Billy Arnell - Tough Girl

Ady Potts

Great post mate! Always liked this tune, not because of its stand out brilliance but, because of the first time I heard back in the '70s the memories that it evokes - but that's another story ;-)

Social source share

I loved this at Wigan, tried to buy a copy of Richard, he'd let it go the week before, that killed me at the time.

To be honest, it's dated now, sounds like something by Russ Conway played an Blackpool tower organ now, still, it was a great atmospheric tune in the main hall, it was of its time.

Anyone remember the horrible vocal?

Was it Sammy Davis Jr or was that a cover up name, I seem to remember?

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

There are always interesting back stories to these 45s ….. Billy Smith changed his surname to Arnell for the 45 release as he thought it sounded more showbiz ! … he was actually only 14 at the time but as the band were gigging in bars he had to pretend he was much older

Billy and Lou started the group together .. they lived less than a block apart in Fair Lawn NJ.  Later they added friends: Eddie Hoffman (organ) and Jack Gullone (drums).

Eddie became a teacher somewhere in Long Island. Jack ended up living in Northern NJ. He graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in Massachusetts.

The group played all over locally and by chance, meet Joe Martin of Apex-Martin Distributors in Newark, NJ. That meeting  led to the "Tough Girl" recording session.  

When they did the first version of Tough Girl, the producer (the original one) wasn't happy - nor was Joe Martin.  So he fired that producer and brought in George Kerr.   George didn't like the band, so they redid the entire thing without the Sparkels, only with Billy singing and Lou on guitar. George brought in Eric Gale on guitar, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie on drums, Bobbie Banks on Organ, and a forgotten bass player. In addition they used the studio horn section that Lou arranged for plus two trumpets, two saxes and two vibes players.

Billy ended up starting a record company and a recording studio in NY with a partner named Steve Loeb

Lou went on to have a very impressive career in the music industry which you can see here  https://www.louhemsey.com/About_Lou_Hemsey.html

Andy

Great stuff Andy.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Informative stuff as always Mr Rix...but can anyone remember what it was covered up as? I have a long running (good natured) argument with Flynn-san of Tokyo, who was far too young to be there :-) , but I can remember charging up to the stage at St Ives and yelling "what's this?"...and the answer came "The Sparkles - New Jersey Pike"...anyone confirm please?

Social source share

Informative stuff as always Mr Rix...but can anyone remember what it was covered up as? I have a long running (good natured) argument with Flynn-san of Tokyo, who was far too young to be there :-) , but I can remember charging up to the stage at St Ives and yelling "what's this?"...and the answer came "The Sparkles - New Jersey Pike"...anyone confirm please?

Never heard that before Jerry, so must have been a different c/u name...or was not covered at all at Wigan

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Martyn Smith from Bedford, who has an extraordinary memory regarding all things St. Ives, claims that this, along with many other sounds, were St.Ives firsts. I only did a Wigan twice that year (77) and fore end and back end of the year and remember St. Ives really giving Wigan a run for its money, both in terms of the crowds and quality of sounds. It was a long time ago, so my memory may be "spiked". :-)

Social source share

Martyn Smith from Bedford, who has an extraordinary memory regarding all things St. Ives, claims that this, along with many other sounds, were St.Ives firsts. I only did a Wigan twice that year (77) and fore end and back end of the year and remember St. Ives really giving Wigan a run for its money, both in terms of the crowds and quality of sounds. It was a long time ago, so my memory may be "spiked". :-)

spot on and clees macca, billy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why would George Kerr have been draughted in on this? Did he do Pop stuff as well the more obvious sounds he's associated with? 

I was thinking that too macca. I thought George Kerr was pretty much a black artistes only producer, or was Billy Arnell black? I've never heard one of his productions sound as poppy as the Billy Arnell record.

Edited by jordirip
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soultanforreal

It was and is a fantastic sound black, white whatever colour its soul was in brilliant dancer inerpretation out on the floor and yes it was never better than at st ives 77 maybe someone should do a film on those other venues might be a tadge gentler than the one just done

Social source share

I was thinking that too macca. I thought George Kerr was pretty much a black artistes only producer, or was Billy Arnell black? I've never heard one of his productions sound as poppy as the Billy Arnell record.

