Dave Moore

Top 3 Dinner Guests

The Mohammed Ali post got me thinkin'..... It's an old question but worth asking again I reckon.

If you had the opportunity to sit down to dinner with 3 people, living or dead, who would you choose and why?

Mine:

Phurba Tashi: 

Climbs Everest for fun. (Not quite but you know what I mean).  Is unique in that he has done things no other human being has ever done and simply keeps doing it, quietly, matter of factly, with the largest  helping of humble pie you can imagine.  A proper bloke. An inspirational figure and like most of them, has no idea of how his achievements have influenced so many others, including myself.

Winston Churchill

Really because the are a number of decisions he made during vey dark times, that resulted in 10s of thousands of people dying for what would be considered today as futile exercises.  Not to chastise the man, or even to criticise him but rather to get inside his head and try to understand how the time, era and circumstances influenced his decision processes and how he lived the rest of his life with that burden.

My Grandad Joe

He died when I was 6.   Fought as a Desert Rat in WW2. Died of a stroke alone on the settee having lost his wife to TB a couple of years earlier.  Along with his two brothers, was the town window cleaner and apparently a bit of a character. By all accounts he was a great Grandad who took me everywhere, taught me snooker at the WMC, took me on the Match as soon as I could walk and was  intent on building up some memories for me before he left us. (He was ill too). Sadly, I was too young to remember him properly so it would be great to finally meet him, now that I'm a Grandad, so I could ask him how I'm doing at it.  

Who would you like to sit down and break bread with.... ? 

Regards,

Dave

Sylvia Cecil, a D'Oyly Carte Opera Company member from the age of 19 who went on to just mediocre success in the musical theatre, always working, but never getting the breaks she deserved, because she was undervalued I'd like to know how she felt.

Sir Edwin Landseer the Victorian artist who painted animals so well that occasionally human emotions could be seen in the animals he portrayed.  Because he was close enough to Queen Victoria to have some bits of salacious gossip that probably aren't that well known, also I'd like to ask him about some of his paintings.

Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States and all round good guy.  Because he's such an inspirational character, born asthmatic, but goes on to lead a full and strenuous life.

Edited by TattooDave

Sylvia Cecil, a D'Oyly Carte Opera Company member from the age of 19 who went on to just mediocre success in the musical theatre, always working, but never getting the breaks she deserved, because she was undervalued I'd like to know how she felt.

Sir Edwin Landseer the Victorian artist who painted animals so well that occasionally human emotions could be seen in the animals he portrayed.  Because he was close enough to Queen Victoria to have some bits of salacious gossip that probably aren't that well known, also I'd like to ask him about some of his paintings.

Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States and all round good guy.  Because he's such an inspirational character, born asthmatic, but goes on to be lead a full and strenuous life.

:thumbsup:

Alexandra Bastedo - for me the most beautiful woman ever to have walked this planet (apart from the missus;-) - be nice to have a corker like her in the room.

Sir Keith Park, commander of 11 Group in south east England during the Battle of Britain. His steadfastness, clear cut decision making and his absolute refusal to believe in defeat - love him to tell how it was.

Van McCoy, one of the greatest, so underrated and almost unknown - sure he'd have us all singing by the end of the evening.

My 3 reserves, just in case any of the above couldn't make it would be

General Bill Slim - commander 14th Army in Burma.

Winston Churchill - but hide the chocolates  ;-)

General Montgomery - if he could let others have a say  :-)

Left out out anybody from my family - of course all of them should be there, my 2 Grandfathers, both whom fought in WWI, Mum, Dad & Uncles John & Peter all served, Dad in RAF (Irish volunteer), Mum is NAAFI ;-) Peter Royal Marines & John Merchant Navy. Never knew my Dad's father, he died in the 1930s, an Irishman who volunteered for fight in the British army, only have one old photo of him, would have loved to see him interact with my Dad. Both thought better to fight the Germans in Europe than on the streets of Dublin.

Which ever human was presiding over Egypt at the time of the start of the building of the pyramids.

Jesus 'H' Christ.

Aleister Crowley.

With a caveat there would be no carpenter or technical building talk. 

Turbot in Red wine as the main. Ha.

I like this question.

For some mental stimulation.

Peter Ustinov.

Oscar Wild.

Groucho Marx.

For another type of stimulation...

Rachel Riley.

Fiona Bruce.

Alex Polizzi.....but I think we'll just skip desert and retire to the lounge to get a little more comfortable, whoever said three was a crowd.

:-P

I like this question.

For some mental stimulation.

Peter Ustinov.

