Does Every (Wo)Man Have Their Price (Limit)?

Simon T

I’ve just seen Arin Demain up for auction and it reminded me of when I was collecting and had an ever increasing ‘limit’ to what I would pay for a record. I think the limits went £3, then £5, £10, £20, £50, £100 and so forth.  I remember thinking how could I justify paying £15 for a Ray Pollard record, and it’s not even ‘The Drifter’, and I’d certainly not go up to £40 for a Jimmy Bo Horne title!  

At the £20 limit I returned from Melton Mowbray with a copy of Holly St. James (@£10) having turned down Arin Demain for £50 and Larry Clinton for £75.

Anyone else set limits and did you ever keep to them?

Social source share

I’ve just seen Arin Demain up for auction and it reminded me of when I was collecting and had an ever increasing ‘limit’ to what I would pay for a record. I think the limits went £3, then £5, £10, £20, £50, £100 and so forth.  I remember thinking how could I justify paying £15 for a Ray Pollard record, and it’s not even ‘The Drifter’, and I’d certainly not go up to £40 for a Jimmy Bo Horne title!  

At the £20 limit I returned from Melton Mowbray with a copy of Holly St. James (@£10) having turned down Arin Demain for £50 and Larry Clinton for £75.

Anyone else set limits and did you ever keep to them?

Only started collecting again recently Simon - after selling up.

Said I'd just buy good but really cheap records....................and the really cheap number just keeps creeping up!  :facepalm:

Hope you're well matey.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Simon. I remember I was going to pay £80 in 1978 for Bobby Paris. I walked away. which as a apprentice fitter was more than a months wages at the time, so I guess I had set a limit subconsciously even then. Many years later it had risen to £300 then it went to whatever I could afford / justify 

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

As part of the digital-generation I've only been collecting vinyl since last Christmas and vowed only to buy affordable cheap records that I have a genuine liking for... I have no interest in owning a 45 purely because it's rare... I started out with cheapies like Don't Waste Your Time by The Five Stairsteps at £4, but since then the prices have been creeping up... Electrifying Cashmeres for £50 and a Tamiko Jones track from J. Manship for more as it was totally mint and I "had to have it"... I can see how things can get a bit out of hand....!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!