Photos /videos @ Northern Soul Events - Stop It

When I see someone with a camera I leave the dance floor or move to another part of the dance floor which is camera free.

I don't feel aggressive towards the camera, just shy of it; if everytime a camera appeared and those not wishing to be filmed walked off the floor and the venue made aware the intrusion was unwelcome they could have a word with those filming ..... and a 'only with permission of the individual' rule applied.

But if they filmed me they would understand where Peter Kay got his uncle knob head dance routine from...... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I'm there with the permission of the event organisers so if you have any problems with that then you should take it up with them. At the end of the day we are there as their guests. As I'm not a mind reader then I rely on your goodwill and good nature to point out if you object to being photographed. it's not hard and its not rocket science surely??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm there with the permission of the event organisers so if you have any problems with that then you should take it up with them. At the end of the day we are there as their guests. As I'm not a mind reader then I rely on your goodwill and good nature to point out if you object to being photographed. it's not hard and its not rocket science surely??

if I pay to get in to venue I am a paying punter not a guest

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest belly chest

as another "snapper" I have to echo what Martyn has said it only takes a moment to have a word and again we are mainly there at the invitation or with the permission of the organisers. ii have taken photos of soul events since the early 70,s when not many cameras where around many many people have requested that there image is not taken and all have been respected and to turn this around I would argue that anyone threatening or  actually smashing some ones equipment costing thousand's of pounds would most certainly not be welcome at any soul event as well as being guilty of criminal damage and assault plus running the risk of getting the broken pieces shoved up there arse ........Ian Bower     

Social source share

hasn't this subject cropped up before? I find it strange people get so emotional about it..unless they have something to hide :wicked: not saying any of you who've replied have which is why the smiley is there!!

but fair enough if you don't want it up there it shouldn't be ..BUT as with the post referring to the cameras filming wigan..look back at all those brilliant photos that have captured past venues and fashions and people,some no longer here..in the future we maybe thanking these annoying camera folk..and remember most maybe on line but are never printed so may well disappear with the facebook accounts of the photgraphers one day?

there are a few of me looking a bit worse for wear on that site which I wish were not there especially as its a way for me mum to see what im up to! :( ...but will never ruin my night

don't look at a lot though..once you seen an elderly couple in a 'soulfist' t shirt once ..most tend to look the same :)

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Even as paying punters, the event organisers reserve the right to ask us to leave if we misbehave and reserve the right not to sell us tickets in or ban us from their events. So I'm not so arrogant to assume I have any more privilege simply because I purchase a ticket. Hence I consider myself as their guest even if you dont. and irrespective of whether I take a camera along or not.

And for the record I always pay at the door or buy tickets like any other event goer :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a storm in a tea-cup too me. I haven't met a photographer on the scene who won't take a picture down if asked, the majority at venues appear to be quite happy being snapped, if your personal preference is not to have your picture taken, then why try to impose that view on everybody else, everybody enjoys the northern scene in different ways as it should be. As the photographers who've contributed to this thread have said, a quiet word and it's sorted. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

From the perspective of one who "snaps"

I always ask the permission of the event organiser. It's their event. I always appreciate it if organisers make it known to the event goers that I'm around.

If I do take a photo of someone who doesn't wish to be shot then I will delete on request and in front of them so they can be assured the image is gone. Similarly if I post an image and the subject objects, it's taken down straight away. No if's, buts or maybes.

I try to be as respectful to the event goers as possible, never intrude on the dancefloor, never shove a camera in someones face and never blind them in a flood of flash or burst of strobe. Not required. A simple shot with a short flash then leave it be for a while before going again. I really cant stand it when someone gets bathed in a pool of light for a few minutes with a camera phone while they are trying to dance.

I only ever post what I consider to be my absolute best shots in public. I have been to events and shot a load and not published anything. I set myself very high standards. Posting 100 images of the mundane does not do my reputation or integrity any good whatsoever and I need the trust of every event goer involved to be allowed to do my thing as discretely and respectfully as possible. I want to portray you and the event in the best possible light. I also employ my partner as my editor in chief and run each image past her to verify it's suitable to show, she has a good eye and is a good check point for me.

Unfortunately with the abundance of technology these days far too many people are able to take images and post them out there without much imagination, creativity or thought behind what they are trying to achieve and that saddens me. But I can only control what I do. And what I do is my passion, it's my hobby, it's totally non commercial and it's my way of giving something back to a music scene that I love so dearly.

If you see me around and your not comfortable, just a pleasant hello, a chat and a handshake is all it takes to put your mind at rest or to ask me not to take your image. I dont need threatening verbally or physically and there is no need to "smash" my kit.

For anyone remotely interested my work can be viewed here and of course your feedback is most welcome :-)

https://www.facebook.com/souledonsoul

www.souledonsoul.com

Lets be honest here Martyn, you're pictures are works of art compared to the normal quick snap. And you obviously behave impeccably, and show consideration to your subjects. If everyone behaved in such a way, I don't think this thread would be necessary.

