Original Vinyl Or Nothing

Bazza

So my point is live & let live ! , if you feel that only vinyl originals should be played, go to those venues, if it dosen't bother you, go where you like. But don't knock or belittle people for doing either.

Here here :D

Social source share

• Replies 319
  • Views 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I like many, feel I should only play originals, if only out of respect for all those who work so hard to collect them. But I like hearing other DJ's that suprise me play interesting sets, rare and common records alike, mix together well. Rarely do I go up to the decks to see if it is an original that they are playing, I'm more interested in hearing good soul music.

Social source share

I like many, feel I should only play originals, if only out of respect for all those who work so hard to collect them

.. and those that worked so hard to produce them still get nothing?

Social source share

To bemoan the fact that the 'Hard Working Artists'¢Å¾¢ receive nothing from the playing of original 45s, yet host a website where you can basically bootleg entire CDs worth of material is a tad hypocritical i.m.h.o.

or is it me reading the comment the wrong way?

I must be a bit slow, what web site?

Social source share

jerry.gif

They're all around 700k - when a normal MP3 is sampled they usually come out at around 2500k - bit of a difference huh. No good resampling them either, would sound even worse! They purely are for listening on your computer to give you the choice of what you want to buy :D I hope the two on your website are poor quality too giggle.gif

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

.. and those that worked so hard to produce them still get nothing?

and. If I made my own cd....from soundfiles, cd's & tapes of awesome tunes, sent to me by other collectors...

I could play a great spot for the dancers, The artist would still get nowt, and I would be so ashamed...I'd probably top myself

Think I'll stick to original vinyl :lol:

Social source share

jerry.gif

They're all around 700k - when a normal MP3 is sampled they usually come out at around 2500k - bit of a difference huh. No good resampling them either, would sound even worse! They purely are for listening on your computer to give you the choice of what you want to buy :) I hope the two on your website are poor quality too giggle.gif

Got to agree with Karen on this, anyone with a reasonable appreciation of hi fi is not going to use these, most of them just arn't good enough quality & the same goes for the Soul club site. It's just a great way to hear tunes that you don't know & encourages you to go out & buy them on whatever format you choose !

I wonder how many of the people who bemoan these sites copy thier records & CD's for their mates, surely that practice does more damage !

So leave her alone & big it up for the Soulgirl !! whoo whoo ! :lol:

Social source share

I've closed the other 2 threads regarding Dancers and DJ'S as I only done it to see the Poll results...

Here goes...

DJ's first

Original Vinyl US Only = [14.81%]

Original Vinyl (us & uk issues) = [62.96%]

Vinyl (US, UK 1st and 2nd Issue) = [9.26%]

Vinyl (US, UK 1st and 2nd Issue) and CD's for CD only releases = [4.63%]

Which leaves

Original UK US Boots Reissues and CD's = [6.48%]

Original UK US Boots Reissues but not CD's = [1.85%]

So original vinyl has came off highest maybe that's what you would expect as its from the DJ's... and when you read the Original v Boot thread it's the dancers who just want to dance so what's the result there then

Original vinyl (US & UK) = [58.62%]

Originals, Boots or Reissues as long as its vinyl = [8.62%]

Don't care.. Original boots CD's reissues = [5.17%]

Really don't care any format at all as long as you can dance Originals reissues boots cd's Ipod Computer etc = [27.59%]

Again original Vinyl has come out on top with 58% of the dancers voting for what format they want to hear the music played on..

And with 62% US & UK and 14% just US...

Seems that when given a vote most members of soul source want to play and listen to Original vinyl... (your vote)

These figures come from soul source members.. So isn't fixed in any way you can all carry on back and forth but.. The silent members have also voted..

And it seems that the dancers do care what format it gets played on ...

Yeh yeh if I left it longer and given more people a chance to vote it would have been higher and so may the other thread, so it was done as fair as possible...

