Value Of A Complete Run Of Ric Tic Label?

Pete S

Can anyone give some advice as to how much to ask for a complete run of the Ric Tic label? There are some WD's but not the rare ones, but it is a complete set including Scotts On Swingers. All are mint or near mint, and I do realise that many are still to be had for £2 apiece, don't get a whole run very often though.

There are two number 102, one is the usual Freddie Gorman but the other is a totally different design, orange label, by Joyce Webb.

Social source share

The Joyce Webb is from the first Ric Tic series - think there were only 3 or 4 records in that first series

List of records in the first series. I only have the Joyce Webb.

101 - Sue Perrin- I Wonder / Put a Ring on My Finger (1962)
102 - Joyce Webb - You've Got a Whole Lot of Living to Do / Closer to the Blues (1962)**
103 - Barbara De Costa - Now I Know / The One in Your Arms (1962)**
104 - Sue Perrin- You Are My Love / Ring Bells Ring (1962)
105 - Rocky Heart - Someone Stole My Baby Doing the Twist / When a Teenager Gets Blues (1962)
106 - Terry Warren - I Don't Know / Written All Over Your Face**
107 - LeRoy Smalley -  Ain't It a Shame / Girls Are Sentimental (1963)
108 - Joyce Webb - It's easier said than done / Laughing to keep from crying ( See RobbK  post)
Edited by Millo
Social source share

102 - Joyce Webb - You've Got a Whole Lot of Living to Do / Closer to the Blues (1962)**
105 - Rocky Heart - Someone Stole My Baby Doing the Twist / When a Teenager Gets Blues (1962)

Now I see the list, some are familiar,  but I've not seen any of the last three, Rock Heart onwards. Thanks for update.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

I have all of the early series ones on Ric-Tic and Golden World (NB - the Ric-Tics have a GW prefix).

I have issues and demos where I have managed to find both formats.

Dave - the Terry Warren and Rocky Hart are white demos- never seen issues of either as far as I recall.

One other reason, apart from the early series, why this may not have been a complete run is that there is a double-sided as well as a single-sided (one side blank) Scott's On Swingers. You would have to have both of them - and the single-sided is well hard to find I can tell you  :wicked: 

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I have all of the early series ones on Ric-Tic and Golden World (NB - the Ric-Tics have a GW prefix).

Dave - the Terry Warren and Rocky Hart are white demos- never seen issues of either as far as I recall.

One other reason, apart from the early series, why this may not have been a complete run is that there is a double-sided as well as a single-sided (one side blank) Scott's On Swingers. You would have to have both of them - and the single-sided is well hard to find I can tell you  :wicked: 

Cheers

Richard

Also the different variations on Ric Tic 103 including the one sided promo..

Social source share

Cheers

Richard

Also the different variations on Ric Tic 103 including the one sided promo..

Plus loads more Dave - like the blue demos, and the totally different label/font styles on things like the Freddie Gorman releases, J J Barnes "Say It", "Real Humdinger" and Detroit Emeralds "Show Time". There is a blue demo and a proper white demo on Ric-Tic 122. The list goes on ...

In my book you need issue, demo, sticker demo, juke strip, different label/font styles  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You are missing #108 (Golden World) - Joyce Webb - "It's Easier Said Than Done"/"Laughing To Keep From Crying".  The "A" side is a VERY nice mid tempo, written by Ron Miller.  Arranged by Bert Keys.  It's one of the best of the 1962-63 old series.

Social source share

Those sleeves are not genuine  :no:  :no:  :no: A bloke printed a load himself - they are home printed and recent-ish.

Richard

I'll second that.  Ron Murphy bought out the warehouse stock at the beginning of the 1970s, and there were no company sleeves.  None of us old-timers who visited the company and were around throughout its existence ever saw or heard of any company sleeves.

