£25 And Under Dj Sets

2 records spots for less that 25 per spot ! (if you are really careful and shop around)

60's

Bobby Hebb Love Love Love

Supremes Itching in my heart

Stirling Magee Keep on

Candace love - Wonderful night 

70's

You know how to love me - Phyllis Hyman

Make my dream a reality - GQ

On Broadway - George Benson

Giving it all to you - Cheryl Berdell 

Edited by SoulBoyRecords
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

that there are plenty of £5 - £10 quidders that will fill the floor ! 

Just urban myth IMO. Most of today's 5-10 quid tunes are yesterday's 50p quid soul pack junk. Quality records don't have to be worth loads. But up to a certain degree quality is reflected in price.

The days of quality 5/10 quid records are long gone. Saying that I wish I hadn't sold all those quality cheapies back then, thinking I could get them back at the same price any day.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just urban myth IMO. Most of today's 5-10 quid tunes are yesterday's 50p quid soul pack junk. Quality records don't have to be worth loads. But up to a certain degree quality is reflected in price.

The days of quality 5/10 quid records are long gone. Saying that I wish I hadn't sold all those quality cheapies back then, thinking I could get them back at the same price any day.

To your point Dickie Wonder - nobody Knows and Eddie Billups Shake off that dream - got them both back in the day for 15p each courtesy of Soul Bowl. They were not deemed 'quality records' back then were they ? Now who's to say that things will not continue to evolve and the 'shit' £5-£10 sounds you can pick up today (Not from my list above - but other stuff that's not broken in) might not trade hands for £300+ in a few years time. It also depends what sort of night you want to put on with your sub £25 sounds. If you want to get a load of old soulies together who are maybe semi retired and go to a soul do 2 x a year to see their mates and enjoy some familiar sounds, I contend that Love Love Love, Itching in my Heart etc will fill the floor. If you want to break new quality 60's sounds to a regular soul do going crowd who want constant new finds you will struggle a bit under £25 IMHO  

Edited by SoulBoyRecords
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

hi

Meant individual records priced at £25 or less !, ill get my coat

Now that`s a different kettle of frogs!......shouldn`t be too hard, the part that separates a proper DJ from the collector who thinks they can DJ is knowing how to stitch that set together. 

I`ll be back! :yes:

Social source share

The moment any scene judges what music should be played based on the value of a record is a miserable day. I see events with people saying 'OVO from £5 to £1000'. Wtf is that all about, are you meant to take a calculator with you? Having said that, there was a guy at a do I used to attend some years back that refused to dance to anything 'worth' less than £100, and would leave the dancefloor uttering 'cheap shit', which was a source of great hilarity, so it has it's advantages I suppose :)

cheers Sutty

Brilliant.  Did he carry a copy of Manship's guide around with him?

Social source share

The problem with cheap records is that they tend to fall in one of these catagories :

Cheap because it's common, as in, sold a lot. In which case no one wants to play it, cos anyone can play it.

cheap because it's unknown or little known. in which case, if it's any good, it'll not be cheap for long.

cheap because it's crap, or simply unremarkable.

cheap because it's been 'slept on' - usually 45s that are good as anything but historically not rare enough for djs to impress each other with, yet are obscure enough to not be in the general consiousness.

...so you've only really got the last catagory to work with, and tracks do get 'elevated' from this catagory every year, but how many are left?

Yes its the "slept on " tracks , there must be lots out there

Social source share

The idea is something for everyone, bit of R&B, Latin, forgotten stuff......letting it flow.....actually it`s quite therapeutic :yes:     

1. Buddy Ace - True Love Money Can`t Buy (Duke)
  2. Syl Johnson - Let Them Hang High (Twinight)
  3. Luthur Ingram - Oh Baby Don`t You Weep (Kent)
  4. Rose Davis - That`s Enough (Excello)
  5. Luthur Ingram - I Spy (For the FBI) (Smash)
  6. Edwin Starr - Agent Double-o-Soul (Ric-Tic)
  7. The Four Tops - Can`t Seem to get you Out of my Mind (T/Motown)
  8. The Platters - Going back to Detroit (Pye International) 
  9. Little Johnny Blair - Mama`s Gone (House of the Fox)
10. Little Sonny - Wade in the Water (Enterprise)
11. Roy Redmond - Ain`t that Terrible (Loma)
12. The Coasters - Cool Jerk (King)
13. The Coasters - Love Potion Number Nine (King)
14. Sergio Mendes - Love Music (Bell)
15. Phyllis Hyman - You Know How to Love Me (Arista)
16. Chuck Jackson - Ive Got The Need (All Platinum)
17. K-Jee - The Nitelighters (RCA)
18. The Du-Ettes - Every Beat of my Heart (President) 
19. Sharpees - Take me to your Leader (One-Derful)
20. Soul Brothers Six - You Better Check Yourself (Atlantic)
21. Wilson Picket - She`s so good to Me (Atlantic)
22. Garnett Mimms - Prove it to Me (United Artists)
23. Dee Dee Warwick - Don`t You Ever Give Up On Me (Mercury)
24.  Artist un-mentioned - See-Saw (Intrumental) - (Audiodisk Acetate)
25. Johnny Moore - Lonely heart in the City (Blue Rock)
Edited by Guest
Social source share

