£25 And Under Dj Sets

So many big ticket sets are simply boring now as far too many DJ's seem to have a lot of them and they've been hammered in many cases.  There is a genuine lack of imagination in the mainstream soul scene with both DJ's afraid to take a chance for the fear of not getting another booking and far too many promoters happy to sit back and not buck the status quo.

As said the majority of today's big money records started off cheap rising in price as demand rose.  Today's cheapie tomorrows expensive 45? 

But there are many big ticket items that if they were a tenner they wouldn't get a second play as many simply lack quality as well.

I don't see a problem with the occasional nights like this where DJ's are encouraged to use some imagination and you never know you just might enjoy it?  

Well said that man...spot on imo

Edited by Vin
Social source share

With the huge prices that we are seeing on the scene today , has anyone (beside different strokes ) tried this

at their venues ? , playing tunes OVO that have not upset the Bank balance. if so what would be your £25 spot ?.

To be fair and more accurate,the under £25 night at D.S is not the full event, but the back room on the same night as Steve's regular event.

I believe it's the brainchild of Gaz B.

However, the reviews and general consensus of the first one were very good and from the mouths of creditable and passionate punters!

Thanks Nev, 

Yeah it was a very good night - Another 1 in April, with much thanks to Steve too for taking the risk as it might have been a flop (though I know it wouldn't have been  :P)

Wrote a little article too re its conception which underpins the content of this thread -https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-articles/£2500-and-under-the-challenge-r2929

It was done in London before I did it at D.S, as the link above points out, but D.S offers a space to do different things, which is nice but I'm also doing to do it for the European Soul Weekender with the European DJ's, which will be interesting (maybe a little session between the nighters)... more info to follow very soon. 

Social source share

i put that vontastics tune on a mix cd for a british friend who knows a bit about soul (more 70s), but he'd never heard it and it blew his mind. there was a dealer on eBay named "headbonedaddy" had loads of deadstock of them for like 10 USD. great disc.

Indeed.. I played it down at the 100 club and had collectors asking about it.... As i said it was a feature at our club in the second room and was very well recieved, aint talking about it being a feature in a one room venue and to a big dancefloor....

As you have all stated there are so many great tunes to choose from and could be put so well into a set.....

The dick waving brigade would never get it.... They never do....

The event in question is below.. Not the feedback.... As i said a nice little addition to a rare soul event and something to feature the odd time, it would like anything else lose its appeal if done too often......

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Some great dancing tunes cost less than £25 but must admit when looking in my box for the special numbers I can't find many that would create a little something on the dance floor.

I decided to look at the last 12 months ebay purchases that were less than £25 for tunes that I enjoy and aren't played every weekend, here is a list of original issue purchases which I hope would make you smile if heard played out.

Edie Walker - Good guys £13 inc postage

Tribulations - You gave me up for promises £18 inc postage

Timothy Wilson - Love is like an itching in my heart £14 inc postage

Betty Lavette - I feel good £18 inc postage

Fabulous Peps - With these eyes £22 inc postage

Lou Johnson - Magic Potion £15 inc postage

Bunny Sigler - Follow your heart £10 inc postage

Joyce Kennedy - I'm a good girl £20 inc postage

Charlie Romans - twenty four hour service £22 inc postage

Eddie & Ernie - I cant do it £24 inc postage

American youth choir - Keep your fine self near me £10 inc postage

I must admit struggling to find recent interesting record purchases for under £25 and all the above records were obtained from the USA.

A quick run through my modest box of vinyl and most of the lower priced records tend to be over £25 so I can relate to your approach about head lifting tunes costing more. 

Would any of the above tunes generate a smile? 

Well they all generated a smile with me mate you made some good purchases there.Out of that lot Betty Lavette is my fave

Social source share

Indeed.. I played it down at the 100 club and had collectors asking about it.... As i said it was a feature at our club in the second room and was very well recieved, aint talking about it being a feature in a one room venue and to a big dancefloor....

