Venues Value For Money

barney

Can't think of a night I've been to recently that's more then a fiver & I would only expect to pay £10/12 for a nighter.All the night's I go to are run by people where it's about the music not making money.I understand that night's have to at least break even & have no problem them making a pint or two out of a night but they also don't need to fund the villa & Ferrari?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think we've had it good for years. It's been a fiver for most soul nights and a tenner for nighters at least as far back at the late 90s. It feels strange when I do pay more than a tenner, but as Chalky says we need to move with the times. £15 for 9 hours at a nighter is good value in my opinion.

Social source share

have not been to an allniter for years but can agree that this is going to cost more ,but there are loads of free entry events run by genuine soulies where the owners of these venues are quite happy to pay the dj,s/promoters and are happy with the increased bar takings , so how does this square with those venues at the other end of the spectrum ,

don't think comparisons with town centre nightclubs are relevant most soulies I know wouldn't dream of going to such places,.

Social source share

have not been to an allniter for years but can agree that this is going to cost more ,but there are loads of free entry events run by genuine soulies where the owners of these venues are quite happy to pay the dj,s/promoters and are happy with the increased bar takings , so how does this square with those venues at the other end of the spectrum ,

don't think comparisons with town centre nightclubs are relevant most soulies I know wouldn't dream of going to such places,.

LOADS of free entry events where the venue owners PAY the dj's & promoters????? Is this in La La land?

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

try Whitchurch soul club at the Archibald wmc 3 quality regular and 2 or more biger named dj's playing ovo and across the board music style

nice clean club, reasonable bar and cheap admission

Social source share

The Take Two in Sheffield early 90's was £2 to get in.  Today, well the third Friday, The Horti Club in Sheffield £3.  I bet the bus fair from Sheffield city centre to Darnell is more than the entrance fee!!

Just shows how prices haven't really changed for a long time.  Nighters back then were a fiver, they have only doubled in price in 20 odd years, I wish I could say the same for everything else in my life since then.

I'm happy to pay a little bit extra for some comfort, better equipment (new stylus or should I say styli alone should be a minimum requirement every time and they aren't cheap), different DJ's rather than the mates of mates you get at many places.  I usually find the cheaper the venue the worse the ale is as well.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think maybe the difference between the northern scene and other regular club goers is that they spend £20 to get in but it's local and they pay a bus fare or a short taxi ride to get there. We on the other hand travel the length of the country, so an entrance fee is added onto maybe £70 in petrol. In the scheme if things we are probably paying a lot more than clubbers. It's not the cost of getting into venues that puts people off, but the overall cost of a weekend these days, and when promoters put the price up (fair enough) it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Social source share

I think maybe the difference between the northern scene and other regular club goers is that they spend £20 to get in but it's local and they pay a bus fare or a short taxi ride to get there. We on the other hand travel the length of the country, so an entrance fee is added onto maybe £70 in petrol. In the scheme if things we are probably paying a lot more than clubbers. It's not the cost of getting into venues that puts people off, but the overall cost of a weekend these days, and when promoters put the price up (fair enough) it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.

To be fair Matt most promoters take into account the travelling and keep things as cheap as possible.  But again that is only relevant to those that travel, I guess the vast majority don't travel or don't travel too far.  And again I guess if you are a clubber, and I don't mean a local piss head going to the local night club, the dance scene or whatever it is called, clubs that employ the best DJ's, Ministry Of Sound, Creamfields or whatever is en vogue these days, they charge far more than we do and the travelling is there as well.

