The Film - Reviews

Drewtg

soul source test

He is probably the most influential film critic in the country, so everybody involved in the making of the film must be over the moon about a review like that on national radio.

He is the best and it is the best film review show by a country mile, I listen every week, usually the podcast because of all the extras.  He doesn't give praise out lightly either.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Just been to see it in Shrewsbury and it's very good - much better than 'Soulboy'.

The criticism I would have is that, like the book, there is a little too much emphasis on the drugs side of the scene. The dance scenes are really good and authentic looking which Elaine has obviously worked hard on.

Definitely worth seeing.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I thought it was a really good film, a young lad wants to better himself, get better records, be a better DJ. Perfectly credible, lots of humour and just a really enjoyable well made film.

Well done ten out of ten!  :thumbsup:

how long does the film run from start to finnish ????

Social source share

I saw it at the quad in Derby last night ,and have to say i totally enjoyed it.  A Hollywood blockbuster it wasnt,  but on the budget the film had,  it did a superb job of re creating the social deprevassion of the early 70's northern England.   Although i saw the trailler previously i went with an open mind.  Maybe a bit over violent at times, but there was a story line, and it wasnt a cheesy documentry.

Funniest thing for me was in the cafe area after the film, they put on a northern soul mobile disco lol.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest SoulBot

As an independent, low-budget film, it was in my opinion very enjoyable.  The hype and delays might have left some wondering was it worth the wait? Forget about the 10 years of production and just enjoy it for what it is. 

Social source share

Saw it at the Cornerhouse in Manchester which was sold out.

The review essentially splits into two halfs.

Maybe nitpicking but that's what you do when a film attempts to portray a subject matter that the reviewer has a first hand experience of.

This was achieved in a very positive manner because that sense of excitement about the scene was definitely captured. It matters not if tracks were played out of any real timeline, the blending of the selected tracks with the plot worked really well. The drug taking was not overdone in my opinion though the transition from pills to jacking up seemed a little hasty and perhaps could have been avoided.

I enjoyed it, would recommend people to go and see it and hats off to everybody who made it happen. I went with somebody who has absolutely no experience of the soul scene from any era, other than knowing that the Snake is a northern track! And they enjoyed it so it works from that perspective too.

And finally it received a decent round of applause from the crowd so that tells you something.

Nice review that pal.  :thumbsup:

Not a nit pick, well kind of a nit pick but they only thing I found odd about the film was the use of the word "soz" in the early opening sequence. If you had said soz to me in nineteen seventy something, I wouldn't have known what you were on about.

I smiled when I read your comment that the drug taking was not over done. I say this as I thought the drug scenes were ubiquitous and omnipresent. Though again and as you say mate, we know the reality can be not too dissimilar perhaps on occasion. All about going out and making sure you're gonna have a banging good time!

I do think a certain amount of slack is admissible and licence granted with regard to exactly what was was played and when etc. I don't doubt I'd experience similar situations when I win the Euromillions and make a film about the 100 Club, starring Johnny Depp as 'Simsy'  :lol: 'Not coming to a cinema near you'..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice review that pal.  :thumbsup:

Not a nit pick, well kind of a nit pick but they only thing I found odd about the film was the use of the word "soz" in the early opening sequence. If you had said soz to me in nineteen seventy something, I wouldn't have known what you were on about.

I smiled when I read your comment that the drug taking was not over done. I say this as I thought the drug scenes were ubiquitous and omnipresent. Though again and as you say mate, we know the reality can be not too dissimilar perhaps on occasion. All about going out and making sure you're gonna have a banging good time!

I do think a certain amount of slack is admissible and licence granted with regard to exactly what was was played and when etc. I don't doubt I'd experience similar situations when I win the Euromillions and make a film about the 100 Club, starring Johnny Depp as 'Simsy'  :lol: 'Not coming to a cinema near you'..

Might have been Sooty's towering influence that warranted the inclusion of the word 'soz'. 

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Watched film at Blackpool Opera House last night. Enjoyed it, thought they captured the era pretty good. Thought all the sets were good like the record shop and youth club scenes. My only gripe was the 'dark side' of the movie ie the drug side. The crowd at the show I was at applauded at the end so it seemed to go down well. Well done to everybody involved in the production.

Social source share

Might have been Sooty's towering influence that warranted the inclusion of the word 'soz'. 

Ah right, so let me get this straight, first use of the word was by Sooty on this label?

Sooty2011.png

Thought soz was more of a contemporary kids text speak type thing  :g:

Social source share

Ah right, so let me get this straight, first use of the word was by Sooty on this label?

Sooty2011.png

Thought soz was more of a contemporary kids text speak type thing  :g:

As far back as I can remember the use of Soz was used in my neck of the woods (East Mids). We used to use at school as a sarcastic way of saying sorry (late 70s)

Social source share

Soz to nit pick on your nit picking mate but was in common use up North at the time…… deffo!

Well I never, I thought it were the reserve of towie tarts alone. Soft southern nancy's on t'northern scene syndrome again  :lol:

Well that's me all out of nit pickings about this excellent film then.  :)

Mr Simsy advises Amazon despatch today, bangers mash dinner a re-watch with soul pals Tuesday. :D

Social source share

Soft southern nancy's on t'northern scene syndrome again  :lol:

Yep deffo a north sarf divide thing I'd say.

