The Film - Reviews

Drewtg

Guest SteveBev

Saw it Saturday afternoon in Cambridge and liked it. Saw it as a film about a kid growing up in 74 in a grim town, finding a music he liked and using that as a potential escape route from the world he lived in. Didn't see it as a documentary about NS and how it became what it was or is today. Think this is Northern Souls equivalent to This Is England. Kid hates where he is, tormented at school, finds escapism in a music scene, goes through the stages of that i.e. getting the clothes, learning the dances, buying the records, attending the venues then descending into the seedy side most music scenes have. As regards the drugs stuff, I've seen worse exploitation of it in other films, knew it existed when I was into the scene in the late 70's/early 80's but it didn't shock me what they showed. It was part of what went on so had to be shown. Quadrophenia showed reference to pills, so it had to be included in for authenticity, didn't think it was highlighted and took over the story. Yes it was the main source of the problems but didn't see the film become too focused on it. Just my opinion.

Parts of the film did bring back great memories though, like the snake belt, unpicking the phone lock to make calls, Blues & Soul magazine, searching for records. All made me smile. Add to that the great soundtrack and all in I think a top film. Just a shame I couldn't have gone onto a venue after as would have been a top day but DVD is on order. :)

Oh, did anybody notice the GoPro camera on the front of the car John was in when it was being chased? Lol! Wonder if it'll be edited out when my DVD arrives :g:

Edited by SteveBev
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Just wondering.

From what I can gather from what's been said on here a lot of the dance scenes shot have been cut?

So with the film been a success (I assuming with it showing in 100+ cinemas that would class as a success) would it be possible to write a story line that is less dark & more dance/records/travelling/friendship based story & utilize all that footage & explore parts of the scene not focussed on in the film...........Northern Soul II....the happy days :D

I have no knowledge of if this would be possible or even if all concerned would want to??

Just a thought?

Cheers

Martyn

In the film he's just doing his O levels, so I assume he's 16? Seven years later he's 23, Wigan has closed and he's been DJing there at the tail end discovering some new sounds. After Wigan he starts his own club in a nightclub in the midlands...

That's someone's next project surely? I was chatting to Daz Morris on Facebook earlier and we both said it must be now time for an 80s film? :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Just thought I would start a separate thread where we could argue about the finer points that were both spot on, and or not as we remembered them in the Norther Soul film.

This is not meant to be a criticism in any way. In fact the more I think about trying to present an historical time capsule on film, the more I am impressed by how well Elaine managed it.

Here's a few things that got me thinking: Did anyone use the expression "cheers" as a thank you in the seventies? I thought that was a current trend myself?

Did we really use the "F" word so much back then? or did I live a sheltered life? I can recall that when I first left school I worked in a factory that made overalls. [mainly ladies and mainly for the large catalogue industry. Remember everyone bought their cloths from a catalogue in those days and paid weekly.] Anyway 95% of the workforce was female and in those days ladies didn't swear, so I always remember lots of expressions like: blumming eck, flippin' eck etc. A few years later I got a job working in an all male environment, and the difference in language actually shocked me. Mind you, by the end of the first week I was swearing like a f***ing trooper.  :lol:

The two main things that made me think.

1. Was there really so many guys with tattoos in the 70's? I didn't know anyone who had tatts back then.

2. I can't remember anyone wearing earrings back then. In fact if you had gone out round our way wearing one, you would have been lucky to survive the night as you would have been perceived as a girl, or a queer.

Like I said, not a criticism in any shape or form. Please feel free to reminisce. :thumbsup: 

Social source share

First job on leaving school and waiting to go into RAF was in a small factory. I was seventeen at the time. Production was mainly men, assembly was women. Believe me I came out of the assembly room blushing from head to toe on more than one occasion! Favourite thing was to try and de-bag young lads and the innuendo was mind blowing..

Tattoos weren't as prevalent as today but they were certainly around at the time. Lots of my friends in the forces had them, plenty of black fists, record labels and pharmaceutical companies on display at WC from '73 on.

I had an ear ring - many of my friends had them. Seem to remember them being pretty common in 1974. Only thing was to have the left ear pierced. Right ear intimated you were gay, or so we believed at the time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just thought I would start a separate thread where we could argue about the finer points that were both spot on, and or not as we remembered them in the Norther Soul film.

This is not meant to be a criticism in any way. In fact the more I think about trying to present an historical time capsule on film, the more I am impressed by how well Elaine managed it.

