Bazza

• Replies 319
  • Views 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

what's up with dancing to the newies as well?

I do Steve..but with the well known tunes ,you get to know the llittle pauses drumrolls quirky bits....just find it easier ,I need all the help I can get on the floor these days :thumbsup: my opinion of a good night would be 50% oldies 40% newies 10% modern, I would go home with a big grin on my face

Bazza

Social source share

and they still refer to 80's discoveries as newies :thumbsup:

The reasoning behind that is because most of the people who we know as "returnees" tended to go off the scene in the late 70's, so anything after that up until the early 90's when they all came back, is obviously a "newie"...well it is to them. I'll give you an example, Arin demain was never played at Wigan when I attended, I must have missed it by maybe a year, and I didn't actually hear it until around 1984-85, so when I'm doing tapes or cd's for myself, thats always in with the newies!!!

Social source share

The reasoning behind that is because most of the people who we know as "returnees" tended to go off the scene in the late 70's, so anything after that up until the early 90's when they all came back, is obviously a "newie"...well it is to them. I'll give you an example, Arin demain was never played at Wigan when I attended, I must have missed it by maybe a year, and I didn't actually hear it until around 1984-85, so when I'm doing tapes or cd's for myself, thats always in with the newies!!!

Belive it or not ,when I came back on the scene I had never heard Frank Wilson,was not around in my day ...so it was a "newie" to me :thumbsup:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest rachel

People who go to Northern soul nights wouldn't care if someone plays a re-issue (after all Frank Wilson is re-issued).

If nobody cared about it, there wouldn't be about 50 pages of discussion on this forum about this very topic :thumbsup:

Social source share

Belive it or not ,when I came back on the scene I had never heard Frank Wilson,was not around in my day ...so it was a "newie" to me :D

Bazza

:thumbsup: hey up Bazza

same for us, left the scene well before Frank Wilson (well Wigan anyway), learnt a new word today, seems that I'm a returnee, you too I guess. Never liked Frank Wilson when I first heard it anyway and still don't. but whatever. the only newies are records released today (in the strictest sense) so just about everything on the scene today is an oldie, an oldie that is from a particular decade or era. My particular taste is for most things 60s and i started my northern nights at the Brit in the early 70s with trips to Vavas, Leeds and local clubs and still prefer the tunes from then although i'm a regular buyer of so called 'across the board' tunes. Must confess, I do think that we should play originals when possible but with records in short supply, ie Frank Wilson, how on earth are we expected to hear them if only one or two Djs happen to have the resources to own them.

Social source share

hey up Bazza

same for us, left the scene well before Frank Wilson (well Wigan anyway), learnt a new word today, seems that I'm a returnee, you too I guess. Never liked Frank Wilson when I first heard it anyway and still don't. but whatever. the only newies are records released today (in the strictest sense) so just about everything on the scene today is an oldie, an oldie that is from a particular decade or era. My particular taste is for most things 60s and i started my northern nights at the Brit in the early 70s with trips to Vavas, Leeds and local clubs and still prefer the tunes from then although i'm a regular buyer of so called 'across the board' tunes. Must confess, I do think that we should play originals when possible but with records in short supply, ie Frank Wilson, how on earth are we expected to hear them if only one or two Djs happen to have the resources to own them.

Hi Cris, my own personal view on the topic is this

CDs- I Dont really think they should be played at Venues

bootlegs-same goes for those

Reissues- I dont have any problem..play em

bye the way ..I first started my soul days at the Brit and palais and another little place in Mapperley,a working mens club ..no idea what it was called, I went to the Brit a few month back exactly the same as it was then ( I dont think its been decorated since then ) ,not going to the shed, as you know we got litte bit of expense coming up so cutting it down to once a week for the time being,we are going to matlock though,so see you there

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

hey up Bazza

Hi Cris, my own personal view on the topic is this

CDs- I Dont really think they should be played at Venues

bootlegs-same goes for those

Reissues- I dont have any problem..play em

bye the way ..I first started my soul days at the Brit and palais and another little place in Mapperley,a working mens club ..no idea what it was called, I went to the Brit a few month back exactly the same as it was then ( I dont think its been decorated since then ) ,not going to the shed, as you know we got litte bit of expense coming up so cutting it down to once a week for the time being,we are going to matlock though,so see you there

Bazza

Going to Matlock :thumbsup: Walls have ears

Social source share

Sorry for not reading further as too many posts to read.

