Rick Foster 'one Of The North West's Finest' Rip

Goldsoul

I'm devastated, the laughs we used to have at the mill watching you tube clips instead of working, just magic times with Rick and Tim. 

You will be very sadly missed my friend. Can't believe you won't be there to greet me as I top the stairs at the mill ever again. RIP soul brother.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It's a cruel world that takes away lifes good un's but leaves people that aren't worthy to shine Ricks shoes. RIP Rick. I'll miss that moustached grin. It's been quite a while since I'd been in his company, but he'd light up a room with his presence ( if he wasn't blocking the light with his height) and humour. I feel so sad now. As everyone has said, he was a true gentleman.

Edited by lovemusic
Social source share

I am very saddened to learn this news.It was always 'Hi,is that Tim? No it's Rick' when i phoned.I met him only once when i rocked-up at the mill because i was up that way,on business.Both Rick and Tim were most accommodating to an unexpected visitor,and showed me around with such proud courtesey,even though there had been a recent sewer problem,whereby initially i thought i'd walked in to the aftermath of a world championship farting contest.I still have a whole bunch of the paper sales lists: 'just found a pile of these under Ricks' train spotting magazines'!! Happy days.Sleep well,Rick.God bless.Les Ash.

Social source share

Very sad ..knew it was coming but a hammer blow..what a guy rick was he used to send me and our lad tapes over and really opened our minds up and tastes in soul music around ..and only up to a 2-3months ago recommendations of tunes would come via text or a quick chat on the phone...also picked him up when he was stood at the bus stop..2-3 times.I was going in totally opposite direction..I owed him always will...but he was sorth turning round for what a laugh...it didn't matter how late home I was...he was worth it..he was nice on the phone but hell of a guy to meet

gonna miss rick badly...I'm in Cyprus so gonna miss funeral...god bless you rick

dave and paula longbottom

Social source share

"the voice on the phone"....distinct and unique....never a dull moment known, for rick that would be an impossibility, a broad smile and a ready-at-hand quip...from the get-go his persona struck you...always a positive attitude toward life...and he did love life.....and he knew he was going to be taken from us so quickly, but didn't want to go.....the strongest person's heart is so fragile and it's hard to hold back the tears....RICK FOSTER was a truly amazing soul, his presence was profound....now there is void, perhaps the best we can do is fill it with lovely memories of someone so kind and gracious, gone from sight but not from our hearts or minds...todmorden has had it's fair share of sadness for a small community, it will fall no more harder than now for a true son, well respected and well loved...god bless diane and all her family, and keep them....rest in peace,our dear friend, ....RICK

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Rick will be missed by so. so many people; he was "one of the family" to everyone who rang that number.  We would like to extend our deepest sympathy to his wife and family.  We have known Rick for many years and been in his company at many soul events - Essence, Wilton....  Although he didn't get out on the soul scene much these last few years, he did attend the Debbie Taylor concert last year, and never stopped talking about it.   He was really looking forward to seeing Marvin Smith this year.  We will dedicate that night to Rick's memory.  We have spent countless hours with Rick and Tim and Linda at Anglo, drinking tea, eating sandwiches, accompanied by many a belly laugh from Rick and one-liners from Tim. 

Rest in Peace, Rick, God bless, you will never be forgotten.

Dave and Val

• Helpful 2
Social source share

We are still in shock, Graham Harland let me know last night.

Tim said he had not been well, last time l talked to him, but l did not realize he was that ill.

We had not seen him for a while, but we had some great times with Rick over the years, at the mill and on nights out.

He was one of the best lads around, and will be truly missed.

Rick Foster R.I.P. 

Sending our love to his family, Dave & Lou. xxx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think everything I had thought to write about Rick has been posted up above.

But to say, you know just by talking on the phone that he was one of the good guy. Always had a pleasant manner and seemed happy in life.

I always sent my wants to Anglo and nearly always got the reply off Rick,so when I messaged last week and got the reply off Tim,I made a point of asking how Rick was, after knowing he had been having treatment.

Sadly I got the email message today to confirm the news :(

R.I.p Rick, you will most definitely be missed by us all and especially Tim,who told me that you will be irreplaceable!

Social source share

Can't believe it... great guy... he always sounded genuinely pleased when he still had the record you rang for ... and disappointed for you when it was gone..

Had some great laughs with Rick and Jan Barker at soul events in the UK over the years.. but one that sticks out was at blues estafette in utrecht Holland. A big group of soul fans were in a bar taking turns playing pool with Bobby Patterson , and Bobby was beating all comers. When it came to my turn I potted everything in sight and beat Bobby ( this was pure fluke as I'm a crap pool player).  But Rick whispered in Bobby's ear that I was the Irish national pool champion.. Bobby was chomping at the bit to play me again, but I kept turning Bobby down (as I knew I would be found out) and Rick was in the background with Jan and both of them cracking up.

R.I.P Rick...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Really sad news, I didn't know Rick well at all, but as hundreds of soul fans who called after tracks from the list, his  warm and friendly voice will be missed immensely.

The only time I went to the mill was to photograph Tim. Rick was very entertaining and really pleasant after a very long journey from the midlands. So the picture shows Tim looking out of shot, which was my idea, but didnt really work,  and Rick is beaming in the back ground...!

Rest in Peace...

Malcolm

post-2025-0-72114700-1412159728_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Spoke to Rick many times over the last 20 plus years but only ever met him once. A thoroughly genuine nice guy, always a pleasure to deal with. From conversations with Tim learned the extent of his illness and the fact that it was a matter of time. That period of time passed far too quickly and truly a sad loss. Deepest sympathies to his family and I know he will be sorely missed by Tim and the many others that were fortunate enough to have known him.

R.I.P Rick.

Social source share

Guest Mr Ms DJ

Utterly gobsmacked had many a good laugh and chat with Rick .so glad to have known him , rest in peace mate .ian & Angie wills

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!