Unexpected Floor Emptier

Guest Gogs

I was dj-ing at the week-end and had the floor quite busy until i played The Apollas - Mr Creator, it definitely surprised me to see the floor empty. Anybody else had a similar experience? (i got them back with some 70's) but not what i had expected at all !!!

Yeh loads of times - It's a compliment....................isn't it? :huh: 

:D 

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What did you play for the 2 or 3 tunes before it? Surprised no one has asked that, if you were playing 70s as you said had them filling the dancefloor, or a couple of slower oldies, could explain it to be more misjudgement, than the tune itself... :hatsoff2:  we all do it.........

Fair point, i will have to check. Normally i put my playlists up but i've not had time this week.

Social source share

I've asked for 3 records recently at 3 different events, Little Girl, I belong to you (vocal) and Undiscovered Country. All 3 had an adverse reaction on the floor, as in virtually emptying it. All 3 DJs IMO know what they're doing and fitted the records in to their set properly, 2 of the records are really well known, not sure how popular or well known the Gene Vito is, but around our area (Northant's/Beds) it's been played for quite a while. Conclusion, the crowd in, just wanted records they know, so no blame attached to the DJs IMO, although I did apologise to all of them for asking for said records. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Maybe too fast these days? Always had people throwing themselves around the dancefloor at its peak though didn't it? Mid tempo,even down tempo seems to be the"in vogue"style at many venues, ie Bernard Drake, Arthur Foy etc,something the over 40's can actually dance to!

Not too fast for this over, er, 40, it's just bloody awful.  In my opinin of course. :)

Social source share

I was dj-ing at the week-end and had the floor quite busy until i played The Apollas - Mr Creator, it definitely surprised me to see the floor empty. Anybody else had a similar experience? (i got them back with some 70's) but not what i had expected at all !!!

I know it does happen and it's probably unexplainable. I've seen that with the Charts - Living the nightlife, where 1 day it filled the floor and some other venue at a later date emptied it. I'm currently at 17 in the top 10.000 worst DJs ever and I once played Bobby Hebb - Love, love, love the place went wild, the same venue a year later no-one danced. It's probably not worthwhile analysing this too much I saw Ian Levine play Chris Montez - The more I see you and the place went bonkers, it just happens. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

unless you have a crystal ball how can "anyone" predict if a tune will fill or empty a floor.... the record does what it does :wink:

going back a few years (prob 8) i used to be one of the residents at this venue, but have not dj-ed there since, and this record used to fill the floor. But I guess that we are now all 8 years older and now can't do now what we used to do. Going by the rest of what i played mid-tempo rules. My biggest floor came to these 3 in a row David Ruffin- Rode by the place, Martha Reeves- No one there & Terry Collier- Ordinary joe, all on the slower side.

Social source share

Fair point, i will have to check. Normally i put my playlists up but i've not had time this week.

Usually put my records in order of what played but this time they are all over the place, so i can't remember very much, i do know that i started with The Brothers- Are you ready for this (as this was always my first track at this venue), think that the Apollas were about 6-8 tracks in.

Social source share

the record does what it does :wink:

The records don't D.J themselves, it's all about delivery / timing - as in, a certain record being played at a suitable point in the night / for that particular crowd. This isn't a dig btw, D.Jing isn't easy as far as I'm concerned.

We all drop 'clangers' though - That is part of the 'buzz' :wink: 

All the best

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The records don't D.J themselves, it's all about delivery / timing - as in, a certain record being played at a suitable point in the night / for that particular crowd. This isn't a dig btw, D.Jing isn't easy as far as I'm concerned.

We all drop 'clangers' though - That is part of the 'buzz' :wink: 

All the best

:( I always get shot down with a scientific answer :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:( I always get shot down with a scientific answer :(

I feel guilty now! Didn't mean to shoot ya mate :wink: 

I find the art of D.Jing fascinating (some will scoff at that I know) Some D.J's have a 'magic' others don't, and not all the D.J's I see that way use the mike - It's 'something else' :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Yeh loads of times - It's a compliment....................isn't it? :huh: 

:D 

:D Yo Len, the couple who did the 11.00 to 11.45 last night immidiatley emptied the and it more or less, (less being the word) stayed empty for their 45 minute spot, I'll be honest and say personally I did'nt know a single tune they played, however, not knowing new tunes has never been an issue for me, if a tune has kudos you can dance to it.

When's the nxt one Len, were well worth the travel up from Luton :yes:  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Keep attending mate, you will soon get to know the tunes - We're 'sticking to the plan' because it's working (Next one is 31st Jan 2015)

I will continue to 'tweak' things as this project unfolds, for instance, the next time the couple you refer to D.J, it will be at a slightly earlier time (I danced to loads of their set btw) The D.J's instructions were to 'stick to the plan' no matter what, because the minute it becomes like any other event, I'll simply close the doors - 'Unique - or not at all' :wink:

Great 'buzz' weren't it? :wink:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Keep attending mate, you will soon get to know the tunes - We're 'sticking to the plan' because it's working (Next one is 31st Jan 2015)

I will continue to 'tweak' things as this project unfolds, for instance, the next time the couple you refer to D.J, it will be at a slightly earlier time (I danced to loads of their set btw) The D.J's instructions were to 'stick to the plan' no matter what, because the minute it becomes like any other event, I'll simply close the doors - 'Unique - or not at all' :wink:

Great 'buzz' weren't it? :wink:

Brilliant venue, brilliant night, despite my comment, BUT, to that point you couldn't get room ont floor to dance proper  :hatsoff2:  :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:  :hatsoff2:  :hatsoff2:  

Edited by ZootSuit
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Brilliant venue, brilliant night, despite my comment, BUT, to that point you couldn't get room ont floor to dance proper  :hatsoff2:  :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:  :hatsoff2:  :hatsoff2:  

As you well know, the last thing on my mind when organising an event is people dancing! :D 

'Chicken and egg' really ain't it mate? Huge dance floor needs to be filled / Medium dance floor gives the D.J's more 'licence' to play what they want. Also (as you saw) this particular venue isn't 'entirely' focussed on the dance floor - There are 'pockets' all around the place (The Bar area / the Record Bar / the back bit) where people listen / talk, and have a laugh.

Sorry to the thread starter about this going down a different avenue (although loosely relevant) Back on topic now please.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Only time I EVER DJ'd first out of box was This gets to me - Pookie Hudson...........EVERY BUGGER SAT DOWN.....never DJ'd again, talk about feeling shot down in flames its a bloody lonely spot up there :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Only time I EVER DJ'd first out of box was This gets to me - Pookie Hudson...........EVERY BUGGER SAT DOWN.....never DJ'd again, talk about feeling shot down in flames its a bloody lonely spot up there :(

And you handled it superbly mate, you really did - People don't realise that putting yourself up there / out there, comes with 'pain' at times - It is something one has to be capable of dealing with :wink:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!