Just A Thought On This Old Sam Spin From 78" The Camp

Speedlimit

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

was playing some old tapes from early 78 with soul Sam set on was just wonderin how many copies of The Camp " marching " scepter there are ???? Personally ive only seen two demo's and Rob Smith's red issue  . Not a great record but not seen any for sale , :)  :)

Any chance of uploading the tapes, or copying onto CD? Would buy a copy 

Social source share

I have an original of it….New Jersey students and almost certainly the Bound Brook Sound, one release before or after, same session different name - they sound very similar. 

Confused here, are you talking about the official A side to Marching Steve?  Because Marching is obviously on that 45 as a filler which they got from elsewhere just to put a record out as it's an Ashford/Simpson/Armstead session.

Social source share

Confused here, are you talking about the official A side to Marching Steve?  Because Marching is obviously on that 45 as a filler which they got from elsewhere just to put a record out as it's an Ashford/Simpson/Armstead session.

Both sides Pete....they recorded four tracks using these students by my reckoning.....Marching was written by A-S-A or A-S can't remember which now, but Florence produced it herself - we reckon she just pulled an unused demo off the shelf and got the students to "sing" over it. Job done.

Social source share

Both sides Pete....they recorded four tracks using these students by my reckoning.....Marching was written by A-S-A or A-S can't remember which now, but Florence produced it herself - we reckon she just pulled an unused demo off the shelf and got the students to "sing" over it. Job done.

Steve, the Marching record is the backing track to a Val Simpson track though, background vocals and all.  You can hear her voice 'leaking' into the instrumental

Social source share

Steve, the Marching record is the backing track to a Val Simpson track though, background vocals and all.  You can hear her voice 'leaking' into the instrumental

Pete, Valerie insists the vocal is not hers. No one knows who's it is and I asked extensively, it could possibly be Jo Armstead because I never spoke to her. But they used the backing track and got the students to sing over it - sing in the loosest sense of the word of course - chant more like. It was a rush job, fill the session put out another record. The idea of pulling a demo off the shelf and just filling the session up by recording it, was almost certainly Florence's as her name is on the record as producer. Interesting the publishing company listed on the 45 - I spoke to the guy who owned that - Ed Silvers - and again he denies it is anything to do with him….not surprising really LOL 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!