Non Rarity? (Dobie Grays Out On The Floor )

ulyssees

Bought a copy of Dobie Grays Out On The Floor on red Charger back in the 60's, paid exactly then what you would now......next to nothing.  It's always there at any record fair, sales box, car boot. So got to thinking, is there any issue of this record that is valuable?

I also love the fact that one of the greatest tunes is also one of the cheapest.

KIR

Yule

• Helpful 3
Social source share

So when was it first played / popular - Torch?

I remember dancing to this when I was about twelve at The Chambers club in Rochdale. That would make it about 1969/70 so possibly a Wheel hit?

BTW if any song should be our anthem........this is it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't remember it being remixed on that LP, but then again it was 30 years ago I last listened to it.

Looked for a youtube clip to upload but doesn't seem to be one.

Remix probably a bit of a misnomer, basically it is cut and pasted to give a longer version - presumably Neil Rushton would know more about it 

Social source share

I remember dancing to this when I was about twelve at The Chambers club in Rochdale. That would make it about 1969/70 so possibly a Wheel hit?

BTW if any song should be our anthem........this is it.

Some might say the same about That Beatin' Rhythm? Both are cornerstones of the scene. Richard Temple on a Mirwood promo looks nicer though. :-)

Social source share

So got to thinking, is there any issue of this record that is valuable?

I also love the fact that one of the greatest tunes is also one of the cheapest.

The stamped red Charger original with the Smaller Title Print is rarer and a little more value than the regular issue.

Everybody knows it but I still think it's a fantastic Northern Soul record!

post-9294-0-24437400-1412624703_thumb.jp

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Funny enough, Jerry Hipkiss played it this morning on his '9 after 9' on the GFM morning show. It's a great sound, played it a few months ago at an oldies do I did in Blackwood, South Wales. Peeps came racing to the floor for it, smiling faces around the whole room.

Yes, it's one of those tunes we all take for granted, and often pass over for a play because of that, but going through the boxes at the weekend the original fell into my hand...so I just thought it worth a spin!

Social source share

Tony Rounce mentioned on Facebook the other week that after listening to "The in crowd" for donkeys years he had never noticed that in the opening verse the backing singers actually sing "Out on the floor",

I must admit neither had I, :)

You pair of deaf gits  :lol:  it's loud enough!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, I am positive about Out on the Floor being played at the Wheel in the 60's. 

Not really surprising it isn't often mentioned in this context. It didn't achieve the kind of status it later attained but was another good, solid sound, like so many others.

I believe Dobie Gray's version of The In Crowd was played, although I personally never heard it there. The Ramsey Lewis version was the one at the time.

BTW, I have never seen a comprehensive playlist of Wheel sounds, It was something I wanted to see generated when I returned to the Soul scene a few years back now. 'As comprehensive a list as it is now possible to produce' was the aim and the Twisted Wheel Forum website seemed at the time to be the obvious repository, rather than start from scratch and reinvent the Wheel, so to speak. So I contributed a list of some 250 Wheel sounds to the site, of which 3 were initially refuted, then subseuently accepted. The Shakers, One Wonderful Moment was one, as I recall. Thelma Houton. Baby Mine possibly another. None, I think, were attributed. C'est la vie  Then the website disappeared into the ether, along with the playlist thus far and I've not had contact with either since. Nor. at the risk of being contentious, have I heard a satisfactory, properly representative 60's Wheel set played at any of the 3 venues since it's 'reopening'. I am not alone in this view.

Don't understand your comment re the Soul Sounds label, Pete (S). Apologies if I've mis-read you. They are all non-UK releases?   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Chris the inn crowd Dobie Gray was possibly the biggest record around in the spring of 1965 in the nw anyway. Every DJ worth his salt had it and played it in Mod clubs and Discotheques of the day it reappeared in later years but 1965 it was massive played everywhere pirate radio stations ect.

God bless mick L.

Social source share

Yes, I am positive about Out on the Floor being played at the Wheel in the 60's. 

Not really surprising it isn't often mentioned in this context. It didn't achieve the kind of status it later attained but was another good, solid sound, like so many others.

I believe Dobie Gray's version of The In Crowd was played, although I personally never heard it there. The Ramsey Lewis version was the one at the time.

BTW, I have never seen a comprehensive playlist of Wheel sounds, It was something I wanted to see generated when I returned to the Soul scene a few years back now. 'As comprehensive a list as it is now possible to produce' was the aim and the Twisted Wheel Forum website seemed at the time to be the obvious repository, rather than start from scratch and reinvent the Wheel, so to speak. So I contributed a list of some 250 Wheel sounds to the site, of which 3 were initially refuted, then subseuently accepted. The Shakers, One Wonderful Moment was one, as I recall. Thelma Houton. Baby Mine possibly another. None, I think, were attributed. C'est la vie  Then the website disappeared into the ether, along with the playlist thus far and I've not had contact with either since. Nor. at the risk of being contentious, have I heard a satisfactory, properly representative 60's Wheel set played at any of the 3 venues since it's 'reopening'. I am not alone in this view.

Don't understand your comment re the Soul Sounds label, Pete (S). Apologies if I've mis-read you. They are all non-UK releases?   

I think your 200+ list would be appreciated by many on here :thumbsup:

Social source share

As i,ve stated before it was played everywhere and I mean everywhere.every mod who had a record player had it  remember all the main towns in country had at least 2 or 3 mod soul clubs all the dj,s at the time played it.It was that popular it was accepted as mainstream.

GOD BLESS MICK L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Re a Twisted Wheel play list, Phil Scott and I did some painstaking research in the 90s and included one in CENtral 1179. BUT these were records that were popular i.e. played regularly. As soon as Imports became more attainable, roughly '69 onwards, DJs such as Brian Philips might spin a record a couple of times and you'd never seem to hear it again such as Derek Martin `If You Go` and Willie Mitchell `30 60 90`.

Edited by Funky 4 Corners
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!