Well the set-list above I think averages out at around £25.00...................The buddy Ace track is one of those under/overs, depending who`s bidding.

Only the one track you can pick, that`s not bad going then. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well the set-list above I think averages out at around £25.00...................The buddy Ace track is one of those under/overs, depending who`s bidding.

Only the one track you can pick, that`s not bad going then. :thumbsup:

but how many are from the 'slept-on' category? They're mostly well known big sellers aren't they? You'd get boyuted out of a venue if you played that set wouldn't you?

Social source share

but how many are from the 'slept-on' category? They're mostly well known big sellers aren't they? You'd get boyuted out of a venue if you played that set wouldn't you?

Boyuted?.... :g: .......is that Welsh rhyming slang?....and why prey tell would anyone get boyuted out of a venue for that set?

Lets see it then?..........................your 25!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I don't get this. Not this post so much. But the general snobbery about breaking new stuff all the time or 'slept on' sounds. What the heck us wrong with the set posted? Looks a real good effort to me.. Brilliant sounds no ones ever heard for under 5 quid, 25 quid or 500 quid. You I might as well look for hens teeth. This is going the way of loads of other posts. Fact is most of the barnstorming 60s stuff is known. The odd cracking tune will turn up but it won't stay at 25 quid for long. If a tunes a good one I for one don't give a shit if it costs £1 or £10,000.. Rant over !!!!

Social source share

There's plenty of records around the £25 and under mark that are decent and will fill the dance floor. I think you may be pushing it doing a full set or a night of it, although it's an interesting concept and not a bad idea! I suppose if you wanted to push for oVo it's good as it just goes to show there are plenty of good originals you can get for the same price of a pressing. I hear quite a few £25 and under records at nights & nighters but mixed with some rarer and dearer records too.

Good post!

Social source share

Obviously not rare and played out a fair bit but here's a few that spring to mind

Uniques-Not too long ago

Intruders-Check yourself

Isley Brothers-Why when love is gone

Garnet Mimms-Prove it to me

Vontastics-Let me down easy

Ethics-Look at me now

Make Sure-Dells

Garland Green-Angel Baby

Sly Girl-Derek Martin

Originals-Don't stop now

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago titled UNDERPLAYED UPTEMPO AND UNDER FIFTY. It prompted some fantastic posts full of great records that could be bought for up to 50 Quid.I think £25 is pushing it a bit but there are many still out there for that price.Two i have recently bought in that price range are both great dancers

Syl Johnson---Try Me

Henry Lumpkin--Soul is Taking Over

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Obviously not rare and played out a fair bit but here's a few that spring to mind

Uniques-Not too long ago

Intruders-Check yourself

Isley Brothers-Why when love is gone

Garnet Mimms-Prove it to me

Vontastics-Let me down easy

Ethics-Look at me now

Make Sure-Dells

Garland Green-Angel Baby

Sly Girl-Derek Martin

Originals-Don't stop now

Very nice list there mate.It took me ages to get a mint copy of the Intruders and had to pay £40 for it,and i think Garnet Mimms is getting sought after again so prob a bit more than £25 .But as stated before the prices for records these days are all over the place and it depends who you buy from

Edited by Patto
Social source share

Cheers, as I was looking through my boxes I found a few more! I agree, the prices tend to vary massively but have had a few bargains off eBay and a few people have kindly helped me out on here. I tend to use Manships guide to get a rough idea and gauge it from that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are plenty of good records that don't get played due to a little bit of snobbery.The whole scene suffers from it at the moment, with two types of records the old established classics or the extremely rare regardless of quality.

