Too Much Choice?

as some one who helps promote a small soul night for the last 10 yrs or so ,we only play ovo ,only book djs who do the same ,but just wonder how the scene is going to progress in to the 21st century when loads of great new soul is only on CD or down load does this then mean it can never get played out

Great point,my take on that is.........it should be played on"Original Format" so if something originally came out on CD I have no problem with it been played on that?I also wouldn't have a problem if someone had a carver done of a CD track(they owned) to play out as not all systems have CD players,same as I've had done with some LP tracks save lugging my LP's about.Must admit not come across anything that is download only yet but I'm sure in the future that will happen so wouldn't have a problem with that either.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

why should a DJ be like a bleedin' jukebox though? Why should he/she need to take thousands of records just in case everyone in the room wants to badger them with requests? The DJ should have been booked because of his / her reputation, based on the kinds of sets they can put together. Let them get on with it. If the DJ tries to accomodate everybody's requests he'll never get a good flow to his set. If people don't like the music, he's probably the wrong DJ for the night or he's crap. :lol:

What a load a Djs doesn't no what the others are going to play and it depends on what time your spot is,which could mean a large percent of what you think you' play has already been played.don't get me wrong I've seen it done on some occasions  but I've seen it fail on times many

Social source share

What a load a Djs doesn't no what the others are going to play and it depends on what time your spot is,which could mean a large percent of what you think you' play has already been played.don't get me wrong I've seen it done on some occasions  but I've seen it fail on times many

It helps if the dj gets to know who he's on with,what they play etc,where they play out,get a feel for their box......then each can fit around the other.Only works of course if the ego's haven't landed.

Sometimes for the good of the night,he may have to be sacrificial regarding his own playlist.

If they have got their "own " tunes then good on em.

Lastly if the dj gets to the venue early enough he can actually enjoy and listen to other peoples music,repeats can mostly be avoided.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It helps if the dj gets to know who he's on with,what they play etc,where they play out,get a feel for their box......then each can fit around the other.Only works of course if the ego's haven't landed.

Sometimes for the good of the night,he may have to be sacrificial regarding his own playlist.

If they have got their "own " tunes then good on em.

Lastly if the dj gets to the venue early enough he can actually enjoy and listen to other peoples music,repeats can mostly be avoided.

I quite  agree Kev and as I said I have seen it done, I'm not against Vinyl far from it but I dont see it as the be all & end all,my agument is that lots of fantastic tunes dont get played at venues soley because 99,9% of djs out there don't have them .which I think limts the northern soul scene and lets face it depended which venues you went to all those years ago, and the years you spent there.I just feel having different means of playing music gives the audiece and the Dj the means to share and experience of what fantasic music is and was out there.

Social source share

It doesn't limit or undermine the Soul scene, some people just don't seem to get it.  The scene is built and based on rare obscure records, records you have to travel to hear, records that make a dull working week wothwhile.  It is that 0.01% who make it worthwhile not the lazy ones who play the same records as the majority, those that cannot be bothered putting the hours in and seeking out a decent imaginitve set and a set that doesn't have to cost the earth either.  The whole ethos and values of the scene are being eroded away by the mentality of many out there.  

As for downloads or cds, if that is the original format then play the sodding thing, people make hard work of something so simple.

Chalky I do travel  a fair distance yes and some times rewarded. years gone by the Djs were fewer you knew who had what ,think I'll give up & conceed as it seam's I'm in the minority.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I quite  agree Kev and as I said I have seen it done, I'm not against Vinyl far from it but I dont see it as the be all & end all,my agument is that lots of fantastic tunes dont get played at venues soley because 99,9% of djs out there don't have them .which I think limts the northern soul scene and lets face it depended which venues you went to all those years ago, and the years you spent there.I just feel having different means of playing music gives the audiece and the Dj the means to share and experience of what fantasic music is and was out there.

Richo, this post and your avatar picture are an oxymoron. I think you're missing the point of what 'Northern Soul' is and means.

It's all about the music? You and your type surely need to realise that it transcends the music.

Limiting Northern Soul? Dear or dear.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Chalky I do travel  a fair distance yes and some times rewarded. years gone by the Djs were fewer you knew who had what ,think I'll give up & conceed as it seam's I'm in the minority.

Hopefully you are.

Social source share

On the south coast there is either nothing on or loads on the same night. Most are non OVO but there is a few decent events here and there and NO nighters so soul nights only.

I would rather ther eat my poo than attend a non OVO event and I would rather regurgitate it and eat it again than hear someone play off a laptop.

i don't go out much nowadays :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes you could tell who was behind the decks without looking years ago,some of top jocks now still have that in their locker.Back to the decks,on comes a tune,you know who is on.

