ROYAL REGENCY SOUL night

Friday(NOV 26, 2004)

MAIN(Northern Soul Anthems-Oldies)

8.30 Sam Moore

10 Neil Jones(guest)

11.30 Nige Brown(guest)

12.30 Chris King

1 Close

Co-op Room(Ilkeston Classics-Motown etc)

8.30 GUEST DJ

9.30 Chris King

11.30 Wayne Kennedy

1 Close

MODERN SOUL/DISCO ANTHEMS(upstairs)

9pm Phil Kingswood

11.00 Colin Curtis

1am Close

CONNOISSEURS(upstairs-Rarities/R&B/Collectors items-No oldies)

9pm Mick Payne

10.00 Nige Brown

10.45 Andy Riley

11.45 John Poole

1am Close

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys. This the nicest crowd I have seen at a venue.

A fantatic Friday night out-check it out!

link

Nige Brown and Neil Jones guesting this FRIDAY. A super, super night!

I urge everyone to pay this gig a visit. Absolutely fan -bloody- tastic!

Highlights;

Room 1(Northern classics); Clever, Intelligent sets from Nige Brown, Neil Jones and Sam Moore.

Room 2(Motown /Club Soul) Chris King/Wayne Kennedy re-creating 1968 to perfection!

Room 3(Connoisseurs)Nige, Mick Payne, Andy Riley, John Poole. Mick H back as a resident from Feb.

Room 4(Modern) Colin Curtis..the master and Phil Kingswod.

BEST FEEL GOOD NIGHT IN THE UK

Back last Friday from JAN 2005

Royal Regency, Ilkeston, Derbys.

I urge everyone to pay this gig a visit. Absolutely fan -bloody- tastic!

Highlights;

Room 1(Northern classics); Clever, Intelligent sets from Nige Brown, Neil Jones and Sam Moore.

Room 2(Motown /Club Soul) Chris King/Wayne Kennedy re-creating 1968 to perfection!

Room 3(Connoisseurs)Nige, Mick Payne, Andy Riley, John Poole. Mick H back as a resident from Feb.

Room 4(Modern) Colin Curtis..the master and Phil Kingswod.

BEST FEEL GOOD NIGHT IN THE UK

Back last Friday from JAN 2005

Royal Regency, Ilkeston, Derbys.

link

Not too far away from me, might pop over next time, the Connoisseurs room looks interesting :thumbsup:

JM

Connoisseurs room was quiet last night in fact there were alot less in overall than last time I went about 4 months ago.

Some good stuff played in the conn room but John Poole was playing to an empty floor after 12 o'clock.

Went into the main northern room for a bit and got the impression that it had been taken over by the handbag crowd.

Went into the handbag room near the end and the floor was packed with couples smooching to a slowie...... I nearly puked, was I really at a soul night or had I wandered into the local night club by mistake?

Sorry but this isnt what the soul scene is about for me

Quotes from KR " I urge everyone to pay this gig a visit " Is this cos numbers are down Kev?

" Absolutely fan-bloody-tastic! " Thats a matter of opinion I got the impression a lot of people left early.

Apologies if this upsets anyone - alot of people obviously enjoy what KR is serving up here but like I said its a far cry from the scene I grew up with from 74.

Right I'll sit back and wait for the flak to start flying! Over to you Kev.

P.S. I've put this post up as an alternative or balance to the endless self publicity of the K.R. money making machine.

Guest biggray1

Must agree with you there Steve :) we was there that night and it was as you say but we had a good time anyways. Kev as a following so he caters for it! his handbag nights at Mansfield coop was the same!Shame realy if there wasnt so much back stabbing between promoters and there likes it wouldnt be like it is today at these typo venues! asoon as someone recognises theres a easy buck to be had its mans instinct to earn it!

Steve, Ray ta for the comments. Generally we get knocked by 'connoisseurs', this time that particular room comes under fire!

To pull numbers like that you have to marry nostalgia with rare, something we are good at. We will not please everyone all of the time.

I rate the gig highly and we had our best attendance this year.

Hopefully you will check us out again.

Some good stuff played in the conn room but John Poole was playing to an empty floor after 12 o'clock.

Went into the main northern room for a bit and got the impression that it had been taken over by the handbag crowd. 

Went into the handbag room near the end and the floor was packed with couples smooching to a slowie...... I nearly puked, was I really at a soul night or had I wandered into the local night club by mistake?

link

There certainly was some good stuff played in the connoisseurs room and the floor was certainly NOT empty for John Poole's excellent set! Think the flow was disrupted a bit in there by the one dodgy deck...hope nobody had any records damaged! Music though- top notch.

Agree about the Northern room. Spent a few minutes in there but soon tired of getting jostled on the floor by pissheads and avoiding the beer spillage.

Went with some friends who like the modern stuff and they really rated the fare served up in the modern room, was certainly buzzing for the half hour or so that I was in there.

There certainly was some good stuff played in the connoisseurs room and the floor was certainly NOT empty for John Poole's excellent set! Think the flow was disrupted a bit in there by the one dodgy deck...hope nobody had any records damaged! Music though- top notch.

link

Well we were in there too and enjoyed hearing something a bit different. It was the most packed I'd seen it in there when we arrived around 10.30 but did thin out later on. There again 4 rooms to wander if that's what you want to do.

Didn't even venture into the other rooms at all though so can't add any comments there.

gaye