Posh Venues ..soul Nights

Staceys Dad

has any of the major hotels in LONDON.... THE SAVOY....CLARIDGES....ect ever had a soul night put on there.....if not what has been the poshest place to have a soul night ....and what about any really posh places have you been to for a soul night......cant see them being to happy about talc on the floor though........

Social source share

has any of the major hotels in LONDON.... THE SAVOY....CLARIDGES....ect ever had a soul night put on there.....if not what has been the poshest place to have a soul night ....and what about any really posh places have you been to for a soul night......cant see them being to happy about talc on the floor though........

I seem to recall going to a Keb Darge night at Annabelles night club in the early 80s….

Social source share

Va Va Voom at Belair House in Dulwich is the poshest I've been allowed into. Was tugging my forlocks as I entered. 

Seriously though I much prefer quality venues like this to the usual large ballrooms. Such a perfect venue (if we could decant it to the Midlands) 

Social source share

Hilton Hotel. Edinburgh has to be the poshest place I've ever been to a soul night with bar prices to match. Pint of magners cider and a glass of coke was about £10

Chorley town hall used to be smart when roger banks used to run it

Bolton town hall must have the grandest entrance with that big sweeping double staircase

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

The Grand at Clitheroe try to be posh.. It states.. Smart Casual Dress.. No Shorts or Trainers it's Sunday

There are some awesome and splendid venues though.. Blackpool Tower.. Brighouse Ritz..Winding Wheel Chesterfield.. Burton Town Hall are 4 Superb Buildings for starters

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Never been to a do there myself, but surprised that no-one's mentioned Chateau Impney at Droitwich yet.

I'm sure they will . . . . . . . . :D

Chateau-Impney.jpg

Social source share

Never been to a do there myself, but surprised that no-one's mentioned Chateau Impney at Droitwich yet.

Chateau-Impney.jpg

Yeah, this place is mentioned on Wiki but I have never heard of it - keen to hear more.

I remember 'cutting a rug' at 'The Great Room' in The Grosvenor, Park Lane. It was in the nineties and not really a northern night, I just persuaded the dj to play a few tracks I had with me (coincidentally), and boogied in my black tie. Of course, I was very, very drunk, as the man says.

Apart from that the poshest I ever attended was a benefit held in Rochdale Town Hall for a guy who died without life insurance - biggest dance floor ever I reckon.

Social source share

In a lot of cases it's like watching Sumo wrestlers going through their ritual before getting stuck in.  Like you say, a lot of floors don't need it, and the majority of people using it need more than a bit of talc to improve their dancing.

From your comment you could be referring to me on the dance floor, talc can't improve my dancing, a great dance floor couldn't improve my dancing; it would require divine intervention to make me a good dancer. :yes:

Several pints of ale convinces me I look okay on the dance floor; the following morning mates remind me that I danced like 'uncle knob head' last night. Alcoholic amnesia is bliss.

A posh venue and sweaty soulies with well worn dancing shoes, bags (adidas and trousers), denim jackets with badges, lambretta polo shirts etc, the notion of posh venue and sweaty soulies almost seems a paradox.

All I need at a venue is a good dance floor, good DJ's, good music, good sound system and a cheap bar. Oh almost forgot - someone else driving! :hatsoff2:

Social source share

The Attic in Mansfield used to have soap in the ladies toilets (Steve Lydon told me), and it served lager beer!! PFM (posh for Mansfield) 

Indeed, and a bit old curtain in the gents for wiping :huh: ..... Those were the days my friend...

Yes indeed i hope to get to Va Va Voom in 2015.... I am told its a palace, a shandy drinkers paradise....

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I ain't ever been anywhere posh but if I had to say anywhere close to posh it would be the Napier Arms Pub in Gillingham because the toilets flushed and none of the windows are boarded up  :D

Social source share

I put the first Manchester European Soul Weekender on at The Palace Hotel, Manchester, that was a nice space. 

https://d2jxsuoefzj3jw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2013/07/PalaceHotelWeddings_1700-1700x776.jpg

The reception was nice too...

https://d2jxsuoefzj3jw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2013/07/Reception1New-1700x999.jpg

Social source share

The aldayers run by Richard Searling at the 4 star Dunkenhalgh hotel ,Clayton-Le-moor ,a very upmarket hotel .Felt right out of place wearing jeans and a t shirt .

I was going to say that 1975 & I believe the Tymes were on. I think the second one was cancelled!

Paul

Social source share

Guest son of stan

There was this club in central London in the 80s called The Limelight. An offshoot of some supposedly upscale gaff in Manhattan. It was a converted church on the corner of Charing Cross Road and Shaftesbury Avenue, launched to much media fanfare, hype and hoopla.

Anyway it fell flat on its arse from day one for some reason..but I do recall a rather odd Northern night we all went to there which was free and finished at about 3am a Tuesday morning!

And now I come to think of it...the same promoters put on an allnighter in what I think is now the Royal Society of Arts building on the Strand which is like Grade 1 listed or summat. Quite good but when we turned up for the second one... well, that's a different story...

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

well, it's probably pretty obvious to most, but, the hilton hotel in blackpool has to be a contender, though ive not been to any of the luxury soul weekenders there myself, but always a good line-up of djs and top acts from the usa...i have actually been in the hotel though, rooms pretty pricey but quality!.

Social source share

Indeed, and a bit old curtain in the gents for wiping :huh: ..... Those were the days my friend...

Yes indeed i hope to get to Va Va Voom in 2015.... I am told its a palace, a shandy drinkers paradise....

Bloody hell was there a gents ? I used to empty over the balcony onto the car park

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Chateau-Impney.jpg

don't know if this is right  bit I heard that droitwich hosted the first nighters the raven hotel

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!