Brighouse Ritz Sold

Understand that the Ritz has been sold and that the owner, Alan, will be closing the doors for the last time this Sunday.  I've heard that the new owners will be putting on more events and bands but not sure what this means for the monthly soul nights and the "repossessed" night.  Better go to the mini all Dayer on Sunday in case it's the last time we can!

Anyone have any more information?

Social source share

Just a thought; if Ginger's bought it we could be filling our boots with NS........

I understand the venue has a preservation order, knocking it down and building a car park is out of the question.

The new owner will doubtless want to make money on the venue and I can think of a few people on the scene who have historically been very good at promoting events and making loads of money; that knowledge won't be lost on the new owner.

Let's just hope the venue doesn't suffer the historic misfortune of other venues by getting burned down accidently on purpose during refurbishment.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

When I win the lottery tonite im gonna buy the biggest dance hall in England and gonna make all nighters free admission with 4 or 5 rooms to please all

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be sorry to see Alan go.

Top guy, I'm sure he'll miss the place.

Anyone know who the mystery new owner is?

It's a brave man to take on a venue like the Ritz. 

Apart from the Northern Soul night which I understand is the biggest earner of all and the Motown nights I recon the rock and roll and ballroom dancing folk must be a diminishing return. I suppose the NS night has to be good for a few more years as long as they don't bring in a policy banning zimmer frames.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When I win the lottery tonite im gonna buy the biggest dance hall in England and gonna make all nighters free admission with 4 or 5 rooms to please all

I've often thought this, but I'd make it special invite only, mind you, all soul-sourcers would get an invite of course, and maybe a free pressing on the door, Speaking of which, I remember when the Ritz dayers used to give away pressings away on the door, I was made up to get a Coasters Crazy Baby once, nice touch that was for a young en like me at the time.

Edit: should say, the was Ritz Manchester, not Ritz Brig. :)

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

get ready for the next 6 months of final nights.

I still have the complimentary CD fron the original last night on the 10th anniversary back in December 2007 so there already has been another 7 years of last nights :) .Seriously though i hope the venue lasts a few more years especially now the Repossesed nights initiative is breathing a bit of life back into the place.

Social source share

I've picked the right numbers for tonight, only need Camelot to be competent enough to draw those numbers out; over the last 20 years I have always found them incompetent when it comes to drawing the correct numbers but suspect I am not alone in my assessment. :yes:

They get it right tonight and I will arrange for a promoter to organise an event worthy of that dance floor.

Social source share

same old records played over and over up at ritz went a few months back and it was the same tunes as 5 years ago. I wont really miss the place. :hatsoff2:

I think you are spot on with your comment.

Obviously it depends a lot on who the guest DJ's are but generally it's pretty much the same regurgitated tunes. 

Haven't been to the Repossessed night yet, maybe that's better. Must give it a try but I think with it being the week after the normal NS night and the venue on Leeds Road Huddersfield on the same night I'd be interested to know how well it's attended.

Social source share

Used to go to Brighouse regularly in the Tony Banks era (90's) and up to early naughties....great venue....and far superior to it's name sake in Manchester since the latter's refurb. Sam used to be on quite regularly. Not been for ages as it turned into the local "grab-a-granny" and ended up brawling on last two trips. Would be a shame if it went though and I hope Pete (Casper)can keep it up and doesn't suffer from the local beermonsters.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!