Paul Griffin "here I Come" On Canadian Reo. Mystery Record

Guest SoulShul

Guest SoulShul

Hi soul world, 

I'm a Canadian soul DJ and collector, and it appears I find myself stumped. I've recently discovered an absolutely brilliant two-sider on Reo Records, a Canadian label, by an artist called Paul Griffin. The a-side is an uptempo funky workout called "Here I Come", while the b-side is quite possibly the most beautiful mid-tempo soul ballad I've ever heard called "The Wonders of Nature and You". 

As with most Reo releases, there is a U.S. label that leased it to the Canadian company. In this situation, this Paul Griffin 45 appears to have 0 ties to any U.S. record companies. It is published by "Manitou" music. The word "Manitou" screams Canadian, as there are many lakes in Quebec and Ontario that have that name. The record was produced and written by Mel Harrison and Howard Collins (both sides). According to the Reo discography, this record came out in 1968. 

I've been trying to figure out the story behind this thing for a while now and really can't track down anything. I figured I'd turn this one over to the soul men on this page. Any info and thoughts would be highly appreciated!! 

Social source share

All the signs point to it being a Canadian production.  I seem to remember REO having some Canadian productions.  Manitou is the Algonkian word for "highest God".  I don't recognise Mel Harrison and Howard Collins as US Soul producers.  I've looked through millions of US and Canadian 45s.  I don't remember seeing those 2 cuts on a US 45. 

I DO remember seeing some US Paul Griffin records, but forget the label.

There is no reference to a US music publisher or an original US company production on the label.  My guess is that it was a Canadian production.   

I'm a little jealous.  I'd really love to hear "The Wonders of Nature and You".

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Hi soul world, 

I'm a Canadian soul DJ and collector, and it appears I find myself stumped. I've recently discovered an absolutely brilliant two-sider on Reo Records, a Canadian label, by an artist called Paul Griffin. The a-side is an uptempo funky workout called "Here I Come", while the b-side is quite possibly the most beautiful mid-tempo soul ballad I've ever heard called "The Wonders of Nature and You". 

As with most Reo releases, there is a U.S. label that leased it to the Canadian company. In this situation, this Paul Griffin 45 appears to have 0 ties to any U.S. record companies. It is published by "Manitou" music. The word "Manitou" screams Canadian, as there are many lakes in Quebec and Ontario that have that name. The record was produced and written by Mel Harrison and Howard Collins (both sides). According to the Reo discography, this record came out in 1968. 

I've been trying to figure out the story behind this thing for a while now and really can't track down anything. I figured I'd turn this one over to the soul men on this page. Any info and thoughts would be highly appreciated!! 

I've had this 45 for years and i'm positive it is canadian only , over the years tried most of the folk i deal with there and none of them ever found me any.But you are right the the wonders of nature side is brilliant just like a Steve Mancha 60's jobbie infact the backing track reminds me of another record but can't think what ....

Social source share

Somehow. My instincts tell me that this REO artist is NOT the famous NYC musician, Paul Griffin, singing an unprecidented solo; but, rather, a Canadian, - OR an American singer from Detroit, Cleveland or Buffalo, who recorded in Toronto, while gigging in southern Ontario, - similar to Jackie Shane's, Tobi Larks's, Marva Josies' and many others' situations.  I left Canada in 1963, so I wouldn't know which American singers were singing in Toronto Area clubs in 1968.  Maybe some others here can provide some insight into this question.

Social source share

The record was produced and written by Mel Harrison and Howard Collins (both sides). According to the Reo discography, this record came out in 1968.

That's interesting. Those two names could be Howard Collins and "M. Harrison" who are credited on most Chanson label releases.

We're currently discussing that label here:

Could you please provide a scan of the Paul Griffin record?

Social source share

That's interesting. Those two names could be Howard Collins and "M. Harrison" who are credited on most Chanson label releases.

We're currently discussing that label here:

Could you please provide a scan of the Paul Griffin record?

