Original Vinyl Or Nothing

Bazza

Try again with this one..51 years old been around a bit.I admit to being a bit "old school" I love the northern classics, my alltime fave is " Magnetics-I Have A Girl " I have been Back on the scene about 5 year, in that time i have only heard this tune played 2 or 3 times, now we all know owning that bit of 39 year old vinyl would be fantastic.no argument

I would have a big stupid grin on my face if local'ish DJ's played it,but ofcourse they dont reasons are as you lot know

1 its very rare and expensive on the original label "Ra Sel - £2000"

2 If they had it, would they play it in a working mens club with the floor heaving, even with cusioned decks, I remember once when a member of the bar staff leaned accross to the DJ, cought the pickup arm on his shirt sleave ,orrible noise you get the idea..I would not dare play one of my treasured tunes and would not really expect you too

So is this a reason to allow CD's or reissues at venues I think it is

I am not trying to start a slanging match about vinyl V CD...I love the music and just want to here these rare great old tunes

if it came down to original vinyl and never here the tunes or reissue or cd and hear the tunes, I want to here the tunes

Regards..Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 319
  • Views 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dundeedavie

Try again with this one..51 years old been around a bit.I admit to being a bit "old school" I love the northern classics, my alltime fave is " Magnetics-I Have A Girl " I have been Back on the scene about 5 year, in that time i have only heard this tune played 2 or 3 times, now we all know owning that bit of 39 year old vinyl would be fantastic.no argument

I would have a big stupid grin on my face if local'ish DJ's played it,but ofcourse they dont reasons are as you lot know

2 If they had it, would they play it in a working mens club with the floor heaving, even with cusioned decks, I remember once when a member of the bar staff leaned accross to the DJ, cought the pickup arm on his shirt sleave ,orrible noise you get the idea..I would not dare play one of my treasured tunes and would not really expect you too

I am not trying to start a slanging match about vinyl V CD...I love the music and just want to here these rare great old tunes

if it came down to original vinyl and never here the tunes or reissue or cd and hear the tunes, I want to here the tunes

Regards..Bazza

the easiest answer is go places where you will hear them ... it is original or nothing .

i've seen kenny burrell playing THE frank wilson and someone nearly falling over the decks but he still plays it ...so £2,000 approx would never stop a dj from playing it

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Personally i dont want to hear CDs at even local venues but i wont argue against a boot if they are rare as hens teeth and sooo bloodeee expensive, but its worth travelling for the best DJs so you got a better chance of hearing your favourites and taking in the atmosphere what makes these events what they are, to hear a rare tune on original vinyl is a big buzz for me. but each to there own i say. :lol:

Social source share

Regards..Bazza

Bazza ,my computer crashed before I had the chance to place my "curt" reply.All I will say is please continue to support K.R.Steve

Social source share

the easiest answer is go places where you will hear them ... it is original or nothing .

i've seen kenny burrell playing THE frank wilson and someone nearly falling over the decks but he still plays it ...so £2,000 approx would never stop a dj from playing it

I see what your saying and I do travel all over the place but I want to support my local'ish venues.not just fill the pockets of "you know who"

and any new blood that comes to smallish venues will never here the great tunes

Regards..Bazza

Social source share

I see what your saying and I do travel all over the place but I want to support my local'ish venues.not just fill the pockets of "you know who"

Regards..Bazza

What are the local venues to you ? If I'm DJing at one of them I'll play the Magnetics for you.

Social source share

Regards..Bazza

Read your intro, you live in Chesterfield, well I'm DJing in Newark on Friday, and that's only 30 miles. here's a route, you've no excuse now :lol::lol::lol:

See you Friday :lol:

Travel

(miles)and

thento

taketotal

(miles)0.00Start out at Chesterfield,Derbyshire

B60510.000.45At mini-roundabout continue forwardB60570.450.01

Continue forward into one-way systemB60570.460.09

Bear left onto Holywell Street - B6543B65430.550.09

Bear right onto St Marys Gate to pass churchB65430.640.24

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A617 (signposted Mansfield, Derby A61) A6170.880.20

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A617 (signposted Mansfield, Motorway M1) A6171.084.97

At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A617 (signposted Mansfield) A6176.051.01Continue forward onto Mansfield Road - A617.