As you have all stated there are so many great tunes to choose from and could be put so well into a set.....

The dick waving brigade would never get it.... They never do....

The event in question is below.. Not the feedback.... As i said a nice little addition to a rare soul event and something to feature the odd time, it would like anything else lose its appeal if done too often......

"you'd break a heart, girl, like you would a stick on a snake in the grass!" 

what a great lyric! 

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Little pre-event teaser, £25 and under room is back at the Nags Head at the great Different Strokes night. 

DS lads giving it some welly in the front room, and the back room £25.00 take over challenge will feature...

Adam Topping

Adam Leaver

Dave Abbott 

Nev Griffith 

Gary Bratchford

Its a bit like a "Soul Funkton" on the cheap  :thumbup: ...with me tagging along. 

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
Social source share

Little pre-event teaser, £25 and under room is back at the Nags Head at the great Different Strokes night. 

DS lads giving it some welly in the front room, and the back room £25.00 take over challenge will feature...

Adam Topping

Adam Leaver

Dave Abbott 

Nev Griffith 

Gary Bratchford

Its a bit like a "Soul Funkton" on the cheap  :thumbup: ...with me tagging along. 

any chance of throwing up some of yours and the others under 25ers ?  

may help keep the thread worthwhile and get it going again  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't remember what I played, but lots of variety on the shelves - a cross section below includes gospel, funk, R&B

Marvin Gaye - You

Joneses - S.O.U.L

The Invincibles - Nobody

The 5 Spiritual Tones - Bad Situation 

The Isley Bros - Don't give it away

Loyce Cotton - Try it, You'll Like It

Elliott Small - Stay in My Heart

Sweet Bobby & Honey Boy - Watch The One Who's Talking

and...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's  my cheapies.I think most would be under 25 quid.

Remarkables-Is The Feeling Still There

Cookie Scott-Your Love It Won Me Over

June Taylor-Jealous Heart

Audio Arts Strings-There's Nothing Else To Say...(a cheaper alternative as I'm sure the vocal is over 25 squid)

Dee Dee Sharp-Bye Bye Baby.....15 quid

Sandy Brockington-Is That You......the poor man's Rhonda Davis....

Bobby Patterson-Right On Jody...This is an on the spot 25 quidder I think

The Fantastic Four-I dont Wanna Live Without You......is this still a £4 sound?.

Curtis Liggins-The Living End....I think this is still just under 25 quid.

The Four Tempos-Got To Have You

Edwin Starr-Backstreet

Juanita Williams-Baby Boy

The Radiants-Im Glad Im The Loser

The Dells-When Im In Your Arms

The Niteliners-K Jee

Archie Bell-Showdown

Terry Lindsey-One Day Up

Gloria Taylor-Total Disaster

Marva Holiday-It's Written All over Your Face

Bionic Boogie-Risky Changes

The Fifth Amendment-I Got You Where I Want You

Van Mccoy-Soul Improvisations

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I can't remember what I played, but lots of variety on the shelves - a cross section below includes gospel, funk, R&B

Marvin Gaye - You

Joneses - S.O.U.L

The Invincibles - Nobody

The 5 Spiritual Tones - Bad Situation 

The Isley Bros - Don't give it away

Loyce Cotton - Try it, You'll Like It

Elliott Small - Stay in My Heart

Sweet Bobby & Honey Boy - Watch The One Who's Talking

and...

I was at the DS gig with a few friends from Belgium and they loved the tunes played and so did we - as I said to you Gaz S.O.U.L sounded great heard out as did Bobby King & The Relation..

The mix of tunes from the higher end of the financial spectrum like Willie Dale all the way through to tunes like those mentioned above made for a great night!!

Keep on keeping on (or is that an overstated cheap salutation?)