Social source share

There's also this variation of Willie Kendrick's Golden World #1:

WillieKendrick1_zpsb4a4e5f6.jpg

Yes Robb - that is the only white demo copy I have seen of that release. But the issue was on the familiar yellow issue. Also, they got his name wrong - KINDRICK rather than KENDRICK - unlike many UK folk who say KendrickS  :dash2:

:lol:  :lol:

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Yes Robb - that is the only white demo copy I have seen of that release. But the issue was on the familiar yellow issue. Also, they got his name wrong - KINDRICK rather than KENDRICK - unlike many UK folk who say KendrickS  :dash2:

:lol:  :lol:

But his name WAS spelt "Kendricks" on one of his releases.  That's a common error in ALL English-speaking countries, adding or dropping the "S" at the end of the name.  There are lots of Kendrick and Kendricks, McDaniel and McDaniels, Daniel and Daniels.  What did that suffix     "-S" mean, added to the end of a name?  Is it a Keltic usage? 

Social source share

Which one?

It was the one on Checker, and, if I remember correctly, also, the one on Check-Mate.  So, when I was 16, I thought his name was "Kendricks", and in early 1964, I thought it was "Kindrick".  And a couple months later, I thought it might possibly be "Kendrick".  I wondered why this guy couldn't get his name straight, but could sing the lyrics in his songs, just fine.

[url=https://s77.photobucket.com/user/Robb_K/media/WKendricks2_zps0cbdf5ad.png.html]WKendricks2_zps0cbdf5ad.png[/url

I've heard that his real name was Kendrick.  But I've also heard that it was Kendricks.  You know Americans, it doesn't matter all that much, what one's real name is, as long as it's close. :rofl:  McDaniel or McDaniels, what's the difference?  Lose or loose, who cares?  Didn't Eddie Kendricks have his name spelt "Kendrick" on one Motown record?  The printer's favourite between Kendrick and Kendricks won out over personal rights to be known by one's legal name.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

You are missing #108 (Golden World) - Joyce Webb - "It's Easier Said Than Done"/"Laughing To Keep From Crying".  The "A" side is a VERY nice mid tempo, written by Ron Miller.  Arranged by Bert Keys.  It's one of the best of the 1962-63 old series.

Thanks Robb, I will add it to the list.

Social source share

• 7 years later...

105 - Rocky Hart - Someone Stole My Baby Doing the Twist / When a Teenager Gets Blues (1962)

108 - Joyce Webb - It's easier said than done / Laughing to keep from crying 

These were Golden World releases, not Ric Tic / Ric-Tic releases.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/05/2022 at 23:09, Denbo said:

105 - Rocky Hart - Someone Stole My Baby Doing the Twist / When a Teenager Gets Blues (1962)

These were Golden World releases, not Ric Tic / Ric-Tic releases.

Sorry, I was wrong to say that, they ARE Ric Tic labelled releases BUT they are ALSO Golden World labelled releases. Looks like I've just created myself a new series of records to collect 😞 

Social source share

Right, I've cracked it . . . I think.

Those above were all Golden World recordings but those with the ** attached were released on the Ric Tic subsidiary label and not Golden World. All the others were released on Golden World and not the Ric Tic subsidiary.

QED

Social source share

17 hours ago, Denbo said:

Sorry, I was wrong to say that, they ARE Ric Tic labelled releases BUT they are ALSO Golden World labelled releases. Looks like I've just created myself a new series of records to collect 😞 

The GW number is the master/matrix number, used by the pressing plant.  They aren’t Golden World labelled releases, the label is Ric Tic only and the catalogue number is the Ric Tic number although they are the same number. They were pressed at ARP. The rest of the releases were pressed at Columbia and RCA and carry their master number, ZTSC etc. 

Social source share

32 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The GW number is the master/matrix number, used by the pressing plant.  They aren’t Golden World labelled releases, the label is Ric Tic only and the catalogue number is the Ric Tic number although they are the same number. They were pressed at ARP. The rest of the releases were pressed at Columbia and RCA and carry their master number, ZTSC etc. 

Sorry Chalky, please ignore this post. It has been superceded by the one above it. Hopefully I'm correct with my analysis and that you agree with it???

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!