had exactly the same with Fed Ex. Your bill is £191 - pay up..... :-(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I don't see why a used record should carry Vat almost everything used in this country is Vat exempt with the exception of used commercial vehicles and PSV's Etc. These 45's would be 50cents each  or 3 for a dollar in junk shops if it wasn't for the demand we created!! agree with paying a finders fee but Bo**=cks  to Vat on used Items!! :wicked:

We monitor the cost of goods and services at work, and in all of our 2nd hand areas (ie cars) the goods are all VAT exempt, as it is assumed that VAT was paid on the item when sold initially.

Unfortunately we dont include second hand items bought from abroad, but logic dictates that the same rule should apply.

They grey area is I guess if someone turns up records that may or may not have ever been retailed. And I think this may be where the govt is cracking down.

Social source share

We monitor the cost of goods and services at work, and in all of our 2nd hand areas (ie cars) the goods are all VAT exempt, as it is assumed that VAT was paid on the item when sold initially.

Unfortunately we dont include second hand items bought from abroad, but logic dictates that the same rule should apply.

They grey area is I guess if someone turns up records that may or may not have ever been retailed. And I think this may be where the govt is cracking down.

Like it or not, VAT is payable on the current value of the goods imported, not what they were worth in 1966. HMRC  are well aware about how valuable old records can be.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I hate receiving 45rpm records in LP boxes. For starters, they are easier to break deliberately if you are that way inclined. The average letter box is only nine inches wide so hardly suitable for a pizza box. Plus you look a right tosser walking back from the parcel office with one under your arm, cursing the fool who sent it as you have to spend Saturday morning in a queue of hacked off people collecting stuff the posties allegedly 'tried to deliver' ho ho ho...

Social source share

Like it or not, VAT is payable on the current value of the goods imported, not what they were worth in 1966. HMRC  are well aware about how valuable old records can be.

Most old records in the States sell for a buck. Got a Charades on MGM this summer for 25 cents but wouldn't have grumbled if it had been put in the 50 cent or dollar pile. Until the fun-stoppers are provided with Manship Guides, the trade could continue without bureaucratic interference.

Social source share

Ebay's Global Shipping Programme is not helping!!! Put's a fortune onto the price of a record!

I always ask the seller to post through the regular USA Post Office instead.

Social source share

Where in the States are you shopping?

This was Los Angeles. Found the same in upstate New York in Buffalo and Rochester in August. Been in Austin this Easter where collectors items are a few bucks but still a dollar in antique malls and the lesser known stores. Easter trip 2013 to Texas, found a Jades on Nitelife in the 10 for $20 bin - took me half an hour to choose nine records I didn't want to avoid closer scrutiny at the checkout.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
Social source share

One american seller said to me " I have no problem putting five dollars on your packet. The truth is I paid a dollar for it a week ago, just because some crazy english guy wants to pay me 100 dollars for it doesn't make it worth any more than the dollar I paid for it. It cannot be worth both one dollar and one hundred dollars can it? Which is the true value? You cant say the one hundred because thats the newest price it sold for because tomorrow you might be broke and have to sell it for a loss for fifty dollars"

Food for thought?

Interestingly, the dictionary defines value as "an estimate of monetary worth" - I think the key word here is estimate, what you might pay for a vg minus copy of Bob & Fred for example, isn't what I as a veteran collector (and therefore an ' expert' :wicked: ) would say it's worth

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thats Fine if you're a record dealer and Vat Registered, you claim the Vat back on you're quarterly returns!! But not much good if you're not in the record business!!! Can't see H.M.Customs & Excise being too chuffed if you start sticking your private record collection Vat on your business account!!! :no:  :no:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!