Vel-Vets On Manship

Guest gordon russell

it does seem strange that a collector who wants a certain soul record would stupidly bid way over a records value and not look around for another copy.........if he,s collecting soul records he/she must know the various sources and dealers.It seems mighty odd.

how much did the Sandy Golden go for in actual CASH?.....l do know who has it

Social source share

Whooohooohoooo, go Stella :)

I'm more excited at seeing Stella replying on here than how much the vet vets reaches!

Never met, but i have always had the vision of Miss Moneypenny when I email or call raresoulman:)

After seeing the feisty replies to Phil,Stella is now a cross between Miss Moneypenny and Emma Peel from Avengers!

Made my day :)

Lol. Now you got me going Nev. 

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Sella, if you read the last paragraph of my post you will see that it is you who needs to calm down and get a grip. I have tried many times to burry the hatchet with John with regards to our misunderstanding, but he will have non of it. Indeed, he has shown nothing but venom towards my friendly overtures.

I even had to get someone else to bid on auction items because he wiped my details off the database. 

In short, very childish behaviour from someone who should act his age.

ps. you spelled my name wrong.  :thumbsup:

thought it was kowalski........same as the fella on  "voyage to the bottom of the sea"

Social source share

Why spend money with someone who doesn't want you to?

Record buying Pete, sometimes you just have to, a desperate need to have that record. Some wouldn't, many would. 

As for paying that much over the top when a simple search would give an idea of the "normal" price ????????????

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Whooohooohoooo, go Stella :)

I'm more excited at seeing Stella replying on here than how much the vet vets reaches!

Never met, but i have always had the vision of Miss Moneypenny when I email or call raresoulman:)

After seeing the feisty replies to Phil,Stella is now a cross between Miss Moneypenny and Emma Peel from Avengers!

Made my day :)

I suspect the hand of the boss was behind the post Nev?

Social source share

Ive been saying this for the last 5 years and heres the reason why! Vel-vets £900 Do me a favour!

I agree partly with what you say, but on the other hand this sort of price jump has happened for a long time.

Four Voices, Wade Flemons, Little Tommy, Sam Dees -Lonely, Magnetics on Ra-sel, Tony Mathews and lots more were valued at £10 or less at one time.

Look at them now!

Social source share

Pete S

The secret is I think a combination of many factors.

A lot of our customers are not actually Northern Soul collectors and they are spread all over the world, my last count of auction members is nearing 18,000 with many only wanting mint or mint minus records.

And perhaps they like talking to me?

reading between the lines on this - I think there is a type of collector unknown to us all on here, certainly nothing to do with any dancing scene.

only buying mint items, only off established dealers, unaware or unconcerned of normal values, is the m.o. of super-rich investor / collectors having a cant-lose hobby.

Same sort of people do the same sort of thing with cars, art, coins, books...vinyl must have finally entered that realm.

you can tell that is has, in fact, in the last 10 years, as mint condition first issues of classic rock lps have gone up x 10. These sure aren't selling to music lovers or djs.

These people probably laugh at us, haggling over 10, 20 or even 2000 pounds, probably what they pay for socks!

You can tell by the records that go for crazy prices - always safe old classics that anyone on any scene, who was into records enough to pay big money, would have by now or wouldn't be bothered about having.

it's an iconic era, a more important part of human history it seems, the further we get from it...therefore a safe investment commodity.

get used to it, we now share soul with the soul-less. Like the trains, it'll soon be another thing the honest worker is priced out of ... ;-)

Edited by pow wow mik
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

reading between the lines on this - I think there is a type of collector unknown to us all on here, certainly nothing to do with any dancing scene.

only buying mint items, only off established dealers, unaware or unconcerned of normal values, is the m.o. of super-rich investor / collectors having a cant-lose hobby.

Same sort of people do the same sort of thing with cars, art, coins, books...vinyl must have finally entered that realm.

you can tell that is has, in fact, in the last 10 years, as mint condition first issues of classic rock lps have gone up x 10. These sure aren't selling to music lovers or djs.

These people probably laugh at us, haggling over 10, 20 or even 2000 pounds, probably what they pay for socks!

You can tell by the records that go for crazy prices - always safe old classics that anyone on any scene, who was into records enough to pay big money, would have by now or wouldn't be bothered about having.

it's an iconic era, a more important part of human history it seems, the further we get from it...therefore a safe investment commodity.

get used to it, we now share soul with the soul-less. Like the trains, it'll soon be another thing the honest worker is priced out of ... ;-)

Just what I have posted on here many times Mik.

Just try and buy a classic car, the prices have gone up to and beyond the 80's prices.

That Magnetics wasn't mint either. I thought it was £4k for a minter.

Social source share

I always found him to be a very honest person,

I agree - Every single record I've ever bought off John has "come straight from his D.J Box"....and I thank him for that :D 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

if i had the money,,i would definately buy the big ticket stuff,,,,,,,

I think I'd buy some of them if I had enough spare money. But 7.5K on a record is just something I can never see myself doing unless the euromillions drops in my lap, so The Magnetics joins a ever growing list of records I will never get.

It is a bit disheartening for the casual collector to see record prices going up so much, many are now only available to those with tons of spare cash. In a way I'm pleased to have some of the records I do have as I couldn't buy them these days, the sad thing is that I only started buying in the mid to late 90's. Seeing records I bought for a ton or ton-fifty now change hands for 4, 5, 6 hundred quid in the space of a decade or so seems a bit barking.

People with tons of money idly buying expensive records because they can actually grips my sh*t a bit! I'd like to think these records go to people who have been collecting for ages and are just putting the cream on their collection every now and then but I somehow doubt that is the case most of the time.