Entering Bramley Vale A6177.060.69

Continue forward onto The Hill - A617.

Entering Glapwell A6177.751.72

Continue forward onto Chesterfield Road - A617.

Entering Pleasley A6179.470.23At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Road - A617 (signposted Mansfield) A6179.700.82

Continue forward onto Chesterfield Road North - A617.

Entering Mansfield A61710.520.18

At traffic signals continue forwardA61710.691.01

At "The Rufford Arms" PH continue forwardA61711.700.75

At traffic signals continue forward onto Chesterfield Road South - A6009 (signposted Newark A617) A600912.450.51

At traffic signals continue forward (signposted Newark A617) A600912.960.31

At traffic signals turn left onto Ratcliffe Gate - A6191 (signposted Newark) A619113.270.49A

t traffic signals continue forward (signposted Newark) A619113.760.81

At "The Oak Tree" PH continue forwardA619114.571.09

At roundabout take the 1st exit onto the A617 (signposted Newark) A61715.672.04

At roundabout take the 1st exit onto Kirklington Road - A617 (signposted Newark) A61717.711.70

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Kirklington Road - A617 (signposted Newark) A61719.403.33

Continue forward onto Kirklington Road - A617. Entering Kirklington A61722.742.68

Continue forward onto the A617. Entering Hockerton A61725.414.17

Continue forward onto Main Road - A617.

Entering Kelham A61729.591.88

At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the B6326 (signposted Newark) B632631.460.37

At mini-roundabout continue forward onto Great North Road - B6326B632631.830.05

Continue forward onto Great North Road - B6326. Entering Newark B632631.880.07

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Castle Gate - B6166 (signposted Balderton) B616631.950.41

Continue forward onto London Road - B6326 (signposted Grantham A1) B632632.360.04

Arrive at Newark,NottinghamshireB632632.40

The Venue is Sweet Soul, and I'm sure it's in the Events section (If not, why not Dougie)

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest Dodger

I've got this track on original vinyl, I think it suits this thread . . . Average White Band "LET'S GO ROUND AGAIN" RCA 1980!! :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I always think this is a tough call to make. It's easy to say OVO and travel to hear the sounds you want to hear and 99.9% of the time i'd agree that Djs should only play originals because they should stand or fall by their collections and their reputations. What's the point of having big name DJs if someone can just turn up with a box of reissues? On Saturday Mick H. was on in Nuneaton and his first record was the Del Larks - Job Opening. It was a thrill to realise that there was a substantial chunk of very rare soul on those decks at that moment.

On the other hand i wouldn't mind hearing boots and reissues at a local soulnight if it meant that i could hear the sounds i wanted to hear.... or would i? What would have happened on Saturday if the guy before Mick had played the Del-Larks on Goldmine Sevens? :lol:

Like i said, tough call...

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Dodger

What would have happened on Saturday if the guy before Mick had played the Del-Larks on Goldmine Sevens? :lol:

What actually would have happened? A fight? :lol:

Social source share

I always think this is a tough call to make. It's easy to say OVO and travel to hear the sounds you want to hear and 99.9% of the time i'd agree that Djs should only play originals because they should stand or fall by their collections and their reputations. What's the point of having big name DJs if someone can just turn up with a box of reissues? On Saturday Mick H. was on in Nuneaton and his first record was the Del Larks - Job Opening. It was a thrill to realise that there was a substantial chunk of very rare soul on those decks at that moment.

On the other hand i wouldn't mind hearing boots and reissues at a local soulnight if it meant that i could hear the sounds i wanted to hear.... or would i? What would have happened on Saturday if the guy before Mick had played the Del-Larks on Goldmine Sevens? :lol:

Like i said, tough call...

