Rita & The Tiaras - Gone With The Wind "official Re-Issue"?

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Guest MissHongkongfuey

It's not often I want to buy a northern classic but when I do, I'm  usually out of my depth price-wise and most often, I'll leave well alone.

BUT..... I do fancy a copy of this record. I took a look on Popsike to see that in it's original form it sells for way more than I can afford, but I then noticed what was advertised as a "legit re-issue" that had been sold previously over the years.

post-5150-0-76613700-1414480767_thumb.jp

Could some kind person confirm this for me please. With so many look-a-like boots and so many gullible buyers (that includes myself) It seems like this one and the Kent re-issue are my only hopes of affording one but if it's just a plain old boot, then I'll exclude it.

Any help appreciated

Teresa

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

You are indeed a lucky Man Dave! I don't know anything about the label and it's history but I do know it's an attractive lookin' thing :) 

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Morning Martyn,

Both Myself and Him Indoors have had a Destiny copy and both have this awful "swooshing" sound running through the first 30 secs of the song. Possibly a really unlucky coincidence but just can't listen to it and never bothered replacing it.

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Thanks Both Tim & Pete and all that have replied.

Definitely a really unlucky coincidence as I presume you've come across a few of the Destiny copies over the years Pete. The instrumental has drawn me, so I'll buy the Kent, still look out for the Dore re-issue as it's pretty and legit also and I'll try to clean up the destiny one to see of it can play any better too!

Merci

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

The Dore look alike legit reissue plays superb and you do feel a step nearer to the h grail ha

I will no doubt be shouting up for one of these in "wants" also :yes: 

Social source share

I think that lookalike at the top was done by Joe Boy Records so it's totally legit as they had the rights at the time.

p.s. I've got a destiny demo and issue and can't hear any problems

Joe Boy released it on a "JoeBoy" picture sleeve & was the full length / extra verse version. 

Would they have re-issued it on Dore as well ? I guess a lot of people prefer a US lookalike & it was the original short version.  

Hmm possibly answered my own question :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

There`s also a great version by Gloria Jones & the Tiara`s, Previously unnissued and supposedly the original cut.

And on the clip is the cracking flip side!

https://youtu.be/ammfqmO_KrA

You know Steve, I was playing this on JMs site yesterday and have it in the shopping trolley on ebay right this minute

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

It's not often I want to buy a northern classic but when I do, I'm  usually out of my depth price-wise and most often, I'll leave well alone.

BUT..... I do fancy a copy of this record. I took a look on Popsike to see that in it's original form it sells for way more than I can afford, but I then noticed what was advertised as a "legit re-issue" that had been sold previously over the years.

attachicon.gifrita.jpg

Could some kind person confirm this for me please. With so many look-a-like boots and so many gullible buyers (that includes myself) It seems like this one and the Kent re-issue are my only hopes of affording one but if it's just a plain old boot, then I'll exclude it.

Any help appreciated

Teresa

it would be the kent release everytime for me, no brainer really. at least you can trust that Ady will have been through all the legit channels

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

attachicon.gifrita.jpg

Any help appreciated

Teresa

Bootleg, Pressing, Look-a-like, Legal Reissue or whatever is all the same, none of them are an Original!

Also if Secret Stash records can get new great quality 45rpm records manufactured and marketed and sell them for $5 each, why are all these other remakes so expensive?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Got an absolutely wrecked original so bought the Destiny and the Jay Boy over the years both absolutely fine to play out and when asked over the years there was that DaDa moment as I pulled my knackered one out of the back of the box, those days are gone and I don't carry it around anymore but would never sell it anyway despite John Hillel badgering me for the last 15 years!

Social source share

Well that's an interesting spin on the eternal OVO debate: buy an unplayable copy of a record for pennies and use it to justify playing reissues.

Readers! Can't afford to play expensive records but still wanna be a DJ? Why not just photocopy the label of your wrecked originals and stick em on boots :lol:

This has been done for years though, by top DJ's as well (the playing of boots because they own an original that doesn't play). The one I heard about ages ago was Lady In Green.

I (half-jokingly) suggested that this practice would make it OK from an OVO perspective to record your originals into digital format, play your set off your laptop and hold up each record as it was being played.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rita told us that she never met the Tiaras and she just sang the vocals over the prerecorded backing track.

Was this track prepared for Gloria originally ? 

Copyright of this recording is owned by Lou Barreto who had the following information about the recording:

The Gloria Jones cut "Gone with the wind is my Love" was recorded prior to the Rita version..."Rita used the same tracks as on the Gloria version......the Tiaras did the backup vocals with Gloria.....Hence, The Gloria 8 track recording is the same track that Rita recorded on.....The time frame was the same.....same year, about a month apart.....we had to replace Gloria with Rita within a 4/ 6 week period....we were in the studio with Gloria Jones of "Tainted Love" for almost 3 hours until we got the sound out of her that we wanted, from line to line..........The sound we got out of Gloria was a new sound, a new Gloria Jones.....it did not sound like any of Gloria's other songs such as Tainted Love. The reason why the Gloria recording was never released was " due to disagreements with Gloria's management group."

(by Lou Barreto)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

thanks Steve for the Lou Baretto information, clears a lot of questioning and puts a timeframe to things. By the way Godzilla, you'd just have stopped playing the record altogether when it got knackered instead of sourcing a legitimate reissue that didn't hiss, crackle and pop? You can't deny me a little pleasure in my dotage.

Social source share

Im impressed!

This record defines WC for me, although it was covered up in my day.

Superbs have got it all for me on this label.

I'm a big Bobby Swayne fan, the Superbs were an amazing outfit.  Check out Bee Gee Kay's version of I Only Cry Once A Day, there's four versions on Dore as far as I can remember, Lynn Loring, Tracey Williams and The Puffs being the others, the only two worth listening to are The Puffs, and the much superior Bee Gee Kay. Bought my copy of GWTW in 1981 on a quick business trip to Los Angeles from Japan for $10, along with other Dore bits.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Godzilla,that'll teach me .

By the way Godzilla, you'd just have stopped playing the record altogether when it got knackered instead of sourcing a legitimate reissue that didn't hiss, crackle and pop? You can't deny me a little pleasure in my dotage.

Hey Ponty - sorry if I struck a nerve mate.

To be honest what you play and where is absolutely nothing to do with me, so fill your boots. Although I broadly support the OVO approach in terms of Northern Soul type events, I also really enjoy some of the anomalies and contradictions it throws up. The sort of self-talk used by those who support the principle of OVO yet want to rationalise their playing of re-releases is a wonderful example of that.

Social source share

playing a boot but carrying a knackered original to justify it is in all seriousness one of the most demented things I've ever heard of.

you just couldn't make that shit up...how all the crap we fill the world with just serves to make simple things complicated, great things ridiculous...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm a big Bobby Swayne fan, the Superbs were an amazing outfit. Check out Bee Gee Kay's version of I Only Cry Once A Day, there's four versions on Dore as far as I can remember, Lynn Loring, Tracey Williams and The Puffs being the others, the only two worth listening to are The Puffs, and the much superior Bee Gee Kay. Bought my copy of GWTW in 1981 on a quick business trip to Los Angeles from Japan for $10, along with other Dore bits.

the Bee Gee Kay is a swinging country version of the song.
Social source share

Morning Martyn,

Both Myself and Him Indoors have had a Destiny copy and both have this awful "swooshing" sound running through the first 30 secs of the song. Possibly a really unlucky coincidence but just can't listen to it and never bothered replacing it.

Mine has that sound too.  However the  bonus of the Destiny release is flip it over and you've got the amazing "Wild Times"  instrumental :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!