I'm still waiting for this promised avalanche of records as everyone cashes in or pops their clogs. No sign yet though.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just mentioning Johns Auction - Is this described accurately because he suggest that no 45 came out off this album when infact one did on the Spanish Zafiro label.

Step By Step I Always Wanted To Be In A Band

10 killer tracks from the Milwaukee, Wisconsin from an 11 member Soul band, that incredibly never received full distribution for the USA release and astonishingly not one track ever pressed as a 45 or 12” (can this be true ?)

Utterly astounding, as you’re about to hear SOUL GROUP DYNAMITE from our short selection of tracks, ranging from fabulous non-Disco influenced Soulful dance tracks to punchy Funk-spiced dancers. All benefiting from a potent horn arrangement and skillful male vocal harmonizing.

So without further delay - click the very impressive sound sample and be in wonder why Brunswick never issued any of the tracks as 45s..

If you are especially a rare 45 collector this Brewtown party can be found of Wisconsin’s most sought after label Cuca with an impressive 7” “Give It Away (do It Again) c/w Eloise but just like this album - so darn hard to find!

Social source share

Just mentioning Johns Auction - Is this described accurately because he suggest that no 45 came out off this album when infact one did on the Spanish Zafiro label.

10 killer tracks from the Milwaukee, Wisconsin from an 11 member Soul band, that incredibly never received full distribution for the USA release and astonishingly not one track ever pressed as a 45 or 12” (can this be true ?)

Utterly astounding, as you’re about to hear SOUL GROUP DYNAMITE from our short selection of tracks, ranging from fabulous non-Disco influenced Soulful dance tracks to punchy Funk-spiced dancers. All benefiting from a potent horn arrangement and skillful male vocal harmonizing.

So without further delay - click the very impressive sound sample and be in wonder why Brunswick never issued any of the tracks as 45s..

If you are especially a rare 45 collector this Brewtown party can be found of Wisconsin’s most sought after label Cuca with an impressive 7” “Give It Away (do It Again) c/w Eloise but just like this album - so darn hard to find!

I pulled john up on here a couple of years ago when he had listed a 45 as U.K. only as i had a German copy, he quickly changed his listing to "no U.S. issue"

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

The world has gone mad.

The world is going to end ' Magnetics  over seven grand 'crazy is understatement .

Vel-vets over thousand pound '  i wouldn't pay that if i had all the money in the world £350 tops

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

if i had the money,,i would definately buy the big ticket stuff,,,,,,,

what pay the inflated prices JM  gets on his auction' surely your not that mad 

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

I haven't sold or bought with JM for some years now but I have to say I always found him to be a very honest person, if he said "that is it" then it was. I suspect that a fair amount of his customers are people who value that and probably wouldn't part with large amounts of money via Ebay. Good luck to him.

spot on chris, couldn't have said it better, and I have personally heard the verbal abuse the jonnettes get on the telephone. I reckon stella probably knows more about northern soul than many of the ebay dj`s. but then im biased coz he is a very good friend and must / does always act with integrity. should we not be happy that people pay these prices, I know I would wish it was mine he sold.  I got a jimmy burns off a dealer 7000 dollars,he quoted the full price on the customs and it cost me another 700 dollars, so I asked john to sell it and we got 5 700 quid, I certainly wasn't complaining, but I bet the previous seller wasn't happy.................................................. please lets just be happy at some else`s success, and admittedly I was shocked too at the velvs too having paid 200 quid, but hey....... well done I say

Social source share

I'd like to think these records go to people who have been collecting for ages and are just putting the cream on their collection every now and then but I somehow doubt that is the case most of the time.

I think this is the case sometimes - and don't forget it depends what they are buying. For example I have only bought one record off John Manship's Auction, and that was a 'Bidding War' over a record I'd wanted for 20 years - I was not going to lose!....... A few years later, the same record went for two and a half times more than I paid for it. Not that it matters to me - I just wanted the record, which sits snuggly next to all the others I've bought over many years - From Free (Gifts from people) to £5.00 / £10.00 and so on.

All the best,

P.s - 'It was Jeanie Tracy - Making New Friends'

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It’s not John’s fault!

Almost every time the Auction finishes, someone says……”How does he do it? / that’s ridiculous etc”……It would be better worded more like……”Wow!, etc”…...John has built a really good business because he is good at what he does - and let’s not forget he genuinely loves the records.

Sometimes jealousy creeps into this Scene of ours - Most of us are now Middle aged, and if there wasn’t a Scene we would all most probably be arguing over who was judged to win the last vegetable growing competition - It really does get like an episode of Midsummer Murders at times (Well it does ‘around these parts’ anyway) :D 

P.s - Not that I watch Midsummer Murders :huh: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Some  are a flash in the pan ie: Vel-vets,the price will settle soon after this.Take Sam Dees "Soul sister" - true price is now more or less back to normal,if normal applies to record collecting.!!

Truly rare records hold their price.

Calm down,calm down. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No, it's not true. As you wrote, there was a 7" released in Spain with two tracks from the LP:

Step By Step - I Always Wanted To Be In The Band / Cash Money - ZAFIRO/BRUNSWICK, OOB 520, SPAIN

https://www.discogs.com/Step-By-Step-Cash-Money-I-Always-Wanted-To-Be-In-The-Band-/release/4743287

There are no US 45 releases from the LP though.

Social source share

Some  are a flash in the pan ie: Vel-vets,the price will settle soon after this.Take Sam Dees "Soul sister" - true price is now more or less back to normal,if normal applies to record collecting.!!

Truly rare records hold their price.

Calm down,calm down. :lol:

Well said

How much will JM offer next time the phone goes and someone wants a price to sell a clean issue of the Vel Vets, I reckon it will begin with a TWO and that would be right.

Cheers Darren

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!