I  believe that a lot of DJs just won't play a number of records in a set if they are cheapish which just makes the quantity of records you can to hear when out a lot smaller and therefore dos can be a little boring in my opinion.I have found more new tunes to my ears on internet than at dos(which may be a obvious)

A few this year I have bought all under a tenner from ebay don't mind hearing any of these when out:

Jesse James - I Know I'll Never Find Another One

Walter Scott - Brand new girl 

Tim - I Need Your Love

Brother of Love - My Hearts in Trouble

Johnny Okera Hightower - You're The One 

Harlem River Drive  - Need You - 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Only a couple of years ago I bought my copy of Buddy Ace - Screaming Please for £30.00, more or less unheard of around here and I got quite a few folk wanting to know who and what?........ from the anorak jotting it down in the notebook he carries around to others wanting to know what to ask for at other venues. It rams any dancefloor today and try picking one up for £30 now.

There`s load out there still, and ive found a few!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

There are plenty of good records that don't get played due to a little bit of snobbery.The whole scene suffers from it at the moment, with two types of records the old established classics or the extremely rare regardless of quality.

I  believe that a lot of DJs just won't play a number of records in a set if they are cheapish which just makes the quantity of records you can to hear when out a lot smaller and therefore dos can be a little boring in my opinion.I have found more new tunes to my ears on internet than at dos(which may be a obvious)

A few this year I have bought all under a tenner from ebay don't mind hearing any of these when out:

Tim - I Need Your Love

I have played at least 3 of these, the Jesse James particularly is a fantastic slab of dancefloor soul....found a load in Memphis years ago, its not a rare record but it deserves to be played because its brilliant....

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Only a couple of years ago I bought my copy of Budy Ace - Screaming Please for £30.00, more or less unheard of around here and I got quite a few folk wanting to know who and what?........ from the anorak jotting it down in the notebook he carries around to others wanting to know what to ask for at other venues. It rams any dancefloor today and try picking one up for £30 now.

There`s load out there still, and ive found a few!

First heard it on a DKOF cd done by Ray and Russ i think.Not sure if it was them of a friend who included it.Be about 7 years ago.?

Cheap stormer - Johnny Sayles,"Dont turn your back on me" - Marvlus.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

, the emphasis is that it should be a great record & get the place jumping...that should be the only criteria shouldnt it ???. 

Best Russ

It should Russ I agree.

I think the thing I find with cheapies is they will tend to be 45s that others stay away from, not because they are rubbish but because they are common. As Mik says a lot avoid them because they know anyone can put together a set with them. Funnily enough though, this means very few people do bother with a cheapies set, and someone with a bit of imagination and taste can put together a fairly original and personal set with 45s under £20 that won't be reproduced during the night and has a good chance of never being reproduced.

...and before anyone says, they weren't all ex-soul pack rejects. :D

So I agree with Mik's categories and it's true 4 is the place to go, but 1 is also good for a lot of neglected sounds. You'd be surprised how many of the soul cognicenti haven't heard of a lot of the cheap and neglected stuff.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Tim - I Need Your Love

Brother of Love - My Hearts in Trouble.....now there's a tune!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutely mate,

Good Enough for Mike, good enough for me.

Only heard and got it around 6 months ago....great tip from Andy Whitmore......the other sides a good an all

Sold mine on here for £12 - is this the next JM monster ?? :lol:  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Brother of Love - My Hearts in Trouble.....now there's a tune!

Just sat here thinking the same thing ......never heard it out much ......but should be played ... !!! Get one while you can .Written /produced by Jesse James ????? I think ??

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Shifty...Len and possibly even Russ Vickers above will all scream that my whole set didn't amount to more than £25 quite often!x On 1 occasion I did the 100 club with every record under a tenner...to prove a point to moguls back then...rocked the joint all the same! It is in the groove and how it is presented and when...I found!x I will put a set together when I return!x

@@

LUV

SOOTY

X

Len....sincere apologies mate...can.t make your doo as hoped...off to Turkey for a well earned break this evening! I know it will be a cracker and look forward to the next one friend X

Social source share

To your point Dickie Wonder - nobody Knows and Eddie Billups Shake off that dream - got them both back in the day for 15p each courtesy of Soul Bowl. They were not deemed 'quality records' back then were they ? Now who's to say that things will not continue to evolve and the 'shit' £5-£10 sounds you can pick up today (Not from my list above - but other stuff that's not broken in) might not trade hands for £300+ in a few years time. It also depends what sort of night you want to put on with your sub £25 sounds. If you want to get a load of old soulies together who are maybe semi retired and go to a soul do 2 x a year to see their mates and enjoy some familiar sounds, I contend that Love Love Love, Itching in my Heart etc will fill the floor. If you want to break new quality 60's sounds to a regular soul do going crowd who want constant new finds you will struggle a bit under £25 IMHO  