Reg (Greg) Scott..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

With the huge prices that we are seeing on the scene today , has anyone (beside different strokes ) tried this

at their venues ? , playing tunes OVO that have not upset the Bank balance. if so what would be your £25 spot ?.

Marvelettes - I'll keep holding on £22.00

Edwin Starr - My weakness is you £15.00

Jeff Perry - Love don't come no stronger £24.00

NF Porter - Keep on keeping on £12.00

To name but a few that have got 'em dancing............... :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was at the DS gig with a few friends from Belgium and they loved the tunes played and so did we - as I said to you Gaz S.O.U.L sounded great heard out as did Bobby King & The Relation..

The mix of tunes from the higher end of the financial spectrum like Willie Dale all the way through to tunes like those mentioned above made for a great night!!

Keep on keeping on (or is that an overstated cheap salutation?)

Reg (Greg) Scott..

Correct Greg - top night and more of the same, I hope!!

Social source share

If you want to hear something different, try "feed your soul" Newark

I spun at the last one, every record in my set (apart from james Walsh) was under £25, but I only spun that because I was asked to. 

All the DJs played some fine soul, I shall endeavour to be at the next one too 

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Just sticking my 10 pence in!

Derek Martin - Sly Girl

Edwin Starr - Running Back & Forth

The World's Funkiest Band - When You're Alone

Wilmer & The Dukes - Give Me One More Chance

Tim - I Need Your Love

NF Porter - Keep On Keeping On

Jimmy Bo Horne - Clean Up Man

Johnny Watson - It's Better To Cry

Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours

Darrell Banks - Open The Door

Aretha Franklin - Oh No Not My Baby

Darrell Banks - Somebody Somewhere

Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Lovin

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Here's a few cheapies for ya that don't sound out of place when slipped in a set beween big ticket numbers!!

I Need Your Love - Tim - Celtex

Danger Zone - Johnny Steele - Golden City

She's My Baby - The Intensions - Bluelight

What More Can I Do - Johnny Moore - Larry-O

God there must be hundreds of em out there!!! :g:  :yes:  :thumbsup:

Tim - I Need Your Love  :thumbsup:

Every box should have a copy of this, it's 15 quid, but sounds a thousand.

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Don't you think there's a certain amount of ambiguity in a £25 and under spot?

For example, I paid £15 for Bobby Garrett - I Can't Get Away, It's probably worth more than £25.

Are we going off of a records value, or what it cost?

Then there's always the age old debate that a record is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

surely you buy by ear not value

I hear many I want, then gauge if I can afford it

Do I want it ?     YES

Can I afford it ?   NO

move on to next one

Do I want it ?     YES

Can I afford it ?   YES

Buy it!

not rocket science, thousands of quality records to be had at a doable (is that a word) price, we're not all top level collectors or dj's, have faith in your own discerning taste, never buy a record you don't like just because it has a price tag attached

:rofl:

Unless you can shift it for a profit fairly quickly!  :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think the idea of this thread is "on the books" value. I picked up Wade Flemmons-That Other Place for £25 and Jo Ann Garrett for £30 ish recently. And not forgetting inflation, records people bought 30 years ago will be worth a lot more now

Don't you think there's a certain amount of ambiguity in a £25 and under spot?

For example, I paid £15 for Bobby Garrett - I Can't Get Away, It's probably worth more than £25.

Are we going off of a records value, or what it cost?

Then there's always the age old debate that a record is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Its all very subjective and the book isn't much use either. I guess the premiss is to adhere to an 'understood' value of the record, and more specifically its trying to give new records a spin (again, what is new and what isn't differs depending on who the audience is/who is in the audience) or give life to things which may have been overlooked or not played in a while. 

If you bought on of John Anderson's Eddie Parker's at Soul Bowl for a £1 each in the 70's...that doesn't count ;)

Social source share

A few picked up for <25 quid over the last couple years, and that shouldn't go for much more now… I'm sure some have been mentioned already, didn't read whole thread yet.