I'm travelling far less but that is because of the music that is on offer.  I can hear the same at local soul nights.  All the reasons I travelled the length and breadth of the country for are fast disappearing in a sea of mediocrity but that is a different argument.  The entrance fee if it was somewhere I wanted to go wouldn't put me off.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

went to eggboro last night £2 entry although got a free pass last night (thanks Julie) modern reasonably sized main room and a side room for the shufflers , £2.50 for a pint of john smiths , great dancefloor which was full all night. the sound system is ok and full of good people ,. 70 mile round trip so not exactly on doorstep but well worth it ,. could have gone to several more local venues but went there because one of our mates was guesting plus two other excellent dj,s who played great eclectic sets of quality music and had a few goes at making shapes on the floor myself ,.

free entry soul nights run by soulies with a vinyl only policy .are nothing new round here , landlords /club owners have cottoned on round our way that it attracts a reasonable crowd , not my cup of tea but hey ho its there .have a look in events ,.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thats a very good point.I dont go to as many venues these days but most involve spending on average £20 on fuel to get there.Another point to consider is that most peoples wages havent increased much if any in the last 10 years and lots of us are in low paid or part time jobs.Nowadays my record buying and venue spending has to be strictly budgeted.

On the whole i think most venues are still great value for money and some of the Weekenders even more so.But even at a weekender you have to factor in the price of your accomodation for 3 days.

Take the point about wanting nice venues with good facilities but the so called run down clubs and halls have always and still have that certain atmospheric x factor that our music thrives on.Some of my all time fave venues have been in such places.Nothing i hate more that a Northern soul night in a plush night club style setting it just doesnt feel right.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest RobCroskell

We have started a monthly soul night in Doncaster "upfront @ the horse & jockey" playing rare and undervalued across the board quality soul.. with cheap bar prices and FREE entry. We're not in it to make any money, just wanted an antedote to the plethora of monthly events in Donny playing the usual stuff we've heard a thousand times...our aim is to attract dj's from Doncaster and south York's (and beyond) who are willing to play for a few beers to the area's knowledgeable real soul crowd..

Admittedly, we're very lucky we've got a great (smallish) room for nothing with an excellent relationship with the owners which allows us the freedom to be a bit self indulgent.

Social source share

LOADS of free entry events where the venue owners PAY the dj's & promoters????? Is this in La La land?

We have started a monthly soul night in Doncaster "upfront @ the horse & jockey" playing rare and undervalued across the board quality soul.. with cheap bar prices and FREE entry. We're not in it to make any money, just wanted an antedote to the plethora of monthly events in Donny playing the usual stuff we've heard a thousand times...our aim is to attract dj's from Doncaster and south York's (and beyond) who are willing to play for a few beers to the area's knowledgeable real soul crowd..

Admittedly, we're very lucky we've got a great (smallish) room for nothing with an excellent relationship with the owners which allows us the freedom to be a bit self indulgent.

there was a free night on in Rotherham Friday run by a well established dj and promoter

Edited by barney
Social source share

I don't have a problem with entrance fees but I do have an issue with the greed of councils and holiday camps charging excessive prices for drinks at weekender venues

At one weekender this year I paid £4.50 for a pint of Guinness in a plastic glass

With the amount of people they get in they could afford to subsidise the drinks prices but instead they seem to increase them

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest southpaw

many,s the time on our travels when we get to the door of a venue with a tenner in my mitts for missis and myself and I have uttered the dreaded Yorkshire war cry AR MUCH ,and then this is usually compounded by sky high bar prices and you need the equivalent of the weekly 40 hours minimum wage to enjoy a night out ,

Would like to ask what peoples views are concerning door tariffs and bar prices ?

its usually the more of what I consider the more commercial bigger venues that tend to be pricey but are they value for money . there are a couple of high tariff venues not far from me and loads over the hills in injun country (lancs),.

the owners of these establishments not only want a cut of the door takings but also charge to me exhorbitant drinks prices of usually dubious quality beers ,lagers and disgusting dispensed soft drinks .

I have come to the conclusion that I no longer want to go to these places, because there are much cheaper venues playing equally or better quality music and the promoters of these are much friendlier and more accessible .

for instance went to a local venue near me last night £4  in, cheap bar ,change from a fiver for 2 drinks , run by people who have been on the scene for years who operate a strict OVO policy, playing  crackin genuine across the board sounds ,

whats your take on this folks ,.

regards B :hatsoff2:

Brilliant mate :-) :-)

Social source share

The sound system is as important as the venue / door tax.