Oscar Wild.

Groucho Marx.

For another type of stimulation...

Rachel Riley.

Fiona Bruce.

Alex Polizzi.....but I think we'll just skip desert and retire to the lounge to get a little more comfortable, whoever said three was a crowd.

:-P

Stephen Fry................for the conversation

Groucho Marx..........to make me laugh

Michael Hutchence................bit of eye candy just to look at    :yes:  :wink:

Spike Milligan .... In the early 80s I worked in a private Psychiatric Clinic in Harrow on the Hill, where I was one the nurses who helped care for him, he was a huge personality albeit a very troubled one, when he was lucid he was a very interesting man and I think in a different setting he would be a very worthy dinner guest.

Billy Connolly .... for his Scottish humour of real life situations to which I can relate to, he has however moved away from his roots and I would love to ask him where and when he forgot his real roots and his support for the common man and now Lairds it up large in his Scottish pile with his celebrity pals.

Marylin Munroe ... to even the numbers and to watch how the other 2 react to her outstanding beauty ... but mainly to ask her about what really happened with JFK and the security services regarding her affair and to find out why she had to be kept quiet, what did she really know.

Forget the stimulating conversation lets have a good old row,

Rio Ferdinand

Germaine Greer

and just to spice it all up...Alf Garnett.........A pair of ear defenders and fence to sit on

but seriously Audrey Tautou for the glamour,

David Niven with his wealth of Hollywood stories

Lance Armstrong to ask him how he feels about robbing seven cyclists of their place in history

Ghandi - to try and understand the inspiration and single mindedness of one of the greatest individuals of the 20th century.

Lee Harvey Oswald - to ask the obvious question.

Gary Larson - to ask where his bizarre but wonderfully humorous ideas come from.

The Mohammed Ali post got me thinkin'..... It's an old question but worth asking again I reckon.

If you had the opportunity to sit down to dinner with 3 people, living or dead, who would you choose and why?

Mine:

Phurba Tashi: 

Climbs Everest for fun. (Not quite but you know what I mean).  Is unique in that he has done things no other human being has ever done and simply keeps doing it, quietly, matter of factly, with the largest  helping of humble pie you can imagine.  A proper bloke. An inspirational figure and like most of them, has no idea of how his achievements have influenced so many others, including myself.

Winston Churchill

Really because the are a number of decisions he made during vey dark times, that resulted in 10s of thousands of people dying for what would be considered today as futile exercises.  Not to chastise the man, or even to criticise him but rather to get inside his head and try to understand how the time, era and circumstances influenced his decision processes and how he lived the rest of his life with that burden.

My Grandad Joe

He died when I was 6.   Fought as a Desert Rat in WW2. Died of a stroke alone on the settee having lost his wife to TB a couple of years earlier.  Along with his two brothers, was the town window cleaner and apparently a bit of a character. By all accounts he was a great Grandad who took me everywhere, taught me snooker at the WMC, took me on the Match as soon as I could walk and was  intent on building up some memories for me before he left us. (He was ill too). Sadly, I was too young to remember him properly so it would be great to finally meet him, now that I'm a Grandad, so I could ask him how I'm doing at it.  

Who would you like to sit down and break bread with.... ? 

Regards,

Dave

Wang Xiangzhai

John Chang

Guo Yunshen

(if 3 includes the interpreter I would drop Wang Xianzhair)

SIR DAVID ATTENBOROUGH.........LIVING LEGEND.......

LUCKY LUCIANO....BIGGEST GANGSTER OF THEM ALL.....

BERRY GORDY......MUSICAL LEGEND...

and a nice indian meal and real ale....

Don't you have these 2 mixed round ?

Curtis Mayfield      Genius !

Bobby Hutton (black panther)   to show him it really was worth it

A 1st world war soldier who got shot suffering from shell shock     to tell him it really wasn't his fault 

Wang Xiangzhai

John Chang

Guo Yunshen

(if 3 includes the interpreter I would drop Wang Xianzhair)

With all due respect … who?

Theres been a couple of names of people I've not heard of but all 3 of yours…...

Theres been a couple of names of people I've not heard of but all 3 of yours…...