Totally agree with soulboyrecords. I started buying soul bowl stuff back in late 70s, and later on in the early 80s had a Wade Flemons-Jeannette (Ramsel) mint arrive in a 10 record pack, probably cost all of a fiver. I left the allnighter scene back in the mid 80s but heard that the tune was big in the 90s, and is now going for silly money with people clambering to get a copy of it, put it this way if one is on eBay or elsewhere its does not stay on for sale that long! There are loads of just as good records out there but its all a question of exposure, in Europe they have a more open minded policy with regard to soul music, and certainly know that some of the stuff played over there is not rare at all but all the same very soulful. Any track could potentially make it big, if you were to listen to Ethics - Look At Me Now, Johnny Moore - Lonely Heart In the City or Garnett Mimms- Prove It To Me for the first time you would be none the wiser, They have the special something biggie sound that could go a long way but and they dont cost that much to buy per record....Thats 3 tunes I would play as well as Sterling Magee-Keep On, though its been around years (used to be popular at Yate) but its not a big bucks record! Its all subjective but I reckon as we get older we get a little more narrow minded & stubborn maybe, and if the northern soul scene is to carry on then the cheaper underplayed, semi known and obscure tunes (which there are tons of out there) need to somehow carry the torch onto the next generation, along with the Don Gardners, Cecil Washingtons, Jimmy Macks, Billy Arnells, Larry Clintons etc....thats my pennys worth in any case, but like i say its all subjective.....

Edited by foi
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

So if you go to a soul night and there's two rooms, one with Ted Massey, Mick H, Butch, Ady Croasdell and alike playing there top quality tunes and in the other room there are only records of £25 and below being played then you would soon see that price matters.

Yes lots did slip through as a bargains years back but we have wizened up to that now so I thinks they will be few and far between in future 

Best Under £25 record for me is    The Falcons - Standing On Guard 

Just My Thoughts 

Social source share

Collecting on a limited budget as I do, through going backwards ive found some great stuff that just never gets the plays nowadays. I did my first podcast the other day, (yes I have officially moved into 2014) so I did the podacast along the lines of the title of this thread, don`t think theres much on here over maybe £40, https://www.mixcloud.com/SONBERT/hs-first-podcast/

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Collecting on a limited budget as I do, through going backwards ive found some great stuff that just never gets the plays nowadays. I did my first podcast the other day, (yes I have officially moved into 2014) so I did the podacast along the lines of the title of this thread, don`t think theres much on here over maybe £40, https://www.mixcloud.com/SONBERT/hs-first-podcast/

And very good it is as well H :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Totally agree with soulboyrecords. I started buying soul bowl stuff back in late 70s, and later on in the early 80s had a Wade Flemons-Jeannette (Ramsel) mint arrive in a 10 record pack, probably cost all of a fiver. I left the allnighter scene back in the mid 80s but heard that the tune was big in the 90s, and is now going for silly money with people clambering to get a copy of it, put it this way if one is on eBay or elsewhere its does not stay on for sale that long! There are loads of just as good records out there but its all a question of exposure, in Europe they have a more open minded policy with regard to soul music, and certainly know that some of the stuff played over there is not rare at all but all the same very soulful. Any track could potentially make it big, if you were to listen to Ethics - Look At Me Now, Johnny Moore - Lonely Heart In the City or Garnett Mimms- Prove It To Me for the first time you would be none the wiser, They have the special something biggie sound that could go a long way but and they dont cost that much to buy per record....Thats 3 tunes I would play as well as Sterling Magee-Keep On, though its been around years (used to be popular at Yate) but its not a big bucks record! Its all subjective but I reckon as we get older we get a little more narrow minded & stubborn maybe, and if the northern soul scene is to carry on then the cheaper underplayed, semi known and obscure tunes (which there are tons of out there) need to somehow carry the torch onto the next generation, along with the Don Gardners, Cecil Washingtons, Jimmy Macks, Billy Arnells, Larry Clintons etc....thats my pennys worth in any case, but like i say its all subjective.....

Foi - I'll give you a tenner for the Wade Flemmons if you still have it. Stuff it I've got that Friday feeling ... £20  :lol:

Social source share

And when it starts off with a great tune like that it`s well worth a listen!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!