Chris L

The Worst Beer You Ever Drunk ?

There used to be a nice pub where I lived. I was never really a bitter/ale drinker, the arrival of lager kinda saved me. Having said that the worst lager beer I ever drunk was one called "Saxon'" brewed in the 1970s. Yuk !!

There used to be a nice pub where I lived. I was never really a bitter/ale drinker, the arrival of lager kinda saved me. Having said that the worst lager beer I ever drunk was one called "Saxon'" brewed in the 1970s. Yuk !!

Drunk far too much to ever be able to remember or to single one out Chris. I've drank some shite in my time. 

:hypo:

Chris. Without a doubt the worst ever had to be that alcohol free thing called calibre or something like that. Went a soul nite at the saint's club in st Helens and was driving so I had about six pints of this stuff. God was I ill the following morning with the worst hangover ever inflicted on a person. Never again. Don't even know if they still make it.

Steve

Worst beer for me must be from the 70s up to the 90s. Mind you thats in retrospect because it was enjoyable at the time. Like many things beer and music is better today than ever. The only thing missing is the innocence of the first time round. Love real ale from the last ten years or so. Ade

M

Kestrel Lager and Ace Lager, at least Ace lager was featured in Viz Magazine. (8 Ace), I have unhappy memories of Tennants Super and Carlsberg Special Brew, but the worst lager ever was in Rotterdam, watching 'Rovers play Feyenoord at "Das Tub" of which I drank a gallon, with no effect whatsoever as it was 2% alcohol.

Edited by Dave Ward

The one pub in town we always used to avoid was a Vaux pub. Don't know if it was a crap brew, or it didn't travel well from the North East or the landlord didn't keep a good cellar, but we'd always switch to shorts if we went in there.

Remember one of my old mates tipping up one night with two plastic bottles of home brew which he'd nicked from his girlfriends dads. He then proceeded to mix it with a concoction of crushed up valium, mogadon and the likes - a huge bag of pills.

Guess what? Yep, we drank it.

:(

I was once in a London pub back in the 90's. All they had was this weird light coloured stuff. Tasted of cat's pee, went through me in 2 minutes, and despite being weaker than strained tea gave me a thumping headache

..................found out is was some stuff callled lager :D  :D :D  

2 lagers spring to mind holds lager was called regal ( lager backwards) awful stuff then carling black label was awful and still is.

Bitters I was more into lager but whitbreads gauntlet was pretty atrocious.

Holt's bitter was an acquired taste.

There was a brewery in Nottingham called Shipstones and their bitter was something that I could only imagine would taste like if you strained cat shit through a sweaty sock and stirred in gusset filtered puke with a rusty spoon.  

There was a brewery in Nottingham called Shipstones and their bitter was something that I could only imagine would taste like if you strained cat shit through a sweaty sock and stirred in gusset filtered puke with a rusty spoon.

Oz Clarke couldn't have put it better.

Any of the popular American so-called "beers"  ("lagers").  So-called "Budweiser" has nothing to do with the great Budweiss that August Busch brought from Bayern to St. Louis in 1869.  Miller Liight, Michelob, Schlitz, etc. are all mostly water with a little hopps juice and a little alchohol (swill).

I live in Darwen, Lancashire, close to Thwaites brewery, but, almost everyone drinks Fosters Lager, including me. There is a microbrewer in town 'Hopstar' which has excellent reviews, but by the time the door has shut behind me, Sharon has already poured me a pint of the 'Aussie Nectar'. ( Oh just for the info. of you southerners, it's £2:50 a pint ) !

An excellent description. Shippo's was notoriously dodgy. After several nights in the local that ended on and over the toilet, I actually got used to it. :(

An excellent description. Shippo's was notoriously dodgy. After several nights in the local that ended on and over the toilet, I actually got used to it. :(

Always thought that the regulars in Shippo pubs were on a quest to show how hard they were, like these gimps who eat the hottest peppers. Your sad face at the end of your post was synonymous of most Shippo bitter drinkers, living life on the edge but never far from the toilet. Their brown ale "Nut Brown" was at least a bit more user friendly.

Was just going to post the exact same thing mate, well maybe not the bit about sweaty socks & gussets  :huh:

What about Kimberley bitter as well? Seem to remember that being equally shite!

Now Mansfield bitter on the other hand, pure quality and a sad day for this town when they closed the brewery :(

Was just going to post the exact same thing mate, well maybe not the bit about sweaty socks & gussets  :huh:

Now Mansfield bitter on the other hand, pure quality and a sad day for this town when they closed the brewery :(

Kimberley, Shipstones and I think it was Banks Bitter, all terrible.

Where is Mansfield brewed these days.  Not a bad pint back when I was a lad.

Edited by chalky

Kimberley, Shipstones and I think it was Banks Bitter, all terrible.

Where is Mansfield brewed these days.  Not a bad pint back when In was a lad.

