Record Labels A-z

Like lots of people I love looking at record labels - even scanned ones. Hope people don't find these A-Zs too "fluffy". They are an attempt to involve more people. As well as posting record labels in alphabetical order posters can hopefully comment on the label , mention key sounds etc etc.

Anyway to get the ball rolling, here is an A.

Not my favourite record this. Always found it too poppy.

post-1904-1099652559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

• Replies 107
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Again this is one that not that many people took an interest in, sold it for a ton i think, must be double that now. I had the Luther Ingram version on Hurdy Gurdy 2 lists ago for £150. The version by Douglas Gibson on TRC uses the same backing track as the Harrison brothers yet is still a cheapie.

harris.gif

Social source share

I got on for B. Not only the label also the singer.

I have no information about label and artist, as I got it as gift from an ebay seller. So if someone has any, please help.

I hope it will show the picture, it's my first.

link

Shite!

Didn't work or did it? I'm confused, please help.

Social source share

Probably my all time favourite beat ballad.  Can't remember what I did with this copy.

walterj.gif

link

I only know this from the Kent Chicago Soul (or something like that) LP that was put out in the 80s I think. And you say this is a brilliant track. The quality of the voice must make that one of the smoothest record sof any genre. I would realy like to get hold of people who rate Francis Albert Sinatra as the best voice of the 20th century and play them that Walter Jackson. I must go and play it now!

Social source share

here is some that you dont see at all!

link

Thats really nice but I swear I've had this on a different label - only ever seen one copy, I think it was a yellow label - I sold it for £500 (talking about Curtis Lee)

Edited by PeteStoneIsland
Social source share

Thats really nice but I swear I've had this on a different label - only ever seen one copy, I think it was a yellow label - I sold it for £500 (talking about Curtis Lee)

link

Was it the Coda label?

Do you still have a scan to post it?

I've never seen it on this label

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Probably my all time favourite beat ballad.  Can't remember what I did with this copy.

walterj.gif

link

Gorgeous. I just lurve Columbia Okeh demo's.

Has anybody got any British Cameo Parkway demo's to post? I know they are a bit plain in design compared to some, but there are so many that I've never seen anywhere, and though I had a pretty fair Britsish collection myself once, I never did own a Cameo demo.

Social source share

Yeah, me too.  A Wheel favourite I believe and one of the best tracks on the Sue Story compilation - remember that?

link

Which one - there's a couple of different ones with that title - London, Sue, UA, Island?

Kent have bought out 3 Sue compilation cd's but I think they may have had problems licensing some of the material because there's quite a bit of useful stuff missing. They also show Sue to be an ego-trip for Guy Stevens because surely he must have been the only guy in the world who would have bought some of those 45's...the Baron & His Pounding Piano eh?

Social source share

It was the island version I was thinking of. Back around 1970 it introduced me to so many good things like Phil Upchurch, Jimmy McGriff etc.

British Sue was a strange label wasn't it? Lots of class and more than a few oddities - Effie Smith anyone? Bit like Action in that respect. I suppose the closest they came to a hit was Harlem Shuffle?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!