KEEP IT ORIGINAL SOUL SOURCE MEMBERS HAVE SPOKEN whistling.gif

One more thing..

59 votes in the dancers thread

109 votes in the dj's thread

off to bed now :thumbsup:

Edited by mischief
Social source share

I've been reading all the coments on here and I can see where people are coming from but it made me wonder, how many dj's on here play boots... getting away from what we think is right or wrong for a minute... I just wondered if dj's felt the same as the dancers... or is it a mix of people that think boots are fine or originals are fine...

gonna try and do a poll so we can see the result..

This post made me think: If it's fine and makes no difference to play boots & pressings then why has not one person come on and admitted to playing them? whistling.gif

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

This post made me think: If it's fine and makes no difference to play boots & pressings then why has not one person come on and admitted to playing them? :thumbsup:

I played some !! but not many boots because let's face it most are crap quality ! & also i don't pretend to be a proper DJ, but guess which records drew applause when played whistling.gif

As i said earlier i think it is down to where you play them, if it's cutting edge venue no, local soul night yes.

& just go to which you prefer end of story.

Social source share

I played some !! but not many boots because let's face it most are crap quality ! & also i don't pretend to be a proper DJ, but guess which records drew applause when played whistling.gif

As i said earlier i think it is down to where you play them, if it's cutting edge venue no, local soul night yes.

& just go to which you prefer end of story.

fair enough, but there's a lot of bullshit flying around in this topic. A lot of people say 'it doesn't matter' while quickly pointing out that they dont play boots, so it does obviously matter to them.

No one admits to playing boots.

Everyone is pretty much unanimous in their opinion of who the best DJs are, none of whom play boots. No one seems to dispute the DJ hierarchy. So if you accept that there's good DJs and not so good DJs, then you have to accept that if you play boots, you are one of the less good DJs.

So it might be irrational, or based partly on ritual and tradition. But it's the way it is. Be good at what you do, or 'less good' - i.e. shite. :lol:

By the way, I am not a Northen DJ or have any ambition to be one. It's just the high standards, commitment, attention to detail and purity of the scene is what makes me admire it.

I love the fact that the dancers DO care that the DJ is playing originals, it's sums up what the scene stands for from my, outsiders, point of view. High standards.

There, I've said it! :thumbsup:

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

fair enough, but there's a lot of bullshit flying around in this topic. A lot of people say 'it doesn't matter' while quickly pointing out that they dont play boots, so it does obviously matter to them.

No one admits to playing boots.

Everyone is pretty much unanimous in their opinion of who the best DJs are, none of whom play boots. No one seems to dispute the DJ hierarchy. So if you accept that there's good DJs and not so good DJs, then you have to accept that if you play boots, you are one of the less good DJs.

So it might be irrational, or based partly on ritual and tradition. But it's the way it is. Be good or 'less good' - i.e. shite. :lol:

By the way, I am not a Northen DJ or have any ambition to be one. It's just the high standards, commitment, attention to detail and purity of the scene is what makes me admire it.

I love the fact that the dancers DO care that the DJ is playing originals, it's sums up what the scene stands for from my, outsiders, point of view. High standards.

There, I've said it! :thumbsup:

Respect your views Mik whistling.gif But how do you know the dancers do care ? If you are going by the above poll, that's just a bit of fun. It's like saying Labour got into power because 0.005 % of UK voted for them.

Please no political deluge, just using it as an example :yes:

Social source share

Avast,

I'd say that it says more about your choice of originals to play (i.e. crap) that the boots were drawing the applause....

Yarr.

Social source share

Respect your views Mik whistling.gif But how do you know the dancers do care ? If you are going by the above poll, that's just a bit of fun. It's like saying Labour got into power because 0.005 % of UK voted for them.

Please no political deluge, just using it as an example :thumbsup:

well, I get the impression that the Northern scene is generally united in loving the quirky traditions and aspects of DJing, collecting & dancing etc.