Love your work by the way. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a storm in a tea-cup too me. I haven't met a photographer on the scene who won't take a picture down if asked, the majority at venues appear to be quite happy being snapped, if your personal preference is not to have your picture taken, then why try to impose that view on everybody else, everybody enjoys the northern scene in different ways as it should be. As the photographers who've contributed to this thread have said, a quiet word and it's sorted. 

Personally think to many photos (don't mind a few) being taken can ruin the atmosphere a bit  and move focus away from the music. Nice to get away from screens , digital things and just enjoy proper vinyl me thinks

Social source share

Personally think to many photos (don't mind a few) being taken can ruin the atmosphere a bit  and move focus away from the music. Nice to get away from screens , digital things and just enjoy proper vinyl me thinks

It really doesn't worry me, I've been photographed loads of times, hence multiple pics of me with gum at the corner of my mouth, or singing madly along to something. As long as the photographers are not 'walking amongst us' and in my experience they don't, I really don't care. Have had to explain things away a couple of times, but it's part of the fun :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I take photo's at soul events that i attend,always ask the subjects if i am in order taking the photo,if they don't want it fine i don't take it. Always inform them they will be put on soul-source and no where else and give many attendees the photo's of themselves when i next see them. I go to events to dance and in the rest periods take a few snaps and all in all most are keen to participate. Always look at photo's of other events every week to see who's gone,what it looks like etc. and I think this shows in the hits in photo's others do the same.If people act in a orderly manner that's all that is required. Alan.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I take photo's at soul events that i attend,always ask the subjects if i am in order taking the photo,if they don't want it fine i don't take it. Always inform them they will be put on soul-source and no where else and give many attendees the photo's of themselves when i next see them. I go to events to dance and in the rest periods take a few snaps and all in all most are keen to participate. Always look at photo's of other events every week to see who's gone,what it looks like etc. and I think this shows in the hits in photo's others do the same.If people act in a orderly manner that's all that is required. Alan.

Can vouch for everthing that Alan has said, is polite in asking for permission to photo and will present the recipient with a glossy professional  image of the event, plus a first rate gentleman and Cas Tiger fan to boot :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Edited by the Happy Hooker
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

How would you feel If a total stranger started taking pictures/video of you  ?

on a night out @ then posted them on you tube ?

HAT !  :wicked: O u t r a g e o u s 

Well just for the record .....................................................................................

Kin outraged - How anyone has the nerve to take pictures of me @ a soul

night - without my permission and then post them on "You- tube" - 

ASK !  - The answer would have been the same ...... N O  ! :dash2:

The reason I follow Northern soul music is personal to me - I do not want to be part

of your video/picture book  - However you get your kicks / thrills/get off on !

So - Now you know  - I will use the word disappointed at this stage while I meet

with the man that spoiled my evening -

Looking like its all going  Section 5  for my next visit ! - This ranks as low as people

that do the "Strictly come dancing routine " @ a Northern Soul Night 

Disappointed of Blackburn 

Ninja :boxing:

I thought Ninjas were supposed to be invisible.  Don't mind if the photographers are discrete and keep off the dance floor, but I've been to an event where they were an absolute pain in the arse, walking around in amongst the dancers.  Trouble is, I think the promoter or the venue management had hired them.  Clueless.

Social source share

Have absolutely no problem with Lord Shaw of Knottingley. Always asks and doesn't sulk if you say no. Unlike the arsehole at KGH Blackburn the other week who( while prostrate on the floor with his camera) asked me to dance somewhere else because he was videoing THAT BIRD over there. Told him it was called a DANCEFLOOR for a good reason. At which he got up and moved and got in someone else's way!! Far too much of that sh*t every week. Who looks at all these photos- and why FFS?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally I've always taken the view that to take a photo of someone without their permission is bad manners. I don't mean a landscape type shot. I'm referring to a direct shot. This isn't confined to social events. I've only taken a camera out with me on a night out once in my life. That was the second last night At Wigan when Tommy Hunt was on and I felt uneasy about that. Ended up taking shots mainly of TH on stage and one of my mates who was dancing on the stage behind him and then quickly used up the film just taking random shots of the dance floor.  Most of which were pretty crap.

Now of course it's a different ballgame as everyone is a documenter and would be Shane Meadows. I suppose all anyone can do is always try and look their best all of the time and (if like me you're not particularly photogenic) console yourself that maybe no one will realise its you anyway.

Social source share

I'm fine with people taking photos as I fooking love photo bombing  :thumbup:

Perfect example with Eddies Wife Emma taking a serious snap whilst Eddie was djn at Go Go the other week  :rofl:

post-4635-0-76611500-1413488760_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Just wait till "Northern Soul", the movie hits the cinemas from today on nationwide,then you will quite possibly  see an influx of vast amounts of "Tourists",fresh from the learn to dance northern style studios asking their mates to take a snap of them"Doing it", and while they are having a rest snapping away like mad themselves to obtain a mass of photo albums worth of piccy's.I myself am going to watch the movie on saturday at the showcase here in pboro as it looks not bad but I still think doom and gloom will come of it ,a modern day version of "footsie yeh yeh yeh,cameras in and its top of the pops kick in the b*llocks the scene got mid seventies.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Just wait till "Northern Soul", the movie hits the cinemas from today on nationwide,then you will quite possibly see an influx of vast amounts of "Tourists",fresh from the learn to dance northern style studios asking their mates to take a snap of them"Doing it", and while they are having a rest snapping away like mad themselves to obtain a mass of photo albums worth of piccy's.I myself am going to watch the movie on saturday at the showcase here in pboro as it looks not bad but I still think doom and gloom will come of it ,a modern day version of "footsie yeh yeh yeh,cameras in and its top of the pops kick in the b*llocks the scene got mid seventies.