Hi Matt,am an avid believer in originals only to be played out to "punters" K.R. not me.

Try venues that play out NEW TO YOU they have to be originals,don't they?

Was at a venue in support of the Shakers ( Bury) football club ,Ginger had just purchased J D Bryant ..........someone played it off a boot/7s before he had the chance to.........and he had paid well into 4 figures for it.......not got too many unknowns but those I have are gonna be C/UPS.........Stevie z

Social source share

Hi Matt,am an avid believer in originals only to be played out to "punters" K.R. not me.

Try venues that play out NEW TO YOU they have to be originals,don't they?

Dont know why i should but im going to stick up for Kev here (well atleast the DJ's that play for him)

I cant see any boots being played at Kev's do's, so your implying that Mick H, Butch, Soul Sam et-all play boots?

Or is it just another dig at KR for no reason?

Was at a venue in support of the Shakers ( Bury) football club ,Ginger had just purchased J D Bryant ..........someone played it off a boot/7s before he had the chance to.........and he had paid well into 4 figures for it.......not got too many unknowns but those I have are gonna be C/UPS.........Stevie z

Agree with that, unfair on the DJ with the records.

P.S are these C/Ups any good to be booted :lol:

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Read your intro, you live in Chesterfield, well I'm DJing in Newark on Friday, and that's only 30 miles. here's a route, you've no excuse now :lol::lol::lol:

HI Dave would love to come...but goin to KR's do at matlock saturday..trying to cut down a bit ,costin me a fortune, keep me informed where your doin your spots tho' be worth the travel just to here it played at a venue

Regards..Bazza

Social source share

i always used to be an original vinyl only fascist and have recenty posted to that effect on here on other similar threads. if i was a dj, or on the odd occasions i've done little spots here and there, i've only ever personally played original vinyl. but the more i think about it, the more i think, so f***ing what, to be honest.

dodger's answer to matt saying, what would have happened etc, is a fair one. probably what would have happened is mick would have had to play another record.

there's the argument that people wouldn't bother trying to find new records, an argument i've used myself. but it's patent rubbish, they still would.

the more i think about it, the more i think a free for all is the way forward.

still prefer the idea of original vinyl but am i going to lose sleep over it...not really.

do 90% of paying punters give a toss? not really.

is the 'scene' run for a few or the many? the many, i guess.

Social source share

i always used to be an original vinyl only fascist and have recenty posted to that effect on here on other similar threads. if i was a dj, or on the odd occasions i've done little spots here and there, i've only ever personally played original vinyl. but the more i think about it, the more i think, so f***ing what, to be honest.

dodger's answer to matt saying, what would have happened etc, is a fair one. probably what would have happened is mick would have had to play another record.

there's the argument that people wouldn't bother trying to find new records, an argument i've used myself. but it's patent rubbish, they still would.

the more i think about it, the more i think a free for all is the way forward.

still prefer the idea of original vinyl but am i going to lose sleep over it...not really.

do 90% of paying punters give a toss? not really.

is the 'scene' run for a few or the many? the many, i guess.

I really agree now too Dan, i first come on here all guns ablazing priasing the original only - Which i still strickly stick to that policy myself, and if im at a nighter and or soul night claiming to be 'ahead of the game' so to speak, but whats the matter if its just at a local soul night not claiming to be anything and just giving people a good time, i regualy atend a do where one of the guys plays CD's and some of the others play boot's/vinyl carvers et all, do the people on the dance floor give a flying pig shite, not at all.

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Dont know why i should but im going to stick up for Kev here (well atleast the DJ's that play for him)

I cant see any boots being played at Kev's do's, so your implying that Mick H, Butch, Soul Sam et-all play boots?

Or is it just another dig at KR for no reason?

Agree with that, unfair on the DJ with the records.

P.S are these C/Ups any good to be booted :lol:

Hi Baz, hows Kev?