Uniques — Not Too Long Ago (Paula)

Tommy Duncan — Let Me Take You Out (Smash) (seriously slept on IMO)

Mary Wells — Use Your Head (20th Century)

Anita Humes & The Essex — What Did I Do (Roulette)

The Ballads — My Baby Knows How To Love Her Man (Venture)

Little Ann/Dave Hamilton Orch — Lean Lanky Daddy/Who Are You Trying To Fool (Kent)

Mighty Marvelows — I'm So Confused (ABC)

M-M & The Peanuts — The Phillie (Money)

Margie Hendrix — On the Right Track (Mercury)

Joey Dee & The Starlighters — Put Your Heart In It (Jubilee) (bootleg, but not available in any other format, AFAIK?)

Wanderers — Somebody Else's Sweetheart (Cub)

Sharpees — Tired Of Being Lonely (One-derful)

Big Maybelle — 96 Tears (Rojac)

Dee Andrews — Stop! You're Hurting My Heart (Tangerine)

Teddy Greene — Gotta Love You More (Capitol)

Jimmy Lewis — Let Me Know (Minit)

Admirations — Don't Leave Me (One-derful) (a price:quality ratio that's hard to beat for any NS record, if you ask me)

Shirley & Jessie — You Can't Fight Love (Wand)

Jimmy Castor — Magic Saxophone (Smash)

Don Gardner — My Baby Likes To Boogaloo (Tru-Glo-Town)

Wayne Logiudice — Come On Everybody (Philips)

Cavaliers — Hold To My Baby (RCA) (ok, might have gotten a little lucky there :wink:)

Edited by YourArsenal
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A few picked up for <25 quid over the last couple years, and that shouldn't go for much more now… I'm sure some have been mentioned already, didn't read whole thread yet.

Uniques — Not Too Long Ago (Paula)

Tommy Duncan — Let Me Take You Out (Smash) (seriously slept on IMO)

Mary Wells — Use Your Head (20th Century)

Anita Humes & The Essex — What Did I Do (Roulette)

The Ballads — My Baby Knows How To Love Her Man (Venture)

Little Ann/Dave Hamilton Orch — Lean Lanky Daddy/Who Are You Trying To Fool (Kent)

Mighty Marvelows — I'm So Confused (ABC)

M-M & The Peanuts — The Phillie (Money)

Margie Hendrix — On the Right Track (Mercury)

Joey Dee & The Starlighters — Put Your Heart In It (Jubilee) (bootleg, but not available in any other format, AFAIK?)

Wanderers — Somebody Else's Sweetheart (Cub)

Sharpees — Tired Of Being Lonely (One-derful)

Big Maybelle — 96 Tears (Rojac)

Dee Andrews — Stop! You're Hurting My Heart (Tangerine)

Teddy Greene — Gotta Love You More (Capitol)

Jimmy Lewis — Let Me Know (Minit)

Admirations — Don't Leave Me (One-derful) (a price:quality ratio that's hard to beat for any NS record, if you ask me)

Shirley & Jessie — You Can't Fight Love (Wand)

Jimmy Castor — Magic Saxophone (Smash)

Don Gardner — My Baby Likes To Boogaloo (Tru-Glo-Town)

Wayne Logiudice — Come On Everybody (Philips)

Cavaliers — Hold To My Baby (RCA) (ok, might have gotten a little lucky there :wink:)

I think you might have got lucky with a few  :wink:

Anita Humes is £40/£50, as is the Wanderers.  Kent Anniversary, not many for £25?

As I said IMO the criteria for anything like this is that you can go to a dealer and buy it upon hearing it.  There are collectors with what they have bought over the years who could make a mockery out of this with some records that are expensive today.

Social source share

The Kent 45 isn't an anniversary record, never was I think? At least I had in mind the regular Kent Select 45, which AFAIK is still in print or at least very easily available for ~£10. Granted, new(ish) releases might be kind of cheating, but it's a killer double-sider as good as anything out there, as far as I'm concerned.