The brewery was taken over by Wolverhampton & Dudley about 15 years ago mate and its brewed down that way now. Not the same though  :(

The brewery site now stand derelict in the heart of the town like so many other places, a real shame….

As I recall the most common phrase used in Shippo and kimbo pubs was to the landlord "pipes need cleaning mate!!!"

Mansfield bitter on the other hand was nectar of the gods and should never be mentioned on a thread like this :thumbup:

The brewery was taken over by Wolverhampton & Dudley about 15 years ago mate and its brewed down that way now. Not the same though  :(

The brewery site now stand derelict in the heart of the town like so many other places, a real shame….

My local was Mansfield and I remember it getting the Wolvo beer in, yuk!

As I recall the most common phrase used in Shippo and kimbo pubs was to the landlord "pipes need cleaning mate!!!"

Mansfield bitter on the other hand was nectar of the gods and should never be mentioned on a thread like this :thumbup:

Always liked Mansfield and Kimberley years ago, but the Mansfield of today doesn't do it for me at all. Perhaps I just have weird taste buds.

Don't who makes Mansfield now, or where it's made.

Edited by Grayman45

Chris. Without a doubt the worst ever had to be that alcohol free thing called calibre or something like that. Went a soul nite at the saint's club in st Helens and was driving so I had about six pints of this stuff. God was I ill the following morning with the worst hangover ever inflicted on a person. Never again. Don't even know if they still make it.

Steve

I wouldn't put a fire out with Kalibre, disgusting.

Carlsberg! 'The Headache in a Can'....... strangely though the taste has improved slightly since they've stopped sponsoring Liverpool.

Carlsberg is awful. Everyone raved about their strong Elephant one where I grew up. What a let down.. One of the worst I ever Trunk...

WEBSTERS GREEN LABEL,  YUK

LAWRENCE

A guy I know used to say:

If you think the bottom has dropped out of your world

drink a pint of Websters and the world will drop out of your bottom.

Edited by Kegsy

Any of the popular American so-called "beers"  ("lagers").  So-called "Budweiser" has nothing to do with the great Budweiss that August Busch brought from Bayern to St. Louis in 1869.  Miller Liight, Michelob, Schlitz, etc. are all mostly water with a little hopps juice and a little alchohol (swill).

US beer isn't much more than adult Coke-Cola - mind you I do like Sam Adams.

There are no bad beers, just some are worse than others,

Having said that I find most 'real ales' come in headache flavour, they actually taste of a hangover,

I'm just the opposite, I love the large variety of tastes and the smell of real ales.  Lager to me is just a gassy glass of chemicals that spends the night repeating on me.

Probably some of the local Kentish brews when I lived in Canterbury. Stuff like Bishop's Finger. :ohmy:

Disagree there fella,that and Spitfire are quality beers. :thumbup:  :P

I personally find most lagers especially fosters and of that calibre taste like urine  :hypo:  :facepalm: .  Rather not bother drinking unless it`s real ale.

Robinsons brewery used to do a bobbins lager, can't recall the name of it though. Holt's Regal lager is long gone too but Crystal by them is bang on. J.W. Lees brewery was the death knell of many a soul night in Greater Manchester, it was like boiled earwax.

Robinsons brewery used to do a bobbins lager, can't recall the name of it though. Holt's Regal lager is long gone too but Crystal by them is bang on. J.W. Lees brewery was the death knell of many a soul night in Greater Manchester, it was like boiled earwax.

Caroline's richard searlings Tuesday night in the 70's was J W Lees bloody awful stuff

As a young teenager (pre moustache days) loitering about the streets at night our entertainment was sat in some disused outside toilet next to the local football pitches (nice) sharing and drinking (aka forcing it down) a couple o' bottles of Newcastle Brown commonly known in the trade as Newky Brown. Some lads used to prove how mental they were by biting the metal tops off with their teeth. I never did. I might be reckless but at least I'm responsible.

Never touched a drop since.

Still scarred.

Derek

Chaps in America regularly used to make quips about Budweiser along the lines of 'drinking it in boats is the closest thing to water' or summat..

20106255_dff0c0cfba.jpg?v=0This was awful sold in Sam Smiths pubs which also sold/sells the worst beer ever.

Sam Smith,s old brewery bitter when kept correctly is the nectar of the gods , never been a lager drinker, left that for the girls and the soft southern nancy boys to drink , but during the miners strike in 84/85 used to down a few pints of draught ayingerbrau pils lager in one of our local miners welfares and it soon got you rocking at less than a quid a pint , we used to call it wall climber , but never gave you a headache or hang over the next day ,.

Always liked Mansfield and Kimberley years ago, but the Mansfield of today doesn't do it for me at all. Perhaps I just have weird taste buds.

Don't who makes Mansfield now, or where it's made.

Pay attention at the back………. see post 26…. :huh:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.