Here's the "Wonder" side:

ScreenShot2014-10-05at94338AM_zps0eb968b

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So, Mel Harrison and Howard Collins were producers/arrangers with Chanson Records in Toledo, Ohio (part of The Greater Detroit Metropolitan Area, and inside Detroit's music production and music venue area).  My theory above seems to be correct.  THIS Paul Griffin was NOT the NY session musician (piano/keyboards player), but was a Detroit Area singer, who was probably appearing a lot (and living temporarily) in The Toronto Metro Area, and, so, had a master produced by Harrison and Collins, leased to a Canadian company for release there, as he was known there from gigs, and had a following.  Maybe it was not released on Chanson or any US label, or maybe it was, and it has just not been found or identified yet for this context.

Social source share

Guest SoulShul

Yeah, pretty confident that there's absolutely no U.S.-related release. I'm going to post both sides of the record on YouTube in later tonight in order to share the fabulous sounds of this record with the world. 

Thanks for all the info and help guys! Makes sense, Toledo is just a 50 minute drive from Detroit / the Canadian border. Been there many times. 

Social source share

Chanson usually published through Czar, and later Gambi. Both publishers were connected to people connected to the label so why Manitou? Discogs has Manitou as a Canadian publisher. I think it was probably released only on Reo.

Maybe Harrison and Collins produced the session in Toronto, and, thus, had to publish in Canada, so they sold it to a Canadian publisher.  And, it seems that they didn't also release the record in USA.  If there were an original Canadian backer and executive producer, he'd probably have wanted to have his name or production company name on the record.  So, I think this is just a case of Griffin living and working in Toronto, having some success in local clubs, and wanting to have a record out to help market himself.  Maybe he had connections with Chanson's Harrison and Collins, and invited them to come across the border to produce his record.  They accepted, and got REO to release it.  I doubt that REO signed Griffin as an artist, and then sought out a US production team to produce a record on him.  They'd probably have fone to a Canadian producer in Toronto if they had initiated the project themselves.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi SoulShul,

I am Howard Collins, and my "show/stage/performing" name is "Skip August". I wrote, arranged, and composed both songs: "Here I Come" and "The Wonders Of Nature And You". Mel Harrison was the "road man/ A & R man / promotion man". Paul Griffin was a vocalist who lived in Toledo, Ohio. We drove to Toronto, Canada with the "master" recording and had REO RECORDS release both songs. This Paul Griffin is not the Paul Griffin with the New York write-up etc. . If you LIKE the songs that I wrote and produced in the past, you might LOVE my artists today: Ike Noble, d' Kalendars, Heet 'n' Koolin' Sistm, Magnificent Opinions, and my newest group Pryoritea (backed-up by my recording band d' Kalendars). I now own Connowil Records, Skippyophonic Records, and Reppiks Records, all of which free soundbites can be heard at cdbaby.com  . The majority of my recordings were done at United Sounds Studios in Detroit, Michigan. Before establishing my licensed record labels and publishing company, yes, I did work for Chanson Records/Czar publishing of Pulaski, Tennessee. I hope this answered several of your questions.

Howard Collins / "Skip August"   

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hi SoulShul,

I am Howard Collins, and my "show/stage/performing" name is "Skip August". I wrote, arranged, and composed both songs: "Here I Come" and "The Wonders Of Nature And You". Mel Harrison was the "road man/ A & R man / promotion man". Paul Griffin was a vocalist who lived in Toledo, Ohio. We drove to Toronto, Canada with the "master" recording and had REO RECORDS release both songs. This Paul Griffin is not the Paul Griffin with the New York write-up etc. . If you LIKE the songs that I wrote and produced in the past, you might LOVE my artists today: Ike Noble, d' Kalendars, Heet 'n' Koolin' Sistm, Magnificent Opinions, and my newest group Pryoritea (backed-up by my recording band d' Kalendars). I now own Connowil Records, Skippyophonic Records, and Reppiks Records, all of which free soundbites can be heard at cdbaby.com  . The majority of my recordings were done at United Sounds Studios in Detroit, Michigan. Before establishing my licensed record labels and publishing company, yes, I did work for Chanson Records/Czar publishing of Pulaski, Tennessee. I hope this answered several of your questions.

Brilliant !  :thumbsup:  This is what Soul Source is all about , thanks for sharing this .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On 11/7/2014 at 10:24, latitude11704 said:

Hi SoulShul,

Hello Howard, if you're still around here, could you tell me about the Betty Brewton record on Sue? You and Mel wrote both sides "Heavy Heavy Loving" and "Pershing Square". Was she from Toledo as well? The songs were copyrighted in 1968. I will also send you a message, thanks!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!