Ivy Jo Hunter

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ivy Joe Hunter only had a few release, he was mainly a writer and producer at Motown. Also this name always trows up confusion. There are three artists with similar name

Ivory Joe Hunter, great blues R&B singer

Ivy Joe Hunter, Motown House producer, writer and artist.

Joe Hunter, Member of the original Funk Brothers and the guy you see most on independant Detroit records as a producer.

Joe Hunter also got Ivy Joe Hunter his first break at Wingate records. Can't help with record as I wasn't there, love to know what it was there played though.

Dave

Social source share

Guest Darks

if i find out what it is i'll let you know

If I was to have a guess I would say " I can feel the pain" on V.I.P. Fantastic record and not at all easy to find. Wish I had one myself,

I think I'm right in saying that he sung under the title of "North by North East" in the 7os and cut a great 45 "pain of city living". Really underrated 70s dancer.

regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

There are two "Hunters" :

First is George Ivy Hunter from Detroit who is best known for his association with Motown records and whose best known Motown contribution is probably "I can feel the pain" on VIP.

The other is Ivory Joe Hunter, is a Texas blues piano player who recorded for a wide range of labels from the 50's to the 70's including Atlantic, King, Dot, Capitol, Smash, VeeJay, Goldwax, 2 releases on Veep in 1967, SS7, Epic and Paramount in the 70's. Best known northern release is probably "Every little bit helped me" on Goldwax 307 which was released in 1966 - a nice r&b styled northern beater.

Hope this helps

John

They play an Ivy Jo Hunter record at drax, does anyone know what its called and what label its on...Cheers Dave
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

They play an Ivy Jo Hunter record at drax, does anyone know what its called and what label its on...Cheers Dave

Probably this one, label is Vinyl Carvers Inc. :P

Ivy_jo.mp3

Social source share

There are two "Hunters" :

First is George Ivy Hunter from Detroit who is best known for his association with Motown records and whose best known Motown contribution is probably "I can feel the pain" on VIP.

The other is Ivory Joe Hunter, is a Texas blues piano player who recorded for a wide range of labels from the 50's to the 70's including Atlantic, King, Dot, Capitol, Smash, VeeJay, Goldwax, 2 releases on Veep in 1967, SS7, Epic and Paramount in the 70's. Best known northern release is probably "Every little bit helped me" on Goldwax 307 which was released in 1966 - a nice r&b styled northern beater.

Hope this helps

John

Sorry John

But there are three

Ivory Joe Hunter, great blues R&B singer

Ivy Joe Hunter, Motown House producer, writer and artist.

Joe Hunter, Member of the original Funk Brothers and the guy you see most on independant Detroit records as a producer.

I have meet both the Detroit ones in the last 4 years. Ivy Joe Hunter also came over to the UK for Chris King and I some years ago at Bretby, and last November I sat down in a room with Jo Hunter and Jack Ashford in Detroit for a chat, so I know there are two of them.

Dave

Social source share

Dave is right there are 3 of them.. i will be in detroit in october and will be visiting ivy jo motown singer and writter at his home, i will ask him dave about that wingate question. Don't stop loving me is awesome another great track is "where are you". he also did a version of "I'll always love" you which i play now and then. ivy is a great singer and songwritter. last time he was over i gave him my copy of dancing in the streets so he could get it gold plated.

Social source share

Dave is right there are 3 of them.. i will be in detroit in october and will be visiting ivy jo motown singer and writter at his home, i will ask him dave about that wingate question. Don't stop loving me is awesome another great track is "where are you". he also did a version of "I'll always love" you which i play now and then. ivy is a great singer and songwritter. last time he was over i gave him my copy of dancing in the streets so he could get it gold plated.

Don't forget to remind him of his recordings of;

YOU’VE GOT TO BE FOR REAL

ONLY THE LONELY WOULD KNOW

I CAN’T ESCAPE YOU MEMORIES

TO SEE THE SUN AGAIN

I REMEMBER WHEN

YESTERDAYS DREAMS

ASK THE LONELY

IT’S A DESPERATE SITUATION

SORRY IS A SORRY WORD

WITHOUT YOU (MY LIFE IS LONELY)

LIFE CAN BE ANYTHING