Dj Alias - Who Was First

Over the years many dj's on the soul scene have used an alias to dj with. But who was the first, why did they do it (taxman maybe) and can anyone tell us why they choose the names they did. Now I mean real aliases, not nick names like Butch.

A few I remember from the past

Frank (Ian Dewhurst), Famed Leed DJ

Kojack (The late John Harvey) Founder of Inter City Soul Club and the first Yate allniter

Blue Max (Max Millard), Cats DJ

Pep (Just forgot his real name) Wolverhampton, Wigan and the world

Soul Sam (Martin Barnfather) A little known DJ from somewhere up north

Colin Bee (?????) DJ and Manager of Shakatak

Colin Curtis (?????) DJ legend from the Mecca

Dave

Social source share

Pep was a nickname. He name is Ian Periera.

Twink and Mopsy - Samanthas

Over the years many dj's on the soul scene have used an alias to dj with. But who was the first, why did they do it (taxman maybe) and can anyone tell us why they choose the names they did. Now I mean real aliases, not nick names like Butch.

Kojack (The late John Harvey) Founder of Inter City Soul Club and the first Yate allniter

Dave

Was Colin Curtis's real surname Diamond ?

And Hector (From Selecta) was that his real name ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Dave

Colin Bee - Les McCutcheon?

TONE

Social source share

If he's the guy who used to DJ as hector (this is before my time slightly) his real surname was heathcote and there was a kids tv show in the 60's called hector heathcote, so thats where that came from

Social source share

Twink DJ'd at Huddersfield West Indian Club, Venn Street with Frank as Frank 'n' Twink.

Hector was his real name last seen at Red Records in Brixton, sporting trade-mark buck teeth. Lovely guy - more into house now I think.

Ginger Taylor of Ginger and Eddie maybe that name now needs some explaining to younger soul fans - he used to have ginger hair.

Can't remember Poke's real name?

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

Poke is Blair Haydn

Bub was just Bub (RIP)

Tony Blackburn was Lenny Gamble

Kenny Everett was Maurice Cole

Tats is Andrew 'Floyd' Taylor

:thumbsup:

But I dont know who was first.

Bet it was Maurice Cole!

Sean

Bub's ( bless him ) real name was DAVID BUTTLE

MALC BURTON

Social source share

Over the years many dj's on the soul scene have used an alias to dj with. But who was the first, why did they do it (taxman maybe) and can anyone tell us why they choose the names they did. Now I mean real aliases,

Brian Rae springs to mind.....AKA Thomas Brian Williamson !!!!

Jon Buck

Social source share

Brian Rae springs to mind.....AKA Thomas Brian Williamson !!!!

Jon Buck

i was gonna say ginger & eddie but ginger was pretty f*&king ginger so bit of a give-a-way really!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Hector was his real name last seen at Red Records in Brixton, sporting trade-mark buck teeth. Lovely guy - more into house now I think.

Two different Hectors then :thumbsup:

one was the first of the gang with a gun in his hand and the first to do time and the first of the gang to die, I think.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

what about john vincent aka vlad the impaler (count dracular) guess he called himself john vincent to throw that tony dellar aka (dr. van helsing) off the scent!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Is it because he's got a face like a Bulldog licking piss off a thistle?

I thought it was because he reminded people of the dominant half of a relationship between dungaree wearing ladies?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Two different Hectors then :thumbsup:

one was the first of the gang with a gun in his hand and the first to do time and the first of the gang to die, I think.

Well, I got this one at least, Pete - very good, mate!

TONISSEY :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest denmac

pete-s is correct about hector. his name is john heathcote and got his name from the the cartoon time traveller.

john also got the title " the real hector" after a reggae dj started using "hector". john was dj for the blow monkeys on a european tour and the posters had "the real "added to his name. he could not understand why everyone was bowing to him when they played in madrid.someone explained, real = royal..

denmac

willington 3rd sat every month.

Social source share

Who was 'Soap?' who used to DJ with Jim
I thought 'Soap' was Ray Hudson.

Bit of a play on 'The only time you will get Jim near Soap'....

Wasn't Ray Hudson......just trying to remember his name....used to Dj with Jim Eddlestone. He married/got together with one of lasses from Barnsley after he split from Liz, Josie if I remember rightly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought it was because he reminded people of the dominant half of a relationship between dungaree wearing ladies?

There should be a sub forum on here for such ‘golden posts’! That‘ll be at number two, number one being the one about being in a queue behind Levine with some sex toys.

(Aside, I thought a pair of dungarees was the difference between a lesbian and an elephant.)

Social source share

Colin Bee - Les McCutcheon?

TONE

When you booked Colin Bee, you might get Les or you might get his mate, who was I think Colin Berkinshaw? Les supplied the records & the Colin Bee Roadshow. Colin Berkinshaw? just fronted it sometimes.

Colin once told me that he didn't really like northern!

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I'm a bit too young to comment on this thread I suppose, but based on his age, and this story, I think Soul Sam must have been one of the first.

His friends at school (college?) tagged him Uncle Sam, because of his love of American music. As lots of you are no doubt aware, this went beyond black music, Martin being keen on rock 'n' roll too and I think still having some of his collection to this day.

When he started doing his mobile disco's, it was known as "Sam's Soul Sounds."

This turned into Soul Sam, which I think happened when he started getting involved on the scene.

QED.

Great stories aren't they......you can never have too many conversations with the likes of Martin! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Two different Hectors then :yes:

Very droll Mr Smith.....as my learned fellow Derbian Mr McDonald pointed out young Hector (from Selecta) is John Heathcote and is in fact the same Hector that went 'down sarf ' to work in Red Records. Besides rubbing shoulders with aforementioned Dr Robert of Blow monkeys fame the lucky sod got to meet the legend that is Curtis Mayfield when they got together on a collaborative project.

Social source share

correct real is Colin Dimond

Edited by giant
Social source share

apart from colin curtis whos actually changed the surname, anrnt most of the above just fooking nicknames like im known as (for obvious reasons) Johna or geordie johnson or geordie twat

if they were absolute changes like fred jones a.k.a dj Mark Randanzo or something like that i would call them an alias but cmon ginger etc !!!!!!

so is this thread how many djs go by their nicknames

Geeooooooordie

Social source share

apart from colin curtis whos actually changed the surname, anrnt most of the above just fooking nicknames like im known as (for obvious reasons) Johna or geordie johnson or geordie twat

if they were absolute changes like fred jones a.k.a dj Mark Randanzo or something like that i would call them an alias but cmon ginger etc !!!!!!

so is this thread how many djs go by their nicknames

Geeooooooordie

Alan Day changed his surname Geordie as did Chris King . I used to go to school with Chris albeit he is a few years younger , I 'm sure his name is O'Brien .

Edited by MAK
Social source share

There should be a sub forum on here for such ‘golden posts’! That‘ll be at number two, number one being the one about being in a queue behind Levine with some sex toys.

(Aside, I thought a pair of dungarees was the difference between a lesbian and an elephant.)

Simon.......... careful!

Social source share

gospel bob??...never heard him play any gospel recently...must remember to ask him next time

another vote for morrisey..top tune!....;-)..

(sorry off topic but... pete,reading a book about two tone and politics and happen to read last nite about costello tune...apparently 13000 made!...i heard only 2000..so not very rare at all really)

dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!