Social source share

I really agree now too Dan, i first come on here all guns ablazing priasing the original only - Which i still strickly stick to that policy myself, and if im at a nighter and or soul night claiming to be 'ahead of the game' so to speak, but whats the matter if its just at a local soul night not claiming to be anything and just giving people a good time, i regualy atend a do where one of the guys plays CD's and some of the others play boot's/vinyl carvers et all, do the people on the dance floor give a flying pig shite, not at all.

I must agree Baz..local doo, not trying to prove owt just give the punters tunes they want to here every body is happy ....( i think ..lol ) everybody goes home feeling chuffed

Regards...Bazza

Social source share

Guest Dodger

I must agree Baz..local doo, not trying to prove owt just give the punters tunes they want to here every body is happy ....( i think ..lol ) everybody goes home feeling chuffed

Regards...Bazza

I think the key thing is for each individual to uphold their own principles in this issue and not worry about what others are doing. :lol:

Social source share

To dj you need passion, finding originals 45's is a passion.. buying boots takes 5 minutes on ebay.... Type in Northern Soul ... click Buy It Now... 15 minutes later and £100, you have a set of top tunes wheres the passion in that...

also if we all played boots rarer records would loose there sparkle..

Only my views...

Social source share

I think the key thing is for each individual to uphold their own principles in this issue and not worry about what others are doing. :lol:

Summed up in one sentence! :lol:

Trouble is, SS is a place where people seem to worry an awful lot about what others are doing. :lol:

Social source share

Travel

(miles)and

thento

taketotal

(miles)0.00Start out at Chesterfield,Derbyshire

B60510.000.45At mini-roundabout continue forwardB60570.450.01

Continue forward into one-way systemB60570.460.09

Bear left onto Holywell Street - B6543B65430.550.09

Bear right onto St Marys Gate to pass churchB65430.640.24

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A617 (signposted Mansfield, Derby A61) A6170.880.20

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto the A617 (signposted Mansfield, Motorway M1) A6171.084.97

At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A617 (signposted Mansfield) A6176.051.01Continue forward onto Mansfield Road - A617.

Entering Bramley Vale A6177.060.69

Continue forward onto The Hill - A617.

Entering Glapwell A6177.751.72

Continue forward onto Chesterfield Road - A617.

Entering Pleasley A6179.470.23At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Road - A617 (signposted Mansfield) A6179.700.82

Continue forward onto Chesterfield Road North - A617.

Entering Mansfield A61710.520.18

At traffic signals continue forwardA61710.691.01

At "The Rufford Arms" PH continue forwardA61711.700.75

At traffic signals continue forward onto Chesterfield Road South - A6009 (signposted Newark A617) A600912.450.51

At traffic signals continue forward (signposted Newark A617) A600912.960.31

At traffic signals turn left onto Ratcliffe Gate - A6191 (signposted Newark) A619113.270.49A

t traffic signals continue forward (signposted Newark) A619113.760.81

At "The Oak Tree" PH continue forwardA619114.571.09

At roundabout take the 1st exit onto the A617 (signposted Newark) A61715.672.04

At roundabout take the 1st exit onto Kirklington Road - A617 (signposted Newark) A61717.711.70

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Kirklington Road - A617 (signposted Newark) A61719.403.33

Continue forward onto Kirklington Road - A617. Entering Kirklington A61722.742.68

Continue forward onto the A617. Entering Hockerton A61725.414.17

Continue forward onto Main Road - A617.

Entering Kelham A61729.591.88

At roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the B6326 (signposted Newark) B632631.460.37

At mini-roundabout continue forward onto Great North Road - B6326B632631.830.05

Continue forward onto Great North Road - B6326. Entering Newark B632631.880.07

At roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Castle Gate - B6166 (signposted Balderton) B616631.950.41

Continue forward onto London Road - B6326 (signposted Grantham A1) B632632.360.04

Arrive at Newark,NottinghamshireB632632.40

The Venue is Sweet Soul, and I'm sure it's in the Events section (If not, why not Dougie)

in events but the guy is going to Matlock why oh why do you follow the masses when the best jox are local

www.sweetsoulonline.co.uk

and click where it says map

email me Dave to make arrangements as tel and u are busy or PM

:lol::D

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

To dj you need passion, finding originals 45's is a passion.. buying boots takes 5 minutes on ebay.... Type in Northern Soul ... click Buy It Now... 15 minutes later and £100, you have a set of top tunes wheres the passion in that...

