chalky

Wet Shaving

Anyone on here wet shave with a double edge safety razor, not the cartridge type you get these days.  I'm about to get one and narrowed my choice down to an Edwin Jagger 89L or the Merker 34c.  Anyone have a favourite?

Yeh bic for me all over head and face.Wife hates it when first done but a couple of days growth shes fine as i look like a serial killer.

Edited by NCFC

Hi Chalky, how you doing bud. I wet shave face and head. just use a Gillette mk3 but would recommend the use of Somersets shaving oil. best kimbo

Hi Chalky, how you doing bud. I wet shave face and head. just use a Gillette mk3 but would recommend the use of Somersets shaving oil. best kimbo

Ey up mate, good thanks, likewise I hope.

I've decided to go for the old fashioned razor and blade, everything I have read has said it is closer and more satisfying than anything a cartridge razor can offer.  I've had a couple of wet shaves in the barbers recently and they felt great afterwards.  I'm going the whole hog, pre oil, bought the brush and shaving cream already.  The razor I will order today along with post shaving cream etc.

You coming to Lifeline?  If so see you then for a catch up.

Edited by chalky

Like Kimbo I highly recommend the use of Shaving Oil rather than foam or shaving cream. King Of Shaves for me. Say goodbye to shaving rashes and clogged razors. In my experience the shaving medium is as important as the type of razor.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Like Kimbo I highly recommend the use of Shaving Oil rather than foam or shaving cream. King Of Shaves for me. Say goodbye to shaving rashes and clogged razors. In my experience the shaving medium is as important as the type of razor.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

I will be using a pre oil or gel and then a shaving cream (Taylors Of Old Bond Street I have recently purchased along with a decent brush).  I'm having the rest bought for my birthday  :)

I rarely shave, but use a cheap Morrisons one as they are as good as any other

I haven't read one review where a cheap throw away razor is as good as any other, just the opposite in fact.

If you shave your head you should try the clippers I use, Wahl Balding they're called, obviously they don't go down to the bone like a razor does but not far off.  Repeat every 7 or 8 days.

Best shave I ever had was with a cut throat. Amazing how close it was. Was on Holiday in Turkey went the whole hog and had the massage, shave, burns the hairs in your ears and up your nose amazing experience.

Steve

Only bit I didn't like was having each of your fingers pulled. What's that all about?

The key to a good wet shave is using a bowl of water as hot as you can bear, then submerging your face in it for as long as you can. Opens the pores and softens the whiskers. Plenty of cold water after shaving to close the pores again.

Only bit I didn't like was having each of your fingers pulled. What's that all about?

I know Steve. Felt a Bit weird to me too. Loved the wrapping your head in the warm towel bit then throwing on the aftershave type stuff. God that wash refreshing

Steve

I know Steve. Felt a Bit weird to me too. Loved the wrapping your head in the warm towel bit then throwing on the aftershave type stuff. God that wash refreshing

Steve

Everything I have read recommends a shower first then scrub, oil or pre gel/cream then the shaving cream etc.

My Dad ran an old fashioned Barbers shop,as said before always use hot water and soften the stubble,but when finished always wash the face again with hot soapy water and you'll never get shavers rash  :)

Edited by 22ndsoul

Don't think I would have liked to get a shave at the barber's I used to go to. When he cut my hair, he'd be reading the local rag, chatting to his regulars and trying to sell me a pair of Dealer's boots all at the same time.

I'm going the whole hog, pre oil, bought the brush and shaving cream already.  

I will be using a pre oil or gel and then a shaving cream (Taylors Of Old Bond Street I have recently purchased along with a decent brush). 

In mi early twenties I used have the occasional bash at wet shaving probably summat to do with rites of passage an all that sort o' stuff.

But as I get older my grasp of time is getting weaker and weaker (ie. I'm always running after the bus; Somehow I've never grasped the meaning of being early; early is quite simply not in my vocabulary).

So the thought of me flapping getting ready for a night on the disco trying to rush a wet shave, with the chaps waiting outside car running is just a non starter for me I'm afraid.

As I trust your judgement on records  I trust  your quality shaving brush doesn't use hair from a Badger.... When I first heard about that I had to go to bed for a couple o' days to recover I was so upset. Thankfully nowadays manufacturers can't use hair from the European or North American species as it's protected. However it's not so lucky in China where most of the import trade in Badger hair comes from.

Good luck with it Chalky though I am tempted to send you a packet of plasters for an early Christmas present.....

Wet shaving eh? what's going on? - you'll be wearing leather soled shoes at northern nights next.

Derek says keep it electric.

