Soulin' Through The Smoke At 100 Oxford Street

Guest Juniorsoul

Guest Juniorsoul

Soulin' Through The Smoke, a written account of my first all nighter at London's world famous 100 Club 6T's 35th Anniversary All Nighter

Now, I've attended countless (Northern) Soul Nights in the 2 years (or so), since I was captured by Duke Browner's Crying Over You. But London town's 100 Club 6T's 35th Anniversary All Nighter was my first Nighter, and what a way it was to break my duck.

Give me feedback, much appreciated!

Dan
Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

SUPERB write up Dan!x Reminded me of my first 100Club and yup....it's still got it's 'magic I read'!x But...I would put it simpler.....it's a party!x Meeting Shaun and his Mrs upon arriving was a treat as it was for me seeing them last year for the first time at Kings Hall!x A dance venue if ever there was one and yup....your comment  'Ady Croasdell was putting Baby I Need Your Lovin’ back in his box '...made me laff with joy!x It was my lasting memory after my first 100Club...Ady putting on a classic Motown track on in his last spot......and because of that simple act of his.....we made friends back in 1993 and have remained so ever since......his 'it's in the groove' approach won my respect and support!x

Thanx for making the effort to share your experience with us all Dan....and the only constructive criticism I can offer you is....there are Gals as well as Guys in here....and on the scene.....and as your a Soldier for which I thank you and your bro for.......then reel ure language in SHARPISH!!x Be proud mate...but remember what it should stand for too...an example...and with your eloquence in print....u don;t need it bruv....honest!x

Thanx again for your enthusiasm and long may it remain...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

ujack.jpg

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

SUPERB write up Dan!x Reminded me of my first 100Club and yup....it's still got it's 'magic I read'!x But...I would put it simpler.....it's a party!x Meeting Shaun and his Mrs upon arriving was a treat as it was for me seeing them last year for the first time at Kings Hall!x A dance venue if ever there was one and yup....your comment  'Ady Croasdell was putting Baby I Need Your Lovin’ back in his box '...made me laff with joy!x It was my lasting memory after my first 100Club...Ady putting on a classic Motown track on in his last spot......and because of that simple act of his.....we made friends back in 1993 and have remained so ever since......his 'it's in the groove' approach won my respect and support!x

Thanx for making the effort to share your experience with us all Dan....and the only constructive criticism I can offer you is....there are Gals as well as Guys in here....and on the scene.....and as your a Soldier for which I thank you and your bro for.......then reel ure language in SHARPISH!!x Be proud mate...but remember what it should stand for too...an example...and with your eloquence in print....u don;t need it bruv....honest!x

Thanx again for your enthusiasm and long may it remain...X

LUV

SOOTY

X

ujack.jpg

Thanks for reading Sooty and thanks for the contructive criticism.

Yes, I understand that there are men and women on the scene, so as for the swearing, i think it's justified, i'm trying to give an accurate account of what happened. I don't think the emotions can be portrayed by writing 'fiddlesticks!' I'm a soldier as mentioned in the blogs tagline and i'm sure people will expect some colourful language. But I'll take what you've said on board and i'll try to tone it down a bit.

Cheers, 

Dan.

Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Dreadful. Hated it.

Brought back all the pain of not being there again :lol:

Well done Dan. Really caught the mood of going to an all nighter. Hearing records you love. Hearing records new to you. Meeting new friends. And just being caught up in the wave of everything happening around you. The bit about excusing yourself mid conversation to dance. I'm sure we've all been there many times. Its just something that shows how special we find the music.

Also great to hear Shaun was back there again. The 100 club is always more fun when he is in residence.

You are right about Elaine and Gareth as well. Two lovely people. Well until Gareth starts talking about how good Arsenal are .....

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Nice to see Parallax sliders in use on Soul related web site... were even 'analogue' when it comes to web sites!!!

I wouldn't advertise the fact its a word press site though, your asking to get hacked... best to change the bottom credit, and eighties theme credit, and you should be able to select a different permalink in your settings panel for your addy...

Mal;_)

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Nice to see Parallax sliders in use on Soul related web site... were even 'analogue' when it comes to web sites!!!

I wouldn't advertise the fact its a word press site though, your asking to get hacked... best to change the bottom credit, and eighties theme credit, and you should be able to select a different permalink in your settings panel for your addy...

Mal;_)

Haha! I'll get round to it! Still learning the whole wordpress thing!

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

Social source share

Thanks for reading Sooty and thanks for the contructive criticism.

Yes, I understand that there are men and women on the scene, so as for the swearing, i think it's justified, i'm trying to give an accurate account of what happened. I don't think the emotions can be portrayed by writing 'fiddlesticks!' I'm a soldier as mentioned in the blogs tagline and i'm sure people will expect some colourful language. But I'll take what you've said on board and i'll try to tone it down a bit.

Cheers, 

Dan.