Charge on the door should reflect 1) - room costs,2) - dj's fees 3) - amount of hours open.

Beer costs are usually the domain of the management / brewery.?

got to agree kev but would you go to a venue with sky high beer (drink) prices and the drinks were crap and undrinkable which is unfortunately true at some of these venues which don't open every night or every w/end even and beer is allowed to go stale . once bought a bottle of diet coke and it was 2 years out of date ffs .

Edited by barney
Social source share

Guest RobCroskell

There are not many who promote who are in it to make a profit, happy to cover costs and have enough for the next one.

I agree chalky... badly worded by me.. I didn't mean to imply everyone else is out to make a quick buck..

Social source share

Orrell All Dayer in Wigan. 1pm to 1am. £8 and a day full of class tunes across the board with a magic crowd... Top quality at a bargain price!! Highly recommended

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Nice response Dave. Happy to pay my dues wherever I go. It's about the music in the first instance and I am not always looking to save money. When I am out of a job, then maybe a different story. I just wish I could earn a living song writing and being generally effervescent about the music like I have been since 1973 etc. 

Social source share

Guest RobCroskell

Which is in Donny, folks

presumably this is a dig at my post.. if you'd read it properly you'd have seen we are  a monthly NIGHT..the chillout is every second month on a Sunday..  I see it as a complement to the chillout not as competition..

In fact the chillout boys attend our event as we do theirs..

The CHILLOUT is still for me, THE number 1 free event in the country and will remain so.. They've set the bench mark for everyone else to try and attain. 

Social source share

Been running soul nites niters wkenders for years if anybody thinks its for money ,give it a go and and the best of fookin british to you.Theres only one or two who are in it for the money and to give them their due,they are extracting every penny possible out of everybody they possibly can lol.When I ran middleton its was £4200 a night to put the key in the door,3 rooms 30 jocks 3 sets of dj equipment 8 door staff advertisein ins etc etc.These days I run stubbshaw in ahston with mick lyons .8 hours mini niters  and 10 hour niters 8 djs door staff club costs advertisein etc etc £6,some of you don't know how lucky you are.

Andy. I'm with you mate. Winsford nighter used to cost £2000 1 room 8 DJ,s. That didn't take into account going out to promote the nighter every Friday and Saturday sometimes to two or three venues a night driving God knows how many miles and paying into the venues. People think it's easy money.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If venues have quality DJs (e.g those who have their own distinct sets and not just carbon copies of the big hitters, or those just playing the same old same old) and has a cracking sound system I wouldn't blink at paying £15.

I can never get my head around how quality promoters and Djs make this stack up, some DJs playing sets that are in valued in tens of thousands and some grumble at a tenner. I'd rather pay £15 to hear quality rather than a fiver to be bored stiff with the usual tracks. 

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I am involved with an all-nighter and believe me we would like to charge more than what we charge on the door now, £10.  We have no wish to make a profit, it would be nice of course, but covering costs is the main stipulation and we barely do this.  Peope do not realise what it costs for equipment, DJ's, venue, door staff etc etc.  

£15 should be a minimum these days and £7 or £8 for a soul night.

try going to a normal club down town and see what you will pay.  Try going to a club that has the best DJ's and you would be paying far far more than the equivalent NS night/nighter.

The northern scen are happy to sit in dumps, flea bitten working mens clubs and venues that should be shut down all to save a few bob.  Happy to pay 1000's for the records but listen to them in second rate establishments.

I kinda like the foisty scruffy venues, a bit nostalgic I think. After all, most of the original nighters were scruffy dumps.

After saying, that I really enjoyed Bridlington, superb modern venue and no damp smelly seats.