Trouble is that (back on topic),too many dj's (and you've only got to look at the amount of venues x dj's),,, don't give a monkey's about the rare records,or dropping in an unexpected tune.All they want is their ego's massaging to a full floor.If cd's or boots get them that,they're happy.Which gives rise to the Too Many Venues.

Still plenty of dj's with imagination and the tunes,and still quality venues if you scratch beneath the surface.

Maybe this Wigan film has made some realise how limiting the scene can be.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Years gone by those fewer djs had some imagination now the large majority don't...they are the ones that are limiting the scene not those with records only a few exist, one offs etc.

:lamsey:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe the OVO venues will survive , the rest well that's exactly what they are the rest, I spend hours ( sometimes in work time /sorry boss ) searching for that extra special tune to buy and play , I don't spend a fortune but still come up with something different on each

outing and that's the beauty of the OVO nights , you never know what you are going to get and long may they continue

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Go to soul events abroard no one moans about the music being played on Cd or MP3  

Where ?

Like Steve Cato, I've done over fifty spots in the States, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Ireland, and never, not one single time, have I seen anyone DJ using MP3s.

OK, some of the guys in the Modern Rooms use CDs, but they tend to be individual artists CDs with the track they want to play rather than a compilation CD from Tesco, but certainly every event I've attended outside of the UK has been original vinyl only, and the promoters of those events wouldn't want it any other way. (And it's Modern Soul so that doesn't count anyway :lol:  :lol: )

So, please clarify which events you are talking about.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It doesn't limit or undermine the Soul scene, some people just don't seem to get it.  The scene is built and based on rare obscure records, records you have to travel to hear, records that make a dull working week wothwhile.  It is that 0.01% who make it worthwhile not the lazy ones who play the same records as the majority, those that cannot be bothered putting the hours in and seeking out a decent imaginitve set and a set that doesn't have to cost the earth either.  The whole ethos and values of the scene are being eroded away by the mentality of many out there.  

As for downloads or cds, if that is the original format then play the sodding thing, people make hard work of something so simple.

Yep, all I want is to hear One I don't know,  hopefully more , and like , and if I can afford it  Bonus...

Social source share

Just for the record, if you don't know Betty, the original poster, she epitomises what a really good DJ is all about IMO.

You really don't know what's coming up next - she plays a great mixture of rare and really underplayed stuff that's lovely to hear - she obviously knows her stuff and looks like she's done plenty of digging for records SHE loves and wants to share with us. If her venue is one of the 'little local do's' that could fall by the wayside then that would be a sad day for our scene - I'd rather be there any day than dancing to I Walked Away for the millionth time at Blackpool.

I'm not just saying this to get in for nowt next time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

f--kwit

Maybe get your wits about you and ponder what would happen if everybody was like you.

Think about what drives the scene, what keeps it alive and fresh, what excites the dancers, what it is that obsesses the best DJs and puts the magic into the best venues.

Have a think, then be thankful that your opinion has nothing to do with what Northern Soul is and means.

"Limits Northern Soul". Dear oh dear.

Social source share

Where ?

Like Steve Cato, I've done over fifty spots in the States, France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Ireland, and never, not one single time, have I seen anyone DJ using MP3s.

OK, some of the guys in the Modern Rooms use CDs, but they tend to be individual artists CDs with the track they want to play rather than a compilation CD from Tesco, but certainly every event I've attended outside of the UK has been original vinyl only, and the promoters of those events wouldn't want it any other way. (And it's Modern Soul so that doesn't count anyway :lol:  :lol: )

So, please clarify which events you are talking about.

only done Spain & s/sun & Greece

Social source share

Just for the record, if you don't know Betty, the original poster, she epitomises what a really good DJ is all about IMO.

You really don't know what's coming up next - she plays a great mixture of rare and really underplayed stuff that's lovely to hear - she obviously knows her stuff and looks like she's done plenty of digging for records SHE loves and wants to share with us. If her venue is one of the 'little local do's' that could fall by the wayside then that would be a sad day for our scene - I'd rather be there any day than dancing to I Walked Away for the millionth time at Blackpool.

I'm not just saying this to get in for nowt next time.

Thanks for your kind comment Stu, our venue is one that aims to play good dance records and we try to play a good all round collection (modern, oldies, some from the top 500, RnB....)Not a great deal of modern I accept. All our dj's have their own style, mine just happens to be a bit of a mix up lol. I think you go to some venues and you know what to expect month in month out, same old same old.....but at Walton you will never get that. We try to bring something new to the table each time we hold our events (4 per year and all for charity) and may I add that I play OVO, thanks again Betty x :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!