Your Thoughts Please On New Venue

Soulman

Hi all,

Just wanted to get your opinion on this. I have the opportunity to put an "across the board" Sunday soul session in Holmfirth, West Yorkshire. I'm tempted to use the term "Summer Wine Soul". The problem (and it's not a problem for me as far as I'm concerned) is that it would take place in a cellar under a bar in the village centre. Due to space it would have to use CD decks rather that 1200's or 1210's. I appreciate that this may offend OVO lovers but I would aim to make this an open deck (albeit CD) free event playing anything and everything from sixties through to up front modern and beyond.

Would you DJ, would you attend and would you approve of such and event? Non profit making and just a chance to enjoy all kinds of soul music in a quiet West Yorkshire village between 2pm and 10pm as an example?

Your thoughts appreciated

Regards

Steve 

Social source share

Research is the key to a decision.

I suggest visiting a few small local Sunday venues; check the attendance and how far people travel to the event, type of music etc.

The findings will give you a good idea whether it's worth the effort of trying to run a Sunday event using CD decks.

Consider if there are good well attended Friday and Saturday night venues nearby; if the customers are all danced out from Friday and Saturday they are unlikely to venture out on a Sunday as well (most of us are long past the teenage years and lack the stamina of youth).

Are there similar venues within 20 miles on the same day?

Research will help you make the right decision.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I have to agree with the other comments, I think the simple fact is that there are far too many events on. Don't get me wrong, new venues can hit it off but you have to stand out from the crowd a bit and be the next best thing and for me, a small venue with CD's just wouldn't cut it. Just my opinion but whatever you decide good luck.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Appreciate all previous comments but I'd have to say that it may be aimed more at locals and tourists and as I said, it would be a free event and probably more background music filtering upstairs but the chance to chill and dance if you wanted to with open decks. I could see people from Huddersfield, Brighouse and Denby Dale areas taking the time to come over for a couple of beers maybe.

Like I said, the idea has been put to me by the bar owner and I'm simply putting the feelers out.

Steve 

Social source share

Am I missing something here? Are CD players really that much smaller than vinyl decks?

From the comments above, sounds like if it was a "bring your own vinyl" and you had decks set up, you might get a good reception. As it is, everyone has given it a big thumbs down. Just saying, like...

Social source share

CD's rather than decks.? How small is this venue.?

Must be the old Ladies wc with the bowl & cistern removed if you can't get a twin deck in, must be using a Sony Walkman btw as Quinvy said, it's a no to everything but if you decide to proceed how about, Foggy's favourite 45's or Compo's Compilation. :g:  :thumbsup: 

Spot. :shades: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The DJ booth is quite small and the CD decks are already installed with nowhere to put some SL1200's. Like I said it's more of a chill out scenario, a venue in a scenic village where you could enjoy good music, good beer and like minded company with the chance to have a shuffle if you wanted to!

Steve 

Social source share

The DJ booth is quite small and the CD decks are already installed with nowhere to put some SL1200's. Like I said it's more of a chill out scenario, a venue in a scenic village where you could enjoy good music, good beer and like minded company with the chance to have a shuffle if you wanted to!

Steve 

Only one thing for it then Steve, check the event planner and choose a date that hopefully won,t clash with anywhere and go for it, its the only way you will find out, if you get a few in and the owner is happy with the bar takings, then you,ve cracked it, if it falls flat, well, at least you tried

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Don't sound like you need many others really to play, a few of you could cover an whole day with a bunch of CDs... If you are talking locals/ tourists then this ain't really the place to get feedback on a rare soul forum maybe... Maybe best just stick a notice board out and few posters and give it a go if there is already a decent tourist trade.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If it's locals and tourists you'd be best just putting one of them triple motown cds on shuffle wouldn't you. Sorry to be negative but I think it's just realistic. I don't think anyone who isn't familiar with the scene would appreciate the rarer type soul music to be honest.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I started a SOUL ON SUNDAY CLUB three years ago here in Sheffield , it was planed as a day to bring soul DJs together to have a chat, drink meet up with other DJs and play half an hour of their fav tunes ! We get soulies in from all walks of soul! Mojo,Samantha's ,KGB, We also get people in who enjoy the music even if they don't know it! What I am saying is give it a try! But it has to be vinyl,the DJs who come down to support the SUNDAY are a great bunch and I would not have such a great day if where not for them, good luck and enjoy.

p.s. The PLAN was first talked about with my best friend the late Captain Bob Fox R.E. A lost soulie the day is in his memory 

Nigel & Elaine

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!