Here's a few things that got me thinking: Did anyone use the expression "cheers" as a thank you in the seventies? I thought that was a current trend myself?

Did we really use the "F" word so much back then? or did I live a sheltered life? I can recall that when I first left school I worked in a factory that made overalls. [mainly ladies and mainly for the large catalogue industry. Remember everyone bought their cloths from a catalogue in those days and paid weekly.] Anyway 95% of the workforce was female and in those days ladies didn't swear, so I always remember lots of expressions like: blumming eck, flippin' eck etc. A few years later I got a job working in an all male environment, and the difference in language actually shocked me. Mind you, by the end of the first week I was swearing like a f***ing trooper.  :lol:

1. Was there really so many guys with tattoos in the 70's? I didn't know anyone who had tatts back then.

2. I can't remember anyone wearing earrings back then. In fact if you had gone out round our way wearing one, you would have been lucky to survive the night as you would have been perceived as a girl, or a queer.

Like I said, not a criticism in any shape or form. Please feel free to reminisce. :thumbsup:

Don't know how old you are Phil, I'm 54, in answer to some of your points:

yes we did swear that much, I left school and worked in a factory (all men) and the language shocked me even if we all swore already.

Don't remember really using the expression cheers until emails came in

People did have tattoos but they were usually the old type like swallows etc, I got my first at 18

I had my ear pierced when I was 16 and had 5 earings when Wigan closed, they were de rigeur round here.

Social source share

Guest lofthope

The 3 day weekend Box Office figures reported in Screen Daily today (UK Film Trade Publication) show that Northern Soul broke the all time record for a film with under 100 cinemas on its opening weekend. Although that Turtle film and other Hollywood hype with all of the publicity and shiny multiplexes (over 300 theatres per film) did better, basically this was the film of the weekend according to Screen. 10th biggest film this weekend and not all cinemas showing it had even reported their figures yet.

Congratulations Elaine and everyone involved.

Social source share

I'm 59 mate.

But starting to look like I really did live a sheltered life up here in the sticks. I did have a very strict upbringing, my dad was Polish, and I was lucky in that some of my mates with Polish parents had to go to a Polish school on a Sunday after church. They had to learn how to speak, read and write the language. Whereas me and my sister refused to do it.

My mum was English so it was a bit like the movie "East is East" in our house, with my dad trying to get me and my sister to go to church and obey his strict regime. Meanwhile my sister who was the wild and rebellious teenager was wearing mini skirts and going out to nightclubs at 13 years old. Mum would try and stick up for her and there were always massive rows going on every weekend.

I hated all the agro and the atmosphere which you could cut like a knife. 

Social source share

Without giving too much away and for what its worth I loved it, thought it was an excellent gritty Brit film that covered all the aspects of the scene well and many of the characters were composites of many we have all known over the years. I know the drug side has been an issue for some however  Elaine has already stated elsewhere this is her experiences and memories of the scene and for me much rang true. Overall as an experience the film hit all the right spots. This was a Scorsese Goodfellas compared to the High School Musical that was Soul Boy. Polar opposites. Many funny moments, many many areas that rang oh so true, and I think that is true for everyone, and yes ending was abrupt but overall its a triumph for Elaine. ( I loved the fact that Ray H is so obviously based on Mr Sixties Newie Guy Hennigan!)  Just not letting my kids watch it yet, might be too many questions being asked!!!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I guess all these things depend on where you were, who you hung about with and what sticks in your memory.

I moved down South to Southampton to go to work in 1971 which was where I first heard "Cheers" for "Thanks". Never heard it before then.

The 'F' word was very common when groups of lads were together but rarely used in the company of girls.

Tatts were about but not as prevalent as today. Don't recall anyone looking like a 'comic book' like the drug dealer in the film. Only real hard cases would have had them on their necks or faces.

The film, of course, is really a collection of a lot of memories jumbled together so maybe not factual for one particular year but a conglomeration. In fact, it's difficult to determine the timeframe of the film - is it 1974 or is it the 70s in general? The chronology of the records is very jumbled  but is, of course, a good representation of Northern Soul. Even the nod to John Anderson and Soul Bowl is slightly flawed as for most of 1974 it was 'Groove City'. Certainly true that you had to phone up to get the best records and you were very lucky if you got through early enough.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

( I loved the fact that Ray H is so obviously based on Mr Sixties Newie Guy Hennigan!)  

Yes, such a cool Character - and I ain't biased as I've never actually spoken to the man himself.

