Chanson Label Listing

Godzilla

Thanks Lars. The Ike Noble in the discogs listing is a weird one: it's supposed to share its cat number with Charlie Chuck 1177, yet there's no reference to that number on the label. Same 'Czar music' and H Collins credits as other Chanson releases though.

Anyone know what 1181 is?

Social source share

The way it looks now I think the Ike Noble was released much later than the other 45s on Chanson. Label design is different and most references in billboard is to activity back in 1970.

The cat number is on the right hand side of the label. Small print. Czar music was also J.M. Brown.

An old discussion on here raises a question:

Was Ike Noble issued on three labels, and if so, which was the first one? Looks like Chanson may have been the second issue.

Social source share

I was told the Unlimited Four were from Toledo by someone else (they could have seen the same blog post but that looks pretty authentic). There were no good recording studios (for soul or rock music) in Toledo at the time so it makes sense they took the 1/2 hour drive to Detroit.

Social source share

I was told the Unlimited Four were from Toledo by someone else (they could have seen the same blog post but that looks pretty authentic). There were no good recording studios (for soul or rock music) in Toledo at the time so it makes sense they took the 1/2 hour drive to Detroit.

That's WHY it was listed as a Detroit record.  Toledo is essentially part of the greater Detroit metro Area, just as Camden, New Jersey is part of metro Philadelphia, Newark, Hoboken, and the rest of Northeastern new Jersey are part of the greater New york Area, East Chicago, Hammond and Gary, Indiana are part of Chicagoland, The Kansas suburbs are part of greater Kansas City and so on.

Lots of Detroit singing artists, session players, songwriters producers came from Toledo.  Most artists from Detroit and southeastern Michigan played venues in Toledo, as well.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The label was from Toledo, Ohio and owned by Howard Collins. He live there but also worked in Detroit and for Motown at one stage. Most of the artists were from around the Toledo area, Ike Noble was living there at the time, Charlie Chuck owned the main black radio station. Howard moved down to Nashville with his job in the 80's, where he still lives today. When Howard left Toledo he left most of the over stock from the label in the basement of his old house. He contacted the now owners in the 90's but it had, by that time gone.

Toledo had it's own music scene, with labels like Chanson, Glass City, Clarks, Walking Tall etc. It also had a vibrant club scene and a major concert venue. Along with this was Charlie Chuck's radio station which signal went up as far as the outta suburbs Detroit, Youngstown and Cleveland. So with it location half way between Detroit and Cleveland many musicians went to work in both these cities also. The draw of Motown was immense as we all know, so yes many went up there looking for a break.

This label has no connection to the Texas one

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A few additions in red to what's in Discogs

1000 - Clentt Gant - Storms End / Certainly

1001 - Clentt Gant - I'm A Lucky So And So / I Need You So

1003 - Clentt Gant's Combo - So Hi-So Lo / Stormy Weather  ........ appears in Billboard May 30 1960

1004 - Clentt Gant - Growing Strong / If I Could Pretend

1005 - Clentt Gant - Just Like You Like It / All Mine  ........ also got a release on Duke

1006 - Majestics - Oasis Pt 1 / Oasis Pt 2

1007 - Majestics - Riding By / Safari

1008 - Majestics - Blue Flame / ?   ............... on Moerer's site

1177 - Ike Noble - Your Love / Your Love Has Got Gusto

1177 - Charlie Chuck - Curiosity Kills / Disc Jockey Rap

1178 - Unlimited Four - I Wanna Be Happy / Calling

1179 - Mel Hueston - Double Confusion / Time and Patience

1180 - Unlimited Four - Slow Down / Walk Away Lover

1181 - Unlimited Four - Somebody Help, Please / True Love Is Hard To Find (I Believe In You)

1182 - Evalene Braden - Somebody Else / That's What Soul Is

1184 - Bobby Shaw - Couped Up Apartments / Miserable World  ........... appears in Billboard Nov 13 1971

1002  , 1183  ????

another interesting thread

Social source share

The label was from Toledo, Ohio and owned by Howard Collins.

This label has no connection to the Texas one

The commemorative bill I linked to earlier says the label was started by J.M. Brown. Billboard refers to J.M. Brown as President of Chanson.

There is no Texas label. It was a misprint in R&B Indies (TX/TN). The label is from Pulaski, Tennessee.

Howard Collins may have been co-owner?