Fancy doing BCB soon?

Derek 

In mi early twenties I used have the occasional bash at wet shaving probably summat to do with rites of passage an all that sort o' stuff.

But as I get older my grasp of time is getting weaker and weaker (ie. I'm always running after the bus; Somehow I've never grasped the meaning of being early; early is quite simply not in my vocabulary).

So the thought of me flapping getting ready for a night on the disco trying to rush a wet shave, with the chaps waiting outside car running is just a non starter for me I'm afraid.

As I trust your judgement on records  I trust  your quality shaving brush doesn't use hair from a Badger.... When I first heard about that I had to go to bed for a couple o' days to recover I was so upset. Thankfully nowadays manufacturers can't use hair from the European or North American species as it's protected. However it's not so lucky in China where most of the import trade in Badger hair comes from.

Good luck with it Chalky though I am tempted to send you a packet of plasters for an early Christmas present.....

Wet shaving eh? what's going on? - you'll be wearing leather soled shoes at northern nights next.

Derek says keep it electric.

Fancy doing BCB soon?

Derek 

Hi mate

i spent half hour other day having  aproper wash and shave and it felt much better than the electric razor which I use in the week whilst home so I thought I'd go the whole hog. I might take you up on the plasters mind lol.

i'm off or a week at Christmas, we will sort a date for BCB unless we can sort something earlier.

Edited by chalky

Anyone on here wet shave with a double edge safety razor, not the cartridge type you get these days.  I'm about to get one and narrowed my choice down to an Edwin Jagger 89L or the Merker 34c.  Anyone have a favourite?

I use the Merkur 34c - solid, well made razor - pretty much what you might expect from a German manufacturer. 

Japanese Feathers are probably the best blades, or Gillette 7 o'clock. Just depends whether they suit you or not. The feathers are the sharpest in my experience but the Gillettes come a close second. They are also cheaper than the Feathers and last me a couple of shaves longer. Derby's left me looking like I'd had a fight with a tom cat!!

This is the website I use for purchases http://www.shaving-shack.com/razor-blades-selection/

Most people make far too much of shaving. I've always used a wet razor since I was 14. My dad bought me my first one and it was a decent one but for years I've used WilkSword throwaway cheapos. I also use an ordinary gel. I often shave using cold water. I couldn't care less if my pores are open or closed. It feels better sometimes. I don't see how  I could get a closer shave or a better result than I already do.

Edited by maslar

Most people make far too much of shaving. I've always used a wet razor since I was 14. My dad bought me my first one and it was a decent one but for years I've used WilkSword throwaway cheapos. I also use an ordinary gel. I often shave using cold water. I couldn't care less if my pores are open or closed. It feels better sometimes. I don't see how  I could get a closer shave or a better result than I already do.

Thanks for the insight,and joining in the spirit of the thread.

Btw,i used to know someone who had to shave twice a day to keep his growth under control.Once in the morning for work,and again before pub duties in the evening.Is this normal.? :lol:

Edited by KevH

Pobably because you haven't tried to shave properly?

Everything I have read recommends a shower first then scrub, oil or pre gel/cream then the shaving cream etc.

yes it opens up your skin pores if you shower, assuming you take a hot one of course.

Keils do wonderful blokes products for around the face. http://www.kiehls.co.uk/male-grooming  and Christmas is coming up. Nice to get something like that from Santa. They will do a box set type of thing usually with a wash bag. This is how I got into them a few years back. 

on the actual razor issue i was forced into using disposables when i go over to my place in Spain due to not being able to take my cut throat in hand luggage and being an interminable tight arse i dont want buy another as they are not cheap. However, I found the cheap chuck away razors with 2 blades from the supermarket were actually OK for use over a month shaving a few times a week. Was rather surprised.

I've gone for the merker 34c, I was going to getbthe 39c but everything I read said not to until used to using that type of razor...it'll be on the christmas list :). I've got a Taylors pre shave gel and a Taylors shaving cream with a decent brush from Taylors as well.  I've had a shave tonight, using my kings of shave cartridge, that'll be it till the weekend when I get home and give the new kit a go. oh I got a styptic pencil as well :lol: 

I've gone for the merker 34c, I was going to getbthe 39c but everything I read said not to until used to using that type of razor...it'll be on the christmas list :). I've got a Taylors pre shave gel and a Taylors shaving cream with a decent brush from Taylors as well.  I've had a shave tonight, using my kings of shave cartridge, that'll be it till the weekend when I get home and give the new kit a go. oh I got a styptic pencil as well :lol:

Chalky,  I would have thought you would not have to shave that much mate with all the chin stroking you do!! :g:

Evening young Chalk's , well you've started shaving then lad , a wet shave's a splendid way for a young chap to start his day , I always have used the wet shave technique and obviously explains my ever youthful Peter Pan type good looks. Careful when buying the brush it may say badger but it's probably a Chinese dog , better make the better the brush. A young chap like you may get carried away the all the creams and soaps on the market but in all my years of trial and error you can't beat a pot of omega . It's Italian but easily available on the net and will cost you less than a fiver , take it from me young man you'll feel like a lad of 16 again when you use this " crema de barba" . Remember after your shave to squeeze the last of the soap from the brush and use as an after wash. Regards Mr.S.Todd.