Social source share

Financial analysis of modest venue costs

Rent for a small venue £150pm

Equipment 2 decent 2nd hand technic 1210 turntables £1200  (25% wear & tear per year) £300 /12 = £25pm

Ortofon Mk2 needles £150 (replacements every 3 months (20 hours max) = £50pm

Speakers, amp, mixer & cables £1500 (25% W&T per year) £375 /12 = £30pm

DJ costs 6 hours at £50 (some are more expensive and some are less expensive) £300pm

Printing fliers and travelling to promote event £50 per month

Before a punter pays a penny in door tax the event has cost a promoter £600 

If the event has to hire security the costs increase further........ 2 doormen all night and that's another £300

Modest venue requires at least 120 customers paying £5 door tax to break even without security costs.

Soultown Andy is correct about a few promoters making a bundle out of orgnising events, whilst the majority will struggle to break even. 

Before we complain about the door tax look at the numbers of paying customers in a venue and the overheads the promoter is paying upfront, if fewer people come through the door the promoter is out of pocket, if more attend the promoter will probably need that surplus for the extra costs on the anniversary event.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Any event with a door tax of £0 - £5 must be value for money, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good.

£10 - £12 value for money probably equates to a good night.

If I could pay £20+ and still consider it value for money - now that would be something.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

Any event with a door tax of £0 - £5 must be value for money, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good.

£10 - £12 value for money probably equates to a good night.

If I could pay £20+ and still consider it value for money - now that would be something.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Free CD, bar and buffet.

Social source share

Went down to KGH a couple of months ago.  Advance tickets were £7.50 but was charged £13 on the door!  To add insult to injury, the main room was closed on the night, despite being advertised.  I was told this was due to poor ticket sales.  I think they made up for the shortfall on the door price and the bar prices.

Social source share

Trouble is some of the top DJ's are about £200 for an hour spot (I'm led to believe) then like others have mentioned there's the venue costs, equipment costs etc so if you're paying £10 for an All Nighter then it's not bad value for money in my opinion. There's always the option of choosing a local venue which will be much cheaper, sometimes free entry and cheap bar prices but you can't expect to hear the same records that the top DJ's are going to be playing over at the £10 in All Nighter. Unless of course they're playing boots but I suppose that's up to you. 

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Would pay £20 for my favourite nighter,but this is the only place........said this a long time ago and stands true today.............don,t go to soul nites except the odd stewartby  2 mins away thats a fiver.......going out for us lot 4 in a motor  easily costs a oner per couple wherever....

Social source share

With that in mind then I suppose it's fair to say that at £10-£15 you are getting value for money when you take everything into account. I must admit Dave, I hadn't even thought about the other costs involved! I'll buy you a pint and a pack of crisps next time I'm at Rugby haha! That £200 figure was just something somebody said to me, so obviously as you say, there's only a few charging that.

Social source share

You might find two or three people charge that, the reality is that for most DJs, when you take into account travel and drinks, food, and sometimes overnight accommodation, never mind buying records, we make a loss on every booking we do !

Here's an example. I'm being paid £125.00 for a booking next year.  It will cost me:

£8 taxi to the station

£108 return train fare

£5 taxi to the venue

£5 taxi back to the station in the morning

£8 Taxi home from the station.

So before I've even bought a beer, I've spent £134. Then as I'm out of the house for nearly twenty hours, you have to add in food as well. Never mind buying records !

Now I have no doubts whatsoever that I will be paid at this event. However, in the past promoters have turned round when I've travelled and DJ'ed and said "Sorry, there's no money to pay you, I'll pay you later in the year."

That happened to me two years ago when I DJ'ed at the Grand Atlantic in Weston Supermare.

I'm still waiting for that promoter to pay me ! He's on here as well, so perhaps he might read this and feel that it's about time that "later in the year" arrived !

Dave, possibly a silly question but why not drive a car to the venue instead?  £60 petrol as opposed to £134 fares.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!