Social source share

A few additions in red to what's in Discogs

1000 - Clentt Gant - Storms End / Certainly

1001 - Clentt Gant - I'm A Lucky So And So / I Need You So

1003 - Clentt Gant's Combo - So Hi-So Lo / Stormy Weather  ........ appears in Billboard May 30 1960

1004 - Clentt Gant - Growing Strong / If I Could Pretend

1005 - Clentt Gant - Just Like You Like It / All Mine  ........ also got a release on Duke

1006 - Majestics - Oasis Pt 1 / Oasis Pt 2

1007 - Majestics - Riding By / Safari

1008 - Majestics - Blue Flame / ?   ............... on Moerer's site

1181 - Unlimited Four - Somebody Help, Please / True Love Is Hard To Find (I Believe In You)

1184 - Bobby Shaw - Couped Up Apartments / Miserable World  ........... appears in Billboard Nov 13 1971

1002  , 1183  ????

another interesting thread

The Tennessee label cat No 1000-1008 is not related to 1177 - 1184 label, which is the Toledo, Ohio label.

I know Howard and his wife Susan really well. have chatted to them many times about their Toledo label. At the time the Tennessee label was running Howard was working in Toledo and Detroit.

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

PS

Howard also owned Skippyophonics label which had The Magnificent Opinions on it and Connowil which he put out more Ike material on. In 2002 he put out a CD LP on his Reppiks label, which contained some previous unreleased Ike vocals, laid onto contemporary backing, plus a couple of remakes. The album title is The d'Kalendars - Hotter than heat, the Ike songs are killas

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

1000 - Clentt Gant - Storms End / Certainly ......... Billboard 7. des 1959

1001 - Clentt Gant - I'm A Lucky So And So / I Need You So ........ Billboard 23. jun 1962

1003 - Clentt Gant's Combo - So Hi-So Lo / Stormy Weather  ........ appears in Billboard May 30 1960 AND Billboard 23. jun 1962

These records must have been circulating for quite some time.

Social source share

Then who is J. M. Brown?

attachicon.gifChanson2.PNG

And why are both labels always publishing through Czar? Czar was also started by James Monroe Brown who ran the Tennessee Chanson.

I'll ask Howard, but it could well have been a DJ. It was common to give DJ's titles at record labels, like president, head of A&R etc, that way you got yor records played

Social source share

I'll ask Howard, but it could well have been a DJ. It was common to give DJ's titles at record labels, like president, head of A&R etc, that way you got yor records played

It would be great to hear from Howard on this :)

Brown also has writers credits on many of the songs released on the 70's Chanson label.

Social source share

Thanks for the input guys - great info here and the kind of thing that this site does so well. I've solved 1183, so this is what we have so for for the (Toledo) Chanson label:

1183 - Street People Incorporated -   Hurt's On Me, Baby / Someday We'll Be Together

1184 - Bobby Shaw - Couped Up Apartments / Miserable World 

The Street People Inc 45 is written by S Robinson  - presumably Sylvia and same as The Moments, which provides another link to All Platinum.

Do we think that's it or there any further releases?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chanson production credit and written by Skip August. I'd love to know how this fits with the rest.

Skip August had one (or more) record on J.M. Browns Tee Vee label: https://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=4025595

He's also credited on several releases from Skippyophonic.

Image from link added for reference:

post-1660-0-56313300-1412262954_thumb.jp

Edited by LarsC
Social source share

Chanson production credit and written by Skip August. I'd love to know how this fits with the rest.

Skip August had one (or more) record on J.M. Browns Tee Vee label:

Two by Skip on Tee-Vee...his "What Goes Up" is fabulous Northern and still under the radar :shhh:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

OK lets start with an apology. Sorry to those I disagreed with over the connection between all labels. Met with James Browns sister and spoke to Howard over the last two weeks. They were connected, the label started down in Tennessee with James running it. Skip August was Howard Collins, who got more and more involved, when he moved to Toledo, he started recording more artists up there and became Vice-President of the label. Howard then left taking his artists with him and started up Connowil Records. James did a licence deal with All Platinum to put some of the releases out. James died some years ago, I now working with all to try and pull the whole thing together.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Skip August was Howard Collins

Oh, that makes some connections even more fascinating. He used both names on some later releases on connowil and skippyophonic.

If you get the chance I'd like to find out who "M. Harrison" was. That name is credited on several songs.

And who was Charlie Chuck on Chanson?

Social source share

What started off as a fairly simple question has developed into a fascinating and informative discussion that in some respects has become something of a voyage of discovery, one that's resulted with the man at the heart of the mystery - your good self - popping up as if a musical genie from a bottle! 

Welcome to Soul Source, Mr Howard Collins aka Skip August.  :hatsoff2:

Always been a huge admirer of the recordings of the Unlimited Four on Chanson, by the way. Now I'll let the more knowledgable folks on here resume their discussion. 

