Skull Snaps Lp

Ian Seaman

Seriously?  I'd have thought only American on original.  And they were manufacturing those in 1975 because some of them adapted the sleeve to include a sticker saying "Includes the hit I'm Your Pimp" despite it not being issued as a 45.  Those were being sold up to as late as 1978 for around £5.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know of a french 1973 press on Pathé Marconi-EMI and another one from Venezuela. 

Mine is a 1973 US press without sticker on cover.

Edit: I had a reissue of it a few years,ago,  the paper label was bright unlike the original which looks dull.

Edited by Weego
Social source share

I know of a french 1973 press on Pathé Marconi-EMI and another one from Venezuela. 

Mine is a 1973 US press without sticker on cover.

No what I was saying was, they added the stickers in 1975 (well they aren't stickers, it's actually printed onto the cardboard but looks like a sticker)

Social source share

But why release it in Italy - an unknown soul group?

The same can be said for tens of thousands of records by virtually unknown or previously non-successful artists that have been released around the globe.

Record labels take chances, or at least they should do. Throw thirty things on a wall and one might stick.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The same can be said for tens of thousands of records by virtually unknown or previously non-successful artists that have been released around the globe.

Record labels take chances, or at least they should do. Throw thirty things on a wall and one might stick.

Yes but was Italy really centre of a big soul movement?  Britain was...

Social source share

Yes but was Italy really centre of a big soul movement?  Britain was...

I know what you mean, but it was probably just another "discotheque record" for the heads at the Italian label. The Joe Quarterman LP on GSF from earlier in 1973 also got an Italian release and most likely was a decent seller and a big play at the discos. Perhaps they chanced on another GSF artist hoping for the same? Or had a multi-release deal in place. Hard to know now, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The soul/funk/r&b stuff that was released in Scandinavia for example (or US stuff that turns up here) is mind boggling at times.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!