Vel-Vets On Manship

And whats all that about west-coast styrene?........I don`t think i`ve seen anything else....and issues more than demos.

I have had a South American (Brazilian?) 33 which was vinyl but, and...........not that I take much notice as long as it plays ok......I thought all the originals were on styrene.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Which is scarcer issue or demo?

Neither are overly scarce, not much between really to make a difference in price.

Edit: just saw Petes reply....... :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Its not often I'm disappointed on here !

I thought you were all talking about " Loving on borrowed time "

That'll teach me to take in the group name spelling from now on !

Oh how my heart sank when I looked at Manships site and saw the other one !

£250 on a good day and £300 with the wind behind it !

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

When I'd picked myself up off the floor I thought the only explanation could be that 2 bidders put mental high bids more or less simultaneously but then I looked at the bidding history. They're actually outbidding each other intentionally! My second explanation is they're both shitfaced and suffering from red wine trigger finger:hypo:

Social source share

When I'd picked myself up off the floor I thought the only explanation could be that 2 bidders put mental high bids more or less simultaneously but then I looked at the bidding history. They're actually outbidding each other intentionally! My second explanation is they're both shitfaced and suffering from red wine trigger finger:hypo:

or they are just winding up the dealer

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who are these people? Is JM having a laugh and getting maximum publicity? I find this one hard to believe?

Because of the anonymity of JM's auction, he could basically do what he wants and create high prices. I have never met anyone who has owned up to buying one of these over priced auction items.

Not saying there is anything untoward going on, but it makes you think doesn't it?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

i'm speechless 'fell of my chair' who ever wins is from different planet

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

i'm speechless 'feel of my chair' who ever wins is from different planet

'Feel of my chair' too,Aaron. :) . Only JM can reach the levels others can't reach.Phil - no-one will own up ever,to buying over the odds from JM,too embarrassing for that. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who are these people? Is JM having a laugh and getting maximum publicity? I find this one hard to believe?

Because of the anonymity of JM's auction, he could basically do what he wants and create high prices. I have never met anyone who has owned up to buying one of these over priced auction items.

Not saying there is anything untoward going on, but it makes you think doesn't it?

I sold a couple of bits via JM auction a few years back and got good prices and real sales - Annette Poindexter 'Wayward Dream' and The Ultimates 'Girl I've been trying'. Both went for something like £450 which at the time (c. 10 years ago) was above what I was expecting. One went to Japan, the other Sweden. JM was great to deal with and all hassle free.

If he did hike the prices up behind the scenes I wasn't complaining at the time  :D

Social source share

Guest Stella Morris

Excuse me Mr. Kolalczyk, I take great exception to your constant sly and vindictive comments you have made about my employer John Manship Records, ever since John removed all your records from his auction after you insisted, at the last minute, on placing ridiculously high reserves, which we refused to do and your 45s were subsequently removed and given back to you.

I am personally fully in charge of the Raresoulman auctions and can tell you what you are implying is ridiculous and driven by motives only known to yourself.

As you have been told before, and most collectors already know, the Raresoulman auction server fully documents a complete bid history with every bid listed to the very second it is placed and who has placed it and of course all bids are confidential and genuine,  the auction history goes back over 10 years.

Please in future restrain your vindictiveness, remembering it was only your records removed, not a leg.

Stella Morris 

Social source share

We could all do that though mate.  I've auctioned two very big records this year, I never made bidders names public or said what the final bids were, people just had to trust me.  

Social source share

Guest Stella Morris

Pete S

The secret is I think a combination of many factors.

A  lot of our customers are not actually Northern Soul collectors and they are spread all over the world, my last count of auction members is nearing 18,000 with many only wanting mint or mint minus records.

And perhaps they like talking to me?

Edited by Stella Morris
Social source share

Pete S

A  lot of our customers are not actually Northern Soul collectors and they are spread all over the world, my last count of auction members is nearing 18,000 with many only wanting mint or mint minus records.

Have re-edited Stella, just added a ps.

Not about talking to you I'm afraid  :D

Social source share

Pete S

The secret is I think a combination of many factors. A  lot of our customers are not actually Northern Soul collectors and they are spread all over the world, my last count of auction members is nearing 18,000 with many only wanting mint or mint minus records. And perhaps they like talking to me?

Makes sense Pete, I've seen run of the mill stuff that has been mint go for much more than I would have expected. I know a DJ over here that only buys mint records even if they play well without any noise, only mint.

Social source share

Pete S

So if you have 18,000 people registered to auction, let's say that maybe 1000 would be active on one particular auction, now if I auctioned the same record I'd probably have ten people interested, therefore the probability of the people who are part of the 1000 pushing the auction prices to extreme levels are high, but in my little auction the ten people already know what they want to pay and aren't going to overstretch.  So this is why public auctions get prices higher than private auctions.  I think.

Social source share

Ah Stella my friend now as for loosing a leg did anybody hear  Jeremy vine program last Thursday on Rad 2 after the roller coaster incident with a dear in my necks of the wood Yorkshire well a woman with a prosthetic leg went on the  ride and just at that corner moment it flew off into the crowds wow, now that's what I call losing a leg there deff more than a grand.

great work on the auction site don't let john near it. !!!

Social source share

Ah Stella my friend now as for loosing a leg did anybody hear  Jeremy vine program last Thursday on Rad 2 after the roller coaster incident with a dear in my necks of the wood Yorkshire well a woman with a prosthetic leg went on the  ride and just at that corner moment it flew off into the crowds wow, now that's what I call losing a leg there deff more than a grand.

great work on the auction site don't let john near it. !!!

Aaaannnd........breathe! :hypo:

Social source share

I haven't sold or bought with JM for some years now but I have to say I always found him to be a very honest person, if he said "that is it" then it was. I suspect that a fair amount of his customers are people who value that and probably wouldn't part with large amounts of money via Ebay. Good luck to him.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Excuse me Mr. Kolalczyk, I take great exception to your constant sly and vindictive comments you have made about my employer John Manship Records, ever since John removed all your records from his auction after you insisted, at the last minute, on placing ridiculously high reserves, which we refused to do and your 45s were subsequently removed and given back to you.

I am personally fully in charge of the Raresoulman auctions and can tell you what you are implying is ridiculous and driven by motives only known to yourself.

As you have been told before, and most collectors already know, the Raresoulman auction server fully documents a complete bid history with every bid listed to the very second it is placed and who has placed it and of course all bids are confidential and genuine,  the auction history goes back over 10 years.

Please in future restrain your vindictiveness, remembering it was only your records removed, not a leg.

Stella Morris 

Sella, if you read the last paragraph of my post you will see that it is you who needs to calm down and get a grip. I have tried many times to burry the hatchet with John with regards to our misunderstanding, but he will have non of it. Indeed, he has shown nothing but venom towards my friendly overtures.

I even had to get someone else to bid on auction items because he wiped my details off the database. 

In short, very childish behaviour from someone who should act his age.

ps. you spelled my name wrong.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!