Too Much Choice?

Just would like to ask if anyone else thinks that our scene is getting to saturation point??

I know its great to have a choice but I feel as though every time I look at the events lists the list becomes longer.

I would love to think that there is enough soul loving people to go round but obviously at some point some of the smaller venues will struggle to keep going.

Why are some of the venues doing more that one event per month??

Another bone of contention is OVO or not??

I ask this question to non dj's, do you want OVO or aint you that bothered either way??

Love Betty (Walton 4/5 Soul Club)

Social source share

Betty , we have a local do every 6 weeks or so and I don't go anymore because it's all off a laptop by people who only play the top 100 (not even that really). I went to a couple of do's and as I am maybe one of the only people in our little town who collects OVO was getting pissed off with some on a laptop playing a tune that I'd paid good money for. The do's are quite well attended maybe 60-80 on good night (Small venue) but there is something about not playing records that I can't handle. Sad, I know  :g: I've turned into a soulsnob  :wink:

Swifty :thumbsup:

No, I personally think that you are right. I must admit to having a few boots and re presses and at first that didn't bother me, but now when im playing I can hear the difference with quite a few of them. I now try to play OVO in the main but will play a re press if someone requests it and I don't have a "real one". Digital music is a deffo no no for me too. Thanks for your feedback :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The thing is Betty , the first one I went to after about an hour I heard the same track and I knew what was coming next , and it did :yes:

so went to the lad who was doing it and told him and he said ' people like this one ' and yes it was Frank bloody Wilson !!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

On the south coast there is either nothing on or loads on the same night. Most are non OVO but there is a few decent events here and there and NO nighters so soul nights only.  

I would rather ther eat my poo than attend a non OVO event and I would rather regurgitate it and eat it again than hear someone play off a laptop.

i don't go out much nowadays  :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

As a dancer OVO for me. I want to know the person who I've paid good money to listen to has taken the time and effort to assemble a play box worthy of a northern soul night. It's about mutual respect and integrity at the end of the day. 

Social source share

I fail to understand why you think ovo is a 'bone of contention' and surely Walton 4/5 Soul club and you as a promoter/Resident DJ should be promoting that fact and not asking punters whether "'they are bothered either way'

As Matt has said 'It's about mutual respect and integrity at the end of the day'

As to your other 2 questions

No I don't think it is at saturation point, the scene has many different genres to cater for which all fall (rightly or wrongly) under the umbrella of Soul music

and

why does it matter if venues are doing one event per month, surely if there is a need then the events will be successful in their own right.

Social source share

on facebook this week..after the film :wicked:  ive seen three people said they are looking to start up new nights two within 40 miles of each other and all within an hours drive of maybe 4 or 5 established nights and these to me come across as more of the same..theres also another new more credible night starting in close proximity to all of these! at least that one will play something different

been silly for ages..just plain stupid now

as far as ovo goes..most on here will say ofcourse :thumbsup: ..look on fb and most will call us snobs and say its in the groove that counts :(

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

In the last few months I have attended quite a few events and noticed that if records are played, the attendees know the dance etiquette and understand the genre better than if CD's are played, if that makes sense. I guess if it is a soul night from CD's, it does not quite have the same conviction. Tomorrow is 'The Dome' all dayer, so I know those who will turn up, as a rule, will know what to expect and respect the DJ's passion for playing vinyl. I never thought I would admit it, but I am starting to like the vinyl events more and more, because they are so genuine supported by people who actually care about the format, what it means to them now and what it meant in the past. There is just something about hearing a hiss or scratch that gives the sound a certain romance I guess...a little like am radio or Radio Luxembourg drifting in and out. It's not just about what's in the groove, but in your soul too...It goes much deeper than a 16bit CD!