The people I've met speak about things like record values, and the playing of originals, with some sort of pride, even if they dont collect themselves.

It's the standards and quirks that made the scene such an enigmatic beast, that has real fame and credibilty, sort of against the odds if you dont mind me saying!

Basically, the 'original only' rule i always assumed was enforced to ensure that the best collectors, providing they were also good DJs, got the DJing jobs and no one could 'cut corners'. Surely it's in everyone's interests to have the most commited and passionate people DJing?

Collectors just will have the big records. So it's not so much a case of 'why not boots' but 'why boots?'.

For me, complaining about elitism on a scene like this is like complaining about the Navy wearing silly uniforms. It may be quirky and sometimes irrational, but it helps make it what it is.

The Northern scene is famous the world over and that's not for playing the same shit over and over offa fake 45s is it? When there's a documentary about it, they focus on the cover ups, 'discovering' and 'breaking' of records, prices etc?

Why? because it shows the excitement and competitiveness that only occurs when people want the best and are passionate about something. When you hear about the 70s cover ups and stuff, who thinks 'what silly elitism'? or who thinks how exciting that must have been...for the DJs and the punters?

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Avast,

I'd say that it says more about your choice of originals to play (i.e. crap) that the boots were drawing the applause....

Yarr.

Oi any more comments like that & i will set fire to yer wooden leg !! whistling.gif

Social source share

For me, complaining about elitism on a scene like this is like complaining about the Navy wearing silly uniforms. It may be quirky and sometimes irrational, but it helps make it what it is.

What do you reckon on that score Mr Dog ? whistling.gif

Social source share

well, I get the impression that the Northern scene is generally united in loving the quirky traditions and aspects of DJing, collecting & dancing etc.

The people I've met speak about things like record values, and the playing of originals, with some sort of pride, even if they dont collect themselves.

It's the standards and quirks that made the scene such an enigmatic beast, that has real fame and credibilty, sort of against the odds if you dont mind me saying!

Basically, the 'original only' rule i always assumed was enforced to ensure that the best collectors, providing they were also good DJs, got the DJing jobs and no one could 'cut corners'. Surely it's in everyone's interests to have the most commited and passionate people DJing?

Collectors just will have the big records. So it's not so much a case of 'why not boots' but 'why boots?'.

The Northern scene is famous the world over and that's not for playing the same shit over and over offa fake 45s is it? When there's a documentary about it, they focus on the cover ups, 'discovering' and 'breaking' of records, prices etc?

Why? because it shows the excitement and competitiveness that only occurs when people want the best and are passionate about something. When you hear about the 70s cover ups and stuff, who thinks 'what silly elitism'? or who thinks how exciting that must have been...for the DJs and the punters?

Not complaining Mik, all i have ever said on the subject is pay your money & take your choice but don't go on at people for taking either view .

Aharr,

There's nothing silly about a frilly shirt and breeches.

Ideal togs for tomfoolery.

Yarr.

:thumbsup::lol::yes: Your a legend whistling.gif

Social source share

I've closed the other 2 threads regarding Dancers and DJ'S as I only done it to see the Poll results...

Here goes...

DJ's first

Original Vinyl US Only = [14.81%]

Original Vinyl (us & uk issues) = [62.96%]

Vinyl (US, UK 1st and 2nd Issue) = [9.26%]

Vinyl (US, UK 1st and 2nd Issue) and CD's for CD only releases = [4.63%]

Which leaves

Original UK US Boots Reissues and CD's = [6.48%]

Original UK US Boots Reissues but not CD's = [1.85%]

So original vinyl has came off highest maybe that's what you would expect as its from the DJ's... and when you read the Original v Boot thread it's the dancers who just want to dance so what's the result there then

Original vinyl (US & UK) = [58.62%]

Originals, Boots or Reissues as long as its vinyl = [8.62%]

Don't care.. Original boots CD's reissues = [5.17%]

Really don't care any format at all as long as you can dance Originals reissues boots cd's Ipod Computer etc = [27.59%]

Again original Vinyl has come out on top with 58% of the dancers voting for what format they want to hear the music played on..

