soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Need these 2 for my collection

Andre Williams-Do It- Wingate 021 (stock copy preferred) 

Porgy & Monarchs- That's my girl - Verve 10609 

Must be excellent or better.

Many thanks

Rob

Porgy & Monarchs 'that's my girl' is on Sylves (3 label variations; local, promo Chess distributed or stock) on Verve is 'love chain' ! 

Social source share

Yes, I know that, but it was also released on verve no 10609.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob, well that I did not know and it's true (seen it on Google) !!! I love my Sylves promo and I never keep twice the same record. I'd be in a daze if I would lay my hand on that Verve promo (most likely did not made it to the stock stage...) as to wich one to keep. There must be a story behind that Verve record. Same production (maybe session) as for the 'love chain' one. But 'that's my girl' on Sylves must have been a good seller. The promos are rarer than the issues and a lot surfing up are worned out ! The promos Chess distributed have that "wall paper" shadowed promotional copy - not for sale shadowed patern that Chess used until early 1967. So the Sylves shouldn't be much behind mid 1967. While Porgy 'love chain' Verve (april 1968) is prior to 'that's my girl' on Verve that puts it around mid 1968 !!! I thought I had it all made in my head with my Porgy & the Monarchs record collection, but not. This is exiting ! Cheers

Social source share

Stock copies do exist. I don't think this is particularly rare and is listed at £20 in Manships guide. Having said that I've been collecting Verve for years and only seen a vg- stock copy.

Rob

JM's guide goes both ways sometimes (too high & too low) and is not nerdy enough to consider the desirability (even by few hardcore maniacs) of small differences/details in great but overlooked records by established "hipster" DJ's or collectors. I don't have JM's guide, so £20 for the Verve !? How much does he rate the 3 Sylves differently if he does them individually £5, £10 & £15 ? 

Social source share