The tourists are already here. I hope they do come as to be honest they'll gravitate towards the side of the scene that is set up to accommodate them. Hopefully, like with the this England influx and the mod revival following that, some will graduate to the real scene.

On topic, can't see why some want their pics videos of them dancing posted all over the shop.

Edited by Byrney
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

This is a bit of a difficult one for me personally due to the type of images I like to present, those being of the individual lost in that moment, that really captures and portrays the essence of where we all go to when that tune hit's our ears and the only thing we can think about is hitting the floor and losing ourselves in a personal moment. As soon as I ask permission, or indeed if anyone see's a camera pointed at them they will either pose or move away. In either case I have failed personally because I have clearly imposed on their moment and it's gone both for them and for me. At the end of the day people go to events to dance, not to be photographed and as I have said before on numerous occasions that is always respected

Thankfully though these days most event goers know me or of me and tend to trust me to do a good job which helps to negate the voyeuristic guilt complex I have about not asking direct permission. I can count on one hand the number of times where I've  had problems and in most cases the individuals were invariably caught in a time and a place they shouldn't be or with someone they shouldn't have been with. No hassle for me, the images just get taken down and they were with no fuss or question from me.

KGH Blackbrun is a funny one though as twice there I had two individuals really lose it with me so it's an event I dont take in anymore. One individual effed and jeffed at me even though I wasn't taking any photos at the time, he just saw my camera and went off on one. The second was some ex pro footballer who wanted to take me to court for violating his image rights!! it must be something they put in the drinks at that place ;-)

And I'd wager a fiver that I can even make Toad and Ninja look good given the opportunity :-)

Edited by MartynJJ
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

This is a bit of a difficult one for me personally due to the type of images I like to present, those being of the individual lost in that moment, that really captures and portrays the essence of where we all go to when that tune hit's our ears and the only thing we can think about is hitting the floor and losing ourselves in a personal moment. As soon as I ask permission, or indeed if anyone see's a camera pointed at them they will either pose or move away. In either case I have failed personally because I have clearly imposed on their moment and it's gone both for them and for me. At the end of the day people go to events to dance, not to be photographed and as I have said before on numerous occasions that is always respected

Thankfully though these days most event goers know me or of me and tend to trust me to do a good job which helps to negate the voyeuristic guilt complex I have about not asking direct permission. I can count on one hand the number of times where I've  had problems and in most cases the individuals were invariably caught in a time and a place they shouldn't be or with someone they shouldn't have been with. No hassle for me, the images just get taken down and they were with no fuss or question from me.

KGH Blackbrun is a funny one though as twice there I had two individuals really lose it with me so it's an event I dont take in anymore. One individual effed and jeffed at me even though I wasn't taking any photos at the time, he just saw my camera and went off on one. The second was some ex pro footballer who wanted to take me to court for violating his image rights!! it must be something they put in the drinks at that place ;-)

And I'd wager a fiver that I can even make Toad and Ninja look good given the opportunity :-)

I've seen a lot of your photos, don't think I've actually been snapped by you, so no personal investment in saying this, they really are good. There's one that Coops took, that I really like as do most of my friends, I'm clearly a million miles away, and didn't know it was being taken, one of my relatives however said it made me look like a crackhead, and that there were much nicer ones I could have chosen as a profile pic, but she's not on the northern scene, and bakes cakes for a living, she'd never get it. To me the images just show moments in time that in future days, I'll enjoy looking back on, so personally I'm grateful to the snappers  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

"Its not hard and its not rocket science surely " bit arrogant there Martyn  . Why should we put ourselves out so you can pursue your hobby ? I don't want to be photographed whilst out and certainly don't want to engage with the photographer .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"Its not hard and its not rocket science surely " bit arrogant there Martyn  . Why should we put ourselves out so you can pursue your hobby ? I don't want to be photographed whilst out and certainly don't want to engage with the photographer .

It wasn't meant to come across that way and apologies if that's the way it seemed. :(

But I fail to understand why anyone wouldn't want to have a quick chat or a polite word if something was bothering them. I go to events like everyone else to enjoy the vibrancy of the scene, enjoy great music and share in the overall experience with like minded people.

I'm not asking anyone to put themselves out for my benefit and am not so far up my own arse to ever expect anyone to do so (though I can get a fair way up there when I need to :wink: ).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Social source share

Cheers Martyn, - You appear to be a polite individual ,no fuss - no drama

Not sure about the wadger - I would rather remain anonymous.....

"Perfection is attained in small degrees - It requires the hands of time ! 

Take care & please be careful out on the floor with your camera 

Ninja 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!