Your welcome mate...X

Your a soldier Dan......and fiddlesticks coming from you made ,me pi** meself....JOB DONE!!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

These are 'ex soldiers' Dan....they look after profiled folk in Arab lands these days. If one of them swore in front of me I'd ram their gun up their ar*e sideways....if unjustified. Professional....or amateur? If they put it in print...after thought...and in charge of their digits.......I'd abandon them. As a Journalist....they value my connections and communication skills back here. Your young.....and perhaps I am a bit down the road.....and 'old school'....but the music mate.....and 100Club is our bond.....not soldiering.........so be free as u like...I respect that!x.

footballfans1.jpg

EDIT....with that I;m off back to the Med....I;m peeling...and can't be turning white init!!x So have a super weekend wherever you all go and I will look forward to reading the latest upon my return in a week or so!x

RIP Humanitarian Alan Henning...X

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Your welcome mate...X

Your a soldier Dan......and fiddlesticks coming from you made ,me pi** meself....JOB DONE!!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

These are 'ex soldiers' Dan....they look after profiled folk in Arab lands these days. If one of them swore in front of me I'd ram their gun up their ar*e sideways....if unjustified. Professional....or amateur? If they put it in print...after thought...and in charge of their digits.......I'd abandon them. As a Journalist....they value my connections and communication skills back here. Your young.....and perhaps I am a bit down the road.....and 'old school'....but the music mate.....and 100Club is our bond.....not soldiering.........so be free as u like...I respect that!x.

footballfans1.jpg

EDIT....with that I;m off back to the Med....I;m peeling...and can't be turning white init!!x So have a super weekend wherever you all go and I will look forward to reading the latest upon my return in a week or so!x

RIP Humanitarian Alan Henning...X

First and foremost Sooty, it's a rifle, not a gun! :wink:  And this isn't a professional blog, unless you want to pay me! :P  Like I said, just trying to portray an accurate account of my experiences, and I think some of the language captures that. But correct, this is about the music and about me telling people about my experiences as a youngster on the scene. I hope they enjoy it, as long as people are reading, I'll be writing it.

Enjoy your time in the med, I'll have a new write up on sunday about this weekends events!  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

First and foremost Sooty, it's a rifle, not a gun! :wink:  And this isn't a professional blog, unless you want to pay me! :P  Like I said, just trying to portray an accurate account of my experiences, and I think some of the language captures that. But correct, this is about the music and about me telling people about my experiences as a youngster on the scene. I hope they enjoy it, as long as people are reading, I'll be writing it.

Enjoy your time in the med, I'll have a new write up on sunday about this weekends events!  :hatsoff2:

...gun or rifle it would hurt!!!hehe!x Juniorsoul indeed.....nice 1 mate!x  I admire and support your effort to share your experiences with us Dan......but am also mindful of this....and it goes for all really......the scene is gonna get a massive 'surge' again because of the film and one or two National adverts I know that are in the pipeline using Northern tracks. It means every Journo for any mag and low life publication is scurrying around for articles/info on the scene! With that in mind.....it is us...that are the 'image' of the scene. Worth a second thought in all we do methinks....for the good of the scene!x Then your kids will be spinning @ the 100Club cos parents ain;t said ..."u ain;t going to that drug ridden blasphemous pit of iniquity melad!x" They could say that about any local pub serving an Army barracks too....but u know wot I mean Bruv!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...out of here.........look forward to reading your next article Dan.!!x

EDIT...can't go without spinning a tune for us both mate...and Motown featured as it always does with Ady at the 100 club!x A tune I like meself...and we;ve achieved it mate...you spoke...I heard....we made friends! Soulful sh*t...!x

B side of I think the original release of I heard it Thru the Grapevine on British....can be found at Boot Sales....for us Dan!x

100c.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

...gun or rifle it would hurt!!!hehe!x Juniorsoul indeed.....nice 1 mate!x  I admire and support your effort to share your experiences with us Dan......but am also mindful of this....and it goes for all really......the scene is gonna get a massive 'surge' again because of the film and one or two National adverts I know that are in the pipeline using Northern tracks. It means every Journo for any mag and low life publication is scurrying around for articles/info on the scene! With that in mind.....it is us...that are the 'image' of the scene. Worth a second thought in all we do methinks....for the good of the scene!x Then your kids will be spinning @ the 100Club cos parents ain;t said ..."u ain;t going to that drug ridden blasphemous pit of iniquity melad!x" They could say that about any local pub serving an Army barracks too....but u know wot I mean Bruv!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

EDIT...can't go without spinning a tune for us both mate...and Motown featured as it always does with Ady at the 100 club!x A tune I like meself...and we;ve achieved it mate...you spoke...I heard....we made friends! Soulful sh*t...!x

B side of I think the original release of I heard it Thru the Grapevine on British....can be found at Boot Sales....for us Dan!x

100c.jpg

Sooty youre a ****

I had forgotten how good this track was and not heard it for years, now gotta go and look for another one.

as for guns n rifles when I was in we refered to our personal weapon as  "Me gat"

All the best mate

Garry

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

100c.jpg

Yes, great record mate. One of the one's I've never got 'round to buying.

My first nighter was the 100 club too it don't get much better its a special place and well done a great read  :hatsoff2:

Great stuff. This is what it's all about. The scene needs young bucks like you to keep the floors filled. Sat navs suck - you could've  bought a company sleeve with the money...

Great read...well written pal.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, as long as people are reading it, I'll continue to write it!

Sooty youre a ****

I had forgotten how good this track was and not heard it for years, now gotta go and look for another one.

as for guns n rifles when I was in we refered to our personal weapon as  "Me gat"

All the best mate

Garry

Yeah, still referred to as a gat now mate.

Personally, I'd rather not carry the thing about, gets in the way. 'Nout worse than standing in the scoff queue holding your food, G10 juice and a frigging weapon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!