Social source share

In the last few months I have attended quite a few events and noticed that if records are played, the attendees know the dance etiquette and understand the genre better than if CD's are played, if that makes sense. I guess if it is a soul night from CD's, it does not quite have the same conviction. Tomorrow is 'The Dome' all dayer, so I know those who will turn up, as a rule, will know what to expect and respect the DJ's passion for playing vinyl. I never thought I would admit it, but I am starting to like the vinyl events more and more, because they are so genuine supported by people who actually care about the format, what it means to them now and what it meant in the past. There is just something about hearing a hiss or scratch that gives the sound a certain romance I guess...a little like am radio or Radio Luxembourg drifting in and out. It's not just about what's in the groove, but in your soul too...It goes much deeper than a 16bit CD!

whos play c ds at nighters, bit lose on this one, :g:  just asking billy

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Events..not nighters. It did not say it would be vinyl and went along to a London event to support a friend. The songs were great, but a CD crashed and went digitally haywire for a minute or two. Went to a Motown/soul evening too where everything came off a laptop. Again the songs were good, but that physical side of record playing I think, was sadly missed. The wine is great whether cork or screw cap, but there is just something about taking a cork out the bottle. I have said that before on here I think.

Social source share

Just would like to ask if anyone else thinks that our scene is getting to saturation point??

I know its great to have a choice but I feel as though every time I look at the events lists the list becomes longer.

I would love to think that there is enough soul loving people to go round but obviously at some point some of the smaller venues will struggle to keep going.

I ask this question to non dj's, do you want OVO or aint you that bothered either way??

Might be loads of night's listed but for me personally 95%+ aren't the type of night I'm looking for so my choice is getting smaller & I'm having to travel further more often.It's no drama as I find myself eking out some interesting night's I might have missed.

Cheers

Martyn 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

as far as ovo goes..most on here will say ofcourse :thumbsup: ..look on fb and most will call us snobs and say its in the groove that counts :(

Dean

And that is the exactly the reason I'm not on FB,I like sharing my elitist thoughts with other superior minded people........so why I'm on here I'll never know :wicked: 

Cheers

Martyn 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

On the south coast there is either nothing on or loads on the same night. Most are non OVO but there is a few decent events here and there and NO nighters so soul nights only.  

I would rather ther eat my poo than attend a non OVO event and I would rather regurgitate it and eat it again than hear someone play off a laptop.

i don't go out much nowadays  :lol:

Interesting reference there Bearsy. Freud would have a field day,and don't mean Clement.  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Carl , the do I'm on about actually had a couple of DJ's from Mablethorpe  one week and they were far better than the CD do's  and they had decks and played Vinyl/Styrene  :lol: but they were all boots/Re-issues , now to me that's still not right but I had loads of people saying to me (who don't actually give a shit if it's a record or CD) that the sound was loads better and they really enjoyed it. I was still a mardy bastard saying things like 'this ain't a proper copy' but to be honest they weren't bothered  :dash2: . Hey as long as people enjoy the sounds I suppose but to me the whole ethos of the

scene is to play the original and not a fricking CD that my Mrs. could do (Love her loads though x) just in case she sees this :boxing:

Cheers

Grumpy (of Louth)  :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I hear you! And it's that passion that keeps these records alive, gives them the worth they deserve and maintains an honesty in the playing of them to an audience. As a writer and I guess a 'label', I know what it is like to be 'booted'. That Pied Piper took 'Soul Recession', added strings, other elements and gave it away without consent. I know its not quite the same, but nevertheless.

Is a legal re-issue that bad then? I would love my digital releases to be picked up by a decent label to be re-issued as a 45. It would give me and the song writers a royalty.

Social source share

Swifty/Carl

As I've said hundreds of times most would be happy to do away with dj's & have a jukebox in the corner with Goldmine CD's on so they could choose there favourite 10 times a night.

I'm happy with my little rooms with 50/60 of us admiring dj's plying there trade & showing off there latest tune they are raving about........rare or not it doesn't matter it's about the passion of the guy/girl behind the decks.

