• Replies 4
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest trickbag

Wheel rolls into Pendlebury

By Tony Flynn

The years were rolled back last Friday at Pendlebury Social Club, Swinton, when the club held the world premiere of a new film, "The Wheel".

The film which took nearly three years to make tells the story of a club in Manchester that helped change the face of popular music, and no its not the Hacienda, it is of course the legendary Twisted Wheel Club which was on Brazenose Street, Manchester.

This incredible film has been a labour of love for Steve Donoghue and his bunch of friends, the TWRRF4 group, who were all members of the club and big blues and soul music fans who decided that the club must be never forgotten, and so made this social documentary, "The Wheel".

The film gathers together all the names from the Manchester music scene, we have Ivor Abadi who first opened the club way back in 1963, Norman Beaker legendary soul musician, Frank Elson the writer for Blues and Soul magazine, DJ's Brian Rae, Ray Terrett, Roger Eagles, soul legend Geno Washington, even never seen before footage from the Wheel dating back to the early 1960's.

The film tells the story through interviews from fans both young and old who all share a love of soul music, the fashions are detailed, as are the scooters, the drugs, the records, the dancing,(remember putting talcum powder on the dance floor?) the musicians who played there and what an amazing line up that has played there over the years, such as Junior Walker and the All Stars, The Drifters, Edwin Starr, Marv Johnson, Ike and Tina Turner, Fontella Bass, Bob and Earl, Rod Stewart, Chris Farlowe, Elton John and amazingly the band, Cream played their first gig here.

This film in my humble opinion is a mini-masterpiece which deserves to be seen by a much wider audience, sadly the film is not licenced for public showing as it is a non-profit, educational, heritage film which has received funding to get the film made.

I have to mention the film premiere, it was great to see people as I said earlier of all ages, and sexes dressing up in mod gear, dancing to classic blues, soul and ska music, there was even a vintage Lambretta Li 150 scooter, complete with Union Jack side panels, festooned with mirrors, on which many fans, myself included had their picture taken on.

And as a final treat everybody who attended was given a free DVD of the film! How good is that?

On a sad note news reaches us that the site of the new Twisted Wheel club on Whitworth Street is to be demolished shortly, however Steve and the lads from TWRF4 have obtained permission to have a blue plaque erected on the new building, so that the memory of The Twisted Wheel will never be forgotten, as they say, Keep the Faith!

maybe someone could burn you a copy pete.

ricky.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!