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

You must have had a sheltered life Phil, coming from a pit town council estate, we swore a lot at school and even more after starting work at the pit aged 16, the girls/women didn't swear that much though and you restricted your language round them.

Tattoos - loads of my mates had them, starting from around the age of 15. I wanted to but wimped out (been glad I did ever since)

Ear piercing definitely as well, had mine done at 16/17 (left ear only)

I reckon the use of "cheers" is a more recent thing though

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i really think Elaine has nailed it...the detail was as precise as it's ever gonna get when you've spent every god given hour researching for countless years. i'd like to make a pertinent observation of our characteristics as people from different counties with different dialects...and it's a behavioral one. i went, last night ( 19/10/14 ) to watch the film again, this time at the wonderful art deco majestic cinema in Bridgnorth. wanted to catch the atmosphere prior to the dvd release, as only cinema can really deliver on that. i would estimate between 100-130 people turned up to watch it, on what was it's third showing over the weekened. there were certain elements, who at various times during the screening were boisterous and noisy but on the whole enjoying it and there was a warm round of applause at the finish, though somewhat abbreviated...different strokes?...having attended the premier at Blackburn some 3 weeks ago now, i reflected on the fact that, it's a film about northern folk and northern life..in a northern town. i have to say that there was a rapturous applause for Elaine when she introduced the film and throughout, the screening was observed with virtual stony silence apart from moments that were intended to encourage laughter or shock. upon conclusion, the film received a standing ovation, that's a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye stuff as far as i'm concerned personally...something i have not seccumbed to since the funk brothers documentary. it therefore.would be interesting to hear what people's reactions where across the u.k., not just their views of the film's credibility afterwards. 

Social source share

also a lot of repeats on the sound track

I thought the fact that the guy kept playing 'Frankie Valli - The Night' throughout the film was to show that he was (to quote)...."A sh*t D.J"....and that he hadn't moved on compared to his mate who was taking it very seriously (achieving his goal of saving enough to go to America)

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I was waiting for a reaction from the audience last night. The film was watched in silence throughout, except as you say Rob, at those moments where they were supposed to laugh or gasp. I hate it when people make a ruckus during a film.

At the end there was no round of applause, though I did think about trying to creat one. People just got up and filed out in an orderly fashion.

Social source share

I heard last night that there are already pirate ' bootleg' copies of the new Northern Soul movie about .... quite an amusing little irony somewhere there, i think, considering the period in time this movie is about ?!?  Comments, please !!

Confirming what we already know that bootlegs are shameful, unethical and criminal. They deprive artists of their dues not to mention other people involved in the production. In the USA, piracy is a Federal offence and handled by the FBI - in Britain it is largely ignored by the authorities to the detriment of the music industry. Don't be a cheapskate - go out and buy the CD and the DVD.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

really sad to see this film flooding the internet download sites wish the would just buy the film. £9 on Amazon cheap skates feel sorry for all the people involved with the film 

Said this would happen today, I purposely bought it this morning to stop any temptation of me downloading it for free tonight, which I normally would have done with any other film or tv show, I still think they have shot themselves in the foot with the straight to DVD release, after fridays review on Radio 5 and the fantastic audience figures, I'm sure they could have done another week or fortnight at the cinema, but who was to know.

Current figures on Pirate Bay are

54 people seeding (thats people who have the full film and are sharing it with others)

401 leechers (people receiving the film from other users who have the complete thing)

all this comes from one original copy being uploaded at 17:57 today, that's 400 downloads in less than 90 minutes, will be over 1000 tomorrow by the looks of it.

Social source share

Confirming what we already know that bootlegs are shameful, unethical and criminal. They deprive artists of their dues not to mention other people involved in the production. In the USA, piracy is a Federal offence and handled by the FBI - in Britain it is largely ignored by the authorities to the detriment of the music industry. Don't be a cheapskate - go out and buy the CD and the DVD.

There's not much they can do online except block the torrent sites, and thats exactly what all the main ISP's have done, if you are on Sky or BT etc try typing in Pirate bay and you will get a message saying it is blocked.  However, type in the same with the word Proxy added and you'll find a dozen or more back ways in.

Social source share

Yes, such a cool Character - and I ain't biased as I've never actually spoken to the man himself.