Cheers

Martyn

Totally agree Martyn  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its all about the music, the greatest payment those artists who gave us the great sounds could have ever wished for is that nearly 50 years after they recorded them, they are still being played, what format its on doesn't matter IMHO, although i would always prefer the original.

As to the original question, people vote with their feet, if there are to many venues, then some will not survive, law of the jungle.

Last week i was at a banging oldies night, loved it, this week Lifeline, variety is what its all about.

John

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Same old same old . All my cds are recorded for records (Not all OVO) does that make me not soulful, dunna think so.

Choose ya places to go has been my way for a while don't follow the crowd

Social source share

Same old same old . All my cds are recorded for records (Not all OVO) does that make me not soulful, dunna think so.

Choose ya places to go has been my way for a while don't follow the crowd

Frosty , I listen to CD's in the car and do Cd's for friends who want them because they don't understand the OVO stuff but if it gets to a wider audience I'm all for it, It's just if I go to a Soul Night I expect it to be played off OVO  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never been to a lap top soul night, however a local pub has been advertising northern soul, last saturday of the month for a while now,  so we popped in on the way to Lifeline last night,  and yep, it was a lap top event,  the pub was busy, and people dancing, there was a good atmosphere and everyone was enjoying themselves. Still not sure about how i feel about it,  there was a definite lack of vinyl smell in the room, lol.  although the smell of the fusty lounge carpet made up for it.

Social source share

I know some of you may slate me for this,But I've been to one the good thing was if you requested a song he had the facility to down load it and play it which ment there was lots of choice I can't see why the two can't work together

Richo

Edited by richo991
Social source share

I know some of you may slate me for this,But I've been to one the good thing was if you requested a song he had the facility to down load it and play it which ment there was lots of choice I can't see why the two can't work together

Richo

In the same room??? Bring all the flock together, have a rare soul dj, a bootlegging bill and Larry the laptop?? Now I would like to be a fly on the wall at that event.. Maybe all 3 formats have been used at some of the large commercial events??????
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

well I used to think that OVO was a bit of a dick wavers thing and limited some dj,s to what they could play out , and the dancefloor may have suffered for this ,but having been to and experienced strictly OVO at some venues, have come to realise that this is not such a bad thing after all because it makes good dj,s dig out and play some of my great old time favourites which you dont normally hear at the usual top 500 soul event ,.

and as for the too many thing , although I love youy to bits betty theres nowt we can do to stop this and the goood venues will always shine through in the end .

Edited by barney
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

In the same room??? Bring all the flock together, have a rare soul dj, a bootlegging bill and Larry the laptop?? Now I would like to be a fly on the wall at that event.. Maybe all 3 formats have been used at some of the large commercial events??????

I just feel a box of vinyl limits you Evan the best Djs don't take there whole record collection with them  they pick a few ,the amount of times I've asked for a record to be played and the reply was sorry 

I've left that one at home or I haven't got that ask one of the other Djs ,now I'me not saying I'm aginst vinyl because I'm not but I do think  other forms of playing music could be used Go to soul events abroard no one moans about the music being played on Cd or MP3  

I realise people have spent vast fortunes on there record collections and would not take it away from them but I do feel it limits what is played at soul events

Edited by richo991
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

To be honest, I've given up on it all. Being priced out of the market as a collector, having to endure the same old, same old tunes at many venues and watching the fancy dress crew deny the scene any chance of progression. Personally, I'd say that the digital era may progress the scene but yes, it goes against the ethics. However, if someone said to me they were going to put on a night where you could hear totally new stuff but off a CD or mp3, I may be interested. As far as interest goes and attendance, look at the photo's posted here and just look how many venues are about a third full, if that! Says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Steve

Social source share

• photo-thumb-1187.jpg?_r=1372354116
  • Mint
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1713 posts

If a DJ is called a DJ because he plays Discs, is a Laptop player called a Lap Jockey ? ooer !

A DJ is called a DJ because when the term was derived there was no other format. Nowadays many "superstar" DJ's use mp3, CD and SD cards. The role of a DJ is to entertain the crowd, be all, end all. It's because we on this elite scene are anally retentive. 

