C4 Paul Mason Asks - Will Northern Soul The Movie Spark A

Mike

Will Northern Soul the movie spark a cultural revival? -

It’s a week to go until Northern Soul, the movie about the 1970s British dance craze, hits the cinemas — and something unusual is happening.

There is a mass social media based “thing” going on. Having started out planning to show the movie at a few selected cinemas, and for a short run, cinemas have been deluged with requests — indeed campaigns — to show it all over Britain.

As things stand, when it comes out next Friday, the film will, say its backers, be the “widest-ever short-window feature film release”. Some 125 cinemas are set to screen the film — including one where the entire cinema has been booked out by a single person, and the tickets simply distributed among his friends. More are being added through “ourscreen” — crowd-funded showings organised by cinema goers...

See more at: https://blogs.channel4.com/paul-mason-blog/northern-soul-movie-spark-cultural-revival/2439#sthash.RfOG7Uxa.dpuf

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"baggy trousers worn with leather brogues looked ludicrous."

:yes: 

Great write up there from Mr Mason. I`ll have to get into gear (no pun intended) and find out where it`s showing round here.

:thumbsup: 

Social source share

To sum it up.

Nothing happened between Wigan closing and the film.

And brogues and baggies look ridiculous.

But - hey all you kids out there! You too have power to create anarchy as long as you practise your spins, handstands and backdrops.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Went to see Quadrophenia as an 18 year old when it first came out, and wasn't the least bit compelled to dress like a Mod, so I can't see a huge surge in sales of baggy trousers.  Quadrophenia was part of a double bill with Scum, back in the day when you used to get two main features for your money.  Now that did put me off going in greenhouses for a while.

So you joined the Navy instead!!!!!!  :lol:

Paul

Edited by Paul r
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Quadrophenia did result in loads of parkas turning up at Wigan. Remember being in a typical sweaty Ms one night next to some lads dressed for an arctic storm. Get ready for groups of investment bankers with no youth history and no idea turning up dressed for the part. Although they'd fit in at many East Mids nights.

Social source share

"baggy trousers worn with leather brogues looked ludicrous."

:yes: 

Great write up there from Mr Mason. I`ll have to get into gear (no pun intended) and find out where it`s showing round here.

:thumbsup: 

How come you can never find a f**king vest when you want one?? :ohmy:  :wicked:  :facepalm:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Went to see Quadrophenia as an 18 year old when it first came out, and wasn't the least bit compelled to dress like a Mod, so I can't see a huge surge in sales of baggy trousers.  Quadrophenia was part of a double bill with Scum, back in the day when you used to get two main features for your money.  Now that did put me off going in greenhouses for a while.

Quadrophenia kicked off a massive resurgence in the scootering world and a lot of todays scooterists are post quad afficionadoes , the mod thing was part of quad but the lasting legacy was scooterings ,. and if this film is as good as they are making out then maybe it will turn out to be a massive boost for the ageing soul scene and the clothes thing will just be a passing phase ,.

Social source share

Errrr Quad started a mod revival which had been brewing in the south after new wave.Scootering throughout the mid seventies was well established and the directors looked at the already established northern scooter clubs for extras as there were no mods around.York Scooter Club and The Red Lion Scooter Club from Heckmondwicke are in there riding 69 GP's.The british music press pushed the mod revival along with the film as the next big thing.This overtook the already established scooter scene and the revivalist mods were seen as plastic.The music press then had so much power and influence.There is too much going on these days for young people to start a mass revival.The forties look seems to be the thing at the moment.Even Katie Alsop is influenced by it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Errrr Quad started a mod revival which had been brewing in the south after new wave.Scootering throughout the mid seventies was well established and the directors looked at the already established northern scooter clubs for extras as there were no mods around.York Scooter Club and The Red Lion Scooter Club from Heckmondwicke are in there riding 69 GP's.The british music press pushed the mod revival along with the film as the next big thing.This overtook the already established scooter scene and the revivalist mods were seen as plastic.The music press then had so much power and influence.There is too much going on these days for young people to start a mass revival.The forties look seems to be the thing at the moment.Even Katie Alsop is influenced by it.

Who is Katie Alsop ?

Social source share

yes but from my standpoint as a scooterist, quad has a had a greater impact on the scootering scene than it did for the mod scene, comedy mods like the ones seen annually at the isle of wight or brighton are despised by the regular scooterists and scootering is thriving up and down the country ,. yes they did use northern scooterboys my mate martin scully was in the film and they used fur and dodgy fly screens to cover up the square healights of the gp,s which weren't made till the 70s

Social source share

Scootering was an underground movement pre Quad.Quad was pushed by the music press and a load of ex punk bands jumped on the bandwagon.Styles and fashions moved on then as well.There was not much looking back.Most of the scooterboys wore bags and dms which were the fashion of the time.Quad brought back sixties styles which was a throwback to another era.Punk dismissed everything from the past...but when you look at punk it stole bits from everything.The only media for the young was TOTP or OGWT...and the music papers.There is so much media and access today that kids are bombarded and can take the pick of everything.Music and fashion was everything then.Less so now.I think northern is now in its That'll Be The Day teddy boy period.! That scene got exaggerated with pink drapes etc...they then had rocknroll weekends at holiday camps...teddy boy famillies were a regular sight..you now have fathers and sons northern soul famillies...the teddy boys in the seventies looked ancient and ridiculous as do people in bags in their fifties.It seems that the film is going to be watched by the already converted.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Have I got it right? Is this film only being screened for one day only at most venues? If so, it's unlikely that it'll spark anything other than memories for those people who are already into it, as they'll be the only ones catching it.

Confused

Graham

I was thinking that, as you say with very limited screenings surely 95% of people who see it are those already in the know.

Cant see many casual cinema goers just turning up

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Have I got it right? Is this film only being screened for one day only at most venues? If so, it's unlikely that it'll spark anything other than memories for those people who are already into it, as they'll be the only ones catching it.

Confused

Graham

Graham

Can't speak for other venues but on for 3 night's in Hull,17th,18th & 19th.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

was only on for one night in Bristol...now two different cinemas one doing a week run and some shows already sold out!

agree though its not gonna spark a big new youth cult like quad and especially the fashions!...they have far too much choice now and most of the people who watch it will be oldies  anyway

Social source share

In response to the original question, I very much doubt it. Sure there will be more chatter and daft questions flying around. Maybe the film will get an early screening on the telly. The youth of today, don't you just love them, will share a few more sound-files downloaded for free but that's about it. No new Allnighter venues are about to spring up. Next aren't going to stock bowling shirts and Oxford bags anytime soon. HMV, where they still languish on, would rather sell headphones than records. In three months time, things will have quietened down and the film will be part of the nostalgia we revel in. I hope Elaine gets a financial return on her investment and the film industry plus other linked media enterprises pay their dues.

Social source share

In response to the original question, I very much doubt it. Sure there will be more chatter and daft questions flying around. Maybe the film will get an early screening on the telly. The youth of today, don't you just love them, will share a few more sound-files downloaded for free but that's about it. No new Allnighter venues are about to spring up. Next aren't going to stock bowling shirts and Oxford bags anytime soon. HMV, where they still languish on, would rather sell headphones than records. In three months time, things will have quietened down and the film will be part of the nostalgia we revel in. I hope Elaine gets a financial return on her investment and the film industry plus other linked media enterprises pay their dues.

spot on. 

for the londoners Curzon cinemas in Victoria and Soho have 3 dates mid oct i think.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!