Yeah it was deffo Guy ( a proper good bloke) with a hint of Rob Marriot I thought ;)

Social source share

it is so bloody shameful...people who simply have no conscience...dosn't matter what sort of product though anyway.....the internet was deemed a wonder, that also is demonized because of the dark corners people create with it...the good the bad and the truly ugly...perhaps our film industry had an agenda even?.....perhaps they didn't want it to succeed, because like the media, they've never understood what it's all about, so they want to stick the knife in wherever they can...a bunch of childish tossers minus genuine grey matter...i know i'm summizing but somebody has to be held to account for an act of gross betrayal of the principle that a film should be allowed it's due on the big screen...EXACTLY WHERE IT'S MEANT TO BE......they obviously thought it wouldn't do much at the box office, and it's shut those miserable f***in b******s up so the next spoiler is to do exactly what they've done...and on top of that, a multi million bunch of freebie lovers with tight wallets are robbing the people responsible for all the hard work of their dues. :dash2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Said this would happen today, I purposely bought it this morning to stop any temptation of me downloading it for free tonight, which I normally would have done with any other film or tv show, I still think they have shot themselves in the foot with the straight to DVD release, after fridays review on Radio 5 and the fantastic audience figures, I'm sure they could have done another week or fortnight at the cinema, but who was to know.

54 people seeding (thats people who have the full film and are sharing it with others)

401 leechers (people receiving the film from other users who have the complete thing)

all this comes from one original copy being uploaded at 17:57 today, that's 400 downloads in less than 90 minutes, will be over 1000 tomorrow by the looks of it.

they have done well to keep the sound track off the download site but with the film going well im sure it wont be long but 5 weeks and not seen it on the lists at work, would like to off seen the interview and memorabilia searling still had.not into compilation cds but only way to see the interviews 

Social source share

Not seen film yet but...

From memory most tat's were home-made (mainly prison/borstal) and the odd traditional swallow as has been said. Definitely can't remember any professional ones other than the forces types.

"Cheers (big ears)" was pretty common at my school, but being Lancashire it was more likely a straight "Ta".

Earring, left ear only, and in 73/4 usually only one.

I lived on a large housing estate and it was virtually compulsary to swear from the age of about ten, just to show that you were fuckin' ard. C**t though, was reserved for special occasions and would quite often precede a fight. Only when I moved to London did I hear it used as a term of endearment.

Can't wait to see the bloody thing :-)

Social source share

Yeah it was deffo Guy ( a proper good bloke) with a hint of Rob Marriot I thought ;)

Hence 'touching on all eras' mate.

Before the film, I stated that I'd watched some of the actors dancing, 'feeling the music', and that it had made me wince slightly because I knew they were only acting...I didn't exactly know what to expect from the film - but what I got I did not expect at all! That character with all the Tats that died in the car was amazing. As someone pointed out earlier, all the characters were of people all of us can relate to (no matter what era we came into it)

It was a timeless story, and am proud that one of all of us friends has achieved this.

'Marvin Gaye - This Love Starved Heart Of Mine' in the film doesn't take anything away from what it was about!

I'm still thinking about it today.

P.s - One day I may actually meet Guy Hennigan (Most of my friends know him) and I'm sure I'll say something stupid like...."Great to meet you Ray Henderson - I've seen all your films!"......... (Being someone I respect) I also have a tape of him from Radio 2 that I played 'on lope' for a long time in my car.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Shocking. I simply have never understood the 'small-window' strategy. I said from the word go that this could have taken £3-5,000,000 over an extended cinema run with the right marketing. The fact that it was the 10th most-viewed film in the UK this weekend on a sample of just 70 screens with zero Marketing, tends to underline my point. It's already set the British record for the most-viewed film on the least amount of screens over it's first weekend and the DVD is the best-selling DVD in the UK as of now. I'm wondering whether the penny is beginning to drop yet.......... :lol:

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

they have done well to keep the sound track off the download site but with the film going well im sure it wont be long but 5 weeks and not seen it on the lists at work, would like to off seen the interview and memorabilia searling still had.not into compilation cds but only way to see the interviews 

We watch for the stuff and then zap 'em down regularly. It's a pain in the ass and time-consuming but you have to preserve your copyright if possible.

