Chris L profile photo

The Worst Beer You Ever Drunk ?

Posted

Many years ago I was at a funeral during the day and was the driver on the night time for a soul night at Saints ( St Helens ) so I ended up drinking a alcohol free lager called kaliber all day and night.. I drunk about 10 bottles. The following day I seriously had the worst hangover ever. God was I ill.

Steve

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Dog Bolta... dreadful stuff...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Deuchars, Doombar, Hobgoblin and Bombardier are shite in my little world

Kev

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Benskins, aka bumsquirts.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Guinness or anything brahn! 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Dragon Stout, you get the hangover without getting drunk. 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I want what ever this Gent was drinking please......:yes:  :rofl:   

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Sam Smiths.
Cheap for a reason.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Stones bitter,  the only beer to ever give me a headache!:(

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Caffreys, drunk 14 pints one night on its first appearance, half price special promotion offer, never touched it since,🤢

IMG_0543.JPG

Edited by joesoul1958

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Watney's was most certainly the worst beer I can remember in the East Anglia region. They had taken over several smaller breweries in the 60's & 70's which culminated in owning most of the pubs in norwich and a compleat monopoly of the beer sales in the area. In 1971 they were infact exposed by the sunday mirror and were found to be selling their Starlight bitter at just 2.4% proof. This equates to about 1.4% abv. Impossible to get even slightly merry on after ten pints. In 76 Watney  Mann ( East Anglia) Ltd became the Norwich Brewery company but things did not improve right up to the 80's, it closed in 85. Thankfully Norfolk has many excellent micro breweries in 2017, and thankfully they are not pulled through sparklers/ air infusers to produce a head. I'm sure they were invented  for lovers of Yorkshire bitter  who need to clean those pawn star moustaches.:wicked:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Many years ago I was at a funeral during the day and was the driver on the night time for a soul night at Saints ( St Helens ) so I ended up drinking a alcohol free lager called kaliber all day and night.. I drunk about 10 bottles. The following day I seriously had the worst hangover ever. God was I ill.

Steve

I also tried to do the right thing when driving. It had the very same effect on me. Seemed to be chemical poisoning.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Whatever pint I have at the end, as that's the one that makes me throw up.......

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Watneys Red Barrel always made me poorly the next day. Needless to say I soon moved on to other beers.     Regards Fred. 

Edited by Mr Fred

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Local brewery now RIP (Thank F...k) Bentley's Yorkshire Beer BYB .....aka ... Bentley  Yellow Babba..... through the eye of a needle next day

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Greenall Whitley, served in local social club mid 80s. Ice cold, unbelievably gassy, almost impossible to drink more than a mouthful. Greenalls advertising at the time was "smile youre in Greenall Whitley land":facepalm:

Edited by soulatthedale
wrong spelling

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Dave Burton's stag night in Hong Kong. So drunk I couldn't talk, spent next 2 days in bed, was at wedding with a headache as big as barrage balloon.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

once got hands on some local rural lager in Poland - the day after was most fun

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Ahhh! slivovitz I think I can remember getting slaughtered on that in Poland. Who'd a thought that a home distilled 52% spirit made from rotten plums would make my liver quiver so badly, just as well I took a bottle of Buckfast Tonic Wine with me ("The term tonic wine does not infer any health giving properties") 

80973_COBBLER-003.jpg

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Everards Bitter a Leicester brew had a lot to answer for in my youth.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:52, joesoul1958 said:

Caffreys, drunk 14 pints one night on its first appearance, half price special promotion offer, never touched it since,🤢

IMG_0543.JPG

I had the same experience , local restaurant with bar had promotion night, your were supposed to get one pint free, me and a mate befriended the girl doing the promoting,that coupled with a meagre attendance meant trouble, owner insisted we come back soon and actually spend some money. Wives' weren't too happy either when our quick pint led to three hours.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Butterbeer the rub Notts 😫

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

There used to be a saying around our way "If you think the bottom has dropped out of your world, drink a pint of Websters and the world will drop out of your bottom".

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Courage Best Bitter dreadful stuff

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
59 minutes ago, psychedelic soul said:

Courage Best Bitter dreadful stuff

It was always said you needed courage to drink it.  Courage Sparkling Beer, or CSB, fuelled the Royal Navy for several decades, and claimed many unsuspecting victims.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Gold Label Barley Wine, Tennets Super and Carlsberg Special Brew...

All of which I tried as a student (just the once, for each beer).  Without exception I found they tasted foul and each gave me wobbly legs, a slack jaw, a headache from hell and an unexpected inability to control my bodily functions.

If they are still being brewed (which I would be amazed to hear as I found they tasted so appalling...who drinks them?) then my advice would be to avoid them like the plague...  

I feel slightly queasy thinking about them even now, 30+ years later.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
36 minutes ago, scooterboy said:

Gold Label Barley Wine, Tennets Super and Carlsberg Special Brew...

All of which I tried as a student (just the once, for each beer).  Without exception I found they tasted foul and each gave me wobbly legs, a slack jaw, a headache from hell and an unexpected inability to control my bodily functions.

If they are still being brewed (which I would be amazed to hear as I found they tasted so appalling...who drinks them?) then my advice would be to avoid them like the plague...  

I feel slightly queasy thinking about them even now, 30+ years later.

Usually seen in the hands of shouty people in the city centre parks before the pubs open, and empties often located on bus shelter seats......And I agree, they taste awful!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Whitbread Bighead Trophy Bitter, the pint that thinks it's a quart.

Most of the keg beers popular in the 70's were pretty insipid.  Preferred to drink in the Scottish & Newcastle owned pubs back then as the Younger's Scotch Bitter was a half decent pint.  The one pub to avoid in town was owned by Vaux and the beer was terrible.  Don't know if it was because it didn't travel well from Sunderland over to Cumbria, or the landlord didn't keep it right, or it truly was shocking beer.  Any Mackems on here may be able to tell me otherwise, but for years the pub had a reputation for the worst beer in town.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

M & B  Brew Eleven - some sticky floored boozer pretending to be smart in central Birmingham circa 72 - I'd just left the Birmingham Odeon - buzzing from seeing the Four Tops backed by Mable John and a proper backing orchestra with my brother Chris and a couple of school mates - gagging for a pint - finished up literally gagging on the beer - its all coming back to me - stale air / ale /  and that unmistakable tang and aroma of dipped and drained glasses - only saving grace - Levi and the boys - memories !!!

Steve

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Beer Festival.
    Freebasing by Drew3 on Thu 29 Aug 2019
    • 1 / 276
    • Drew3 on 29 Aug 2019
  2. Worst Cover Version Ever? Any Genre
    Freebasing by Martin S on Wed 19 Dec 2018
    • 121 / 5938
    • Soulsides on 24 Mar 2019
  3. Beer of the year 2018
    Freebasing by Tomangoes on Sat 29 Dec 2018
    • 2 / 494
    • Twoshoes on 30 Dec 2018
  4. Articles: Worst UK Releases - Pete Smith
    All About the SOUL by Pete S on Fri 07 Nov 1997
    • 23 / 3967
    • Shufflin on 10 Dec 2018
  5. Beer
    Freebasing by Steve S 60 on Mon 28 Nov 2016
    • 121 / 9688
    • Steve S 60 on 02 Sep 2018

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.