And with 62% US & UK and 14% just US...

Seems that when given a vote most members of soul source want to play and listen to Original vinyl... (your vote)

These figures come from soul source members.. So isn't fixed in any way you can all carry on back and forth but.. The silent members have also voted..

And it seems that the dancers do care what format it gets played on ...

Yeh yeh if I left it longer and given more people a chance to vote it would have been higher and so may the other thread, so it was done as fair as possible...

KEEP IT ORIGINAL SOUL SOURCE MEMBERS HAVE SPOKEN whistling.gif

One more thing..

59 votes in the dancers thread

109 votes in the dj's thread

Conclusive evidence then! All these votes from a meagre membership of 3,500! eusa_clap.gif(post-1535-1155516593.gifeusa_clap.gif(post-1535-1155516593.gifeusa_clap.gif(post-1535-1155516593.gif

Social source share

Good post Mike! whistling.gif

I don't know what you do for a living, but if you ain't a writer, you should be!

PS. re your previous post.. you are not an outsider!

PPS. I collect OV, (don't worry too much any more what others do), but I'm still one of the "shite" DJ's :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's the standards and quirks that made the scene such an enigmatic beast, that has real fame and credibilty, sort of against the odds if you don't mind me saying!

Mik,

I'd just like to say that I have agreed whole heartedly with everything you have written on this subject. And you have expressed yourself very eloquently, and so much better than my feeble attempts.....

I look forward to meeting you at Middleton, and would be pleased to buy you a drink....

Best regards, Phil.

Social source share

Mik,

I'd just like to say that I have agreed whole heartedly with everything you have written on this subject. And you have expressed yourself very eloquently, and so much better than my feeble attempts.....

I look forward to meeting you at Middleton, and would be pleased to buy you a drink....

Best regards, Phil.

Thanks Phil, be nice to meet you.

I just think the world is becoming a very bland, soul-less, dispassionate and uniform place, with most entertainment and standards dictated by corporations and commitees.

Therefore I reckon that self governed cultures like this, that are built on high standards and commitment, not bullshiting, chancing, smooth talking and corner-cutting, should be preserved and appreciated.

It's so easy now everything is available at the touch of a computer key, to forget what spirit it was that made the music in the first place and then what spirit it was that created the culture to appreciate that music.

It's a culture of seemingly irrational effort: Getting a string and horn section and band in to make a 2 minute masterpiece that would barely sell 200 copies. Doing a 500 mile round trip for a night out dancing to it. Paying a months wages for it.

None of it was built on it being easy. It's the work that goes into something that makes something good. With musicians it's practise. With DJs it's knowledge and experience. And that's something you can't download or bootleg.

If people have to make that bit more effort, pay that bit more money, you know they mean it and the gene-pool of the scene improves, adding to it's reputation and legend.

Sorry about all this, i'm in some sort of Braveheart mood this week :lol:

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Guest Dodger

I think some people get the word 'passion' mixed up with 'obsession'. The passion is what we ALL feel for the music, the obsession is relative to how we like to collect and play our music. Nobody can tell me I'm less passionate about soul music than they are just because I don't put all the emphasis on what medium I collect my music on, in fact there' an argument that I'm actually more passionate the music than they are because the music is my prime consideration.

Social source share

I think some people get the word 'passion' mixed up with 'obsession'. The passion is what we ALL feel for the music, the obsession is relative to how we like to collect and play our music. Nobody can tell me I'm less passionate about soul music than they are just because I don't put all the emphasis on what medium I collect my music on, in fact there' an argument that I'm actually more passionate the music than they are because the music is my prime consideration.

Good point Dodger ,Im with you on that one m8ty

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

but we're not talking about general 'soul people' are we? we're talking about DJs. People who have already decided to be a DJ. For that you need something else as well as passion. And you hit the nail on the head: obsession.