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Shocking. I simply have never understood the 'small-window' strategy. I said from the word go that this could have taken £3-5,000,000 over an extended cinema run with the right marketing. The fact that it was the 10th most-viewed film in the UK this weekend on a sample of just 70 screens with zero Marketing, tends to underline my point. It's already set the British record for the most-viewed film on the least amount of screens over it's first weekend and the DVD is the best-selling DVD in the UK as of now. I'm wondering whether the penny is beginning to drop yet.......... :lol:

Ian D 

tell you what ian, it makes your blood boil that so many people on this country just want an easy ride pity big brother dosn't exist to punish this crime, every single one of these low lifes are draining the energy & will of just people, like elaine who have put their own security on the line to achieve the success the film is having...perhaps it's not too late to drop on the knob heads at the top from a great height like a ton weight and go public in the criticism of how they have callously mishandled the whole affair...the only samaritan to my mind has been universal for stepping in to make the dream a reality, whilst all the other sodomites stepped aside with total disregard.....name and shame these bastards, then stand them against a wall and mercilessly shoot them all..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

tell you what ian, it makes your blood boil that so many people on this country just want an easy ride pity big brother dosn't exist to punish this crime, every single one of these low lifes are draining the energy & will of just people, like elaine who have put their own security on the line to achieve the success the film is having...perhaps it's not too late to drop on the knob heads at the top from a great height like a ton weight and go public in the criticism of how they have callously mishandled the whole affair...the only samaritan to my mind has been universal for stepping in to make the dream a reality, whilst all the other sodomites stepped aside with total disregard.....name and shame these bastards, then stand them against a wall and mercilessly shoot them all..

Sorry Rob but who are we talking about here, I think I might be missing the point, do you mean the film distributors?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

a few words I put to paper....

It started as a dream, but it wasn’t all sweet dreams.  Many sleepless nights, worries, stress and doubts were endured by Elaine and Marco.  Several years later, this weekend saw the realisation of that dream. 

Over 120 cinemas, many with showings sold out saw the opening of ‘Northern Soul The Film’.  I like many others ventured to the cinema to take in the film after years of expectation with us all hoping the film would live up to the hype and expectation and prove to be a success for our friends Elaine, Marco and every one involved in the making of the movie.

Knowing who had consulted, who had been involved, the years of preparation by the actors, learning to dance, learning the scene and what it means to those like myself who have invested the whole of their adult life (and part of their youth as well) into the greatest youth culture and dance scene this country has seen we shouldn’t really have had any doubts.

Now I was too young to go to all-nighters during the time this film was set but I could relate to the life depicted in the film.   The lighting was on the dark side, but I thought it captured the time and life in those times pretty much as it was for those living in tough working class industrial towns and villages in the north, it’s grim up north as they say.

The story itself held no surprises but the film depicted something we can relate to.  A young lad, doesn’t quite fit in at school, fed up with school and  bit of a loner, fed up with what is considered his lot until almost forced to visit the local youth club by his mother.  Here he was to discover Northern Soul and so begin a journey many of us can relate to, not just the music but the life that went with it.  “A way of life’ used by many, derided by many but to a certain extent it was true.  Working in tough boring jobs, many with no prospects or future, all many of us had to look forward to was the weekend when we could escape with the music and mates from all over the country and many of us with the same dream of going to America to find our own ‘cover ups’ as the stars in the film had!

The music was everything, and to hear Lester Tipton follow the news on BBC Radio, Duke Browner (I almost clapped myself), The Tomangoes, Salvadors, Eddie Parker, Luther Ingram, Towanda Barnes, Freddie Chavez, Vel-Vets, Lou Pride and many more belting out over a large cinema screen was nothing short of amazing especially one of my all time favourite records “The Originals’ and ‘Suspicion”.  Whilst I’ve heard them many times, some too many, to hear them in this setting and to see the attention they are getting all over the country is something I thought I would never see.  Once upon a time it was something I never wanted to see, I wanted to keep the scene to ourselves, underground and away from the masses but with an aging group of support some young blood is needed to keep it going and if this film gets some more youngsters involved who take to it like we did years ago then that is no bad thing.  Sure tourists will, no doubt come along, just as they did back in the 70’s but they will disappear as quick as they turned up.

The detail in the film was amazing and it is this that made the film the success it is.  Elaine not only captured the time that many can remember and relate to, the clothing was as close as you are going to get.  As a mate said if those who wear today what they think they wore back then, then they should watch this film and see what was really worn.  I can remember my first pair of Solatios, from a small cobblers/shoe shop in Brimington near Chesterfield, seeing them, in the window, pestering me mother till she gave in then spending ages hammering the segs in, you could hear me a mile away!