Upon inspecting popsike, both Anita Humes and Wanderers have gone under 25 several times in the last year. Book price might be higher, but if they can be somewhat consistently had for less, I guess they kind of count at least?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Kent 45 isn't an anniversary record, never was I think? At least I had in mind the regular Kent Select 45, which AFAIK is still in print or at least very easily available for ~£10. Granted, new(ish) releases might be kind of cheating, but it's a killer double-sider as good as anything out there, as far as I'm concerned.

Upon inspecting popsike, both Anita Humes and Wanderers have gone under 25 several times in the last year. Book price might be higher, but if they can be somewhat consistently had for less, I guess they kind of count at least?

Ebay is not a reliable indicator of prices though is it, they are all over the place. And Anita Humes has also sold for more on ebay on a consistant basis.  Many no longer bother with it because of charges and fees.  Add your postage to the price and it is no longer the baragin one thinks.  One dealer today says he rarely looks at it.  Anita Humes, you couldn't get one for £25 upon hearingfor the first time from a dealer, £40 would be about thebest you could expect.  It wouldn't be much cheaper on a list on say here.  Like I said we all get bargains and drop lucky but there is a perceived and accepted value for most records on the scene and this must be the price you go by otherwise the event loses all credibility.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The boot is a fake Jubilee promo with Good Little You on flip. Original is available on a black issue on the flip of You Can't Sit Down Jubilee 5566. Original of Good Little you is flip of Dancing on the Beach (Jubilee 5539)

If we're doing the Jubilee stuff that got played I should also mention "It's Got You" 5554

I feel extremely sad all of a sudden....

Social source share

As I'm relatively new to collecting/Dj'ing and don't earn a monster wage, I simply cannot afford to spend too much on records, so here's a few that I've picked up since I started collecting a few years ago.....

The Admirations - Don't Leave Me (One-Derful)
The Astors - Candy (Stax)
Johhny Sayles - Anything For You (Minit)
The Dreams - (They Call Me) Jesse James (D.C. Sound Ltd)
Marv Johnson - I Miss You Baby (Tamla Motown)
The Capitols - Ain't That Terrible (Karen)
Syl Johnson - Sorry Bout Dat (Twilight)
Eddie Floyd - People Get It Together (Stax)
Joe Simon - I Gotta Whole Lotta Lovin' (Sound Stage 7)
Ruby Winters - I Don't Want To Hurt Nobody (Diamond)
Wakefield Sun - Get Out (MGM)
Alvin Valentine - Sweet Sweet Revenge (Brunswick)
Al and Jet - Nothing To Hide (Philips) 
Johnny Thompson - Mainsqueeze (Newmiss)
Z. Z. Hill - Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep (Kent)
The Bamboos - Tighten Up (Kay-Dee)
Z. Z. Hill - No More Doggin' (Kent)
Garnett Mimms - Prove It To Me (United Artists)
Eddie Parker - I Need A True Love (Triple B)
The Ethics - Look At Me Now (Vent)
The Righteous Brothers Band - Rat Race (Verve)
The Superiors - What Would I Do (Verve)
Chris Clark - Love's Gone Bad (V.I.P)
Jimmy Bee - Wanting You (Kent)
Etta James & Sugar Pie DeSanto - Do I Make Myself Clear (Chess)
The Volcanoes - Storm Warning (Arctic)
Pat Lundy - Mr. Rainmaker (Columbia)
Viola Wills - I Got Love (Bronco)
The Flamingos - The Boogaloo Party (Philips)
Joe Cato - I'm So Glad (Chess)
Linda Jones - I Can't Stop Loving My Baby (Loma)

Just to name a few 

Social source share

The boot is a fake Jubilee promo with Good Little You on flip. Original is available on a black issue on the flip of You Can't Sit Down Jubilee 5566. Original of Good Little you is flip of Dancing on the Beach (Jubilee 5539)

Thanks for the info! I knew it wasn't an official release, but wasn't aware it as available on 45 otherwise.