Sure anyone can be as passionate about music as the best DJ, and the clearly are - hence all the dancers and people who travel to do's etc.

You can be the sort of DJ who strolls down to a record shop and buys the latest biggies on boot, or you can be the sort who is obsessed with finding new stuff, obsessed with getting all the tracks they love, the type who wants to be aware of every soul track in the world in case there's another one to play out there somewhere.

So I'll agree with you, everyone on the scene has passion. What you need to be a good DJ is passion for soul music and an obsession for records.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

Well said Roger, but false arguments.

I could say you are obsessed with the music to the extent that you are willing to obtain it in any medium, so you're not more passionate than me because I prefer original vinyl.

The view I hold now, and it has changed over the years, is quite simple.

I DJ using original vinyl. It's my choice, so I won't accept criticism over it, I don't think that choice has ever stopped me getting a booking, but I'm also sure it has ensured that I have got some bookings.

Remember though, I only have my own standards to live up to. If you DJ using bootlegs, that's your choice, and your standards.

Social source share

I could say you are obsessed with the music to the extent that you are willing to obtain it in any medium, so you're not more passionate than me because I prefer original vinyl.

I DJ using original vinyl. It's my choice, so I won't accept criticism over it, I don't think that choice has ever stopped me getting a booking, but I'm also sure it has ensured that I have got some bookings.

Remember though, I only have my own standards to live up to. If you DJ using bootlegs, that's your choice, and your standards.

standards exist that aren't just subjective though. Like the standard of trumpet playing or brain surgery. I think this scene has set a standard already with regards to DJing.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

OK fair enough, I suppose the use of the words passion and obsession could be used subjectively, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. :thumbsup:

The thing is Dave, I don't think anyone would criticise you for DJ'ing using original vinyl, it's a shame it doesn't work the other way with many people. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for doing what they believe in, the only thing I would criticise anyone for is criticising others.

I also don't think it's particularly a case of 'standards' with regard to whether you play boots or originals, because that's just getting back to being judgemental about others - there's no good and bad, there's no high and low standards with regard to the medium that your music's on, there's only opinion and belief about it all, and to me that's quite different. Surely 'standards' only apply to HOW you DJ and not what you DJ with?

But I do agree with you, and I said it myself, just uphold your own principles and don't worry about what others are doing and you won't go far wrong. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest rachel

The thing is Dave, I don't think anyone would criticise you for DJ'ing using original vinyl

Couple of people have said (can't remember if it was early in this thread or in one of the others) that they have indeed had negative comments for playing only originals...

Social source share

oh i was called a snob and an elitist on another forum (a mod one) but then i take them as compliments lolol

That's what you get for putting Neil Sedaka on one of your playlists :P:yes:

But it was a request - so that makes it ok :P

Hammy

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

That's what you get for putting Neil Sedaka on one of your playlists :P:yes:

But it was a request - so that makes it ok :P

Hammy

not at all :D i would have played it anyway , brilliant danceable tune

Social source share

not at all :P i would have played it anyway , brilliant danceable tune

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

But not soul, gritty soul, or the roots of the music - on original vinyl though ... which is crucial since a flood of " Oh Carol" bootlegs in the mid 70s :P:yes:

Hammy

Social source share

OK fair enough, I suppose the use of the words passion and obsession could be used subjectively, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. :yes:

The thing is Dave, I don't think anyone would criticise you for DJ'ing using original vinyl, it's a shame it doesn't work the other way with many people. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for doing what they believe in, the only thing I would criticise anyone for is criticising others.

I also don't think it's particularly a case of 'standards' with regard to whether you play boots or originals, because that's just getting back to being judgemental about others - there's no good and bad, there's no high and low standards with regard to the medium that your music's on, there's only opinion and belief about it all, and to me that's quite different. Surely 'standards' only apply to HOW you DJ and not what you DJ with?