Only my views...

I dont think so ...to the people that no whats what....the original would never lose its sparkle in fact it may enhance the shine , because more people actually here it and not just the peeps that do the allnighters

Bazza

Social source share

I dont think so ...to the people that no whats what....the original would never lose its sparkle in fact it may enhance the shine , because more people actually here it and not just the peeps that do the allnighters

Bazza

:lol: I hear what you are saying but if a tune got hammered at every soul do we went to we would get fed up with it... if we all played boots then the rarer stuff would become over played, because you would hear it at most do's most weekend.

maybe then it would be the dj's with the cheaper none booted stuff in thier box's that would lead the way..... :lol::lol: uuummmm everyone play boots of big tunes... I found my nitch in the market :lol:

:lol:

Social source share

ORIGINAL FOR ME,WAS THE WAY I WAS BROUGHT UP ON THE SCENE.

IT IS THE RARE SOUL SCENE,NOT THE RE-ISSUE SOUL SCENE. :lol:

Rare soul scene...I thought it was northern soul/Rnb scene have been goint to the wrong places...lol :lol:

Bazza

Social source share

Regards..Bazza

Bazza

so why do local venues book ,the Dave Rimmers and the Soul Sams and Arthur Fenn or Ginger Taylor,or in the past have booked a good xover inc Mick H, Andy Dyson,threatened to sing To Mick Smith(to no avail)but has promised to come next year(he was drunk and I conned him),but he keeps his promises as do the other up and coming old men

Like Nick Borst,Dave Raistrick,Chris Forrest,etc,

so if you believe in supporting the local venues do you go to the bigger ones

:lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Can i just mention that in the area i live there is a call for northern soul but not on a massive scale so

would any big name promoters and dj`s be willing to put on an event in the middle of Kent ie- Medway, as there is no garauntee of filling a venue of any size,

if not it means people who like the music localy but not enough to travel too far wont be able to get to hear any of it, its there choice i know.

its takes how many years and how much money to build a collection so you can say - ive got nearly every tune people of all tastes would like and on original vinyl, it takes a lifetime of hard work and passion does it not

i have personally been building a collection of vinyl over the last few years and can honestly say im hooked on collecting now, BUT me and a couple of other mates put a doo on every other month and its going really well and getting bigger (KENT SOUL CLUB) and everyone who has attended has enjoyed themselves

i have a nice little collection and its getting bigger by the day but for me to have every tune i want on original vinyl would take forever and as we all know its not cheap, but i am replacing boots/copies with originals as i can afford them, i do have a good few hundred originals now

what we are doing though is bringing northern soul back to the towns and people are now getting back into or into it and starting to travel a bit further for the music,

i must state that i would love to have all original and for those who have spent thier hard eaned cash its got to be frustrating if a boot gets played when they want to play thier original,

if im on the dance floor at a major event i would expect the dj`s to be playing thier originals but would i know if they werent ?

local events i think the paying punter knows what he is getting and most dont really care as long as it gets them dancing

tough call this one but i see bith sides imho. :lol:

Bearsy

Social source share

Bazza

so why do local venues book ,the Dave Rimmers and the Soul Sams and Arthur Fenn or Ginger Taylor,or in the past have booked a good xover inc Mick H, Andy Dyson,threatened to sing To Mick Smith(to no avail)but has promised to come next year(he was drunk and I conned him),but he keeps his promises as do the other up and coming old men

Like Nick Borst,Dave Raistrick,Chris Forrest,etc,

so if you believe in supporting the local venues do you go to the bigger ones

:lol::lol:

Yes of course I do, did the last skeggy weekender, and the whitby fiasco, infact already booked for the next skeggy weekender also off to KR's mini nighter at Matlock thissaturday....belive me I do my best to go to em all :lol:

Bazza

Social source share

Only my views...