Steve (An OVO collector for many years but now so much not on the scene because of the politics)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Richo

:ohmy:

Social source share

I fail to understand why you think ovo is a 'bone of contention' and surely Walton 4/5 Soul club and you as a promoter/Resident DJ should be promoting that fact and not asking punters whether "'they are bothered either way'

As Matt has said 'It's about mutual respect and integrity at the end of the day'

As to your other 2 questions

No I don't think it is at saturation point, the scene has many different genres to cater for which all fall (rightly or wrongly) under the umbrella of Soul music

and

why does it matter if venues are doing one event per month, surely if there is a need then the events will be successful in their own right.

To reply to your comment. The only reason why I stated it as a bone of contention was that many people tell me that they couldn't care less weather its on OVO re issue or boot..........I was just trying to get other views on the matter. I have only been collecting for about 5 years and at first would buy just about anything but after some time came to realise that it does matter and I now have quite a good collection of OVO. Obviously no big hitters or expensive rare stuff as Im only a clerk at a manufacturing company so my wage is just above min, but they don't have to cost a fortune to be good...........just need to win the lottery to buy some of the ones I would love to own :) Betty

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I just feel a box of vinyl limits you Evan the best Djs don't take there whole record collection with them  they pick a few ,the amount of times I've asked for a record to be played and the reply was sorry 

I've left that one at home or I haven't got that ask one of the other Djs ,now I'me not saying I'm aginst vinyl because I'm not but I do think  other forms of playing music could be used Go to soul events abroard no one moans about the music being played on Cd or MP3  

I realise people have spent vast fortunes on there record collections and would not take it away from them but I do feel it limits what is played at soul events

I have been to events in USA, Australia. Italy, Spain, France, Sweden, Ireland, Germany etc, all these places playing real vinyl, again it must be the folk I know, I don"t know of these laptop , cd, MP3 events????, never in

My experience over many years..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

as some one who helps promote a small soul night for the last 10 yrs or so ,we only play ovo ,only book djs who do the same ,but just wonder how the scene is going to progress in to the 21st century when loads of great new soul is only on CD or down load does this then mean it can never get played out

Social source share

Yes the scene is getting saturated because every Billy Bootlegger thinks he can DJ and promote, they go out and buy themselves the top 500 boots and Bob's your uncle I'm a DJ, but when they don't get the bookings they start there own night up so they can.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wish more people would realise that collecting originals doesn't mean you've got to be a millionaire,in fact there's thousands of great originals out there that will cost you less then a boot.IMO having big hitters aren't a prerequisite for a great spot but a feel for the dancefloor,an imagination & putting the hard yards in to gain the knowledge that will help make you be a better dj are.

Cheers

Martyn

Yip, saw that the very rare and unobtainable  "Nine Times" has been booted recently, er  Why ??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Purely from a punters point of view my views have changed on  ovo , there was a time when I could not have cared less whether the sounds played were boots as long as I enjoyed the night. Things changed for two reasons, one was joining this site and reading the recurring threads on the subject and reading the comments of Dj's and promoters who champion ovo. The other was from striking up a friendship with a DJ and hearing from the horse's mouth so to speak how it feels when you are just setting up your first tune which you have paid several hundred pounds for and  you see the  needle drop on a ten quid pressing from the previous dj of that very same tune.

That said what the eye doesn't see kind of thing from the dancefloor I wouldn't know one way or the other what was being played so when out it never crosses my mind whether what being played is a boot or not, I just put faith in the dj that it is ovo. I would not go as far as to boycott non ovo events but my taste has changed over the past twelve months and given the choice at a two roomed venue I find myself generally in the smaller room listening to rare and underplayed, rnb or whatever is on offer rather than the main room playing more or less tried and tested classics ,much as I love them.

As for too much choice ego's being what they are you are never going to stop someone thinking they can do a better job than the bloke up the road

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!