Waggy

Saying Hi All

A recent house move last April prompted the comment "why dont you sling all those old records away, we are carting them fom house to house and they never get played and are just junk". Well 6 months down the line I have bought an amp with a mono switch on (of course), I still had a Technics SL1200 turntable with a Stanton 500 cart, and I am evaluating my (modest) northern/soul/motown collection again having meticulously cleaned my records and got them into some sort of order.

A few have sadly gone "missing" over the years but unlike the late 70s and early 80s I now have eBay and a paypal account and quite a little bit more disposable income than I had back then, prompting the more recent comments of "you haven't been buying records again. Have you? Really?" (And before anyone asks, no it wasn't me who bought The Tomangoes).

Well the answer is "Yes!" and at 53, I am falling in love with Northern Soul again, my first true love - and I am looking forward to making friends on here and also looking forward to attending some events again.

Just a little bit of background - I am from Derby and used to go to local events at The Derbyshire Yeoman (now a MaccyD's), Cleo's (now gone, was once on Osmaston Rd) where we were treated to an occasional Nev Wherry set, a spate of All Dayers at Tiffanys on a Sunday which were a mix of oldies and newies, and further afield for me it was regular trips to Mansfield, Stoke and the Nottingham Palais with yearly (summer) regular trips to the Sailors Arms in Newquay (which was pure Northern oldies and Motown all day and "pop disco" at night) and the St Ives events, amongst trips to virtually every all dayer and nighter "just for a change". We bought records from R.E.Cords on Sadlergate (anyone from Derby/Notts will surely remember Hector) and scoured second hand shops like Dave's Surplus on London Road for the occasional gem.

I used to DJ myself for private parties (weddings etc, not Northern soul events) from around 1977-93 and we even built it up into and agency with an office on St James St, Derby supplying DJ's and doormen all over the city and a little farther afield to Burton-on-Trent and some Leicestershire venues too.

So hello all..............

Edited by Waggy

Hi Waggy,

Welcome to the Source.

Same here - I've started buying again over the last 6 months - trying to replace my boots and re-issues, and add some newer 60s stuff to my collection.

You've got to get yourself out and about, there's tons of stuff going off every weekend round Derby, Notts, Mansfield and Sheffield - spoilt for choice really - just check the events forum. Me & Mrs SoulStu have started going back out this year and we've never looked back, wish we'd done it years ago.

Might have bumped into you many years ago at a Palais Alldayer, who knows?

Stu

Hi Waggy , welcome . I wonder if we have met , I am from Ripley . I frequented all the venues you have mentioned . I ran coaches (early days to Wigan  . I will message you .

Tony

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.