Here, here, nail on head time.....

And when you've actually paid four figures for a record and some wannabe dj plays the boot before you go on, then and only then will you know what you are talking about.

It's the reason that there are hundreds of events on every weekend. And the reason that the scene is splitting in two. One, Retro scene. And the rare/upfront/something different scene.

It's the easiest thing in the world to pack a dance floor at a "soul night" just play the old favourites over and over again. Then stand back smugly with your arms folded and bask in your glory......

Thing is, £200 and a trip to Beatin Rhythm in Manchester is all it takes. If thats good enough for you then god help our scene.

Social source share

Right everybody gather round.

How many of you have got mp3s on your pc's? Hands up now.

1 2 3 4 5 .... Keep still at the back. I'm trying to bloody count...

1 hour later, 3,521 3,522 3,523 like i thought, everybody.

May as well play mp3s then :lol::lol::lol:

Getting my coat :lol:

Social source share

ORIGINAL FOR ME,WAS THE WAY I WAS BROUGHT UP ON THE SCENE.

IT IS THE RARE SOUL SCENE,NOT THE RE-ISSUE SOUL SCENE. :lol:

I admit I`m a deejay. I admit I have quite a record collection. I admit that I only used to attend all-nighters and only treated soul nights as "warm ups" .I also admit to being one of the biggest musical snobs on the scene at one time. I admit that original vinyl 45`s (and also LP`s) are assets which are a sound financial investment because in most cases they will only increase in value. But I love `em that much I`d rather play `em than sell em on! As a kid I could only buy what I could afford and/or find. And nothing`s really changed. Originals are a lovely rare and wonderous thing. But only if you can afford `em! Or find `em. Or both. And most of the fun`s in the hunt. But the main thing I`ve learned over the years (since 1974) is.....

"IT`S WHAT`S IN THE GROOVE THAT COUNTS"

Love the music. Not the monetary value....

Social source share

Here, here, nail on head time.....

And when you've actually paid four figures for a record and some wannabe dj plays the boot before you go on, then and only then will you know what you are talking about.

yeh. except that - in many cases - it's the wannabe djs who are paying four figures for records.

with respect to mick h, lovely bloke i'm sure and a good dj i know, if a 5000 quid record comes up on manship he'll buy it and, next week, he'll play it. well, if that floats his and your boat, good for you both (and i'm not being sarcastic in saying that, i'm serious, fair dos).

in the ebay/manship auction era, anyone can build up a brilliant dj spot if they have the dough.

to me, that's not what being a good dj is about, but it's a personal thing.

(like i say, personally i don't buy and wouldn't play boots, if i was a dj. but do i care if someone else is? no.)

Social source share

Right everybody gather round.

How many of you have got mp3s on your pc's? Hands up now.

1 2 3 4 5 .... Keep still at the back. I'm trying to bloody count...

1 hour later, 3,521 3,522 3,523 like i thought, everybody.

May as well play mp3s then :lol::lol::lol:

Getting my coat :lol:

Aharr,

Many folks would rather hear the MP3s on their PCs than the Hand Bag Disco in your play-boxes....

Yarr.

:lol::D:yes:

Social source share

This has taken me 5 minutes to do....

on ebay ... buy it now... only an example and only took 5 minutes...

Johnny-Sayles-I-cant-get-enough- £3.99

Rubin you been away £3.99

Dee Dee Sharpe - deep dark secret £4.

Frank Wilson £6.99

Morris Chesnut to darn soulful £10

4 below 0 my baby's got esp. £3.99

Bobby Hutton -lend a hand (double sider see below)

Lou pride - I'm coming home in the morning £7.99

Tony Galla - in love £9.99

£50 odd quid + p&p

no passion there ... no searching for something differnt .. take the Tony Galla £9.99 for example (and also one of my fav records) but for £10/£15 you can find a decent out of fashion soul record that will fill a floor ..... if you wanted to or if you can be bothered..

