Arthur Lee Died

Arthur Lee the leader and songwriter of the LA 60s psychedelic group Love has died in Memphis yesterday of Leukemia. The group's third album "Forever Changes" is cited by many as the greatest of all time and I concur.

Arthur produced Rosa Lee Brooks 'My Diary' on Revis and was mildly amused to see I had a copy a couple of years back when I collared him for an autograph. He was an utterly brilliant geezer.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Arthur Lee the leader and songwriter of the LA 60s psychedelic group Love has died in Memphis yesterday of Leukemia. The group's third album "Forever Changes" is cited by many as the greatest of all time and I concur.

Arthur produced Rosa Lee Brooks 'My Diary' on Revis and was mildly amused to see I had a copy a couple of years back when I collared him for an autograph. He was an utterly brilliant geezer.

He did a gr8 version of "Be thankful for what you got" in the 70s as well.

Social source share

Sad to hear that, Seven And Seven Is and Alone Again Or are among my favourite tracks. he came over and played a couple of years back at one of the Creation do's I think. As for Forever Changes...I've never understood why this is so acclaimed, same as I've never got Astral Weeks, I think I've bought it about 4 times now and only listened to the singles. When John Reed used to be at Record Collector I used to speak to him every week and every time he'd try to persuade me this was the best album of all time. I've now got the remasterd and expanded edition on cd and it's still in it's shrink wrap ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest hammy

Forever Changes is the best record of the 60s - there is nothing on a par with it, no other record that reveals itself in new and mysterious ways on each listen. Sure, it's spawned a lot of pretence and cliche but - christ - what a record.

Arthur Lee - a great loss.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Forever Changes is the best record of the 60s -

Sorry, Hammy, it's not even the best Love album, never mind the best album of the 60s (I refer you to either "Safe As Milk" or "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" for that...) .

The Love album to end all Love albums was and always will be their first. "Signed D.C.", "Softly To Me", "Can't Explain" and, of course, "My Little Red Book". Now really, what gets better than that on "Forever Changes" ? Not a whole lot IMO....

TONE :thumbsup:

PS: Oh yeah and BTW Pete, "White Light White Heat"s always been better than "VU + Nico". Might as well argue with everyone while I'm here!

Social source share

This isn't a discussion about which is meant to be the best album of the sixties, it's a tribute to a great musician who just died. Start another thread if you want to.

Tabitha the Clark & Hillsdale is a reference to the two streets that border the block on Sunset Blvd where the Whisky A Go Go was. The songs about the people who frequented the club. I was sad enough to have my photo taken (by one of the Zombies) by each of the street signs.

Social source share

The Love album to end all Love albums was and always will be their first. "Signed D.C.", "Softly To Me", "Can't Explain" and, of course, "My Little Red Book". Now really, what gets better than that on "Forever Changes" ? Not a whole lot IMO....

TONE :thumbsup:

It's the whole LP, full of insights and philosophies which can affect your life if you let them. 'Bummer In The Summer', 'A House Is Not A Motel', 'Clark Ans Hillsdale' and the utterly brilliant 'You Set The Scene', which vies with the Beatles' 'A Day In The Life' as the best LP track ever. All of those surpass any of the above and I'm a massive fan of 'Little Red Book'

Social source share

Guest Dante

RIP Arthur Lee...

The first Velvet Underground & Nico album apart from the last 2 tracks on side 2, is the best album of the 60's. Just in my opinon.

A great album, maybe in the top 10 of the bests in history. Lou Reed is one of the best composers IMO.

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

I got the bus from Glasgow to London to catch their first appearances here. A later version of Love of course. I saw them at the Roundhouse and then Walthamstow College. I spoke to Arthur then and a good few years later when they played Glasgow for the first time when he was in his heavy rock phase.

After reading reviews of some of his other tours i stayed clear for another few years but I was really glad to catch the Forever Changes Tour. A great gig from a great band.

Our local commercial radio station invited fans to come on and discuss their favourite band. I wanted to do The Velvet Underground but somebody else got in before me so I did Love. Two hours before midnight on a Tuesday. As a Glaswegian of course I visited the pub beforehand and arrived with a carry out on the night the Radio Authority paid a surprise visit. I think they enjoyed the music. "Don't darken our doorstep again" were the parting words of the presenter and music controller.

Social source share

Truly sad and a great loss.

Love's self-titled as well as Forever Changes were some of my earliest favorite records as a kid. In college, my parents had a dodgy roommate who stole all their Beatles records and replaced them with Love records. My mother never forgave him but I couldn't've been happier when they all ended up in my collection!

:lol:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Sorry, Hammy, it's not even the best Love album, never mind the best album of the 60s (I refer you to either "Safe As Milk" or "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" for that...) .

TONE :lol:

PS: Oh yeah and BTW Pete, "White Light White Heat"s always been better than "VU + Nico". Might as well argue with everyone while I'm here!

Sorry to hear about Arthur....shook his hand at the Rocket and it was my privilege to follow his act with my set....never a harder act to follow - aided by Caroline sliding frontways down the roadies slide :lol: Blimey :lol: Postings on Capt. Beefheart and Lou....wow...I must be on acid - White Heat is awesome :lol: Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!