Unexpected Floor Emptier

Guest Gogs

I was dj-ing at the week-end and had the floor quite busy until i played The Apollas - Mr Creator, it definitely surprised me to see the floor empty. Anybody else had a similar experience? (i got them back with some 70's) but not what i had expected at all !!!

Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Maybe too fast these days? Always had people throwing themselves around the dancefloor at its peak though didn't it? Mid tempo,even down tempo seems to be the"in vogue"style at many venues, ie Bernard Drake, Arthur Foy etc,something the over 40's can actually dance to!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe too fast these days? Always had people throwing themselves around the dancefloor at its peak though didn't it? Mid tempo,even down tempo seems to be the"in vogue"style at many venues, ie Bernard Drake, Arthur Foy etc,something the over 40's can actually dance to!

Funny enough i'm just back from doing some shopping, where i bumped into one of the girls who was at the nite and when i mentioned this to her, her answer was "we are getting older and just can't dance to these records anymore". looks like i might have to sell of all my shuffler style 45's and get some more mid to slow tempo stuff.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The Announcements Last Orders At The Bar on Time Please records....haha.

Careful though. You want the one with the clock on the lable. The one with a digital interface is a much later re-issue.

Bell Stamped of course

Social source share

Funny enough i'm just back from doing some shopping, where i bumped into one of the girls who was at the nite and when i mentioned this to her, her answer was "we are getting older and just can't dance to these records anymore". looks like i might have to sell of all my shuffler style 45's and get some more mid to slow tempo stuff.

Mid tempo is the way forward mate.

:thumbup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

About 6 months ago I played Joanne Summers- Never Throw Your Dreams Away. Cleared the floor completely, the only things left on the floor was a couple of handbags, when the record finished they got back on the floor. A few came up to me and said "who was that?" And "what was that?". They said they "loved the track". Especially the words in it. I said "well, why didn't you dance to it?" They said "Never heard that before". Well if you don't go anywhere you aren't gonna hear stuff like that, end of.billy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wouldn't worry about clearing the floor.

A few years ago I played Shirley Wahls which completely cleared the floor then immediately received the biggest applause of the night.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

after my spot about a dozen different people came up to me and said "what a great spot" so not really worried more surprised.

Social source share

Good , exciting, soulful, underplayed or semi-known, unknown tunes are the way forward. There are loads of them out there and people are starting to listen apparently. Thats what keeps what was originally a forward thinking scene moving forward.

I played an early spot for 1 1/2 hours of newies and cross-over tracks, place was still quite quiet but very few of the people in had heard many of the tracks.

Social source share

I've cleared the floor on a few occasions with Summer in the Parks - East Coast Connection .

Not really sure why caus if I was on the floor I'd be jumping around like a mad man .

Still I like it and I'm happy , I'm on the other side of the decks blowing my imaginary whistle ....... there goes Kool and the Gang check them out ya'alllllll !!!  :tumbleweed3:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

My playlists lately have cleared the floor in the South but when I post up a playlist everyone says I would of danced my arse off to that set  :huh:  I'm not silly I have written all their names down and going to personally pick them all up and drag them along when I dj next  :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

My playlists lately have cleared the floor in the South but when I post up a playlist everyone says I would of danced my arse off to that set  :huh:  I'm not silly I have written all their names down and going to personally pick them all up and drag them along when I dj next  :lol:

when being the right word  lol :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

after my spot about a dozen different people came up to me and said "what a great spot" so not really worried more surprised.

a lot of people lie...........you,ll know when you,ve played a good spot :):thumbsup:

Social source share

Love Apollas tune and would have loved to hear it at the venue I attended, definitely would have got me on the floor.

Had a similar experience with Jerry Williams - if you ask me, cleared the floor; the following month at the same venue another DJ filled the floor with the tune. Perhaps the audience were expecting me to play my usual set of uptempo tunes.

Don't give up on Apollas, slip it in early before the audience gets knackered, followed up with 'Shotgun and the duck' or 'Coming to your rescue'... :yes: Proper leg stretchers eh; these days the latter are probably in the category of 'Cardiac ward tunes'.

Ten years time the floor fillers will be 'zimmer frame numbers';  hence I'm keeping my copy of Nolan Porter 'If I could only be sure'.   :yes:    

Social source share

Love Apollas tune and would have loved to hear it at the venue I attended, definitely would have got me on the floor.

Had a similar experience with Jerry Williams - if you ask me, cleared the floor; the following month at the same venue another DJ filled the floor with the tune. Perhaps the audience were expecting me to play my usual set of uptempo tunes.

Don't give up on Apollas, slip it in early before the audience gets knackered, followed up with 'Shotgun and the duck' or 'Coming to your rescue'... :yes: Proper leg stretchers eh; these days the latter are probably in the category of 'Cardiac ward tunes'.

Ten years time the floor fillers will be 'zimmer frame numbers';  hence I'm keeping my copy of Nolan Porter 'If I could only be sure'.   :yes:    

the main problem with this is that i'm known primary as an oldies dj, although i do have lots of other stuff.

Social source share

the main problem with this is that i'm known primary as an oldies dj, although i do have lots of other stuff.

What did you play for the 2 or 3 tunes before it? Surprised no one has asked that, if you were playing 70s as you said had them filling the dancefloor, or a couple of slower oldies, could explain it to be more misjudgement, than the tune itself... :hatsoff2:  we all do it.........

Edited by Maxwell
Social source share

I've cleared the floor on a few occasions with Summer in the Parks - East Coast Connection .

Not really sure why caus if I was on the floor I'd be jumping around like a mad man .

Still I like it and I'm happy , I'm on the other side of the decks blowing my imaginary whistle ....... there goes Kool and the Gang check them out ya'alllllll !!!  :tumbleweed3:

Probably the vocal.Its shite. Now the other side......... :wicked:

Social source share

About 6 months ago I played Joanne Summers- Never Throw Your Dreams Away. Cleared the floor completely, the only things left on the floor was a couple of handbags, when the record finished they got back on the floor. A few came up to me and said "who was that?" And "what was that?". They said they "loved the track". Especially the words in it. I said "well, why didn't you dance to it?" They said "Never heard that before". Well if you don't go anywhere you aren't gonna hear stuff like that, end of.billy

joanie sommers track is awesome.i have it & would deffo dance to it

Social source share

Now, i don't know what was being played before that tune, but it also depends on the rest of the set, rather than the tune itself. I've seen good djs playing average tunes and filling the floor because the mix was flowing properly. I have also witnessed weak djs empting the floor with great tunes just because they all had different tempos/styles

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!