Social source share

Hi Soul Source again. Recently, I posted information concerning my 50 years enjoying music. I've also noticed several questions that I will address: (1) I, Howard Collins AM "Skip August", (which is my "stage/show/performing name).  (2) I started playing guitar for James Brown of Pulaski, Tennessee after I got out of college. James released an artist named Clint Gant. I played guitar on the songs "Lucky So And So" and "I Need You So". James Brown made me vice-president of Chanson Records. I also was senior writer for several groups that I brought to Chanson Records/Czar Publishing/Tee Vee Records and J.B.P. Productions. Some of my groups on Chanson Records were "Skip August" and band, LMNOPs, The Kalendars, Mel Houston, Paul Griffin, The International Five, Charlie Chuck, and The Unlimited Four. ( 3) The agreement between Chanson and myself was that James Brown had me do the arranging/composing/songwriting and recording of my groups at United Sounds Studios in Detroit, and the "masters" would be shipped to James in Pulaski, Tennessee. Paul Griffin's "master" was taken to Toronto, Canada and released on Reo Records. (4) My group The Unlimited Four was first released on a BLUE LABEL on Chanson, but later picked up by All Platinum Records in New Jersey ( "I Wanna Be Happy","Calling","Walk Away Lover). (5) After my writing for my group The International Five ( So In Love With You / I Need You ), James had that group picked up by Starway Records. (6) James Brown kept me ("Skip August") on Chanson and Tee Vee Records, ( Shindig U. S. A. part 1, What goes up, Kalendars/It Takes Two Babe, I'll Love Only You, LMNOPS/Calling/"I Need You" ). (7) James Brown used Mel Harrison as his "road-man / A & R man / promotion man". But, the Chanson agreement was to list all of Chanson's  people at one time or another on our releases. (8) After working with James Brown for several years, I started my own licensed record labels ( Connowil Records, Skippyophonic Records, and Reppiks Records). I also established my own publishing company Skipper's Publishing Company, and I formed artists on my labels such as: Ike Noble, d'Kalendars, Heet 'n' Koolin' Sistm, Magnificent Opinions, and my newly formed group Pryoritea. My recording band d'Kalendars did much of the back-up recordings for our artists. As I have previously stated, I try to stay very quiet, or as one might say: "in the background". So, it took me over 50 years to mention these statements, plus the statement that I released earlier to Soul Source. The reason is that I am now putting my entire music business up for sale. I"ve enjoyed the years, and after I complete my new group Pryoritea's album, I probably will become quiet again (smile). Connowil Records artists can still be heard at cdbaby.com .

Thanks you Soul Source and all its friends. I hope I have answered a great deal of your questions.

Howard Collins / "Skip August"    

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Howard, thanks for clearing up some of the questions we had. I'm trying to clean up the listings of Chanson and everyone related to the label on discogs.com and you've made it a lot easier. Currently your profile is mixed with that of a jazz guitarist: https://www.discogs.com/artist/282559-Howard-Collins

I'm splitting them up, but just to be sure; You haven't had a jazz career, have you?

(If you don't know discogs.com it's a database that attempts to become a wikipedia for records. The site is built by contributions of volunteers.)

Social source share

Hello Howard, thanks so much for your answers and for all the years of writing and producing music. Were the International Five, LMNOPs, and Kalenders groups from Toledo?

I found several copies of the Magnificent Opinions records out here in Bellingham, WA.

Social source share

Hi George G,

The following artists that I discovered were from Toledo, Ohio: International Five, Unlimited Four, LMNOPs, Kalendars, Magnificent Opinions, Heet 'n' Koolin' Sistm, Ike Noble, Skip August, Paul Griffin, Mel Houston, and Charlie Chuck. Being very close to Detroit, Michigan, Toledo had some very good talent. A great number of these artists were later placed on one of my three labels: Connowil Records, Skippyophonic Records, or Reppiks Records. C D Baby is still playing soundbites on some of these artists.

Howard / "Skip"  

Social source share

Hi Godzilla,

Chanson #1181 was on my group The Unlimited Four: "True Love Is Hard To Find"/"Somebody Help, Please". Chanson #1177 was on another one my artist Charlie Chuck. When the #1177 was also given to my artist Ike Noble, that was a misprint. I brought Charlie Chuck to Chanson/Czar right before I brought Ike Noble to Chanson/Czar.

Howard / "Skip"  

Social source share

• 4 years later...
On 01/10/2014 at 12:08, Dave Thorley said:

The Tennessee label cat No 1000-1008 is not related to 1177 - 1184 label, which is the Toledo, Ohio label.

I know Howard and his wife Susan really well. have chatted to them many times about their Toledo label. At the time the Tennessee label was running Howard was working in Toledo and Detroit.

Dave

As you know Howard really well I wondered if you could ask him about the Four Tracks on Mandigo as I have a sneaky suspicion that he may have well been involved (arranged is H. Collins) and the label was from Toledo

I have been doing some digging about the group (which I can find nothing about) and this is the only connection I can find, it would be great to clarify :)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!