Larry Clinton Info?

Guest Johnnie K

Guest Johnnie K

Dear Soul Source Members

Hi I'm Johnnie K from Auckland New Zealand. Has anybody got any information on Larry Clinton? He is best known in Northern Soul circles for She's Wanted [in Three States] written by Eddie Holman. The most information I have ever found is at Sir Shambling's Deep Soul Heaven: https://www.sirshambling.com/artists_2012/C/larry_clinton/index.php. He disappeared. Somebody in Britain or America must know. I would be very grateful if anyone does have any information.

All I know is he did two singles: This would be my prayer / Walking with Willie ~ LAWN 247 (1964)

She’s wanted (in three states) / If I knew ~ DYMO 300 (1967).

Thanks for your help.

Social source share

Last month we went to see Eddie Holman who performed 'She's wanted' and he gave a brief explanation of the Larry Clinton character, roughly translated I took the description to mean Clinton was a hard man and gangster but was respected for great vocals.

If he has disappeared it may be the criminal underground managing personnel issues, alternatively he may have decided a career change and doesn't want to be found.   :shhh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Last month we went to see Eddie Holman who performed 'She's wanted' and he gave a brief explanation of the Larry Clinton character, roughly translated I took the description to mean Clinton was a hard man and gangster but was respected for great vocals.

If he has disappeared it may be the criminal underground managing personnel issues, alternatively he may have decided a career change and doesn't want to be found.   :shhh:

I had chance to speak with Eddie many years ago at an allnighter and had similar told to me that Larry was indeed a man you didn't want to mess with, a gangster that could sing really. He wasn't really forthcoming with any other info which i took to mean it was a subject best left well alone. Not unusual if you think what Philly was like at the time and also other singers with equally dodgy backgrounds!  

Social source share

I believe his full name was Larry Clinton Jones 

Not much is known about him other than anecdote from peers of the day. Jerry Williams used to share an apartment with him and echoed the comments made by Eddie Holman that he was rather a volatile character. Jerry reported that Larry died in the 60s after some sort of confrontation or street brawl ... I guess if you had the time and inclination you could start searching old newspapers or death records to see if anything is recorded

The only other time we know of him singing was as a backing vocalist, with Jerry, on 'I'll Be Back' by Jimmy Wallace (Alpha Records) ... but he pobably did other stuff as well

Andy   

Edited by Andy Rix
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

The only other time we know of him singing was as a backing vocalist, with Jerry, on 'I'll Be Back' by Jimmy Wallace (Alpha Records) ... but he pobably did other stuff as well

Maybe it's just me. But I love these little snippets of information. Thanks!

Social source share

i have a 45 by a larry clinton & orch...very early late 50's early 60's..

Yeah but he's a completely different person! I remember a certain dealer trying to pass off a big band jazz record by Larry Clinton the trumpeter/band leader as being the Philly soul man. Very unethical...

As you can see, the other LC cut a rather dashing figure though :D

post-1918-0-65022000-1415262602_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I believe his full name was Larry Clinton Jones 

Not much is known about him other than anecdote from peers of the day. Jerry Williams used to share an apartment with him and echoed the comments made by Eddie Holman that he was rather a volatile character. Jerry reported that Larry died in the 60s after some sort of confrontation or street brawl ... I guess if you had the time and inclination you could start searching old newspapers or death records to see if anything is recorded

Andy   

Would one of the family history internet sites be able to provide some information?

If LC Jones died in Philly in the 60's there should be a date of death on their State records; that may lead to persons who knew and identified him for death certificate purposes. The people who knew him may be willing to share their memories and possibly photo's. 

Social source share

Yeah but he's a completely different person! I remember a certain dealer trying to pass off a big band jazz record by Larry Clinton the trumpeter/band leader as being the Philly soul man. Very unethical...

As you can see, the other LC cut a rather dashing figure though :D

attachicon.giflarry clinton.JPG

What a combination - Larry Clinton and Buddy Smith!

post-9478-0-33196200-1415265363_thumb.jp

If only…  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a shame that we can't pinpoint/highlight his singing career a little more focused but I suspect his history is lost in the sands of time now. When I've asked around town about him, the response has been similar to above but with the added dimension of 'he liked a tipple or two'.  Weldon McDougall said he wasn't a pleasant bloke to work with which may account for the sporadic output and a lack of an 'anchor' label/company for his work.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!