Social source share

Ebay is not a reliable indicator of prices though is it, they are all over the place. And Anita Humes has also sold for more on ebay on a consistant basis.  Many no longer bother with it because of charges and fees.  Add your postage to the price and it is no longer the baragin one thinks.  One dealer today says he rarely looks at it.  Anita Humes, you couldn't get one for £25 upon hearingfor the first time from a dealer, £40 would be about thebest you could expect.  It wouldn't be much cheaper on a list on say here.  Like I said we all get bargains and drop lucky but there is a perceived and accepted value for most records on the scene and this must be the price you go by otherwise the event loses all credibility.

Spot on there Chalky! Half the problem with Ebay and the likes of Popsike/Collectors Frenzy is they do NOT reflect the true value of how much a record is worth, only how much someone is willing to pay for that particular record. For example on Popsike you'll see someone paid £553 on 26/7/2013 for a white label Quinvy reissue of Don Varner- Tear Stained Face, the seller even states in the listing "This is the 2nd issue 1970s version!" This record can be had for £10+ depending on where you see it up for sale. The person that bought that copy might need their eyes tested. In any case, the value of a record, its subjective, and I reckon any value should be seen through the eyes of common sense really.

Admittedly some records in the up to £50 value bracket can be bought for much less but ya looking at mostly trashed G graded records or either lucky with a seller that doesnt know what they are selling and you snap up a bargain! Prices are subjective and i think that people that have been around a while on the scene i.e.  dealers, collectors and djs know in their hearts of hearts how much a record is truly worth its just that some of them dealers/sellers out there are darn right cheeky with their prices and auctions which doesnt help in the whole matter in pinning down a universal and definitive price or value on a certain record.

Edited by foi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

FWIW, the Anita Humes 45 in question was a set sale (discogs), and $25 in VG+ condition. Not saying that's what it usually goes for, but it goes to show that even dealers' prices vary quite a bit — in both directions (on the opposite end of the spectrum, I see there's a Bruce Cloud "My Book" on discogs ATM for the tidy sum of €1500… Best of luck with that one).

I suppose in terms of playing those records at a strict "under 25" event, to an audience of people with a certain common perception of a record's worth, records like Anita Humes and Wanderers might not fit the bill though. But most of the others I listed should rarely go over 25, although some are harder to get a hold of than others (I don't see Tommy Duncan for sale very often, for instance, but I got mine from a very well known British dealer for £10+post, I believe, about a year ago).

A couple more off the top of my head…

The Exception — You Always Hurt Me (Capitol)

Dee Dee Warwick — Do It With All Of Your Heart (Blue Rock)

The Festivals — Music (Smash)

The Buckinghams — You Misunderstand Me (Columbia)

Joe Tex — Close the Door (Dial)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Our next event will see the return of the " under £25 room "  @ Different Strokes....... A 2 room event on Sat 4th April... There will also be sales under £25 boxes....... See event below..

Nice to see someone has got the balls to do something different and play some underplayed or cheaper tunes! You look at Soul Bowl lists from 70s/80s and they were all cheap back then and became biggies years later! I had a copy of Wade Flemons - Jeanette in a soul bowl pack back in the early 80s (cost a pittance), didnt even know at the time what i had in my hands til it became much bigger many years later! The same I believe applies to the cheap, semi known, underplayed or whatever you want to call it tunes that need their big break. And its not like the cheap good stuff is all on common well known labels, there are some real lesser known small labels with great tunes on them.....e.g. The Four Sonics- Where Are You on Triple B label - a fantastic Ashford and Chandler production that can be bought for next to nothing (well used to be) and is a great tune. Anyway, keep this thread going as im sure it'll convert a few more middle aged soulies that are set in their ways!

Edited by foi
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!