Reminiscing

Hi,

Originally from Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts living these days in New York. 

Watching the film has got me reminiscing about Wigan days , circa 79-81. Used to go with the lads from Kirkby - Coops (Lee Cooper), Mark Parker, Kev Guy, Andy Geeson, Twinny, Jacko, Harry. We'd get the service bus from Mansfield. used to take forever. Brilliant memories. Lost touch with all those guys years ago. Wonder if any of them are on here. Anybody remember them?

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just put this up on "members shouts" but thought i'd put it here as well.

Watching the film has had me reminiscing all about the Wigan times. For me it was circa 79-81. Originally from Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts, living these days in New York. Went to Wigan as a 15/16 year old with the Kirkby lads - Coops ( Lee Cooper ), Kev Guy, Andy Geeson, Twinny, Mark Parker, Jacko, Harry. We used to get the service bus from Mansfield and then the train - would take forever to get there. Great memories. We used to do the Sunday all dayers at Notts Palais as well. 

Lost touch with all of the guys years ago and wondered if any of them are on here? Think I saw a photo of Coop at a Grosvenor Rooms do last year?  Does anyone remember any of those guys?

Social source share

Posted on your other thread Daz,

Kev Guy is /was still around used to see him at The Bentinck nights that Cressy and Mark Hopes did along with others.Saw Coops at North Wingfield ,i've only been once though.Do you know Windy.? (Rob Miller)

I used to go places with Tats,Roose,Nige Willets,Curly... and the Mansfield Crew.

Social source share

Wow, not seen Kev for about 25 years! So he still gets around then. There was also Wayne Cooper - Lee's cousin. What about Geeson? 

I remember Windy. Also the other Mansfield lads Dean Greenway ( RIP) , Siggy, Paul Wheatcroft, Andy Lawley etc,. 

Last time I saw Mark ( Parker ) was at a soul night at the "Stoot" in Kirkby about 12 years ago. That was run by Mark Hopes if I remember right. 

I get back over a couple of times a year and always try to get to a do. I'll have to get down to Bentinck. Im due back next around Nov 14. 

Social source share

Hi Kev,

Last time I saw Mark must be around 12 years ago at the Stoot soul nite. Hows he doing? He always had the top record collection back in the day. 

NYCs good. Actually went to see Dean Parrish last week in Brooklyn. Brilliant night. I get back home couple of times a year and always try to get to a do. I'll have to get down to Bentinck. When the next one cos Im back around Nov 14. 

Social source share

hi Daz, Bentinck is closed now, do you mean the Grosvenor in Sutton, 3rd Saturday every month? 

Cheers

PS sometimes used to get the same bus to Manchester with mates from Mansfield, but Camm's Coach from the Britt was the favourite mode of transport in that era for convenience and speed

Cheers

Jona

Social source share

Posted on your other thread Daz,

Kev Guy is /was still around used to see him at The Bentinck nights that Cressy and Mark Hopes did along with others.Saw Coops at North Wingfield ,i've only been once though.Do you know Windy.? (Rob Miller)

I used to go places with Tats,Roose,Nige Willets,Curly... and the Mansfield Crew

Was Nigel willets the plant engineer? I'm sure I worked with him about 5 yrs ago, last saw him at Skeg Grov weekender 

Social source share

hi Daz, Bentinck is closed now, do you mean the Grosvenor in Sutton, 3rd Saturday every month? 

Cheers

PS sometimes used to get the same bus to Manchester with mates from Mansfield, but Camm's Coach from the Britt was the favourite mode of transport in that era for convenience and speed

Cheers

Jona

Didn't realise Bentinck had bit the dust. I usually try to get to  the Grosvenor if it coincides with my trips back to UK. Its the only soul do I've ever been able to walk to as its only down the road from me ma's! 

Social source share

Was Nigel willets the plant engineer? I'm sure I worked with him about 5 yrs ago, last saw him at Skeg Grov weekender 

Not sure,but seem to think he was involved in that some time back.As for the Stute (EKMW),i used to go there and did a couple or warm ups for Mark & Mark.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!