But I do agree with you, and I said it myself, just uphold your own principles and don't worry about what others are doing and you won't go far wrong. :P

but Dodger, playing original vinyl is about so much more than the format. It isn't a case of orginal vinyl makes you a good DJ, it's a case of a good DJ will have original vinyl. Because a good DJ will be a collector, an expert who has the original vinyl before the bootlegs & re-issues come out, and still has it after. That's the standard.

I dont know how many different ways i can phrase it.

Social source share

oh i was called a snob and an elitist on another forum (a mod one) but then i take them as compliments lolol

And quite rightly too (taking them as compliments).

That is how I describe Northern Soul to people who don't know anything about it. It is an elitist soul snob thing cos we want the obscure and hard to find not the hits, the run of the mill etc I want the original format that the artist recorded on, I want to look at the label and read the credits and feel that I've got a link to the past. I like to think that the artist may have held this vinyl in his hand and possibly touted it round radio stations in an attempt to get it plays. I love the little red crosses that DJ's at 60's radio stations put on demos to remind them which side to play and how good the track is, I like them better when they are on the "wrong" side :P . I want to feel the hairs on the back of my neck rise when I put a newly arrived rare original on my decks and hear it play for the first time on my bit of vinyl. I want to hear the music fill my head. I want to play my records out in the hope that other people feel the same way and appreciate what I've collected and the way I've put my set together. I want to go and hear others play their records out and hear what they are collecting and what they think is good. I want to dance in my own clumsy way to the sounds that other people put together to make a set at that time on that night. I want to hear new sounds. I want to hear classics. I want to nod appreciatively and get up and dance to a record that is fantastic but probably unattainable to me due to either rarity or cost: "well done mate for finding and getting that and playing it out so I can share it"

Soul snobbery and elitism .... YES PLEASE! BRING IT ON!

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Guest Dodger

And quite rightly too (taking them as compliments).

That is how I describe Northern Soul to people who don't know anything about it. It is an elitist soul snob thing cos we want the obscure and hard to find not the hits, the run of the mill etc I want the original format that the artist recorded on, I want to look at the label and read the credits and feel that I've got a link to the past. I like to think that the artist may have held this vinyl in his hand and possibly touted it round radio stations in an attempt to get it plays. I love the little red crosses that DJ's at 60's radio stations put on demos to remind them which side to play and how good the track is, I like them better when they are on the "wrong" side :P . I want to feel the hairs on the back of my neck rise when I put a newly arrived rare original on my decks and hear it play for the first time on my bit of vinyl. I want to hear the music fill my head. I want to play my records out in the hope that other people feel the same way and appreciate what I've collected and the way I've put my set together. I want to go and hear others play their records out and hear what they are collecting and what they think is good. I want to dance in my own clumsy way to the sounds that other people put together to make a set at that time on that night. I want to hear new sounds. I want to hear classics. I want to nod appreciatively and get up and dance to a record that is fantastic but probably unattainable to me due to either rarity or cost: "well done mate for finding and getting that and playing it out so I can share it"

Soul snobbery and elitism .... YES PLEASE! BRING IT ON!

Now THAT is what I'd call passion. :yes:

My take on snobbery and elitism is if you think you're better than somebody for being what you are or liking what you like. I don't see any evidence of that there, Paul. Great post.

Roger

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

But not soul, gritty soul, or the roots of the music - on original vinyl though ... which is crucial since a flood of " Oh Carol" bootlegs in the mid 70s :P:P

Hammy

i can maybe get away with it if i say "uptempo popcorn "? :yes:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

i can maybe get away with it if i say "uptempo popcorn "? :P

Davie saying that on here is like slashing your wrists...then jumping into shark infested water :yes:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie saying that on here is like slashing your wrists...then jumping into shark infested water :yes:

hey Linda , if the sharks feel hard enough then bring em on :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!