They're all exponents of the Martial Arts.  Be a bit boring all 3 of them babbling on about was the best Kung Fu'er  though I'd have thought?  Best to pull back a rug and let 'em go at it eh?   :lol:  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

My top 3 would be Gail, my Wife, cos she's funny, well read & informed plus a great cook, the other 2 would be my Granny Eva who passed away in 1967 & my Dad who passed in 1995, because they were two of the nicest people I've ever met & I miss them so much even after all this time & I'd just love to be able to chat,laugh, hear their voices & tell them how much they meant to me & how much I love them. :shhh:  :hatsoff2: 

Silly Old Sloppy Old Spot. :shades: 

Edited by spot

John Chang search for Dynamo Jack, I would take my own newspaper though, I just would wan't to make sure this ain't a trick... following link 2:44

The over 2 guys are legends, search for Yiquan for more info, they were not boring dudes.....   if it don't interest you yea you'll find it boring.

They're all exponents of the Martial Arts.  Be a bit boring all 3 of them babbling on about was the best Kung Fu'er  though I'd have thought?  Best to pull back a rug and let 'em go at it eh?   :lol:  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Yea real boring, if you ain't into something it's boring as waitin for hens teeth to grow, remember the BBC Top of the Pops when Dexys were performing their cover of the Van Morrison song Jackie Wilson Said, a tribute to one of the greatest soul singers, but the background was showing a widescreen panacea portrait which featured not Jackie Wilson but a grinning mugshot of Jocky Wilson, who at that time was a household name darts player.... and all because the stage designer found the Dexy's subject matter a tad boring...

Yea real boring, if you ain't into something it's boring as waitin for hens teeth to grow, remember the BBC Top of the Pops when Dexys were performing their cover of the Van Morrison song Jackie Wilson Said, a tribute to one of the greatest soul singers, but the background was showing a widescreen panacea portrait which featured not Jackie Wilson but a grinning mugshot of Jocky Wilson, who at that time was a household name darts player.... and all because the stage designer found the Dexy's subject matter a tad boring...

I remember the incident on TOTP, but just thought it was from ignorance rather than finding Dexy's hit boring.  The BBC aren't all clever, some are just good at pulling the wool over people's eyes

Hi Dave

James Bridie said  "Boredom is a sign of satisfied ignorance, blunted apprehension, crass sympathies, dull understanding, feeble powers of attention, and irreclaimable weakness of character", yea, yea, I got the point after ignorance, Witty Playrights don't half go on....

As for the BBC hell they lost their way a long time ago...  their so called TV Licence to be replaced anytime soon by a Media Access Licence, where everyone in the land with a mobile phone or access to media has to pay for a British Media Access Licence, or whatever they're plannin to call it.... why would Teresa May give authority for the Met Police to buy several Water Canons... what reaction to what new law are they waitin for, remember the Poll Tax...

DeadPool

p.s. all the above written in the spirit of "allegedly and without prejudice"

Genghis khan henry the 8th and cleopatra,be good to see genghis give henry a good kickin to get in cleos draws.

Whatcha gonna cook for Genghis, what can you do with mutton and yogurt?  Let's see Saturday Kitchen cook their way out of that canudoodle

I remember the incident on TOTP, but just thought it was from ignorance rather than finding Dexy's hit boring.  The BBC aren't all clever, some are just good at pulling the wool over people's eyes

Or maybe the guy at the BBC is or was one of the many thousands responsible for the 30 thousand or so mis-spelt Xmas cards that Satan receives each year...  as quoted by QI

Or maybe the guy at the BBC is or was one of the many thousands responsible for the 30 thousand or so mis-spelt Xmas cards that Satan receives each year...  as quoted by QI

i.e. dyslexic? and I believe miss-spelt is actually spelt with two s before the hyphen. Edited by TattooDave

i.e. dyslexic? and I believe miss-spelt is actually spelt with two s before the hyphen.

Lol...   excuseme I hva phonological deficit how nieces of you to poynt it owt to mea an da hole wyde worwld...

Regards,

Dave

Wow the Alfred Hitchcock school of cliche advoidance was applied instead of reverting to the old "just use a gun on em, se em use their MA then/against that", anti martial artists riposte, very cleverly avoided, although guns could end the tension much quicker. (BANG! – "ooh, ya got me!").  A never heard the let em fight it out on the rug/mat scenario, ever.

Hey who need MA unless your MacGyver, although he's not above firing a gear change handle out of a cannon, as long as he converted the cannon out of a car exhaust, with his own hands.

Sorry, I use humor to deflect my insecurities. Plus, I’m hilarious, so don’t hate.

Brian Clough

Margie Hendrix

Stephen Fry

Standby would be - Sammy Davis Jr, Kenneth Williams, Les Dawson and Eric Morecambe

Brian Clough aka Cluffy.... Magical Man

"We talk about it for twenty minutes and we decide I was right"  On being questioned by a Player

Don't make em like that any more

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.