Then again I don't care what you play I only care what I play

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Guest Simon

I personally think it's up to the promoter, as far as i'm aware it's not against the law to play anything other than an original 1st issue 45 at a venue, as long as you make it clear where your venues at i don't see a problem.

Then if people want to go to a venue that they know people are only playing original 45s they can & visa versa if it's a more relaxed affair & people are playing non original vinyl copies, cds, mp3s et al than that's fine also.

Interestingly when did this originals only thing come in cause as far as i'm aware it wasn't always like that?

One last thing is certain NS recoords are being officially re-issued as we speak legitimately as far as i'm aware, are these legal reissues ok to play or should it only be the original first issue 6ts recording?

My personal view is i only like to see vinyl played but if it's a well recorded second issue & sounds crisp & loud i don't have a problem.

Simon

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

why don't those of us who dj occasionally get business cards with a mandatory statement ....

DundeeDavie Hudson - Originals Only

LocalJoe Bloggs - Re-Issues and Bootlegs Played

Social source share

yeh. except that - in many cases - it's the wannabe djs who are paying four figures for records.

with respect to mick h, lovely bloke i'm sure and a good dj i know, if a 5000 quid record comes up on manship he'll buy it and, next week, he'll play it. well, if that floats his and your boat, good for you both (and i'm not being sarcastic in saying that, i'm serious, fair dos).

in the ebay/manship auction era, anyone can build up a brilliant dj spot if they have the dough.

(like i say, personally i don't buy and wouldn't play boots, if i was a dj. but do i care if someone else is? no.)

Sorry my friend but you have used a ridiculous example. Mick H is a smashing bloke, but he is obviously a wealthy man. I, on the other hand am not. For me it's an obsession. I spend vast amounts of money that I don't have, and struggle to make ends meet. No fancy cars or foreign holidays for me. Don't imagine that all the people who pay the ridiculous prices for records are all wealthy. Cos they're not. They are the ones who are REALLY passionate about this scene.....

You are talking about something you have no experiance of, and I would presume that you like the classic oldies, and attend Mr. Roberts events.....

Though I may be wrong :yes::lol:

Social source share

I admit I`m a deejay. I admit I have quite a record collection. I admit that I only used to attend all-nighters and only treated soul nights as "warm ups" .I also admit to being one of the biggest musical snobs on the scene at one time. I admit that original vinyl 45`s (and also LP`s) are assets which are a sound financial investment because in most cases they will only increase in value. But I love `em that much I`d rather play `em than sell em on! As a kid I could only buy what I could afford and/or find. And nothing`s really changed. Originals are a lovely rare and wonderous thing. But only if you can afford `em! Or find `em. Or both. And most of the fun`s in the hunt. But the main thing I`ve learned over the years (since 1974) is.....

"IT`S WHAT`S IN THE GROOVE THAT COUNTS"

Love the music. Not the monetary value....

Hi I must know you, never miss barrowhill infact was there friday..not many in tho' im the little chap always dressed in black bald tinted specs

Bazza

Social source share

Totally agree (again) Dan, plenty of 'wannabe' DJs out there with the money to throw around to make a spot up, i would rather hear a well thought out spot with a few raritys and some lesser known cheap as chips things in there, it shows willingness and enthusiasm, not how big your bank balance is........

Social source share

Don't imagine that all the people who pay the ridiculous prices for records are all wealthy. Cos they're not. They are the ones who are REALLY passionate about this scene.....

Cant agree with you there Phil, what about the guy's and girls who are on the floor for 8 hrs a night every weekend? thats not passion?

The DJ's IMO who are really passionate would play what ever feels right not how expencive a tune is, i bet i could play a hour set of tunes under £50 and it would sound more fresh than any set of a hours worth of high end raritys.

P.S your completely wrong about Dan :yes::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!