Dave Godins - Deep Soul Treasures Volume 5 ?

With the tenth anniversary of Dave's death coming up (Oct. 14), I was thinking how easy it would be to compile a volume 5. This could come from tracks Dave had written about in B &S & Black Music magazines together with tracks Ace could not get clearance for at the time. Plus Dave compiled a Deep Soul C-90 tape for the Rock magazine "Mojo" before the  release of the "Deep Soul Treasures" series. Six of these tracks were not released on "Treasures". This venture had Dave's regular in depth notes.

Tracks from the C-90 not on "Treasures" are as follows:-

Mary Wells - The Doctor, The Chantels - Every Night, Big Maybelle- Old Love Never Dies, Garnett Mimms - It Was Easier To Hurt Her, Emotions - Somebody New & Impressions - Fool For You. 

Add to these Dave's all time fav. song, Big Maybelle's- Don't Pass me By, and tracks he had written about in depth, such as Holland-Dozier - Don't Leave Me, Dee Dee Warwick's - She Didn't Know and Barbara Lewis - Don't Forget About Me.

I am sure members can quickly add songs to this list. Sleeve notes could easily be compiled from Dave's own words.

Would Ace be interested in this? You never know it would be a fitting tribute!

Dave actually sent me a copy of this imaginary tape , it would be a good idea to issue another CD of Dave's recommendations ....

Social source share

I have a tape somewhere in the house Dave sent me as a wide eyed teenager falling in love with Deep Soul, no track listing though from memory side one contained mostly the tracks which later made up the bulk of Treasures Vol 1, side two had Irma Thomas's then latest album on Fungus. If I can find it I'll post up any tracks not already mentioned on this thread should there be any.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a tape somewhere in the house Dave sent me as a wide eyed teenager falling in love with Deep Soul, no track listing though from memory side one contained mostly the tracks which later made up the bulk of Treasures Vol 1, side two had Irma Thomas's then latest album on Fungus. If I can find it I'll post up any tracks not already mentioned on this thread should there be any.

Please do

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!