Music Released On Artist Owned Labels

From the fifties onwards soul music had a long history and a fine pedigree of talented groups, artists and singers who for whatever reason went down the independent route and did it their way for richer or poorer.

Labels were set up and their music was released on their own imprint..

Some were more easily identified than others.

Derek

post-1224-0-09247800-1412379228_thumb.jp post-1224-0-47106000-1412379235_thumb.jp post-1224-0-36961500-1412379250_thumb.jp

Social source share

Sam Cooke's SAR Records did have a release on him.  Ray Charles Tangerine Records did not (to my Knowledge) have a release by Ray, although his ABC releases at that time were listed as Tangerine Records productions.  There were hundreds of self-owned tiny record labels set up as a vehicle for the owner's solo or group recordings' release.

Social source share

cords did have a release on him.  Ray Charles Tangerine Records did not (to my Knowledge) have a release by Ray, although his ABC releases at that time were listed as Tangerine Records productions.  There were hundreds of self-owned tiny record labels set up as a vehicle for the owner's solo or group recordings' release.

Sam Cooke's SAR Records did have a release on him.  Ray Charles Tangerine Records did not (to my Knowledge) have a release by Ray, although his ABC releases at that time were listed as Tangerine Records productions.  There were hundreds of self-owned tiny record labels set up as a vehicle for the owner's solo or group recordings' rele

'Booty butt' / 'sidewinder' was the closest, credited as It was to the Ray Charles Orchestra.

Some others possibly- Glad-hamp (lionel hampton)

Bab-roc - roscoe gordon

Maycon - earl connelly

Bo-kay - eddie bo?

Ru-tee - rudy tee

Dig - johnny otis

Tou-sea etc - allan toussaint

Gay-shel - big bo thomas

... actually there's loads

Social source share

'Booty butt' / 'sidewinder' was the closest, credited as It was to the Ray Charles Orchestra.

Some others possibly- Glad-hamp (lionel hampton)

Bab-roc - roscoe gordon

Maycon - earl connelly

Bo-kay - eddie bo?

Ru-tee - rudy tee

Dig - johnny otis

Tou-sea etc - allan toussaint

Gay-shel - big bo thomas

... actually there's loads

Johnny Otis owned several of his own labels.  Dig's subsidiary was Ultra Records.  Otis also owned Eldo Records.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Oscar Perry's releases on Peri-Tone ie "Main String" "I Got What You Need" "Gimme Some" "It's Too Late" etc etc

"Come On Home To Me" the flip to both "I Got What You Need" and "Gimme Some" is simply wonderful

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Where's the smiley or the blue font?  A little bird told me that you're just pulling our collective legs, and you know that Bob Shad owned Brent and Time Records.

No joke Robb, I read somewhere that Brenton Wood owned the label, thanks for info though, its a great record though :yes:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

No joke Robb, I read somewhere that Brenton Wood owned the label, thanks for info though, its a great record though :yes:

Not on your own Kev, until now I always believed the same and like you I'm sure I read it somewhere. 

Social source share

Wow!  Who writes that drivel?  Brent and Time were located in New York, and Brenton Wood lived and worked in L.A.  I don't remember him owning any record company.  He bounced from one tiny L.A. label to another.  But all were owned by someone else.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Lloyd Price's Double L label springs to mind. No dynamite tunes here in the few I have but they do turn up regularly so must have sold well enough back in the day.

Isn't Ludix also Lloyd Price?

What about Washpan?

Dx

PS Wasn't Reprise owned by Frank Sinatra?

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!