Did Matta Baby 'do The Pearl Girl' Ever Come Out On Chess?

I'm buried in label copy today and had cause to check the Chess listings and suddenly bumped into this on an official Chess discography:-

2016 The Matta Baby Do The Pearl, Girl - Part 1 Do The Pearl, Girl - Part 2 1967

I've never seen this record on Chess. I presume the listing is wrong but it makes me wonder how it got there and what Chess 2016 actually is, assuming it's not Matta Baby. Anyone know?

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Chess distributed Richard Pegue's Penny Records at that time.  I NEVER saw Chess 2016 (Matta Baby).  I lived in Chicago at that time, frequented most of the record shops that had large stocks of soul records, and several of the major Soul distributors, and the thrift stores where many of the DJ copies landed.  I never saw it nor heard of anyone finding it.  There were several other small Chicago labels distributed by Chess at that time, that also used Chess catalogue numbers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

it came out on PENNY RECORDS ......and CHESS 2016 ...1967...https://www.globaldogproductions.info/c/chess.html

Both Global Dog AND Soulful Kinda Music discographies contain a few errors of that type (in which records were assigned but not released, or in which a distributed label used the distributor label's catalogue numbers, but there was no corresponding release by the mother label.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thought as much. Cheers Steve. That's a confusing number system for Chess isn't it?

Yes Ian I have collected the entire Chess singles from 64-76, and there are a number on a wealth of other labels like Rojac, East West, Lakeside, Magic Touch etc. and of course Penny. I think every Chess discography I have seen contains errors and a few reacords that never actually appeared.

I was going to do a book, one page on each one, with a picture of the label and a bit about it beneath.....it's something I might still do.

By the way I am missing The Matta Baby on Penny if anyone has an original for sale......

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

NOT on Chess only Penny….but with a Chess number, there were a number of records NOT on Chess with Chess numbering….Your question has been answered Ian.

Steve

Thought as much. Cheers Steve. That's a confusing number system for Chess isn't it?

I guess this explains why The Shirtails  - The Ceiling / Stay Away From The Fog appears on Checker listings as 1159. That's the cat number of the Prime label issue. I've never seen a Checker copy - has anyone else?

post-1918-0-62892200-1412598772_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I remember another version that got played at Cleethorpes -

South Suburban Rhythm Section - Libras Really Do Run It

Still got mine, any idea on value ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!