I really was extremely impressed how close Elaine and the crew had got this film so close to how it was at the time.  Yes we could all pick a few faults, an error or two in the continuity, the odd track or two that weren’t really from the time in question but as a film, as a sound track it all flowed effortlessly.  Some complained about the drug element but they were part of every sub culture and were there.  Many who I have the utmost respect for, who were there at the time and earlier have said that the film got it spot on.  They could actually put a real person to those portrayed in the film, even shedding the odd tear for times and mates a long time gone from this world.  Was lovely to see the nod to Pete Lawson, one who for him his life, he lived breathed and died Northern Soul, much missed by many.  Also the lovely tribute to Fran who put so much into the film but sadly passed away not too long ago before seeing the film on the big screen.

A nod must go to the actors and young dancers who having begun with no knowledge of the scene, no idea what it was and not to mention not having a clue about the dancing.  With the help of several who do know a move or two, dozens of ‘lessons’, nights out to ‘proper’ soul nights and nighters they nailed it, they are better dancers than some seasoned scene veterans.  They really did look the part, well done to all involved.

I thought it would be hard to remain objective from something I have invested so much time into, also because those involved with the making I consider friends and I was afraid I would be over critical and pick parts of the film apart but I am really pleased to say that I really enjoyed the film, I was sat their with a big smile on my face knowing I could relate to everything that was on the screen and knowing I have been part of something special since my mid teens. 

The plot, the music, the attention to detail, you can see why it made joint film of the week on what I consider the best film review show out there, Kermode and Mayo’s Film Review aka Wittertainment.  Four Stars in the Times and rave reviews in many other papers, magazines and shows.  Elaine can be proud of what she has achieved, a fabulous tribute to the best underground music scene this country has seen. 

Well done Elaine and everyone involved, you can be immensely proud to have created something so special, only someone involved in the scene like Elaine is can have got this so right.  I am now looking forward to getting home at the weekend and watching the DVD!

Good work Chalky  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Have just checked and there are now three separate pirates of the film up for downloading, over 1000 people downloading as I write this, and about 155 people seeding.  1000 x £7.99 down the drain...unless of course, people like it and go and buy it, but with no extras on the dvd...(why not?)

Social source share

Sorry Rob but who are we talking about here, I think I might be missing the point, do you mean the film distributors

i think i probably mean who's responsible for the marketing strategy, the distributors,universal really stepped in when no-one else showed any faith...if it's one and the same then they've shot theirselves in the foot if they thought it wouldn't conceive valuable remuneration, people in departments who simply don't understand the logic or popularity of this type of subject matter, deciding it merits a straight to dvd sale. these people obviously didn't count on or have any true awareness of just how in demand this film would be, and the subsequent ploy to get cinemas to show it, for which the response has been little short of staggering. that aside, i'm mightily impressed that such a giant of film production payed the project attention and saw it through.

Social source share

Ok, here's my Barry Norman bit.

I think a lot of people on here are looking for a documentary, to suit them, rather than a story. It's a tale about a boy who finds Northern Soul and follows him through the ups and downs (no pun intended) that it leads him to. The makers tried to make it look as authentic as possible, and I think they did really well. If the storyline hadn't gone down the drugs route, it would be something else that certain people couldn't relate to. Not everyone went barmy on drugs, just as not everyone found love at Wigan Casino. Certain parts at the beginning of the film really gave me goosebumps - almost like looking at myself. Good choice of music in my opinion.

Anybody seen Spike Island? Similar sort of thing, different era. I thought the Northern Soul Movie was better.

And why not . . . :D 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well that was a surprise.........when did going to the cinemas become like that,small 50 seat screens,really comfortable chairs that just scream go to sleep & with loads of leg room.Even had a couple beers while watching the film.Shows you how long it's been since I went to the "pictures" :lol:

Enjoyed the film,thought the descent into the darker side & intensity of emotions are just as I remember it.Yes you could be a little picky but why as on the whole it got most things about right..........did I spy a hand full of rather strange shaped Filon or was that just wishful thinking :lol: 

Having read the book & thought it slightly over did the drugs I was expecting it to be over done in the film but thought it was about right?

The only slight problem I can see is for those who didn't go to Wigan,my wife didn't relate to some of the more subtle Wigan references that we all take for granted?Again I'm been picky.

So a big thumbs up this end :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Martin. Sounds like you where last at the pictures when I was back in 1970 something. Is it worth going to see,if I get a chance ?

Steve

Social source share

Born and bred in one of the toughest towns in the north. Widnes. Pierced my own ear with a darning needle after melting two ice cubes on my ear to deaden it when I was fifteen. Had my first tattoo on my sixteenth birthday in 1975, also the year I first went Wigan. So yes there was ear,s pierced and tattoos about. Loads of my mates where the same.

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!