Country Ain't Got No Soul

Guest Juniorsoul

Guest Juniorsoul

Maybe this belongs in the 'freebasing' section, if so, I apologise.

Here's my latest blog on my girlfriend, and why she needs to get excited about soul music!

https://juniorsoul16.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/roberta-hofstadter/

Again, all feedback is appreciated! Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

Dan :hatsoff2:

Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Actually Dan country music has a lot more in common with soul music than you probably think. There was a great thread about it on here a while ago.

Yeah, you're right there mate. I'm just trying to show the contrast between two in all honesty.

I'll try and find the tread, maybe I'll write another blog on it in the future

Edited by Juniorsoul
Social source share

Not the trick that I think you think you have missed, but have a listen to the Ace Compilation Behind Closed Doors: Where Country Meets Soul and Millie Jackson's On the Soul Country Side. I used to be of the I hate both kinds - Country & Western - inclination, but not any more!

Social source share

Maybe this belongs in the 'freebasing' section, if so, I apologise.

Here's my latest blog on my girlfriend, and why she needs to get excited about soul music!

https://juniorsoul16.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/roberta-hofstadter/

Again, all feedback is appreciated! Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing!

Dan :hatsoff2:

Yeah I enjoyed reading it Dan, but couldn't help hoping that your girlfriend is on Soul Source and reads it, Leonard Hofstadter :) Could have been worse, it could have been Howard's Mum  :thumbsup:

Social source share

country music loses me when they start yodelling.

that said, there is a lot for a soulie to like in country music. Dolly Parton sings love gone bad songs with all the feeling of a soul singer and there are many others besides.

northern Soul also is apt to borrow from country when it suits. Roy Hamilton, Barbara Mills, Betty O'Brien all having 45s well loved on the scene.

bobby Womack also handles country music well without losing his identity.

my dad was a country lover but I found his love of Jim Reeves a step too far.

the link reads like a soulie torn between his love of the music and the love of his girlfriend. Balancing the two is a challenge I guess most of us have to come to terms with. A mint first pressing of Sam Dees Lonely For You Baby would test me. Fortunately my wife likes it too so it will never come to that.

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Yeah I enjoyed reading it Dan, but couldn't help hoping that your girlfriend is on Soul Source and reads it, Leonard Hofstadter :) Could have been worse, it could have been Howard's Mum  :thumbsup:

She's not on Soul Source mate, but she has seen it, and approves. If I'd put it up without her approval, she'd have me by the balls! haha!

Social source share

White Line Fever - Merle Haggard - great song about driving trucks and taking drugs. Superb combination. His Workingman Blues is a good one too.

Nothing about taking drugs, it's all about his life on the road, the white lines are the ones on the road not up his nose, lol ...great song though, used to listen to a lot of c&w in the army on convoys in Germany....Phil

Social source share

Nothing about taking drugs, it's all about his life on the road, the white lines are the ones on the road not up his nose, lol ...great song though, used to listen to a lot of c&w in the army on convoys in Germany....Phil

I'm a full time dreamer and like to imagine that the centre white lines are a metaphor for the charlie.  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Written by Kris Kristofferson, this one sums up Johnny Cash perfectly for me as the voice of the............bum! hobo! drunk! waster! .....or put another way .......some ones son, daughter, mother, father or just another human being who happens to be down on their luck, and who but for the grace of god might be me or you ...............for me its got "Soul" by the bucket load

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5s1-Fe9FA

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!