I would definately want to hear it on Vinyl only, a lot of my fav tunes are not that expensive - but a lot are - maybe a few copies etc, but I go to venues that have the DJ with the said record in their line up - the pleasure is greater when your not hearing it out every week. One of my fav records to dance too is - The Trannels - Blessed with this love - Bob Hinsley plays it - Mick H & Tim played it recent, but now it's gonna be available to anyone - so it'll get played to death like a lot of stuff. :D

Don't get me wrong lot's of records to buy that are within most of our budgets, but most of us have records we search long and hard for and will pay a lot of money to own, all part of fun of record collecting. :D

No fun or pleasure gracing the decks with reissues or cd's as anyone can do this without putting time, effort or money into it. :D

My personal opinion only - but one I have always felt very strongly about. :thumbsup:

Karen

Thank goodness a kindred spirit. :D

:DOh no they've not booted the Trannels now have they. Been at the top end of my wants list for quite some time.

Social source share

Guest hammy

I don't eat quorn sausages, nor would I pay to go into an art gallery displaying photo copies of the Mona Lisa, I don't shag blow up dolls, and I certainly wouldn't pay good money to hear some twit play boots, dubs or reissues.....

Hammy

Social source share

I don't eat quorn sausages, nor would I pay to go into an art gallery displaying photo copies of the Mona Lisa, I don't shag blow up dolls, and I certainly wouldn't pay good money to hear some twit play boots, dubs or reissues.....

Hammy

And another kindred spirit. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hammy

Hammy ok ..if you would rather not hear the tunes.thats upto you, on the other hand I love many of the rare old tunes ,and I want to her them, I also want to support my local Venues not just the Big doo's and allnighters...most of all I want to enjoy myself

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I was only joking! However still jovially put........CORRECTED :thumbsup: Are you having a giraffe? ATB an ex contributer........

sometimes i think we all take this too seriously so a bit of fun can only be good and keep things reel . :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Thank goodness a kindred spirit. :ohmy:

:thumbsup:Oh no they've not booted the Trannels now have they. Been at the top end of my wants list for quite some time.

yes they have, i found it for sale on a link to SS and they made 100 of them and they are up for a tenner + pp, sorry but i bought one for myself.

Social source share

yes they have, i found it for sale on a link to SS and they made 100 of them and they are up for a tenner + pp, sorry but i bought one for myself.

Not a boot its a legit re-issue from NSC :thumbsup:

Social source share

Legit my arse. :thumbsup:

Like your own record you posted,your house thing,might have been legal in the European mainland,i think there called efta countrys?,but not here,but you posted it :lol: as your own,yet it was all samples,cant be right can it?.

Hope this is the right Phil,PhilD i hope,apologise if not :ohmy:

Social source share

I don't get this at all. Soul Sam plays Del-Larks at Middleton and he gets a thread to himself whilst if Joe Bloggs plays a boot or re-issue of same thing he's in for a slating. Fact is I like Del-larks,would like an original but surely there's some other 45 just as worthy of playing that I've not heard a thousand times!! For instance Lee Jennings on Star-track. No,I've not got that either so not trying to hype it but it's just a decent record that IMO you don't get to hear. Im sure everybody on here can come up with something similar.

I think Greg hit it on the head earlier that there are too many djs playing same old originals, be they reactivated oldies or 20 year old newies, just because big name jocks have them and they don't appear to have an innovative approach at all,merely content to slavishly follow whatever is in fashion.