Jessica bought me a full shaving kit for Christmas. Razor, brush, shaving soap, and a variety of blades to try. I've used it whenever Ive had time, although I must admit, now I'm not working I don't bother shaving every day.

At first it was a bit scary, but now I find the whole ritual quite relaxing, and you definitely get a closer shave.

Hi All

water needs to be hot to skin ,but not to hot on blade-blunts the edge of razor blade. Double edge safety razor does not give a safe shave as compered to the likes of Mach 3 for example

you can not beat "cut throat always sharpened razor" but lot of skill involved 

Evening young Chalk's , well you've started shaving then lad , a wet shave's a splendid way for a young chap to start his day , I always have used the wet shave technique and obviously explains my ever youthful Peter Pan type good looks. Careful when buying the brush it may say badger but it's probably a Chinese dog , better make the better the brush. A young chap like you may get carried away the all the creams and soaps on the market but in all my years of trial and error you can't beat a pot of omega . It's Italian but easily available on the net and will cost you less than a fiver , take it from me young man you'll feel like a lad of 16 again when you use this " crema de barba" . Remember after your shave to squeeze the last of the soap from the brush and use as an after wash. Regards Mr.S.Todd.

The brush I got is from Taylors of Bond Street and it says badger hair, very reputable company so I can only take them at their word.  Will look at the omega mate.  

Have to agree with Dave, tis very relaxing spending the time got have a proper shave, far better than any electric shave and better than any of the cartridge razors, mach 3, king of shaves type things.

Gotta laugh, we've turned into a bunch of old men without even noticing.

A whole thread on shaving, whatever next, a thread about '70s bootlegs

Morning Dave and Jess hope you're both well , we're all getting old mate more funerals than weddings these day's . you can't beat a wet shave mate, I had an uncle Hesketh who was one of the last travelling knife grinders. He used to sharpen tools and lawn mower blades as well as knives ect , He used to shave with a razor sharp hatchet heat , working from memory I think it was a classic " chop chop no. 3"  and used to use a mix of paraffin and pork dripping for his shaving cream and finish with a concoction of rose petal and rosemary water. Regards Simon

The brush I got is from Taylors of Bond Street and it says badger hair, very reputable company so I can only take them at their word.  Will look at the omega mate.  

Have to agree with Dave, tis very relaxing spending the time got have a proper shave, far better than any electric shave and better than any of the cartridge razors, mach 3, king of shaves type things.

Chalks Taylors produce damned good stuff , you're obviously using a badger instead of any other bristles the Chinese have a surplus of.

Chalks Taylors produce damned good stuff , you're obviously using a badger instead of any other bristles the Chinese have a surplus of.

Think he's been using Beaver Simon, cos he smells like a right Fa**y when we go out (Joking Karl),anyway in future he shall be known by his American Indian name, OOhfookme itstinglikahell of the Nickandrash Tribe. :lol:  :hatsoff2: 

Spot. :shades: 

Good old styptic pencil beats the bits of toilet tissue or newspaper stuck to the face anyday  :yes:

Specially when you manage to peel yourself off the ceiling Shine!!!!!!!!!!!! :dash2:  :facepalm:  :sweatingbullets:  :shhh:  :hatsoff2: 

Spot. :shades: 

Didn't know whether to put this in the Film thread or here, but as the title of the Film thread includes the word "good", I've opted for here. Saw Johnny Depp in Mortdecai the other night, and one of the long running gags throughout the movie is his ridiculous moustache. His character, Lord Charlie Mortdecai, art dealer and rogue, appears in the advertising for a chain that sells gentlemen's grooming products, called The Art of Shaving. Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to peruse the premises of the aforementioned retailer in Orlando. A rather effeminate sales assistant showed me the various badger hair shaving brushes, ranging from Pure, through Fine to Silvertip. I was recommended a pure or fine brush, based on how regularly I scraped my chin, stubble density and how much exfoliation I required. Interesting stuff.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.