The Film - Reviews

Drewtg

Looks like Blackpool Gazette is first out of the starting blocks, struggling hack claiming people "danced until dawn" at the Highland rooms!

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what-s-on/music-dance/film-back-at-spiritual-home-1-6899566

Essex Chronicle does a bit better.

https://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Film-review-Northern-Soul/story-23206313-detail/story.html

Please guys, if you post your own review, try to keep it positive. It's a film, not a documentary, don't break my heart. For some reason I want it to be OK, that'll do me.

I find myself with an emotional investment in this bloody thing for some unknown reason. I can't see the film until the dvd arrives from Amazon, so be gentle.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Time out review (attached)

.....  Im no expert,  it seems to be written in a northern dialect, but not necessarily the 'right' one?

At least it got one more star than the Ninja Turtles!! But not the five stars this guy gives Monsters Inc.

Social source share

On a purely personal note, I'm out of the country this weekend, DJing in Paris, so obviously can't get to see the film at the cinema.

What I don't want to find when I get back are lot's of reviews that give the whole plot / story away,

I don't want people to not review it though, or make comments, I just don't want to read them until I've seen it myself. So if you are going to review the film in a thread, please make it clear what you are doing in the thread title. Or better still, keep them on this thread, and I won't look again.

Thanks

• Helpful 3
Social source share

On a purely personal note, I'm out of the country this weekend, DJing in Paris, so obviously can't get to see the film at the cinema.

What I don't want to find when I get back are lot's of reviews that give the whole plot / story away,

I don't want people to not review it though, or make comments, I just don't want to read them until I've seen it myself. So if you are going to review the film in a thread, please make it clear what you are doing in the thread title. Or better still, keep them on this thread, and I won't look again.

Thanks

good point

have just posted on other current thread 

eg that for 'before' this one for 'after'

here are...

not a review really but I'd say worth a shout as its another interesting interview 

https://www.vice.com/read/northern-soul-film-293

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Looks like Blackpool Gazette is first out of the starting blocks, struggling hack claiming people "danced until dawn" at the Highland rooms!

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what-s-on/music-dance/film-back-at-spiritual-home-1-6899566

Essex Chronicle does a bit better.

https://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Film-review-Northern-Soul/story-23206313-detail/story.html

Please guys, if you post your own review, try to keep it positive. It's a film, not a documentary, don't break my heart. For some reason I want it to be OK, that'll do me.

I find myself with an emotional investment in this bloody thing for some unknown reason. I can't see the film until the dvd arrives from Amazon, so be gentle.

NOWT TO DO WITH FILM.............BUT HIGHLAND ROOM FINISHED @ 2am!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All these posts about what the critic's think. It's our opinions that matter to us on here not someone who doesn't understand what it's all about and have no real interest in the film , they're only reviewing it because they are been payed to do so.

Steve

Yes Steve, that's the idea. For once we can slag them off rather than arguing with each other :) :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At least it got one more star than the Ninja Turtles!! But not the five stars this guy gives Monsters Inc.

If he feels that a Hollywood film that's basically saying to kids don't worry if a thing comes into your bedroom from another dimension it's all fine, is worthy of any merit then you can discount his view, I would suggest. 

Going to see film next week. Personally, I can only critique it a piece of film making as it has nothing to do with my yoof, which is almost a unique perspective on this forum. 

Social source share

I'm sorry to say that I agree with his review. Don't forget that he isn't one of us, and therefore has a much clearer and open mind on the film. I am going to see the film again because I couldn't hear the dialogue at Blackburn, but I found the whole plot very hard to understand. 

If I had no past interest in this music, I certainly wouldn't be beating a way to the next allnighter wanting to emulate the characters in this film. I was hoping for more humour and likeable characters. More like The Commitments.

Disappointed of Barnoldswick.

The Commitments?! 

Brilliant...

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Brilliant film by an English man, very different from the book.

And very different to the theme of this thread, which is about Northern Soul reviews.

Quinvy knows his stuff and I hold him in high esteem. That said it makes me smile that we could f*ck up a cup of coffee when we stroke things to death like this...

The passion expressed in the film by the characters, the music, the authenticity... How about a little of that?!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!