I've heard guys play sets comprising "big" records from various Northern genres and just bung 'em altogether and you can tell they don't have a clue.

So I think you can do what you want and it's fine and not a boot v. original situation but IMO more to do with widening a pretty stagnant attitude to listening and playing records.

ROD

Social source share

I don't get this at all. Soul Sam plays Del-Larks at Middleton and he gets a thread to himself whilst if Joe Bloggs plays a boot or re-issue of same thing he's in for a slating. Fact is I like Del-larks,would like an original but surely there's some other 45 just as worthy of playing that I've not heard a thousand times!! For instance Lee Jennings on Star-track. No,I've not got that either so not trying to hype it but it's just a decent record that IMO you don't get to hear. Im sure everybody on here can come up with something similar.

I think Greg hit it on the head earlier that there are too many djs playing same old originals, be they reactivated oldies or 20 year old newies, just because big name jocks have them and they don't appear to have an innovative approach at all,merely content to slavishly follow whatever is in fashion.

I've heard guys play sets comprising "big" records from various Northern genres and just bung 'em altogether and you can tell they don't have a clue.

So I think you can do what you want and it's fine and not a boot v. original situation but IMO more to do with widening a pretty stagnant attitude to listening and playing records.

ROD

A double :thumbsup::ohmy: from me,

any way who said 'big names' dont play 'acetates' of big records :lol:

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Guest hammy

Hammy ok ..if you would rather not hear the tunes.thats upto you, on the other hand I love many of the rare old tunes ,and I want to her them, I also want to support my local Venues not just the Big doo's and allnighters...most of all I want to enjoy myself

Bazza

I'd rather travel to hear the real thing, done right, in the right venue, with the right progressive ethos. All this inferring of boots and dubs bringing the tunes closer to the people bollocks gets right on my tits. It brings boots closer to the people who can't get further than 5 miles from their house cos they realise commitment means more than wearing a bowling shirt with " Keep the Faith " on it. I went to all the Lifeline nighters in The Fox by car - 12 hour round trip and no I don't want a medal.

It's that or nowt as far as I am concerned.

Hammy

Social source share

I'd rather travel to hear the real thing, done right, in the right venue, with the right progressive ethos. All this inferring of boots and dubs bringing the tunes closer to the people bollocks gets right on my tits. It brings boots closer to the people who can't get further than 5 miles from their house cos they realise commitment means more than wearing a bowling shirt with " Keep the Faith " on it. I went to all the Lifeline nighters in The Fox by car - 12 hour round trip and no I don't want a medal.

Hammy

One thing thats worth mentioning, I know of one well known dj and collector who has had dubs done of all his big records as he feels they are too valuable to take out and get ruined on rubbish quality decks, and he does have a point, but how is anyone to know that he actually has the originals?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hammy

Hammy respect to you, im not taking the piss or trying to be smart, but i have a wife with no interest in NS and i also have 3 kids who dont mind a bit of it, i know thier must be many others like me in our scene but my point is, i love to have my favourites on vinyl but how can i persuade my wife that 3-4-5-hundred £ upwards is not a lot of money to pay for a 40 year old tune when its easy to get cd`s with 20+ tunes on for a tenner, tough on me i know, that also goes with travelling around the country for the best venues,dj`s, nights, as you know its not a cheap hobby/passion, i would love to have them all and do it all but i do have responsibility to my family too. i have bought boots but to be honest i must agree that original on vinyl should be played at events, but if it meant attending a local or smaller event and dj`s were going to play boots and i was aware of it, i wouldnt mind to be honest as when i do go out im more interested in making the most of the night and enjoy myself and dance away as i wouldnt know when i would be aloud out again.

this is just a reality and an honest insight to how i see it.