Presumably thats him in the photo of the album sleeve holding the guitar, looks pretty much like a black man to me  :lol: although he could be one of the other 8 black men in the photo (yes I counted up, nine members named in The Brothers and nine men in the photo. Would these be the same 'The Brothers' who recorded the anthemic "Are You Ready For This" on RCA?) 

btw - Am I alone in thinking a lot of black artists were trying their best to sound white enough for plays on the white pop radio of the day (think of the many Drifters sound-a-like bands there were, for example) after all they were all trying to make hit records.... weren't they ? :wink:

Social source share

Billy appears on the far right  of this photo with Riot, a heavy metal outfit he and Steve Loeb signed in 1975. It's the only pic of him I can find.

https://books.google.es/books?id=ZyQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=billy+arnell+fire+sign&source=bl&ots=E_KBBecY8p&sig=ZfeMwy61mcRMELnSAH7C8x1NcNc&hl=es&sa=X&ei=qh1VVOnvEJDjasSmgZAD&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by macca
Social source share

Billy appears on the far left of this photo with Riot, a heavy metal outfit he and Steve Loeb signed in 1975. It's the only pic of him I can find.

https://books.google.es/books?id=ZyQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=billy+arnell+fire+sign&source=bl&ots=E_KBBecY8p&sig=ZfeMwy61mcRMELnSAH7C8x1NcNc&hl=es&sa=X&ei=qh1VVOnvEJDjasSmgZAD&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Well here's another  (at least I think it's him) - all their names are helpfully written on and arrowed in marker pen :D

post-1918-0-12853900-1414865532_thumb.jp

Social source share

Presumably thats him in the photo of the album sleeve holding the guitar, looks pretty much like a black man to me  :lol: although he could be one of the other 8 black men in the photo (yes I counted up, nine members named in The Brothers and nine men in the photo. Would these be the same 'The Brothers' who recorded the anthemic "Are You Ready For This" on RCA?) 

btw - Am I alone in thinking a lot of black artists were trying their best to sound white enough for plays on the white pop radio of the day (think of the many Drifters sound-a-like bands there were, for example) after all they were all trying to make hit records.... weren't they ? :wink:

For some reason I always thought he was white John.

Social source share

The singer of the vocal version of Tough Girl is black? I'd take a lot of convincing...

Social source share

The Instrumental was the Big sound in the 70's, not the vocal.

It's a great instrumental, and when played loud in a venue it does sound atmospheric! Trouble is when ever it's played now it's always the vocal that's played.

Not a record for the deep soul fans!

The newspaper cutting is a great piece of lost music history, enjoyed reading it.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Well here's another  (at least I think it's him) - all their names are helpfully written on and arrowed in marker pen :D

attachicon.gif1975.jpg

I'd seen that photo but wasn't sure that it was the same Billy Arnell, unlike the one with his partner at Fire Sign, Steve Loeb. The Billy Arnell featured in the group shot are of a west coast band called the Stumpbreakers. Could be him though. Apart from them recording hard rock acts like Riot he and Loeb recorded many of the nascent NYC Hip Hop acts of the early 80s. 

Social source share

There's another Billy Arnell who died in 2012 and was known on Youtube as BM_MIDI. He was based in NYC and well respected musician and contributor the Cakewalk forum. Not sure if it's "our" Billy boy though. 

Edited by macca
Social source share

The Sprinkles - New Jersey Connection

Ref Shades of Soul Issue 11 (article by Andy Rix/Richard Domar)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It was and is a fantastic sound black, white whatever colour its soul was in brilliant dancer inerpretation out on the floor and yes it was never better than at st ives 77 maybe someone should do a film on those other venues might be a tadge gentler than the one just done

nope..........just a pop tune....nothing more nothing less

Social source share

It might be a pop record, and I'm all for maintaining the soul content, but accepting that the Northern scene hasn't always concerned itself too much with that I have always thought of this record as a NS dancers dream of a record.......atmospheric, the drum rolls, break down etc. Love it.....of its time....

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!