I did make mention of the soz unusualness during general exiting chats with well know Southern characters Colin Innocenti and Roger Stewart and neither of them seemed aware - unless they were just being 'kind'  :lol:

Oh to be a Midlander/Northerner ..

article-0-16388522000005DC-505_634x709.j

ey-up-be-a-northerner.png

Social source share

Went to see it last night in Letchworth. Firstly they had a showing Fri/Sat/Sun night, they all sold out in double quick time and so they added two daytime showings that also sold out. Great venue too.

As for the film, I largely enjoyed it. The directing and cinematography were excellent, and the acting very good on the whole, though Lisa Stansfield showed she's a better singer than actress. Although the film has a Northern soul backdrop, it's just as much about the journey of the main protaganist and his mottley friends. Much darker than I was expecting, with violence and drug taking aplenty. Having said that it also has plenty of lighter moments too. Thought the youth clubs scenes were top notch. Many have said that the huge emphasise on the drugs wasn't a true reflection of the scene, and whilst that is true, the film was using this as a vehicle for the story, it wasn't meant to be a documentary. The music was superb as you would expect, and it managed to capture some of the pivotal moments that soulies go through - the first record - the youth club - first purchases - finiding a monster 45 etc.

7.5/10 for me and will certainly inspire a some of the younger general public to dip their toes in the soul scene.

Edited by phillyDaveG
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Saw it last night & it's very good and worth seeing,

has previously mentioned by others it's pretty "dark" in parts and I thought some of the Nutters

looked very familiar!

The 2 male lead actors I thought were superb and did a very good job in fact all the young actors/dancers were spot on and certainly gave me a few spine tingling moments with them on the dance floor!

9/10 from me

Triode

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thats good to read PhillyDaveG, I approached the Broadway way back asking if I could hire a screen to show it and God bless them they ran with it and put on all those showings off their own back and to read its sold out every time makes me very happy. I know Elaine will be happy to read the local support shown, given she was one of ours so to speak for a while. We are there en masse tonight for my birthday and the buzz is superb. Shall post my thoughts after Ive seen it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm really surprised they are doing a simultaneous cinema and video release - once people get their copies on monday, it'll be up on the pirate bay within hours, they surely should have given it a month?

I'm not sure they knew how huge it would become Pete as it was originally just a few select cinemas showing it before us lot got on the case. 

Social source share

Northern Soul the Film a review : Before I stroke the key boards I am reminded of the emotive pie fight “SoulBoy” caused and I do not wish to be the recipient of a Soulie "fatwa" so I shall proceed with caution …………
I managed to get tickets today, Friday’s Matinee in Sheffield’s The Showroom, a cinema that shows a lot of independent films, I walked towards the cinema and noticed that the poster for Northern Soul was not displayed outside, bad start I thought but I spoke to both the Box Office and the Manager and they told me that they hadn’t seen such a response for a film for a very long time so this was encouraging, I took my seat and noticed the cinema was not exactly full but it was a Friday Afternoon, the audience was middle aged couples and about thirty youngsters who I presumed as students?
OK onto the film, deep breath and I’ll do the negative first, lighting, or should I say lack of lighting, the film is dark. I am in little doubt that this was intentionally done to give it a bit of grit and earthiness which I totally get and this works excellently in films that are edgy and dark but in Northern Soul it kinda gets lost and becomes a bit unnecessarily and becomes a distraction and to be honest there are often moments where cast members are lost to an over use of filtering.
Now depending on which description you read of this film you are left to ponder whether this is a “film about the Northern Soul Scene with a story line” or a “Story line with a Northern Soul backdrop” It came across to me as a story of the drugs scene within the Northern Soul Scene and I was left with a furrowed brow to see the intravenous usage given the spot light which puzzled me as the film struggled a bit to decide what direction the story was going and flattened off before sprinting off to tie everything up which was a little lazy.
Ok that is the negative, now the positive.
I’ll start with the casting, what a triumph! Seriously, who would have thought the line up would, could and did deliver such convincing characters, the scrip writing was faultless with lots of layers, humour and clever dialogue of which I enjoyed immensely.
Our two young main players work excellently together with a real chemistry, kudos to the director, the supporting cast create the seventies and the costume and design is joyful and you immerse yourself into the period effortlessly, the attention to detail is phenomenal!
Credibility is in abundance whilst watching the dancers and you do not get any whiff of cheese, the music needs no comment from me but the selection and sound flows like a river, sounds easy but each track is appropriate and perfectly balanced and placed like an engineering artist, again this gives the film an oomph factor that I believe will be appreciated by any audience, you get a real feeling that the extras gave their souls and we must remember that they are youngsters recreating a phenomena that is Northernsoul and they smash it!
Worthy of note is the dynamics between each of the characters, I felt that the story line was a bit poor but it was delivered powerfully and with great skill, I loved the edginess of the drug dealing Southerner who beguiles in a true anti hero way, you feel as if you know all of the characters and I can empathise with all.
In summery I enjoyed the film, it is a flawed diamond but a diamond none the less, would I recommend the film YES YES YES YES YES
Get to the cinema, this is the one to watch.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!