Social source share

If nobody cared about it, there wouldn't be about 50 pages of discussion on this forum about this very topic :ohmy:

yeah but, no but, yeah but there aint more than 50 people contributing! lots of noise from a very few people. :thumbsup:

Social source share

One thing thats worth mentioning, I know of one well known dj and collector who has had dubs done of all his big records as he feels they are too valuable to take out and get ruined on rubbish quality decks, and he does have a point, but how is anyone to know that he actually has the originals?

Pete

To cover the risk to original vinyl aspect, would it be a lot cheaper and safer to transform them to CD? Better still, DVD or even Blue Ray - 1000's of mp3s on one disk.

also, I'm sure someone posted on here recently that Keb had sold all his stuff and cut it to 'carvers' disk recently, for the same reason?

Social source share

ROD

OHH YES! WELL POSTED, STRAIGHT INTO THE BACK OF THE NET!!!!!

:thumbsup::ohmy::lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

he doesn't have to play the original but it still should be in his box , if anyone were to ask he can show them the real one

Social source share

Like your own record you posted,your house thing,might have been legal in the European mainland,i think there called efta countrys?,but not here,but you posted it :ohmy: as your own,yet it was all samples,cant be right can it?.

Hope this is the right Phil,PhilD i hope,apologise if not :thumbsup:

Sorry Ken :lol: not me this time.

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Appologies, Beardsy infered it was a boot. Let's face it genuine re-issues are few and far between. Hands held up. :thumbsup:

Phil

Just got a first issue (Mint), if its still top of your wants list give me a call.

Social source share

Let's compare the scene to restaurants.

A. We have fast food joints like McDonalds that are relatively cheap are the same all over the world and which serve edible but not exceptional food which never changes to those who are prepared to accept it or have no other real choice..

B. We have privately owned restaurants that are quite a bit more expensive, vary from place to place, and serve great food cooked by talented chefs with a passion for food from menus that are changed.

The venues that play CDs are like the fast food restaurant chains. They dish up the same monster playlists which is all that those who attend them ask for.

The venues that play originals are like the independent restaurants. The playlsts will reflect the interest and acquistions of the deejays.

The problem is that the attraction of the small privatately owned restaurant would diminish for some if certain classic recipes were exclusively owned by certain chefs which is the case when we stipulate original vinyl only. But I would willingly forgo Steak Tartare ( let Mr Bean eat it all) and relish the lovingly prepared concoction of the cooks in the kitchen. And I think most food lovers would do likewise. What about lovers of rare soul?

Social source share

yeah but, no but, yeah but there aint more than 50 people contributing! lots of noise from a very few people. :thumbsup:

But just shows the passion involved from all aspects,

50 Peeps poss a few more have read, but havent posted, leaving it to the illiterate's like me to post on and on and on etc.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

So .reading through the thread ,my conclusion is this

CDs- are a big no no

Bootlegs - big no no

Reissues...ok under certain circumstances (strange)

have I got it right ?

Bazza

personally bazza, like i said, after thinking about it for a bit i don't personally care whether people play music on mp3s, cds or original/reissue vinyl. it's original vinyl only for me, but that's my choice and not up to me to try to impose my prejudices on anyone else (and there's a sentence i never thought i'd write :thumbsup: ).

Social source share

personally bazza, like i said, after thinking about it for a bit i don't personally care whether people play music on mp3s, cds or original/reissue vinyl. it's original vinyl only for me, but that's my choice and not up to me to try to impose my prejudices on anyone else (and there's a sentence i never thought i'd write :thumbsup: ).

Well Dan..I must agree, far to many people in this world trying to impose there beliefs and ideas on others,.live and let live ( to a certain extent of course )

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Appologies, Beardsy infered it was a boot. Let's face it genuine re-issues are few and far between. Hands held up. :thumbsup:

no offence taken, but there is enough booting going around and thats the problem, its not people buying them for indoors as whats the difference if you have it on cd, its the boots being played at an event thats the topic as there are many other tunes and very cheap to aquire at that that are not overplayed and should be getting played, i understand the arguments but its a fact it will always happen so its up to the individual to choose if he wants to hear original or boots at an event. we all know where to go and who to listen too if we want what rocks our boat.

keep it real and original !!!!!

Social source share

What does it matter so much if someone dosen't always play originals. If you can afford to buy originals so be it but if you can't what can you do?.

er, not be a DJ? It's not like there's a shortage. People will always collect records because they love the music, why not let them be the DJs, they have the most knowledge and are in the best position to find new tracks.

Without that culture, there wouldn't be any fucking re-issues, doesn't it follow then that that culture should be respected so that it continues. If the incentive to pay big money for new records was taken away, that would be it for new discoveries. If the incentive had been taken away 20 years ago, how many records would never have been discovered?

The point that gets missed a lot is that you can only have the knowledge to do a good, interesting set if you're an experienced collector.

So I guess a top DJ could do a good set off CDs, but that's not what we're talking baout is it. Even that would be too open to cheating!

Sure, a big DJ with a big collection might play 10 records that you can get on re-issues and wouldn't sound any different played off them, but it'll be the new tracks he / she plays that aren't re-issued that complete a good set, and that are essential for a good set.

DJing needs to be exciting and interesting. How exciting and interesting, and progressive will it be if you're playing tracks that get played everywhere and that everyone has at home?

re-ssues etc fine for back ground music in pubs or parties. But If you're asking people to travel, what are you offering them? Scenes like this require people to travel and people will only travel for something that's worth travelling for. A mug playing CDs, or even worse: fake originals, is not IMO. Not even worth paying for.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

he doesn't have to play the original but it still should be in his box , if anyone were to ask he can show them the real one

Now this is where the argument gets turned on its head :huh: . What this means is that its an ownership thing not a "hearing original vinyl" thing. I found out after a couple of years of collecting (not long ago then :thumbsup: ) that DJ's played boots or sometimes CD's of the really rare stuff because they either wanted to protect the original or the original's quality wasn't up to being played :thumbsup: .

I was really surprised and it made me step back and contemplate whether this means that its OK to play boots and/or CD's or whatever media as long as you take a box of records with you to prove ownership of what you've just played. And then you realise that that is ridiculous! :thumbsup:

Anyone can own rare records, you just have to be prepared to spend loads and loads of hard earned. To put together an interesting set takes skill and thought and knowledge and thats the difference. Some money is involved obviously but its not the b-all and end-all.

But at what point do you become a "big" enough DJ to enable you to play pressings of rare records without being slated for it?

Social source share

Anyone can own rare records, you just have to be prepared to spend loads and loads of hard earned. To put together an interesting set takes skill and thought and knowledge and thats the difference. Some money is involved obviously but its not the b-all and end-all.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So .reading through the thread ,my conclusion is this

CDs- are a big no no

Bootlegs - big no no

Reissues...ok under certain circumstances (strange)

have I got it right ?

Bazza

Got to agree Bazza with your confusion,

is a re-issue ok to dj with ?

2nd issue ok ?

uk issue ok ?

belgium, argentinian, german, french, etc etc ?

what about ep`s

what about lp`s

someone please reply as im trying to work out what tunes to play saturday night. lol :thumbsup:

Social source share

Okay and now what about the people who can't afford to buy Lou Pride for 1500 quid, Morris Chestnut for 400 quid and so on, they should be deprived of hearing and owning the record?

strange argument, anyone who wants to hear either can get them on CD and listen to them all day. If you want to dance to them, go and support one of the many clubs / DJs who will play them on original. The same people who will be finding the next Lou Pride or Morris Chesnut.

That supports the scene and you enjoy those records in a better, busier atmosphere, because others have made that decision too. Everyone's happy.

As for being 'deprived of owning a record'. What possible pleasure can owning a fake record provide? Surely owning a record is only of interest to a collector, if you're a collector why would you want a fake? If you cant afford an original, 'tough shit' springs to mind. Leave the DJing to someone who can.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!